ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember a post here about BK's 1st attorney in PA after the arrest - and that he (allegedly) had to silence BK several times when he was eager to tell him "his version".

I wonder what it was all about.
And what is this version of BK.
Can you remember the source that poster was using? Just curious!

Are you saying there's paid work for pre-first year students in that lab? Could be. I am very doubtful. He apparently didn't stand out at the local LE department (fact) and was denied an internship (presumably unpaid).

Auditing is...occasional (I've only had one in 40 years of teaching, it's a lengthy process for both student and professor to get permission, liability, etc).

He went to WSU because he was free to do so. He was a newly minted graduated student, now admitted to a doctoral program. His parents were proud. He had a new phone and a car. He went to Washington because it is beautiful and different than the Poconos (also beautiful). He was hoping his new life would start ASAP. Grad student housing became available.

The two universities are practically in the same community (there are several colleges within 10 miles of where I sit - I've visited them all frequently).

He went to his new experience and explored. At what point did ideas of stalking and murder enter his head (if they did)? I don't know. I'll go out on a limb and say that when there's digital evidence of stalking, that's when he started.

Maybe he went and hiked all summer. We don't know. Maybe he got a dog and learned it wasn't allowed and rehomed it. I'm not assuming he had an academic reason for how he spent his summer time. If we're going to guess, then I have other guesses, based on knowing grad students. Settling in, knowing the university (including its surroundings) is important, as it's the only time one will have to do that (or so most grad students think). Find that one place to eat that comforts you; figure out how much you can put in your apartment fridge; stock up on necessities. Cruise by your new department and hope someone will make eye contact.
It also appears he was job hunting after moving to Pullman. One place he applied was the Pullman PD, in September 2022, a couple of months before the murders.

Has it been determined that the cell towers in Moscow are such that phones can be tracked to specific houses?
Actually just the opposite...there are very few towers in Moscow to triangulate and pinpoint an exact location. I have read that "in the area" as stated by LE is actually very very board, based on the lack of towers in the area.

The defense will most certainly use this to their advantage.

Can you remember the source that poster was using? Just curious!
Not sure if I am doing this correct, but it was this post.

edit: post doesn't have a source, still looking

Do you think family login credentials would give family access to the deceased's direct messages going back to October? Or the ability to request historical data from insta? I don't know off hand so that's why I'm asking :)
If they could log in to her account, they could look at her messages. IMO it would be the same as if she were logging in herself.

Edit - Oh wait I misread that. I meant Instagram log in credentials, not family cell phone or Icloud account credentials. I don't know if anyone would have had her Instagram log in, but if they did it would allow them to see private messages. MOO

It is important.
I think, it could be important down the line if DM is called to give evidence. Or maybe not, as might depend on which parts of her police statement are included in evidence and to what purpose IMO. I think this may have been discussed elsewhere here at some point or other. There were various opinions on whether prosecution would use DM's evidence to help establish timeline (probably not?) or to bolster case with general descripter of perp that matched the defendent - height, build eyebrows (possibly?). "Someone's here", apart from time line, doesn't to me mean much as we know indeed that someone was there, so not sure how much import it would have going forward? MOO, just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Really?
Wow!
I thought interrogation, presenting alibi, etc. is an integral part of investigation.
With a lawyer present.

Phew!
I believe they usually interrogate when they have enough to think it was him but still need more, or at least that 1 piece of evidence to actually confirm its him. IMO, they didn't interrogate him because they are 110% positive its him, so (they feel) there's no need.

All JMO

I that thought about that "someone is here" statement. The PCA didn't state how D heard that statement, meaning how was it emphasized.

"Someone's HERE!" (spoken at a normal volume or loudly)
or
"SOMEONE'S here..." (spoken softly or even a whisper)

IMO the first one could be meant with excitement or without fear but the second one would is more questioning or worried. I think that makes a big difference in the expectation of whomever actually said it.
Exactly - not knowing the tone really makes a difference. I have a feeling that however DM relayed the info to the police made them think the statement was alarmed and in reference to an intruder since they included it in the PCA. But that is just my speculation.

Not sure if I am doing this correct, but it was this post.

edit: post doesn't have a source, still looking
Thanks very much. Had a look and the poster didn't source the comment, but will have a browse through media thread or use friend google later to try and locate something. It would be interesting to me if BK did want to immediately tell his version but was silenced by lawyer, as up until now I didn't get that impression at all. I don't remember any thing like that being reliably reported thoughMOO. But now on a mission to make sure!

If they could log in to her account, they could look at her messages. IMO it would be the same as if she were logging in herself.

Edit - Oh wait I misread that. I meant Instagram log in credentials, not family cell phone or Icloud account credentials. I don't know if anyone would have had her Instagram log in, but if they did it would allow them to see private messages. MOO
If you never sign out of IG on your phone/laptop, anyone with your phone/laptop would be able to read your DMs; they wouldn't need to log in. You are correct.

A big mismatch in upper body strength would be another factor. Ethan might have been a match for him in that regard, given a fair fight, but not if Ethan was asleep, just getting up to check on the commotion, or somewhat impaired by alcohol (none of which we know one way or the other).

There is no proof that he did or didn't try but it takes time to wake up, interpret the situation, assemble a plan and react.

The think that is hard for people to understand the reality of this knife. I own one and it's over a foot long and incredibly lethal and while mine has never been used for fighting or self defence, I can't imagine anyone winning many battles with someone armed and fully prepared to use it.

Summer classes would usually just be for undergraduate students and perhaps a few for master's degree students, but not usually at the doctoral level - especially if he hasn't started his program yet.

I think BK just arrived in Pullman in late June or July to get settled in to his apartment, get his ID card, get his university email set up, parking pass, buy supplies, check out the library, the university bookstore, buy the books assigned to his fall seminars, and overall just find his way around campus and the community. If his new TA departmental office had already been assigned, he could stop by the department and have the staff give him a key and help him get settled in there, also.

Very normal to arrive early for an incoming graduate student, especially if they have moved across the country to start a doctoral program. There would be a lot to do before the start of the semester.
Another point that isn't earth shattering but very simple. He may have had to move into the university housing by a certain date in order to secure the apartment for the term he wanted to lease it. Perhaps the university had a "move in by date." That would explain why he was there a couple of months before class. IMO

I was starting a new job in another state and found a very nice apartment online, close to my new job, restaurants, and shopping. The only downfall was the availability of the unit was one month earlier than my scheduled move, so I had to find something else.

Again,I was thinking about DM and the fear that she must have felt which in turn made her “freeze”. I was in a car accident many years ago and was put into the ambulance with the other person who died en route. one Night shortly after the accident I went to get out of bed and saw a figure at the foot of my bed ( looked again and no one was there). Physically I knew no one was in my room. Mentally, I froze- couldn’t even call out to anyone. I stayed in one position for hours until the sun came up which by then I was mentally and physically exhausted I never did get up but I did fall asleep. I cannot even imagine the state DM must have been in after her encounter with BK.

I assume People is working on a cover story for this case, much as it did for Murdaugh. People also has a true-crime series on ID. They do a lot of really good crime reporting. I think we agree on everything about this except the source. (I believe it's not a person at IG.)

This case is the cover story for the January 16 issue, on newsstands now.

Exactly - not knowing the tone really makes a difference. I have a feeling that however DM relayed the info to the police made them think the statement was alarmed and in reference to an intruder since they included it in the PCA. But that is just my speculation.
IMO that's probably it and in PCA is used to suggest timeline of crimes. Does tone matter or not? Not sure of significance if DM is ever called to testify and if that would come into evidence for time line or some other purpose.MOO thinking aloud.

Thanks very much. Had a look and the poster didn't source the comment, but will have a browse through media thread or use friend google later to try and locate something. It would be interesting to me if BK did want to immediately tell his version but was silenced by lawyer, as up until now I didn't get that impression at all. I don't remember any thing like that being reliably reported thoughMOO. But now on a mission to make sure!
This Post: by gliving

Interview with CUOMO : 4:21 mark...attorney had to cut him off multiple times when he wanted to tell him about the case. JMO

Id prefer for PIs not to be able to access that info, but if a deceased victim's family request the info, are they entitled to it (or entititled to authorise the PI to it on their behalf?) Sorry if this has already been discussed. After the crime perhaps the family do not have these rights because of it's potential to interfere with the investigation and that also makes complete sense to me.MOO
I wouldn't mind a PI looking at the DM's, my problem would be that info then getting leaked to the public, IMO. But in thinking about it, aren't the PI and LE pretty much doing the same thing right now? Wouldn't the PI have to turn info over to the LE anyway, since a case is already legally started and PI's don't technically bring charges? Maybe it's just to cover every angle, just in case? IMO?

This case is the cover story for the January 16 issue, on newsstands now.
I have a paper subscription, have already read it, and I was not impressed. IMO it is not worth purchasing. It doesn't really have anything we don't already know, and I believe it even had some information that was inaccurate or has since been updated (though I can't remember exactly what now).

Have we figured out who BK was messaging yet? I haven't been able to keep up with the threads, Also, I remember there was rumors going around about the fraternity boys being guilty of the murders. I wondered to myself that maybe BK was the one who started the rumors? According to the rumors, I think MM was the target. Was't there a podcast or show that BK called into and speculated that the fraternity boys committed the murders? I may be completely wrong as it was a recollection from my memory of what had occurred.. all MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95