ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen her say that, but it makes me seriously question her competence and the rigor of the program if she thinks it's acceptable for him to be conducting research that late in the thesis process. MOO
If thesis was never completed how would a person obtain the degree and move on to the next level?

If thesis was never completed how would a person obtain the degree and move on to the next level?
My understanding is that his thesis was completed, but it did not include the survey. Theses are often theoretical research papers that don't necessarily include new qualitative or quantitative analysis, but a critical review of research on a specific topic/issue/related to the discipline, in this case - criminology. Not unusual.

IANAL so can't answer your questions. ;)

I think Ms Taylor and her team are doing a good job so far. She hired a state crime scene reconstruction expert, stopped the cleanup at the crime site and the discovery document seemed thorough. She's the chief public defender in Kootenai County. I have confidence in Latah County Court's decision to have her on the case. I thought I read both parties had the option to object?

giving, I'm sorry if I left you with the impression that I am critical of Ms Taylor's performance. I'm not; I think she and her team are doing a good job, too.
My concern is that if BK is convicted he will attempt to say that she was biased towards the victim's/victims' parent/s and did not, therefore, properly represent him.
I found the site that referenced your recollection about both parties having the option to object - "This prompts conflict of interest questions for legal experts, and may require each client to offer consent."

The victims were all in contact with the dog at one point or another. BK never had to touch the dog to have transfer of the hairs to his person. IMO
Yes I know, was responding to OP saying they made a "poor speculation"

The one on the left side with the ledge. JMO

edit: PCA says east side of first floor.

edit: corrected placement to left side with the ledge, thanks jepop.
No worries, I actually couldn't remember where BF was sleeping! And for the longest time I pictured X and E's room on the east side aswell (which caused numerous tear hair out cogitations re neighbour audio cam 50ft from X's room "west wall"). Wasn't until I finally studied a three tiered floor plan that I got it (relatively) straight.

Right, on the night of the murder. But prior to the murder, I believe it was just that passage I quoted above about it pinging off the cell tower that provides coverage in the area of 1122 King Road. MOO.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying he's not guilty. I'm saying that I don't know if he's guilty or not, but right now, I think the only thing we know for sure is that his DNA was found on the sheath. For me, personally, nothing else I've seen or read definitively points to him. I think there are a lot of things up in the air because LE has been vague (which I understand), so I'm just going to wait it out until more facts are revealed. I don't think we can jump to conclon of the cusions about any of the other stuff we know thus far. JMO.
Here's how I see it. Let's imagine that BK didn't stalk the women or cruise around the house over a period of months or go to the MG. On the night of the murder, a white car of the same make and model as his was driving around the neighborhood immediately before and after the time of the murder. The car does not have a front plate. At the time of the murder, BK's car is registered in PA and has no front plate. Days later, BK changes the registration of the car. His DNA is found on the knife sheath at the crime scene. The victims are murdered by a knife that made wounds consistent with a Ka-Bar, which is the type of knife that fits the sheath. A witness describes seeing a man with bushy eyebrows in the house at the time of the murders. The same white car is seen driving away from the area at a high rate of speed immediately after the time of the killings. The PCA lays out a pattern of movement that synchs the car with BK's cell phone. BK cruises past the crime scene the next morning before the crime has even been reported. That's just what we know. That tells a pretty coherent story in my view. What I haven't seen is a scintilla of evidence that would make me doubt what the PCA lays out.

You'd be a much better juror than I would. I'm already convinced.

The Perp was a PhD candidate. He better be able to justify his position on grades and point out errors to students who are there to learn, not teach. Where is it said that he was humiliated? Maybe he defended his position very well and thinks the students are idiots (which is possible).
This sort of behavior is unheard of and unprofessional. It just is. BK was NOT yet a Ph.D. candidate. He was a first year, first semester student. Candidacy comes much later. I have been a university TA, TF, Research fellow and full professor and never in 30+ years have ever seen anyone brought up to be questioned by a group of undergraduates. There are rules about how to treat all students, including graduate students.

This actually is important evidence the prosecution can use at trial, it is called CIRCUMSTANTIAL evidence.

The majority of the time a defendant is convicted on more than just one piece of evidence, they are convicted on the TOTALITY of the evidence presented.

Sure, a defendant can be convicted on just one piece of DIRECT evidence such as an eye witness who saw the defendant commit the murders, etc...But even in cases such as these there is often circumstantial evidence that goes along with it.

BK was indicted for killing 4 innocent college students who were suppose to be totally safe sleeping in their beds at four o'clock in the morning on 1122 King Road.

BK was living 10 miles away yet in the months leading up to the murders his phone was pinging on at least 12 different occasions on the same cell tower that the victim's used at their home on 1122 King Road. This is circumstantial evidence.

BK's phone pinged eleven times in the late evening and early morning hours as opposed to daytime hours when it would have been easier to spot him, again, this is also circumstantial evidence.

And yes, the defense will say that even though BK's phone pinged on the 1122 King Road cell tower, it still doesn't prove he was actually on King Rd, he could have been in the area doing other things as you say.

But.....the prosecution has this........

A white Hyundai Elantra was seen near the victims' home around the time of the killings. This is the exact type and color of car BK drives.

The car is another piece of circumstantial evidence to add to the cell tower circumstantial evidence to add to the circumstantial evidence of BK messaging a victim multiple times, to add to the circumstantial evidence of wearing medical gloves multiple times, to add to the circumstantial evidence of fitting a witnesses' description of a man in the house that night......

BK washing the car over and over, when it was dark BK put trash in the neighbor's trash bin, BK's crime questions on reddit, BK in college studying a serial killer who also killed 4 people at once, BK's online postings about mental health, possibly his history of negative interactions with women, and so forth......

And what might be considered direct evidence - BK's DNA on a knife sheath left next to a victim.

TOTALITY of evidence.
We keep saying this.

I have security cameras, and they're triggered by motion, not sound, so if the neighbor's camera is anything like mine, some sort of movement within its detection range triggered it to start recording, and while it was recording it picked up the barking.

As you say, there's the possibility the dog was barking non-stop for minutes, but until motion triggered the camera, it didn't start recording, so we don't know. JMOO, that tells me something or someone (BK?) was outside at that time and tripped the camera's motion detector.

In addition to the barking, they almost certainly have some video that shows someone or something. MOO
Yes, many unknowns, we are speculating off so little atm. If it is a motion trigger camera and recorded movement outside at 4.17am then it could be a cat, a person, a car....Maybe. The perp? Depends on which way he went after leaving via slider (assuming per PCA). For it to be the perp (if motion was detected), he would have had to be walking/running northwest direction after exit, and that exit would have had to have been prior to 4.17am. Too much speculation for me so that's where I let that go! MOO

We keep saying this.

Good.

Then posters agree with me that you can always find a way to discount one piece of evidence but it's a whole lot harder to discount the mountain of evidence when all those pieces are put together.

Consider it a puzzle, eventually you get the picture.

(George Wagner, Case in point)

Yes, they did. But Murphy was locked up for a number of hours and possibly licked himself clean if his reachable fur was contaminated, as in he walked through blood.
IMO, LE cleared Murphy of being at the crime scene or having any contact with it.

See Moscow Police Dept. FAQ What happenned to the Dog. Link is posted om a number of posts in this thread.

MOO

I have been trying to find a link to something I had heard early on that the King/Queen confusion or mixup started after the addition was added to the house and changed the location of the ‘front’ Or entry door. I think even in one of the noise complaints on MPD body cam footage both names were used if I remember correctly
Official address: 1122 King.
Access by Car: Via Queen. Enter either from the north or south on King onto Queen, then travel east on Queen to 1122 King Road (official address). Opposite obviously for exit.

MOO

To be where? We don't know where he was. All we know is that his phone pinged a cell tower that provides coverage to the home. Nowhere does it say he was at the house.

I know you say it's the totality of the situation, but the totality needs to be picked apart because, IMO, it's pieced together by a bunch of things that are being somewhat exaggerated without facts. Again MOO.

I respectfully disagree. Until we know more about the neighborhood and where his car was, I just don't think his travel prior to that night is evidence of him watching the house. He lived 8 miles away. How do we know why he was in that area 12 times based on the information we have available? MOO.
BBM

I understand the point you make here. IMO, MOO, the PCA certainly shows probable cause as a whole. I think as a whole it is sound for BK's arrest. MOO

But re the 12 Pings I get your point. In the PCA they are used as more of a suggestion/implication that more is to come, IMO. In no way do I see the arrest dependent on those 12 pings. The PCA would stand strongly without the pings IMO. Until more evidence comes all we know is that his phone (and presumably he himself - which I have no issue with, just being a bit techie) pinged of a tower that the Kings Rd residence also used. I've posted on this before as well. The 12 Pings cannot, at this stage and IMO, be said to be evidence he watched the house. IMO when/if (and I believe there will be a when) more digi evidence is analysed from his phone and other sources, there will be evidence to support and fill out the 12 Ping info that is currently in the public realm.

MOO

I have been trying to find a link to something I had heard early on that the King/Queen confusion or mixup started after the addition was added to the house and changed the location of the ‘front’ Or entry door. I think even in one of the noise complaints on MPD body cam footage both names were used if I remember correctly
In the video taken during the day when Kaylee comes out to the porch, when the two police officers are walking from the end of King Street cul-de-sac (frat guys noise complaint) to the house, one officer calls it in as 1122 Queen.

I just finished watching an old episode of Forensic Files that I had not seen before - it gave me chills with all the similarities, and I was wondering if maybe it was a case that BK studied earlier in his criminology courses, and modeled some of his “planning” on? It’s the Eric Copple case from Napa where 2 roommates were stabbed to death on an upper floor, and a third roommate downstairs was spared, also her dog! So creepily similar… MOO

Strikingly similar IMO - I have now purchased the ‘Nightmare in Napa’ book to read.

Here's how I see it. Let's imagine that BK didn't stalk the women or cruise around the house over a period of months or go to the MG. On the night of the murder, a white car of the same make and model as his was driving around the neighborhood immediately before and after the time of the murder. The car does not have a front plate. At the time of the murder, BK's car is registered in PA and has no front plate. Days later, BK changes the registration of the car. His DNA is found on the knife sheath at the crime scene. The victims are murdered by a knife that made wounds consistent with a Ka-Bar, which is the type of knife that fits the sheath. A witness describes seeing a man with bushy eyebrows in the house at the time of the murders. The same white car is seen driving away from the area at a high rate of speed immediately after the time of the killings. The PCA lays out a pattern of movement that synchs the car with BK's cell phone. BK cruises past the crime scene the next morning before the crime has even been reported. That's just what we know. That tells a pretty coherent story in my view. What I haven't seen is a scintilla of evidence that would make me doubt what the PCA lays out.

You'd be a much better juror than I would. I'm already convinced.
IOWs the PCA stands without the 12 Pings, they simply add weight and implicate what is to come. I believe the PCA would stand regardless of Pings. I also feel that the PCA would stand without the dna on button sheath. To my mind the PCA strongly suggests BK was present on Queen St on the night and that he travelled there on the night. MOO

And in the docuements released re the search warrant there is something in there about LE requesting that the judge exclude the dna from being necessary for probable cause, without saying it is exculpatory. IOWS, the PCA would also stand without that, in the event that in future defense tries to put PCA into question if that particular dna evi is (for what ever reason) excluded. The judge agreed with LE request, and agreed that this in no way meant that the sheath dna was exculpatory. I think you may be a lawyer or have knowledge? I'm linking the whole 28 page plus doc where what I've just said is stated.

In general to me the MG stuff (did he didn't he eat there? did the ex employee lie or no? is that story totally bogus, yea or nay?) is kinda a moot point for now, as the evidence (if any ) surrounding his attendance there has not been released by LE, and won't be until down the road, IMO. The only thing I feel certain of is that in the days following the crime LE would have collected any relevant video/surveilance from there and taken detailed statements from the victims' co-workers. MOO. It wouldn't surprise me if LE is still investigating and if so, I'd only hope that they can carry out their job in peace, without having to deal with potential (or not) witnesses being hounded by press. JMO.

Last edited:
Was it ever stated how many undergrads were in this class? Just curious. MOO
150 per this source:
"He brought in Bryan, and he was like, 'alright, go at him,'" Stinchfield said. "And he had Bryan stand up. And a few people were on his side because they wanted to keep their high grades... but for the most part, it was like half of a 150-person class just asking these real critical questions."

BBM

<modsnip>

I think that this article is fine because it doesn’t name the parent or the charges and is an approved source. And it says she represented two parents!!! Not sure if they’re the parents of the same victim or two different victims but this is just wild to me:

Good grief. Good job blowing up the case before even the PH is held, public defender's office.

No wonder they didn't even interact during his last court appearance. They need to get him a new attorney ASAP.

I am puzzled that any parent of the victims would have had her as appointed counsel. I thought those offenses occurred in other jurisdictions in Idaho.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member