ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think his defense attorney will advise him to plead out, rather than trying to mount a convoluted defense strategy?
Probably any competent attorney would look to see if the prosecutor would take life or life without parole in lieu of the death penalty case--but that would depend on how strong the prosecutions case is, which the defense will learn in the discovery process.

Exactly how was he able to savagely attack, with a knife, FOUR people, in twenty five minutes, & only leave DNA (who knows what type of DNA) on a knife sheath? But then he’s the dummy that throws evidence in his neighbor’s garbage bin? Okayyyy

This case is a good example of why eyewitnesses are not the best evidence for either side. The testimony of the roommate witness will show BK fits her description But she is going to be brutally cross-examined.
I'm still not convinced she would ever even be called at trial. Her description for the PCA was sufficient to show that someone similar looking to BK was in the apartment at the time. Now that BK is under arrest, they can (hopefully) collect more evidence to more conclusively show who it was in the apartment, and they will not need to call someone to testify that they saw someone they didn't know who could have been him. MOO

I believe so. LE has to be upfront about what they take in search warrants.
What the warrants says they can look for is different from what they find. If they are looking for evidence of blood, they may find it in a drain or on a t-shirt. So they would take the content or swabs of the drain or take the t-shirt. The warrant doesn't have to say "drain" or "t-shirt."

I'm still not convinced she would ever even be called at trial. Her description for the PCA was sufficient to show that someone similar looking to BK was in the apartment at the time. Now that BK is under arrest, they can (hopefully) collect more evidence to more conclusively show who it was in the apartment, and they will not need to call someone to testify that they saw someone they didn't know who could have been him. MOO
If I'm the defense attorney, she's first on my list.

I think only four of the six were targeted. I also think the motive is extremely important in this case and will lead to the killer/s. Unfortunately, I fear that the only people who know the motive are no longer with us, and the killer/s. In addition to the evidence obtained through the search warrants, I particularly want to know what happened between 1:45 and 4 am, and more detail about XK's and EC's night out. JMO
And if I am wrong, I won't eat my shoe!
I think the girls offended him in some way that humiliated him. Maybe Ethan stood up to him and kept him away from harassing the girls. I can see him becoming a target in that way. When I read police removed stained mattress covers from bk's Pullman apt, my first thought was by the time he got home after the murders, he was exhausted, felt safe, and may have still had some blood on him when he went to bed.

I'm trying to remember from the affidavit if they said the dog was heard barking at 4:17am. One thought I had was, if there was a murder happening on the 3rd floor before then, why would the dog start barking at 4:17? It seems the dog would start barking when it either encountered BK or he heard or saw the attack. I don't think the dog would wait until after all the chaos was over on the 3rd floor and THEN start barking.

If a dog is really timid they will often wait until the coast is clear to start reporting on an event.

I feel like we need to hear the barking to see if we think it is from a startled dog- the thud- or a back barker.

All imo

It was discussed in the last few threads that her account is essentially hearsay if she does not testify (I just learned this myself) so prosecution will want her to speak. Certainly the defense would call her to try to poke holes in her story :(

What the warrants says they can look for is different from what they find. If they are looking for evidence of blood, they may find it in a drain or on a t-shirt. So they would take the content or swabs of the drain or take the t-shirt. The warrant doesn't have to say "drain" or "t-shirt."
You explain these matters clearly; what's your opinion on swabs say in drains and plugs at the BK residence. There's nothing like that on the Return Service Doc. In your opinion does that indicate that swabs were not taken or would something like that not necessarily be included in Service Return Doc? I noticed that hairs were there so kinda assume swabs would be too. Perhaps it was deemed too late (six weeks after crime) to take swabs? Or perhaps they were done and tested on the spot and nothing was found?

I do think it could come up at the preliminary hearing in June if they decide to contest the validity of the arrest (if I'm understanding what a preliminary hearing is correctly). But I don't think it would necessarily help if it goes to trial. As an example, let's say they end up finding BKs DNA in other surfaces of the apartment. It wouldn't really matter if DM got a good look at the intruder or not, DNA evidence puts him there. So they wouldn't have a reason to even call her to testify. The defense could, but in this example I am putting out, poking holes in weak eyewitness testimony isn't going to overcome DNA evidence. IMO

I doubt the surviving roommate will be "brutally" cross examined. She apparently did not see the perp's face and therefore cannot identify him. Her only evidentiary value relates to the timeline. She apparently heard voices and brief conversation she could not identify. A defense lawyer would likely just emphasize the uncertainty in her testimony and leave it at that. She may be asked to define "bushy eyebrows". She may be asked if the person she saw had a knife. Bullying a pretty young traumatized woman will not play well in the eyes of the jury.

I doubt a plea deal would be likely for either side. If I were 28, I would probably take my chances with a trial, even if only a slight chance of success. BK may be a "big man" when he is heavily armed, but will not be that way in prison. Unless he has some opportunity for release, I seriously doubt he would take any plea deal.

No, but what if the wounds don't match a kabar? Or if they have a piece of the knife and it doesn't match a kabar? As I understand it, the Kabar sheath is only made for a kabar knife? JMO

Earlier on this forum, OP posted a photo of the Kabar sheath he purchased for his knife, which is not a Kabar, so the Kabar sheath can be purchased separately.

I think the girls offended him in some way that humiliated him. Maybe Ethan stood up to him and kept him away from harassing the girls. I can see him becoming a target in that way. When I read police removed stained mattress covers from bk's Pullman apt, my first thought was by the time he got home after the murders, he was exhausted, felt safe, and may have still had some blood on him when he went to bed.
Let’s hope it’s blood, yes.

I own my bin/trash can, I know that LE can take your trash, my point was a Neighbor putting their trash in my can is wrong and i would confront them about, Just so they know I saw them. That’s just me,
I was surprised at the amount of people who said they do this all the time. I’ve never put my trash in a neighbor’s bin, and it initially struck me as suspicious that he did so.

I pray to God the human hair that was found was from the victims. Blood is very sticky. it's logical that during his "work" strands of hair would have clung to the blood. In the dark, he would not have noticed. Animal hair? If he wanted to work in silence, I think his first act/s would have had to have been to the throats of his victims. to disable airways, speech etc. I can see him grabbing each by their hair for leverage as he committed the murder. I think the prosecution's best hope will come from that apt.

Going back to the background noise picked up by the neighbors camera in which a loud bang and dog barking were noted… if related, what do we suspect the loud bang was? The perp making his escape (or entry)? Or someone/thing being thrown about inside the house? And if the bang was loud enough to be captured by the neighbors camera feed then wouldn’t the roommates at the very least have heard something like that? I’d also be curious to know if the camera had a motion sensor that triggered the recording or if it’s just continuously monitoring.

Just thinking out loud / JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member