ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In some States the prosecution first must try to seat a jury in the County the crime happened. This can be done with jury questionnaires and interviewing some of the jurors.

Then the defense would file a Motion as to why the make up of the jury is unfair to the defendant and ask for change of venue.

In other States, a change of venue can be granted right away without trying to sit a jury first.

Would have to research how Idaho does their change of venue.
Are you familiar with the Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow upcoming trial in Idaho? The murders of her children (among others) was hugely publicized, much like this case (tons of media + many Dateline specials, etc.). They've moved the venue to Ada County in order to find an impartial jury. That's why I think it could happen with BCK's case, too.

Im really curious...

So
Now as he is in Moscow - is he being interrogated every day?

You know - a good cop/bad cop, interrogation room with cameras, a big see-through mirror, etc?

Or even FBI profiler?
Like - tricky questions to trip him?

Or is my imagination running wild (again)? :cool:

I'd also like to interject something here re: DM and her "frozen fear phase." I was watching a show the other evening about death row inmates. One of the inmate's sisters talks about their past childhood trauma. She mentions as a child, someone who she could not remember regularly entered her bedroom to molest her. She said she went into a "frozen fear" type of shock - couldn't move and couldn't really remember what happened. That's the first time I've heard someone describe that condition since hearing about it regarding DM's reaction to seeing BCK in her house.
Fight, Flight, Freeze, Fawn

From webmd:
“The fight response is your body’s way of facing any perceived threat aggressively. Flight means your body urges you to run from danger. Freeze is your body’s inability to move or act against a threat. Fawn is your body’s stress response to try to please someone to avoid conflict.

The goal of the fight, flight, freeze, and fawn response is to decrease, end, or evade danger”

Severe enough trauma can cause memory loss, as well. I have a friend who can’t remember parts of her childhood because of this.

The Tapatalk posts that I do believe belong to him state he has struggled with insomnia for years. His neighbors have also stated he was up all night, walking around vacuuming and running the garbage disposal at strange hours, it makes sense for him to be awake at that hour and his defense could easily say he just wanted to get out of the house.
And reasonable people can reasonably not believe him.

I'd also like to interject something here re: DM and her "frozen fear phase." I was watching a show the other evening about death row inmates. One of the inmate's sisters talks about their past childhood trauma. She mentions as a child, someone who she could not remember regularly entered her bedroom to molest her. She said she went into a "frozen fear" type of shock - couldn't move and couldn't really remember what happened. That's the first time I've heard someone describe that condition since hearing about it regarding DM's reaction to seeing BCK in her house.

Happens alot.

I remember reading about people on snowmobiles looking up and seeing an avalanche coming towards them and they all sped away except for one person who completely froze.

Sometimes police officers freeze during gunfire and do not fire their gun.

People freeze up in all kinds of scary situations.

And there is the "fight or flight" response.

Im really curious...

So

You know - a good cop/bad cop, interrogation room with cameras, etc?

Or even FBI profiler?

I sure hope not. He's already been arrested and there is no need to interrogate him at this point. There will be plenty of that coming at him in court. I'm not even sure it would be legal for LE to interrogate him.

And reasonable people can reasonably not believe him.

Right.

I find reasons like "I did it because I needed to" or "I did it because I felt like it" to be very weak. A person who has insomnia and uses that as a reason to go 10 miles away to one specific neighborhood, where there is a specific house - where they will eventually break in and leave a knife sheath and kill 4 people - is not giving enough of a reason for being there if it's just, "I couldn't sleep."

Everyone and their brother would call that bull.

Fortunately, if all goes well, we will never hear him give his "reasons," as I doubt he'll take the stand. I do wonder if his attorney would allow it in the penalty phase though (I bet he'll come across as Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs if he does).

Agreed!

I believe the prosecution and defense will go to great lengths to ensure that they choose a fair and impartial jury. They should easily be able to weed out any potential jurors who have been swayed by the social media and media nonsense by asking a few simple questions.

That being said, I don't think it will be too difficult to find people who have never heard of the Idaho 4. I know it will shock some WebSleuthers to learn that not everyone in the U.S. is as focused on this case as we are.
Attorneys in the Pike County massacre case (4 members of one family massacred 8 members of another, ostensibly over child custody) managed to pick a jury in a much smaller, more rural, and less educated area. I think a university town in Idaho will do just as well.

From People:
“In late October, an account that authorities believe belonged to Bryan Kohberger sent a greeting to one of the female victims, the source says. When he didn't get a reply, he sent several more messages to her.
"He slid into one of the girls' DMs several times but she didn't respond," the source tells PEOPLE. "Basically, it was just him saying, 'Hey, how are you?' But he did it again and again."
IMO, a LE officer or some other official person is not going to use phrasing like "He slid into one of the girls' DMs". JMO

Im really curious...

So

You know - a good cop/bad cop, interrogation room with cameras, a big see-through mirror, etc?

Or even FBI profiler?

He has retained a lawyer, who must be present for any further questioning.

So, no. There's no Good Cop/Bad Cop scenario here and probably never was, given that he opted for lawyers very early in both PA and ID.

He has the right to remain silent and I'm sure he knows it. In the end, he's more likely to speak to other inmates than to police about what has happened. If there are jail employees who are not LE, he might strike up a conversation with them, as it appears he loves to talk to people.

Attorneys in the Pike County massacre case (4 members of one family massacred 8 members of another, ostensibly over child custody) managed to pick a jury in a much smaller, more rural, and less educated area. I think a university town in Idaho will do just as well.
Correct. Whenever this case goes to trial (I feel it will be awhile), Moscow will have had so many people leave and new ones moving in that I think they'll have plenty of people to choose a jury from.

Accused Idaho Killer Bryan Kohberger Repeatedly Messaged One of the Victims on Instagram: Source​

Story by Steve Helling
People
1/17/2023

"Two weeks before the slayings of four University of Idaho students last November, the man now accused of killing them sent a series of messages to one of the victims on Instagram, an investigator familiar with the case tells PEOPLE.

In late October, an account that authorities believe belonged to Bryan Kohberger sent a greeting to one of the female victims, the source says. When he didn't get a reply, he sent several more messages to her.

"He slid into one of the girls' DMs several times but she didn't respond," the source tells PEOPLE. "Basically, it was just him saying, 'Hey, how are you?' But he did it again and again.""

Accused Idaho Killer Bryan Kohberger Repeatedly Messaged One of the Victims on Instagram: Source

IMO, a LE officer or some other official person is not going to use phrasing like "He slid into one of the girls' DMs". JMO
Yeah, I caught that, too. LOL! Maybe a younger PI would use those words, tho. Definitely not LE. And, besides, LE is under a gag order so they wouldn't be talking to People Magazine, anyway.

Correct. Whenever this case goes to trial (I feel it will be awhile), Moscow will have had so many people leave and new ones moving in that I think they'll have plenty of people to choose a jury from.

Agreed (so there are at least three of us). Where I live, the only thing the judge cares about in the end is that people swear to put aside all prejudice and to attend only to the facts as presented in court.

Most people can put aside their prejudices, formed before trial, and do the job that justice requires.

It's not even for sure BK's account. "Authorities believe" it was BK's. But the source itself isn't name (I'd bet the ranch it's the Goncalves PI) and we don't know what "authorities" gave this info to a magazine, especially given the gag order. [Edited for typo.]

So when was he interrogated?
Like - he wasn't?

<modsnip> They woke him up at around 3 am, told him to get dressed, put him in handcuffs and took him to be booked. I think he was well aware why LE was there and he's well aware of his rights.

Why would he be interrogated? One of the hard parts about cases like this is that it's possible for a murderer to go all the way to Death Row or life in prison and never give an account of what they did or why they did it. Joe DeAngelo (GSK/EARONS) comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im really curious...

So

Or even FBI profiler?

Its your imagination. That's highly illegal. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics