ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of State Atty. Pro Hac Vice? Rep. Crim Def't? Death Penalty Case?
I know that attorneys can come in from other areas and ask to be certified to practice in a particular state,...
snipped for focus @maskedwoman
Yes, some states allow an out of state atty, to apply to appear in court w local co-counsel, but limited to a SPECIFIC CASE. We've seen this in the news w Big Name Atty's/Talking Head Atty's like Mark Geragos. Maybe this is what you're thinking of?

And yes, Rule 27 of Idaho Bar Commission Rules permit this, on application, well, under certain circumstances & w restrictions, apparently only on a CASE-SPECIFIC basis.
(plain language, not official ID website: Idaho Pro Hac Vice - BarReciprocity.com)

^That^ said, IDK if ID st ct judge would allow out of state atty to rep. a crim def’t in a death penalty case. Welcoming opinions, esp’ly from our legal professionals.
@Cassady @PrairieWind Others?
Maybe if atty applying for pro hac vice admission in the case was qualified for death penalty cases in his/her state of licensure? If the standards for qualification were equivalent?

This website (Idaho Pro Hac Vice Lawyers and Rules) discusses ID fed dist. ct & fed bankruptcy cts re pro hac vice, which would not apply to this crim case in ID state ct.

Also to add to post by @Shamrock1 w informative link to LIII, here's a bit of general info: Pro hac vice - Wikipedia.

Factoid from ^ wiki:
"Although neither William Jennings Bryan nor Clarence Darrow was licensed to practice law in Tennessee, both were permitted to appear in the Scopes Trial."

Last edited:
Part 2 of the interview tomorrow night. Geragos is on now.

After someone on here posted about Gavin De Becker's book, "The Gift of Fear", I went and read some excerpts and found this one especially interesting.

"A man's core fear is that a woman will HUMILIATE him."

"A woman's core fear is that a man will KILL her."

I can't help but wonder if both of these happened in this case.

More recent speculation is that Maddie was BCK's intended target. In the food truck video, Maddie points to a guy and said that he is a weirdo because he had made some comment to her. We know that guy was not the person accused in this case. But, I wonder if at some point in time, BCK and Maddie encountered each other and she may have brushed him off with a similar comment and he felt humiliated.

What I found most interesting about the CPA is that the timeline concerning BK's activity begins at 3:26am.

I want to know what BK did on Saturday during the daylight and early evening hours. We know he applied for a position within the PD but we don't know if he was accepted. Is this a possible reason why we know nothing about his whereabouts until 3:26am?

[snipped for focus]
I think it's pretty simple as to why we don't know his whereabouts for 12th November.. Your reference to 3.26am on 13th November is from the PCA (attached)The Probable Cause Affadavit. (Just as an aside, the PCA begins explaining BK's movements on November 13th at 2.44am in Pullman, using both phone ping and video/camera surveilenance data gathered and analysed during the course of investigation (please see PCA for all refs)

IF LE had analysed and reconstructed a picture of BK's movements (at the time of writing the PCA) for the 12th Nov (day prior) then that reconstruction (if it was done at that time) was likely deemed unnecessary for inclusion in the PCA and the establishment of probable cause. For eg. maybe any reconstruction just indicated he stayed at home or hung local. MOO

I think evidence of BK day prior movements, if relevent, would be revealed in upcoming Prelim or trial. MOO

Xana’s Mom stated about the POA. I’m not taking her words to be exact as far as legal terms, so I reserve judgement. One thing she did mention that gave me pause-Xana’s sister is at WSU. As their Mom stated, LE had their suspect early on. Did they know he was a stranger to the victims, could Xana’s sister have been in danger? Was her safety considered?

Watching Banfield too.
An attorney brings up a ‘Writ 2255‘ where BK could later appeal and argue that since the lawyer once represented the victim’s mother that the lawyer was conflicted, and provided ineffective counsel.

It’s an awful message to the victims if this isn’t corrected and reassigned. A real slap in the face going in with a high chance of an appeal. Why even take the chance and have the families endure another trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025