ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So why were the two survivors spared? Any theories?
There might have been some commotion and he feared it had been overheard, upon which he supposed that he'd better get while the getting was still good. Perhaps he was simply spent from the exertion of killing four people. Or perhaps he didn't know they were in the house.

No sorry texas I was just hoping someone had it but sounds like this will be coming out soon.
I posted it on page 8:

This is a MsM newscast, 45 seconds in it is reported that SG sees a connection to BK and Kaylee but they aren’t ready to disclose it.

I’m too lazy to read back and see if anyone has posted this yet.

They had his DNA and used it in a genealogy search, found family and then narrowed it down. I'm sure him having a Hyundai Elantra was an important piece in that.

If they knew he was a suspect while he was finishing up his classes, they may have found a way to get this DNA. It didn't necessarily need to be at the crime scene.

My thoughts which are immature is that there is something with M or K and it’s big. X and E were not even figured into the equation. This perp was on a mission. They were collateral damage - meant in the nicest of ways apologies for not knowing how to say that nicer.

Yes, my dad is a detective and has said something similar. He had to bring a suspect back that had fled to a neighboring state and he literally just confessed to the entire crime. He kept going on about it, even making jokes. I'm sure the stories from your dad are similar to the ones from mine!
Tough job. I feel for LE, first responders, etc. the PTSD that goes with it. And yes, we probably have heard similar awful stories... And a reason we are on a true crime forum!

Maybe four was a satisfying number.

Maybe he was all tired out, after four.

Maybe he didn’t know the house well, and didn’t realize that the bottom floor had bedrooms that were occupied.

Maybe he got scared—thought the police were coming.

Maybe he didn’t want to bash through locked doors—what if he found someone stronger than he was, and wide awake.

Maybe he got a thrill out of deciding who should live and who should die.

That last one feels like a stretch, but the rest all feel plausible, to me.

MOO The timeline is too short for that. To enroll in a doctoral program, you need more time to apply, accept, etc. Three months isn’t long enough for all that process…
Agreed. He was almost certainly already accepted at WSU when he posted that survey and likely had been accepted for the doctoral program for months, pending successful completion of his thesis. MOO

I knew about acceptance into my grad program by January of that year, despite it not starting until August.

Edited to add: I think it is quite possible he'd already resolved to commit a murder once he was out there well before he actually moved.

Now that more details have been released about BK's past history, I'm not so sure this guy is all that "smart". He probably made good grades and was working towards his PhD, but I suspect he skipped too many chapters of his Criminology textbook or began sleeping during lectures or something. We are talking about a guy who knowingly snuck into a home planning to confront the occupants with nothing but a knife. This got me to wondering whether he had been treated for bipolar disorder in the past or some other mental illness lMO.

I agree with those posters here who think his troubles and major behavioral changes began to surface during his adolescent period, and he began to slowly escalate from that point on.

Just my opinion.

Bipolar disorder does not make people break into homes and kill. Sure, someone can have bipolar disorder and also be a criminal, but it isn't the bipolar disorder that made them do that.

If they knew he was a suspect while he was finishing up his classes, they may have found a way to get this DNA. It didn't necessarily need to be at the crime scene.
I recall reading in at least a couple of places that they'd found it at the scene. Not really surprising, since modern techniques can amplify DNA from an amount so tiny you'd hardly think it existed and after a number of iterations can have enough to work with easily.

I saw a discussion this afternoon on CNN with some guest experts discussing how its not unusual for killers to have studied criminology in school - BTK and Ted Bundy were a couple of killers they mentioned. IIRC, the experts said its less likely they use the study of criminology to replace or subvert their own drive to kill. Instead, studying criminology at college or night school is a way to supplement their knowledge and provide a socially acceptable outlet for their interests.
There is a woman in Canada (Kayla Bourque), Criminology student who tortured and killed animals.

Ticking time bomb. Had a kill kit and studied it, pretty much on her way to becoming a killer if not a serial killer. She did some jail time but is now out (IIRC maybe electronically monitored can't remember) which is super freaky. A public notification went out to the public upon her release for public to know who she is. She will do it one day I'm sure :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm super overwhelmed by all the articles being released, especially as actual information is getting harder to find now that there's a suspect. I want to go back to the beginning though, as there's so many opinions bouncing around in my head and just want to ground myself. I need to know if it was ever confirmed that KG had a stalker - or if that was just fabricated.

I've toyed with the idea myself, but for the life of me can't figure out what connection he'd have with that remote house in the country hundreds of miles from where he was living. It's not completely impossible that there are two killers who like to break into houses and stab people in their beds at 3 o'clock in the morning.
The house in PA near the Poconos belonged to his parents. He also grew up in the area and attended school there as well. He moved to Pullman Washington around August 2022.

apologies if this has been mentioned, but does Idaho have any differences in sentencing? just speculating a reason for him to commit the crime a short distance away, but in another state.

I have posted in earlier threads about the possible connection with other unsolved murders in the area, and although they have been ruled unconnected, I can’t help but feel like this is not his first crime.

Regardless, very happy to see the hard work pay off- after delphi and some other cases, I can admit that I was not expecting an arrest this quickly. Looking forward to the pca and time to reveal more (all imo)
I'm not sure about murder, but he may have practiced by entering a home while a woman was sleeping. Maybe not sexually motivated - but practice. Could have scared women enough not to report. I agree with you, it's so unusual for this type of murderer to be caught the very first time they commit a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot