ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
criminal justice post grad notwithstanding, I don't think BK is nearly as smart as he thinks he is. I think that is part of his personality makeup that goes to the heart of what created this killer. JMO This guy is deeply insecure and has spent his life trying to convince himself and others he is not.

Generally you take any opportunity you can to delay (if guilty lol). Only reason I can see for not fighting extradition is if the conditions where he is currently locked up are for some reason thought to be worse than Idaho’s accommodations.

Extradition is a process, as the attached flowchart shows. Essentially, one governor (in the “demand” state) asks the governor in the “asylum” state for the suspect to be moved to the demand state. In a case like this, it’s largely a formality. The defendant can raise objections but in a case like this, the governor in PA will not delay the process. It’s a legal process but imagine the political consequences of not extraditing this guy. It’s essentially a matter of following the steps. In PA, the governor doesn’t even hold a governor’s hearing.

99.9% of the time when people use the term OCD they just mean “extreme.” I’d hope by 2023 people would stop using “OCD” in passing. It’s a medical diagnosis. And this former aunt by marriage seems like she just wants her 15 mins.
I feel the same way about this aunt. She's used medical-diagnosis words (fetish; OCD) to describe a perfectly ordinary behavior of not wanting to eat something cross-contaminated with something you don't eat, whether due to personal choice, ethics, religion or allergy. He probably just declined to eat their food and she turned it into him demanding that she buy new pots. He's obviously vile but this former family member seems to be reaching.

Obviously we can't be sure but I saw those comments as well and they gave me the creeps. They sounded apathetic and cocky. Some of the wording felt gratuitous as well. MOO
I wonder if he got any legitimate responses to his survey. Was he trying to live vicariously through any responses he received? If he didn’t receive any responses, was the lack of information to feed his growing obsession with killing someone enough to push him over the edge to have to experience it himself? Or did he get responses that fueled his desire to feel what it was like to have that control over someone’s life or death?

IMO he is cold and calculating. I don’t see him as a rage killer. I feel like it was more of a deep jealousy that led to hatred towards all four victims and what they represented - attractive, social, fun, close friendships, bright futures, etc. He once again felt like he was on the outside looking in. Moving across the country and a fresh start at a new school didn’t change anything for him. He still didn’t fit in and, like an untreated infection below the surface, that feeling of resentment and hatred festered and grew.

IMO the killings were about power and control. I also feel that, although they haven’t found the murder weapon, BK knows exactly where it is and that he didn’t get rid of it. It is somewhere “safe” where he could revisit/reclaim it at some point - either to use again or simply to hold, feel, smell, etc - almost like it is a friend or lover.

anybody else think he will want to represent himself with assistance from counsel? Odds? I feel like he will want the stage a trial presents him with. An opportunity to finally be "seen" . . .

I'd hate to be a DeSales' graduate student right now. I would expect that it'll be quite the process for some time to get approval for studies involving adults. Psych, Soc, Criminal Justice, etc., all of those graduate degrees just got more challenging due to the increased IRB scrutiny, imoo.
From an educational point of view, more rigor in the design of studies is better, in general. The point of a study is not just to complete the thesis (etc.), it’s for graduate students to learn how to do research—-what research methods involve, how to frame research questions, how to evaluate the data or do a case analysis, how to identify research errors of various kinds. So scrutiny should be part of the process.

II've just seen the news - and somehow, after all these weeks of following this and hoping for a breakthrough, I don't feel relieved (although I am glad they caught him) I just feel so sad that these lives were wasted. RIP beautiful souls xo

Well done LE. Bravo!
I went to MBA school starting in 2014. I had to take 14 courses including 2 pre-requisites. I was working during the day and going to school at night. My original plan was to finish in 2 years - Spring, Summer 1, Summer 2 and Fall semesters. Well, the best laid plans took longer than expected and it took me 3 and 1/2 years to finish my MBA. So, he may not have finished his master's in 2 years.
Exactly. People go to school at all ages, so I’m not understanding the relevance of this part of that comment. I’m just now completing my bachelor’s in my 30s and I’m certainly not a murderer or even a criminal. But evidently it makes me suspicious? That’s disappointing news.

But being a doctoral student in criminology, why didn’t he think the dna would connect him?
Good point.
I was talking about him thinking his car would not be connected. Like someone said he had no idea if his license was captured on the cameras as LE disclosed the white car image to news outlets.
But the statement that they had 22,000
cars in the area to look at - might have given him an exhale.

MOO

anybody else think he will want to represent himself with assistance from counsel? Odds? I feel like he will want the stage a trial presents him with. An opportunity to finally be "seen" . . .
If so, it would be better IMO that no cameras be allowed in the court room. Shouldn’t give him a “stage” to be seen on. moo

If they knew he was a suspect while he was finishing up his classes, they may have found a way to get this DNA. It didn't necessarily need to be at the crime scene.
I think they must have tracked him by his DNA that was found at the crime scene. Why decide to test a random who's home state is PA and studies at a university in Washington state, who has no record?

"Hayden Stinchfield said Kohberger was the teacher's assistant in one of her criminology classes. He seemed disengaged most of the time and was a harsh grader, she said.

"He was definitely kind of a creepy guy," she said.

Stinchfield said she noticed in the days after the killings that Kohberger seemed more distracted and disheveled, letting his facial hair grow out.

"We noticed distinctly, like, oh, he must be going through it. He's, yeah, he's looking a lot worse," she said.

**Not to discredit this persons or anyone's recollection of any criminal**

Incases like this, when a murderer kinda comes out of left field with no priors arrests etc and people from their past all begin to come out of the woodwork mostly all saying the same things. Does anyone else ever wonder what that same interviewee would have remembered and said about this person if asked before they were ever arrested or even considered a POI? Its always crossed my mind...

Last edited:
IMO Agreed 100%. IOW, he suspects who the stabber is, so B hightailed it out of town because he was the driver of the Elantra-sort of an unknowing accomplice.
Okay here is a weird theory. What if he was an accomplice? What if some other person, that was closer to the victims was also involved? Gonna be curious to see what if any connection he had to the victims.
Not weird at all! Great points by @Strong1 and @drmrgrl. Police have not disclosed if a second DNA profile was found at the crime scene.

But this just isn't true. A large number of drug abusers may have other psych conditions due to their primary illness of addiction, but not because there's a co-morbid disorder that's driving the addition. The cases of drugs mimicking symptoms of psych disorders are not outliers. We even have a diagnosis for it -- substance-induced depressive disorder or substance-induced mania or substance-induced psychosis. It's a billable code and everything. It's definitely not an outlier. In fact, if you ever work on a detox unit, you'll see about 95% of the patients there will carry one of the above diagnoses. If I treat a patient with substance abuse and they have depression, I usually won't even touch the depression until we have a sobriety plan and re-assessment of the depression once the patient has been sober for a while. That's because drugs and alcohol CAUSE a great number of psych conditions.

Respectfully disagree. They don't cause them. They correlate to them. Drugs and alcohol can exacerbate underlying psychiatric issues (alcohol--->depression, stimulants--->mania/psychosis, cannabis---->psychosis/anxiety), and many psychiatric conditions are prone to substance abuse (particularly the ones that end up in front of a physician in an emergent and/or inpatient setting). And yes, many drugs can mimic psychiatric symptoms, but the number of accurately diagnosed patients seen for those situations are few and far between. IMO, it is neither prudent nor wise to assume that a patient experiencing psychiatric symptoms from acute intoxication doesn't have an underlying psychiatric condition driving the substance abuse. Indeed, the choice to engage in risky behaviors like chronic drug-seeking and abuse is in much the same way the choice of a transient to live on the streets. Sure, it's a choice, but a sane one?

And I agree that it is absolutely necessary to wait to assess after the acute intoxication has subsided. But why wait until they get sober to give them psychiatric medications if psychiatric symptoms are present post-acute intoxication? Harm reduction is the play here, not tee-totalling, IMO. If a psychiatric medication can help reduce some of the behaviors that trigger/facilitate one's use, and make them more likely to seek support for both psychiatric issues and substance abuse, why not prescribe?

My opinion.

Last edited:
In my opinion, he really made no attempt to evade anyone. He went right back to classes, went home on break, etc. Did he really think he was that much smarter than LE or was he just waiting to be caught somewhere along the way? JMHO

He certainly took precautions with his car. And likely parked in a place he had cased out for cameras. There’s no possible way he would have pulled up to the house or even parked a block away with the Elantra. But I think regardless of whatever he tried his issue was always going to be the time he committed the crimes.

I lived in one of the biggest college towns on the East Coast. Multiple schools in this one town. Even more within 10 miles.

A common misconception is that a 15k student school would have a road filled with partying students at that time. We had 3 times that population and it just wasn’t true. DUI/OUIs were a very real pervasive threat. So weekends, drinking, and traveling via vehicles just didn’t really happen.

While there were cars on the road at 3:30am on the weekend it tended to be the same cars. Employees who were arriving or leaving for a shift at the University. A designated driver here and there picking someone up.

It was probably fairly straightforward for LE to establish a pattern and quickly filter out cars. Regardless of where he parked his car. Maybe this is something he underestimated.

Good catch back in November on the Pullman possibility.

I don't understand how driving from Pullman to Moscow would be a "thrill." If you wanted a thrill kill, you wouldn't go next door. Moscow and Pullman operate as one community if you live there. It would be like going to Target if you usually go to WalMart for the "thrill."

Also, it baffles my mind that a CrimJ PhD student would decide to drive 8 miles to murder someone in a state that has the death penalty, from a state that has a moratorium on the death penalty. Of course he would know that. That's why I am thinking this WAS targeted toward someone in that house. If it wasn't he would have killed somewhere in WA instead.

I don’t think that ‘thrill kill’ has anything at all to do with distance traveled. The thrill, for them, comes from the killing. They don’t murder people every day.

Interesting point about the laws in the respective states. My first thought is that he didn’t think it through, because, ‘after all, he was so brilliant that he wasn’t going to get caught.’

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members