ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasonable minds can disagree! Please re read my post as I think you have misinterpreted what I wrote. If the person inquiring names the patient, then the medical office is not releasing PHI. Usually the office has a policy in place not to release that information. It's not always black and white because there are exceptions. Additionally, a doctor's office must be a covered entity or else they are not bound by HIPAA. MOO.
Signed, someone who works with HIPAA issues all day every day 5 days a week.
Yesss, this. Thanks for articulating my point better. I absolutely would not speak to a reporter and a doctor office would absolutely be mortified if someone did. It may not be ethical or right but it isn't a HIPAA violation. Maybe, It could fall under someone other violation just not HIPAA. IMO and experience as well.

Even the "child bearing hips" is in my view possibly a reference to The Office episode to see if she watched that very popular show. I have seen lots of people mimic Dwight Shruit making that statement.
My first thought was "oh surely not" but there's just no telling with this guy. I do think we can't know how he meant it without knowing exactly how he said it. And we'll never know that unless she still has his messages, which is doubtful at best. :)

Reasonable minds can disagree! Please re read my post as I think you have misinterpreted what I wrote. If the person inquiring names the patient, then the medical office is not releasing PHI. Usually the office has a policy in place not to release that information. It's not always black and white because there are exceptions. Additionally, a doctor's office must be a covered entity or else they are not bound by HIPAA. MOO.
Signed, someone who works with HIPAA issues all day every day 5 days a week.
While I'm pretty sick of this discussion, I just cant stop jumping into it! If you deal with HIPAA all day, you may want a refresher from your privacy POC. With no primary purpose that is permissible (eg a person trying to reach a patient room which has some presumed patient benefit), the disclosure you described is not allowed under hipaa.

IMO, of what we can observe now, BK is a pretty regular guy. He was a PhD student, TA, well groomed, evidently raised no suspicions among colleagues, students, neighbors, receptionists, medical providers, even his father in the days after a horrible crime. He is reportedly a cooperative prisoner. I think there is a tendency to dig for some reason why this seemingly normal person who committed an awful crime is not normal so we can spot the next criminal, but I don't know if we really can. The last case I followed closely was Mollie Tibbetts, and her killer was also evidently a normal guy - hard worker, decent father, etc. Nobody suspected anything. IMO, this is what is scariest.
Agree! Evil don't look like anything.

And Mollie Tibbetts still breaks my heart. I'll never drive past a corn field and have the same happy feelings again. :(

I think “very common” is a stretch. I have never been told that nor recall any of my friend’s being told that by men. IMO, it’s an old wives tale, as they assumed women with arched hip circumference could more easily bear children than their petite counterparts. This in and of itself is inaccurate. But as for it being commonly said…nahhh.
Thanks, IcreCreamSundae. I've been quite fortunate to work professionally with men who have generally been very respectful toward their female colleagues and students, and wondered if my experience was an anomaly.

Glad you don't think it's common for men to say these kind of horrific things to women.

That’s a great point that maybe BK did carry a gun on him - good theory.
I have also wondered several times about the seeming lack of screaming, especially since two of the rooms had 2 people in them and in 1 room at least one person was likely awake (Xana/door dash situation)
carried a gun? Extremely doubtful.
the girs were not in school owned housing, but he was. In washington state (and Idaho) you can neither carry, nor even possesses, a firearms on campus nor in Univ housing (unless you are ex law Enforcement with a special type of enhanced permit.)
That 8" knife is not designed to cook with, not to whittle with, it is designed to kill people. It is going to cause profound trauma. And do we picture him holding a weapons in each hand??

Is there a link for the coroner confirming that was blood?

It looks like blood to me.

I think he will end up pleading guilty, though I don't believe "he thinks he committed the perfect crime." I think he will plead guilty because he'll come to realize - after seeing all the evidence - that he's likely to be convicted and face the death penalty. He'll also realize that the evidence and testimony is likely to be extremely embarrassing to himself personally, and I think that's something he couldn't stand. So, he'll plead guilty to avoid the death penalty and spare himself major personal embarrassment, knowing that he can spend the rest of his life in prison reading and writing about criminology, giving out interviews to journalists of his choosing, etc.
I don't think he will plead guilty. He knows the likelihood of receiving a death sentence in that county are slim and the chances of it actually being carried out are even slimmer. He will enjoy the thrill of battle of the trial.

His lady lawyer will probably give him some nice quality disposable razors.
Attorneys/public defenders, that happen to be female, are not "lady lawyers". They are professional officers of the court and do not attend to the personal grooming needs of the clients, who they were assigned to represent, by the court.

You are correct. HIPAA prohibits the unauthorized disclosure of PHI by a CE. Name is PHI and a medical office is a CE. (Not directed at you: (1) merely asking the question is not a violation and (2) there’s no private cause of action for a violation).
Thank you. Yes, of course, a private citizen asking the question is not a violation because said person is not a covered entity.

I am so glad these rules are in place, otherwise angry people (like exes or even coworkers) could get information about your health status from any provider and use that info against you. "Is John Smith a patient here at your drug rehab facility?"

While I'm pretty sick of this discussion, I just cant stop jumping into it! If you deal with HIPAA all day, you may want a refresher from your privacy POC. With no primary purpose that is permissible (eg a person trying to reach a patient room which has some presumed patient benefit), the disclosure you described is not allowed under hipaa.
My 2 cents. I used to work for the government. We had to follow HIPPA rules and IRS rules regarding disclosure. I never acknowledged knowing anything about anyone, to the point if I saw that person on the street or in the store I didn't acknowledge I knew them so that the person with me didn't speculate HOW I knew them. That's how far I took confidentiality.

The penalty for IRS disclosure was 5 yrs in prison, $20K fine. I can't remember the HIPPA penalty, but probably just as severe.

Agree! Evil don't look like anything.

And Mollie Tibbetts still breaks my heart. I'll never drive past a corn field and have the same happy feelings again. :(
Same here. I also used to run and bike on rural roads and don't much anymore. After MT and other attacks on both men and women, It just didn't feel safe. It's sad. Idaho is scarier yet.

Thank you. Yes, of course, a private citizen asking the question is not a violation because said person is not a covered entity.

I am so glad these rules are in place, otherwise angry people (like exes or even coworkers) could get information about your health status from any provider and use that info against you. "Is John Smith a patient here at your drug rehab facility?"
Just one quick note a name is 'an identifier' not phi . medical information is the PHI. If an identifier can by associated in any way with the medical information then its a violation. IMO

So I researched this and I thought I read this in MSM but the only information I can find on it is not credible so please discount my post. There is no evidence BK blamed a fraternity unless someone sees it quoted by a reliable source in MSM.

Apparently an anonymous person posted on Facebook that a fraternity could have committed the murders. Then there has been speculation that BK is this specific poster.

Hardly credible information so please ignore this information. My apologies, thank you for bringing it up.

Friend of Bryan Kohberger says it is him saying he was asked by frats boys how to 'get away with murder' in discussion of Idaho slayings - as tape is passed to FBI​

aking to TikTok to address a clip from a podcast discussing the November Idaho murders that has gone viral online, Arntz stated that she recognized the voice of the caller in the clip as Kohberger's, after the audio sent the internet into a furor.
Friend of suspect murderer claims podcast caller IS Bryan Kohberger
this is where that speculation about possibly deflecting onto fraternity comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette