ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 69

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who thinks that AT may not have been aware of the COI, the charges came days after the murders. There is no way that CK and AT could have had a conversation then without the murders coming up, imo. So she would have listened to CK tell her heartbreaking story and turned right around and chosen to represent the man who did it. And I suspect it was technically legal because CK signed all of her rights away when she gave her POA. Absolutely taken advantage of, and absolutely unethical.

Mooooooooo.

This article explains a possible reason AT was assigned to this case, despite having represented TWO parents of victims. It goes into what is evaluated to determine potential COI.

Taylor is one of just 13 public defenders in Idaho approved by the state’s public defense commission to lead a capital punishment case. She’s also the only one in all of North Idaho. Prosecutors have yet to indicate whether they will seek the death penalty in Kohberger’s case.

Since 2000, the county public defender’s office has represented the homicide victim’s parent off and on in several cases, court records showed. Since Taylor took over, her office has defended the parent in four cases, including a misdemeanor from August 2017, for which Taylor took over as the attorney of record in September 2022.

Taylor’s office also has represented another parent of a Moscow homicides victim in four criminal cases since she became chief public defender. In two cases, online court records name Taylor as an “inactive” attorney.

For anyone who thinks that AT may not have been aware of the COI, the charges came days after the murders. There is no way that CK and AT could have had a conversation then without the murders coming up, imo. So she would have listened to CK tell her heartbreaking story and turned right around and chosen to represent the man who did it. And I suspect it was technically legal because CK signed all of her rights away when she gave her POA. Absolutely taken advantage of, and absolutely unethical.

Mooooooooo.
Where is the source that says the parent in question gave AT POA? POA over what, her life? Where is the evidence she signed all her rights away? Not following. MOO

Xana‘s mom says all she wants to know is “Why did he do this?“
As for “Why did he do this?“... the following things come to mind:

1. Curiosity and wanting to know what it felt like (answering his own survey because "he's smarter than everyone else" MOO that he thinks that.)
2. Urges that he could not suppress.
3. <modsnip - speculation of potential mental illness is off limits>

Or a combination of the above which IMO I think is likely, including up to all 3.

All MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the source that says the parent in question gave AT POA? POA over what, her life? Where is the evidence she signed all her rights away? Not following. MOO
I am working off of the assumption that what CK said about POA in the Banfield interview was accurate.

This is new information, so we don't know yet what exactly the POA would have said. But here's Idaho POA info: Section 15-12-301 – Idaho State Legislature

It was said on AB tonight. Part two is tomorrow night. We should find out if that is correct. It may be a misunderstanding of legal terms that she is going off of.

I just noticed this at the Cases of Interest webpage. Looking forward to see if there's an update.

"District court cases on this page are updated every Friday"

If you click on “ case summary “ on the upper left above the column of dates you’ll get this :

Scroll to the bottom and there’s an entry dated 1/23 called Response to t Request for Discovery.

If it’s not sealed for some reason, we will probably see it uploaded on Friday. JMO

Cara Northington is facing the harsh reality that the person she trusted most has now dropped her case — to represent the accused killer of XK.

The court-appointed defense attorney for Kohberger previously represented Northington before switching to take his case, according to court records.

Anne Taylor, chief of the Kootenai County Public Defender’s Office, withdrew from Northington’s case Jan. 5, the same day Kohberger made his first court appearance in Moscow, Idaho. Since Taylor took over the public defender’s office in 2017, her office has defended Northington in four cases, the Idaho Statesman reported.

In the most recent case, drug charges were filed against Northington on Nov. 19, six days after XXXX were found dead inside an off-campus rental home.

This article explains a possible reason AT was assigned to this case, despite having represented TWO parents of victims. It goes into what is evaluated to determine potential COI.

Taylor is one of just 13 public defenders in Idaho approved by the state’s public defense commission to lead a capital punishment case. She’s also the only one in all of North Idaho. Prosecutors have yet to indicate whether they will seek the death penalty in Kohberger’s case.

Since 2000, the county public defender’s office has represented the homicide victim’s parent off and on in several cases, court records showed. Since Taylor took over, her office has defended the parent in four cases, including a misdemeanor from August 2017, for which Taylor took over as the attorney of record in September 2022.

Taylor’s office also has represented another parent of a Moscow homicides victim in four criminal cases since she became chief public defender. In two cases, online court records name Taylor as an “inactive” attorney.
Of note in the linked article:
It is unclear whether Kohberger is aware of his attorney’s prior connection to the parents of two of the four students he is accused of killing. Previous Statesman requests for an in-person interview with Kohberger through Taylor, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office, which manages the county jail where he’s being held, did not receive responses.

Unless it is true that AT has POA for her. I’m not aware of how that works but there may be a loophole.
I wonder if the power of attorney was given to the Public Defender's Office, and not necessarily to AT as her attorney, but maybe AT was named as POA agent due to her role as director/chief in charge of the Public Defender's Office.

Mooooooooo.
Wait, what? Who gave POA to who? Where did this come from? A client doesn't give a PD POA.

Of note in the linked article:
It is unclear whether Kohberger is aware of his attorney’s prior connection to the parents of two of the four students he is accused of killing. Previous Statesman requests for an in-person interview with Kohberger through Taylor, and the Latah County Sheriff’s Office, which manages the county jail where he’s being held, did not receive responses.
Because of the 1/3/23 Nondissemination Order, of course.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Who gave POA to who? Where did this come from? A client doesn't give a PD POA.
It seems like a weird choice, yes, but maybe she didn't have others she trusted. FWIW my RE attorney will often have clients appoint another attorney in his office as POA if they aren't local or otherwise unable to attend closing, so it is very possible to grant an attorney POA.

It seems like a weird choice, yes, but maybe she didn't have others she trusted. FWIW my RE attorney will often have clients appoint another attorney in his office as POA if they aren't local or otherwise unable to attend closing, so it is very possible to grant an attorney POA.
That would be very unusual. I'd like to hear more about this with some verified sources.

Angela Palermo
@apalermotweets

Some important context: Anne Taylor is one of 13 public defenders in Idaho (and the only one in North Idaho) who are approved by the Public Defense Co

To be clear, prosecutors have not said whether they will seek the death penalty in this case.

The other 12 are, at minimum, a five and a half hour drive from Moscow. A drive that, might I add, involves narrow roads that wind through the mountains and can be quite dangerous in winter conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annabella2320