ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE did such a great job. They’ve got him nailed no doubt. They knew they had their man following him cross country which allowed them to take anything he discarded- Dunkin Donuts cup, plastic utensils, discarded food, chewed gum, fingerprints on the faucet at a public restroom, on and on to test for DNA. And they could’ve done all that as soon as he came up on their radar back in Idaho. They get a match. Then, you have on top of that all that evidence that will further get him- the apartment, workplace, that car, and then all the digital footprints. His search engine history, did he search the home online, follow the girls on social media. So much. A treasure trove.

’I think he was playing mindgames like other SKs asking if any other arrests were made. He had it all planned out what he would say or not. I hope they make a deal with him to tell all in exchange for life without parole.

Getting IRB approval is a rigorous process
It is a red flag to have a survey appear in public to be completed by people online with the appearance of being approved by a research committee- and not have been.
If he has the school’s name, his own name, and also contacts from the school- that looks like fraud by someone not playing with a full deck
How did someone earn an MS without knowing basic research methods?
This sounds like an unapproved class project, not any type of approved research

JMO
I'm not knocking them at all, but his Masters was an MA, which I find a little surprising given the science involved in criminology. However, there's plenty of human behavior, too. AJMOO Regardless, he should have entered his PhD studies with a firm grasp of basic research methods.

from your link:

Casey's brother, Thomas, described Kohberger as a 'bully' who would happily note his friends' 'flaws and insecurities' in order to distract from his own weight struggled.

'He did that to me all the time,' Thomas told The Daily Beast. 'He would go after my intelligence. He would basically insinuate that I'm kind of slow-witted and that I'm forgetful and that I lack the intelligence to be his friend.'

Thomas finally cut off the friendship after the continuous bullying. He noted how his father, a maintenance worker, and mother, a substitute teacher, were 'genuinely kind people.'
This description of BK as a subtle, intellectual bully is reminiscent of Big Bang Theory‘s Sheldon Cooper. How and why did he progress to act out a modern-day Helter Skelter-ish mass murder? Scary stuff.

Just signed up on here .. had to put my opinion into the mix. I'm hedging that DNA / genealogy was the big ticket, along with the car. FBI likely followed him and got DNA from trash or something in PA, either from him or family member. Also, very curious if this was his first killing. Also hedging he'll do a plea deal, to stay alive.

I think they must have tracked him by his DNA that was found at the crime scene. Why decide to test a random who's home state is PA and studies at a university in Washington state, who has no record?
I believe you missed a point. With all other evidence available that produces a short list, even if you have DNA of the crimes scene, then you may have warrant to attempt to collect DNA. If 5 suspects had white Elantras, and they had a connection to the victims, then knowing that DNA is being processed from the crime scene, I would want to collect DNA indirectly from the suspects provided a warrant was substantial. That DNA could be processed through a geological service just as the DNA from the crime scene. My thought is that the crime scene processing would go toward a contracted DNA processor to match within the national criminal database(whatever it is called). To me, once they have suspects, they would want to start observing and sampling such that a warrant may be supported by their observation or findings. A crime scene DNA match to a residential DNA match would provide a definitive link along with the car just as we have read. In the end, its more about parallel processing to arrive at a conclusion faster. A broad net to gather and sort, a verification of observed patterns, a statement of work to justify invest in more resources and discovery. If the suspect was in a house just behind the 1122 house, what would you do ? Wait several weeks before crime scene data is processed, or begin observing the house next door and collect DNA evidence that is tossed to the curb. And use the genealogical labs. If there was an item left behind and DNA is collected from that item, it pretty clear and their is plenty. However, if there is no physical item to select, then it seems that sampling is performed without knowledge who's DNS is being collected. Have I made my point clear ?

He drove a white Elantra and lived ten mins away.
Genetic genealogy helped investigators identify the suspect, a source with knowledge of the case said. DNA found in Idaho was taken through a public database to find potential matches for family members, the source said. Once potential family matches were found, subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to the identification of Kohberger, according to the source.

The suspect drove across country in the white car to his parents’ house, according to another law enforcement source. “Sometime right before Christmas we were zeroing in on him being in or going to Pennsylvania,” the source told CNN.

LE did such a great job. They’ve got him nailed no doubt. They knew they had their man following him cross country which allowed them to take anything he discarded- Dunkin Donuts cup, plastic utensils, discarded food, chewed gum, fingerprints on the faucet at a public restroom, on and on to test for DNA. And they could’ve done all that as soon as he came up on their radar back in Idaho. They get a match. Then, you have on top of that all that evidence that will further get him- the apartment, workplace, that car, and then all the digital footprints. His search engine history, did he search the home online, follow the girls on social media. So much. A treasure trove.

’I think he was playing mindgames like other SKs asking if any other arrests were made. He had it all planned out what he would say or not. I hope they make a deal with him to tell all in exchange for life without parole.
Do you think he really thought he'd get away with it, or has he just been waiting for a knock at the door?

Christmas must have been glaringly 'off' this year in that household. MOO

Healey and Kohberger's NCC friend both used the word "shocked" to describe their reactions when they heard about law enforcement's early Friday morning raid on his parents' Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, home and his subsequent arrest.

Kohberger's NCC friend said she found out that he was in custody while she was at work, and she took a few moments to herself, because she began to tear up.

He was "awkward and intelligent, but not someone you would peg for violent," she said.

"I want to talk to him now and ask him what happened? What went wrong? What was going through your head? What were you feeling? What was going on? You know, why did this occur?"

His friend said that he didn't interact with many people on campus but was friendly with her, and they talked "for hours" about his struggles with heroin addiction and his weight and kept in touch after they graduated.

He had no recorded dna, but police had datasets they hadn't declared in criminology imo

Familial family found a family member, then police scored some rubbish to confirm it was him.

I don't think he planned on leaving too much dna

These perpetrators are delusional. They think they're smarter than police

We shall here
AIMOO
"then police scored some rubbish to confirm it was him."

What are you trying to say here? What does "scored some rubbish" mean?

Thanks, haven't seen this posted before. It's unnerving IMO to think about K's family early on saying she was a websleuth (see page 1 of every thread from Mods about this), and she was interested in following crime online & if that could be a possible connection as to where they could have crossed paths since he was getting a PhD in the criminal field. Eeeek
Frightening point. Wonder if he was here ...

Genetic genealogy techniques were used to connect Kohberger to unidentified DNA evidence, another source with knowledge of the case tells CNN. The DNA was run through a public database to find potential family member matches, and subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to him as the suspect, the source said.
Yes, quoting my own post. IIRC, Dennis Rader's daughter’s DNA helped to catch him.
I refuse to call a mass murderer by a name he created for himself.

CNN says some geneology DNA was involved. My guess is that they got enough of a profile from the house that they compared it with those databases first. Or they collected trash samples first? From like all uni students with an Elantra... and close neighbors. Some kind of criteria like that.

Agree 100%! Thank you for your very informative post. It brought back a lot of memories of the research I had to do for my Masters.

I’ve seen several posts that note that obtaining a PhD is very difficult when commenting on BK. Please correct me if I’m wrong - but wasn’t he just beginning his work towards his PhD? If so, I’d like to view this as another indicator that maybe he isn’t quite as smart as he wanted everyone to believe.
I have a lot of trouble with the super-emphasis on this PhD. It is not any huge academic accomplishment, especially since he just started?

What did this guy do after high school graduation?
He obviously had some gap years, not getting the Associates degree until 2018.
Was he working as the part-time school officer before or during the AA degree?

i dunno.... too much is missing here.

Agree. Serious killers with anti-social personality disorders tend to be very focused on manipulating other people to do what they want. The diet issue seems more like a passive aggressive way of controlling others. There's also something about his habits (from what I've read) that sounds like like OCD.

Not trying to do armchair analysis, there really isn't enough information about him.
Armchair analysis is sometimes the best. Is this case going to take our time for another 6 years Betty P :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme