ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo-
I’m in agreement with you on why would anyone risk their job to be an anonymous source for information that may or may not help in the prosecution of this case… if anything it could damper it by being leaked to the public…

But MOO-
People magazine is a business. They want to sell their magazine and knowing how the entire country is gripped in aww and horror by this case and looking for answers and any information that may give insight into motive…. I have to say I can see how and why they would write an article on it. And how convincing they could be in regards to convincing this IG source to be their inside informant. I wouldn’t be surprised if money crossed hands. Especially new information no other msm has.

I’m not saying I agree with it. Just that I do understand it and how it’s very plausible and possible an IG employee got caught up in feeling important. Maybe Felt like they could be making a difference by releasing this information.

You just never know.
I assume People is working on a cover story for this case, much as it did for Murdaugh. People also has a true-crime series on ID. They do a lot of really good crime reporting. I think we agree on everything about this except the source. (I believe it's not a person at IG.)

Thank you for posting this! I was just thinking about the knife yesterday, wondering if they could determine the type of knife used and match it to the sheath that was left. JMO
IMO, I’m going to add a caveat to that. The sheath says KABAR and so it’s safe to say that the knife that accompanies the sheath is a KABAR. Makes sense. But because that sheath was found in a very strategic location and out in the open makes me a tad suspicious. What killer would leave such an obvious clue? The forensic pathologist or medical examiner can ultimately match up wounds to help identify the knife to verify the weapon, but something tells me there might be another knife……….JMO.

MOO- that would do him no good.

His fathers DNA (From family trash can) is what matched the Knife Sheath to him and got him arrested When compared to the sheath.

If he is trying to swap out his online national database DNA sample with anyone… He should have done a stranger… Not his father who leads straight back to him and defeats the purpose of submitting someone else’s DNA….

I know he is heartless if he can commit that Number of senseless murders in one night… but even if he swapped dads DNA for his.. Dad is married and lives across the country… dads dna sample would still ultimately lead investigators to son, once dads alibi clears.

im also not really sure how he could achieve acquiring a stranger sample /swab with his lack of charm and awkward nature…..which you need a mouth swab to submit the test… challenging to say the least for a non-healthcare provider… to request from strangers….possible yes… likely…no.

MOO- I just don’t understand….why someone who’s considering murdering someone/multiple people…someone who had been stalking people/was making plans in his head to commit a horrific crime, would submit his DNA in a national database for any reason…

He of all people had to have known the danger of this and how it could lead to his arrest if any mistake was made and left behind any forensic evidence.

if he did….that’s a big IF….the only logical thing i can think of is if he provided a fake name and age… fake email, fake place of birth… etc. to run the test…. And did it purely to find out if any of his other relatives matched with him…. To clarify to him and him alone….. whether or not LE could ever connect him to crimes via his DNA unintentionally left behind at a crime scene.

I feel like this is something he’d like to know and forget about the consequences of obtaining such knowledge while having tunnel vision on the planning of the crime he wanted to commit.

Still… no part of my theory explains why LE claims it was a distant relative only that matched with the DNA on the knife sheath. If indeed he did submit his DNA to a large company that LE uses to compare forensic evidence… LE Never mentions his DNA Coming up as a match. Which leads me to believe it was not there.

Which makes me wonder if he researched how to dilute a DNA sample to give only a partial match. (FYI… not sure this is even possible.. but if his goal was to locate relatives who may have submitted their DNA that may connect to him… not him wanting to know his ancestry… and him understanding the percentages of accuracy from different types of samples…and what percentage is needed to be fully genetically identified…It’s possible? Maybe?) At this point If this was his goal… finding partial matches to his diluted sample may have sufficed to him. The test would list partial/distant relative matches and give him the information he needed… potentially without fully connecting him / creating a full accurate genetic profile on him.

Tampering with the submission however…. Could have backfired on him… Maybe, just maybe… he was generated a limited genetic profile… had no hits on the relatives which all know where in there….

Which made him sigh in relief… when it was revealed no genetic matches appeared.

Which was only because he tampered too much with his sample.

again… all MOO - Just throwing out ideas. Trying to understand why a criminal / criminologist get submits his dna to ancestry dna right before he commits multiple murders. DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.
maybe lied to the neighbor to see what he thought of DNA tests....? see what other people think of them? Or he "knew" that he did not leave any DNA... wonder if the knife was new and he only opened it once- forgot about the snap on the sheath.

Was thinking bout that
This link November 2022 | Events | Washington State University says there was a Fall Family weekend at WSU between 11th - 13th Nov. wondered whether BK parents went to visit him that weekend.
Have been looking at possible connections, on Sept (3rd iirc) there was a WSU v University of Idaho football match - wondering if K,M,X or E were around to support a friend etc?

moo
This is useful uhh yeah can't comment probably. Thank you.

maybe lied to the neighbor to see what he thought of DNA tests....? see what other people think of them? Or he "knew" that he did not leave any DNA... wonder if the knife was new and he only opened it once- forgot about the snap on the sheath.
Or"……….perhaps LE has the knife and are keeping it on the DL.JMO

There has been heavy speculation that BK likely met MM at her place of work and became obsessed with her that way. Of course, anything is plausible as we don’t have all the facts. However, early on, cops said they weren’t sure if the target was the house or the people, and I think I’m beginning to understand that statement. It’s possible BK just started driving around the area of the university to scope out potential victims and came across the house. I fully believe he had a murderous plan brewing from before he left PA and started to put that plan in motion as soon as he was left to his own devices (not sure if any family members helped him move there). I stated before that he probably wanted to have distance but still proximity to commit his crimes, and Moscow would have been the area to do just that. Upon driving around, he discovers the house. In one of the very early threads, someone posted that the house looked like a jewel perched on a hill for the world to see. Then, during his many trips to Moscow before the murders he watched the house and it’s occupants and became obsessed. Maybe then started online sleuthing and finding out who the occupants were and maybe even going to their job.

I still think MM was the target after finding the house. He obviously watched the house, and MM’s room was easily identifiable by her cowboy boots and the letter M in the window. Based on my own analysis of the PCA with the times given, I believe he went to the third floor first and then encountered the occupants of the 2nd floor while making an exit resulting in him thinking he needed to kill them too. There was no murder scene in Kaylee’s room. He went directly to MM’s room. So, he either knew they both were in there or was targeting MM. Again, I have previously stated, I don’t suspect he knew KG was there because knowing that, he would know he would have to contend with a dog which would complicate his plan.

I mean.. what are the odds that he runs into MM (or any of the victims) decides to make her his victim, and then she also lives in a super accessible house full of girls? To me, seems more likely, he found the house, then the girl(s), solidifying his heinous plan.

MOO

What is "UT time"?

Even assuming the two stops took place in different zones (EST and CST), that would only account for one hour of the more than five-hour difference between the body cams.

I still think--i.e., JMO--that one of the body cams was inaccurate in terms of clock time.
Universal time is 6 hrs off EST- used by airlines and by some calendar apps- look it up

Now that this is in MSM can we talk about the idea that there may have been a social media connection between BK and any of the victims, or BK and the young woman who committed suicide in February 2022? Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger allegedly spammed one victim with Instagram DMs: report I mentioned that I was curious as to if they were all knowingly or unknowingly connected through social media, and for how long. This can speak to motive.

<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not an expert and have no special knowledge in this area, but yes, my layperson's opinion is that LE would have to get some sort of warrant to access historical insta data of the victims (like private direct messages and so forth). It seems likely to me that LE would have done this already.IMO. What do you think? I'm of the opiion that it's not a LE source being quoted by the People Mag article under discussion here. MOO

17th Jan - anon source ( People) says LE found the direct connection, perp - victims, ( Insta DMs)
8th Jan - anon source (NYP) says LE have not found any direct connection between perp & victims ( link below)

(30th Dec onwards, folk start creating BK accounts on FB, twitter, Insta)

from old post on the MT, 8 Jan, thread 59

Nov 13th - date from which LE would've been able to file subpoenas for Insta ( for the victims' various SM accounts and private messages)
Jan 5th - Scenario - LE already have evidence of a direct connection between BK & victims ( Insta messages) but even though this is of huge probative value, they decide to exclude it from their PCA.

Last edited:
It's not a fact that BK doesn't sleep much IMO. IMO that is an inference drawn from some interviews with neighbours post arrest and the TapaTalk account from 12 years ago that is believed by some/many to have been BK. MOO. IMO, it's hard to get a clear picture, based on neighbiur interviews reported in the press and what is available in the PCA (12 late night drives between June 2022 and 13 November) how much BK slept, when he slept and what if any regular sleeping patterns he had. MOO
and he shows up to class looking tired with a coffee

Bryan Kohberger became 'chattier' after murders, classmate said​

nypost.com › 2023/01/02 › bryan-kohberger-became-chattier-after-murder...

Jan 2, 2023 · “I did notice he was showing up to class a little late sometimes, he always had a coffee in hand, he always seemed to be just perpetually ...

and he used to go running at night:

Bryan Kohberger's ex-friend tells of his terror at news of the arrest​

www.dailymail.co.uk › news › article-11588969 › Bryan-Kohbergers-ex-fr...

Dec 31, 2022 · Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger has been fitted with ANTI-SUICIDE vest inmates call a 'turtle suit', as ex-friend who went for seven mile ...

and he tosses out trash at 4 a.m. :

Bryan Kohberger tried to evade cops by putting trash in neighbors ...​

nypost.com › 2023/01/06 › bryan-kohberger-tried-to-evade-cops-by-putti...

Jan 6, 2023 · Accused University of Idaho student slayer Bryan Kohberger tried to evade police by putting garbage from his parents' house into neighbors' ...

yes, all anecdotal and not from the same time periods but.... wonder if he was still awake when the SWAT team entered.

SG certainly said he was going to, multiple times & he also said he'd previously had PI's contact him unbidden in the early weeks of the investigation.

Would those PIs ( either casual or contracted) have the legal powers - realistically - to subpoena Instagram for the contacts in a victim's private messages, or do you think the PI just got a LEO to show screen grabs from investigators files?
Insta has a link for LE officials as far as subpoenas. My gut on this says a PI couldn't get this info. I'd actually find it terrifying if a PI could get this info! Imagine your stalker, your angry ex, etc. being able to hire a PI to find out from your DMs where you are, who you're seeing, where you work?

I would think no, since King Rd is in Idaho. He would need WA state residency to qualify for in-state tuition. If I am reading it correctly, per page 32 of the WSU Dept of Criminal Justice Graduate Studies handbook, he would also need WA residency to receive a TA stipend.

The two states used to have reciprocal tuition and residency requirements. Not sure if they still do, but in his graduate program may have a number of tuition waivers available for use in attracting students to the program.

I wondered if he belonged to a gym or used a uni gym... no mention of him at a gym except him not going to a gym with the neighbor

Bryan Kohberger's Neighbor Avoided His Attempts at Lengthy Chats​

www.insider.com › News › Crime

Jan 10, 2023 · Idaho murder suspect Bryan Kohberger has been called a loner, ... so I asked if he wanted to come to my gym with me," he said. Kohberger had ...

IMO, I’m going to add a caveat to that. The sheath says KABAR and so it’s safe to say that the knife that accompanies the sheath is a KABAR. Makes sense. But because that sheath was found in a very strategic location and out in the open makes me a tad suspicious. What killer would leave such an obvious clue? The forensic pathologist or medical examiner can ultimately match up wounds to help identify the knife to verify the weapon, but something tells me there might be another knife……….JMO.
Especially considering this statement early on (Nov 20) JMO

Victims died in the early hours of the morning, according to Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt. If they were not stabbed with the same knife, it was a very similar one, she said.

Insta has a link for LE officials as far as subpoenas. My gut on this says a PI couldn't get this info. I'd actually find it terrifying if a PI could get this info! Imagine your stalker, your angry ex, etc. being able to hire a PI to find out from your DMs where you are, who you're seeing, where you work?

Yes, goes against everything we already know about SM giants & how they deal with requests for private info.

If otoh, People magazine are correct it has to mean that LE conducted a poor investigation into the victims' SM accounts and any potential SM stalkers* . Personally, I just don't believe - or others might say I just don't want to believe - that some of the best FBI investigators are that sloppy

* persistent guy sliding into a victims' DMs prior to murders ( People)

(only other route would be via hacking the Insta accounts' private messages)

Last edited:
In the interests of clarity, the PCA does not state that the only DNA found on the sheath was that small amount on the snap of the Sheath. It states that a single source male DNA was found on the snap button of the sheath.

Additional DNA from other sources may be on other parts of the sheath and we don't know atm if the sheath has been tested further or that perhaps any victim dna found on sheath was excluded from the PCA. MOO.
Yes, you are correct. I should clarify. There was no DNA of Bryan's on the sheath except for the snap. As a warrant, you would expect to find more DNA of BK if it was his knife sheath. For this reason, some people speculate that the sheath was wiped clean by BK and left on purpose.

I mean.. what are the odds that he runs into MM (or any of the victims) decides to make her his victim, and then she also lives in a super accessible house full of girls?
IMHO, pretty high. Most students live in some sort of shared housing, usually with same gender schoolmates and are lax about security. Very often they also party etc. It is quite hard to meet college students who don't meet these criteria, like maybe the geeks alone at home (no harm meant, that is me, too).

Edit: also, there's bias. Had he wanted to kill one of them, but had the victim been very hard to get, he likely would have either not implemented that plan or would have failed before the murder. Like, it works the other way round. We would not be talking about a murder case then.

It seems he was watching the police station from that vantage point (Indian hills dr). Maybe he knew how many police cars moscow has and he wanted to have distance between them and king rd.

Jmo
IDK, there's no evidence either way that he was watching the police station from Indian Hills drive. All we have is that the suspect car (with BK in it, per probable cause affdavit) was recorded by camera passing the 700 Block at c3.26am. Two minutes later the same car was recorded heading west on Styner. He was making his passes on Queen by c3.29am. He may have parked somewhere round Indian Hills (east of 700 Block) prior to 3.26am or he may not have. We don't know so I don't agree that it seems like he was watching the cop shop.MOO

ETA: edited incorrect time

IMO, is it possible that BK wanted to live at 1122 King Rd and that’s why he was contacting the roommates?
IMO, he would not attempt to live in Idaho while attending school in WA because he would want to establish residency in WA. however I wouldn't necessarily rule out him attempting to contact the roommates/surveil the house under the pretense of wanting to live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95