ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you missed a point. With all other evidence available that produces a short list, even if you have DNA of the crimes scene, then you may have warrant to attempt to collect DNA. If 5 suspects had white Elantras, and they had a connection to the victims, then knowing that DNA is being processed from the crime scene, I would want to collect DNA indirectly from the suspects provided a warrant was substantial. That DNA could be processed through a geological service just as the DNA from the crime scene. My thought is that the crime scene processing would go toward a contracted DNA processor to match within the national criminal database(whatever it is called). To me, once they have suspects, they would want to start observing and sampling such that a warrant may be supported by their observation or findings. A crime scene DNA match to a residential DNA match would provide a definitive link along with the car just as we have read. In the end, its more about parallel processing to arrive at a conclusion faster. A broad net to gather and sort, a verification of observed patterns, a statement of work to justify invest in more resources and discovery. If the suspect was in a house just behind the 1122 house, what would you do ? Wait several weeks before crime scene data is processed, or begin observing the house next door and collect DNA evidence that is tossed to the curb. And use the genealogical labs. If there was an item left behind and DNA is collected from that item, it pretty clear and their is plenty. However, if there is no physical item to select, then it seems that sampling is performed without knowledge who's DNS is being collected. Have I made my point clear ?
Yes you've made your point clear. How about this. It could have happened either way. IF the killer in his frenzied attacking and slaughter of 4 people cut himself, OR the victims managed to scratch, pull hair, draw blood...that DNA would have most likely been on one or more of their bodies. Genetics testing could have led back to a family in PA AND the white Hyundai Elantra could have been registered as being owned by the suspect OR one of his parents.

News Nation Ashley Banfield was talking to a local reporter in Pullman, WA at the scene of the suspects apartment building for graduate students for Washington State University. The reporter mentioned LE leaving with many things including the suspect's garbage. That will contain cooberating DNA evidence that the guy at the murder scene is the same guy living in the Pullman apartment, IMO.

My point being, four stabbing murders, where some of the victims fought back, it's likely the suspect's DNA was left behind on the victims. For as smart as this guy seems to be with all his degrees of criminal justice and psychology schooling, sounds like it was good old DNA at the crime scene that caught him. AJMO

Catching up......LE started following him in Washington if I'm correct? I'm curious as to how they knew he was heading to Pennsylvania
They didnt. They followed him.
But as the car had PA licence plate, they may guessed he is heading home, at least at some point. It is irrelevant.

The only reason they did not arresr him before he went off to PA, whilst still in Pullman, was that they did not have his conclusive DNA match with DNA from the crime scene by then, jmo.

Genetic genealogy techniques were used to connect Kohberger to unidentified DNA evidence, another source with knowledge of the case tells CNN. The DNA was run through a public database to find potential family member matches, and subsequent investigative work by law enforcement led to him as the suspect, the source said.

BBM I go back to this. My mother and dad did the Ancestry.com DNA search several years ago, now I can't help but wonder how many parents or grandparents will be helping LE solve crimes that a family member committed. Quite ironic. Total disclosure - I have not committed any crimes, lol.

I've been fixated on how did he even get in the house. I thought it was settled that the sliding door was locked. BK father is an HVAC guy and BK was studying all kinds of criminal behavior. He might have known some insider tricks on where to find a key (under doormat etc), how to use crowbars and other jimmying devices. Still not sure how he got in there...

At DeSales, Kohberger was a student of forensic psychology Professor Katherine Ramsland, a renowned expert in serial killers who has authored dozens of books and served as a television crime commentator.

Thompson said investigators believe Kohberger broke into the University of Idaho students' home “with the intent to commit murder.” He is also charged with felony burglary.
One can only speculate at this point, but I wonder if BK started his descent into depravity while studying with Professor Ramsland, who explores the world of the serial killer from the criminal's perspective much as BK's study was designed to do. In 2016, she published her interviews with the BTK killer under the title, "Confession." She was probably working on this book while BK was her student. My view is that BK began to identify with BTK while he was studying under Ramsland. Chillingly, BTK had a personal code for his motto: “D.T.P.G.” stands for “Death to pretty girls.”

It would be easy for a young man with internal and external boundary issues to go to the dark side with this charismatic professor and not find his way back. Much of her work is fiction and fantasy, literally. Some is pseudo-science IMO, including her work on profiling. She seems to acknowledge this point in an NYT interview:

"Years before she started studying serial killers, Ramsland wrote her Ph.D. dissertation on Soren Kierkegaard, the “father” of existentialism. She sees Kierkegaard as informing her most controversial idea in 'Confession' — that some serial killers are more like the rest of us than common wisdom tells us. In the annals of serial killers, [BTK] is hardly the only one who held down a facade of normalcy while hunting his prey, but he managed it far longer than many others. There are many qualities, Ramsland writes, that ordinary people share with so-called monsters: 'overestimating our willpower, idealizing ourselves, daydreaming about power, indulging in secret behaviors that keep attracting us, deceiving others and keeping secrets.' She believes that all of us should lock our doors at night."

She also states in the interview: "Sometimes I think I may be a psychopath." Interesting woman.

Yes, I can't find the reference now, but PA definitely requires fingerprinting for anyone working in schools. My Philly-based friend had to go through a rigorous process that included fingerprinting in order to volunteer at a school library.
I also worked in the PA school system, originally as a volunteer then took on a p/t gig. I had to have an my fingerprints and background check done. I was thinking of this when we learned he worked in the school system however I didn't have to give DNA. My DH and I also coached and had to have background checks done.

Do you think he really thought he'd get away with it, or has he just been waiting for a knock at the door?

Christmas must have been glaringly 'off' this year in that household. MOO
I think he thinks he’s the smartest one in the room. I think he believes that his studies have honed in on what he could do to create the perfect crime. I can’t wait for them to run DNA against unsolved murders, which I think now some will get solved.

They didnt. They followed him.
But as the car had PA licence plate, they may guessed he is heading home, at least at some point. It is irrelevant.

The only reason they did not arresr him before he went off to PA, whilst still in Pullman, was that they did not have his conclusive DNA match with DNA from the crime scene by then, jmo.
As far as I know the only report of him being tracked was in the area he was arrested, for 4 days, they tracked him.
There are no reports that he was tracked elsewhere or for the duration or commencement of his visit home.

I feel the same way about this aunt. She's used medical-diagnosis words (fetish; OCD) to describe a perfectly ordinary behavior of not wanting to eat something cross-contaminated with something you don't eat, whether due to personal choice, ethics, religion or allergy. He probably just declined to eat their food and she turned it into him demanding that she buy new pots. He's obviously vile but this former family member seems to be reaching.
Wants her 10 minutes of Fame. Disgusting.

He certainly took precautions with his car. And likely parked in a place he had cased out for cameras. There’s no possible way he would have pulled up to the house or even parked a block away with the Elantra. But I think regardless of whatever he tried his issue was always going to be the time he committed the crimes.

I lived in one of the biggest college towns on the East Coast. Multiple schools in this one town. Even more within 10 miles.

A common misconception is that a 15k student school would have a road filled with partying students at that time. We had 3 times that population and it just wasn’t true. DUI/OUIs were a very real pervasive threat. So weekends, drinking, and traveling via vehicles just didn’t really happen.

While there were cars on the road at 3:30am on the weekend it tended to be the same cars. Employees who were arriving or leaving for a shift at the University. A designated driver here and there picking someone up.

It was probably fairly straightforward for LE to establish a pattern and quickly filter out cars. Regardless of where he parked his car. Maybe this is something he underestimated.
BBM: Maybe this is something he underestimated.

You are probably correct. One of the first things, I noticed very early one, was that this crime occurred the same night as the last home football game of the year. I always felt the killer thought it was the best day to strike. He likely underestimated his anonymity.

In addition to all the DNA they likely got following him, taking his discarded coffee cups, plastic utensils, food wrappers,etc, as I said in an earlier post a while ago, it’s been said he would’ve had to have been fingerprinted for a security guard job so they’ll have those as well. They’ve got the goods on him.

Well, if they had him as a target, it would be pretty easy to follow him and connect him to PA. My question would be, how and when did he become the target? Thank god for the corner store girl randomly going through surveillance video! Hero!!

I thought about her too, she could have easily have been on her phone talking, texting, googling.

Wish there was an award for her.

I am finding it interesting that he seems to have spent/lived his whole life in Pennsylvania in a pretty tight radius imo. Did he ever even live away from his parents house until he moved cross country to WA to do the phd? Did he need all that distance from all that was familiar to act out his disgusting desires? Curious why he choose to go clear across the country to an imo an obscure school. There are small towns everywhere - with inexperienced LE. Why all that distance from home? On the other hand it might be a simple reason like a scholarship? Jmo

What corner store girl? I must have missed something. TIA
At some point (maybe a couple weeks into the investigation) a girl working at a Moscow gas station was randomly going through old video around the time of the murder when she discovered the "white car" at about 3am speeding by. Theories are, this was him and could be how LE started focusing on white Elantra.

Well, if they had him as a target, it would be pretty easy to follow him and connect him to PA. My question would be, how and when did he become the target? Thank god for the corner store girl randomly going through surveillance video! Hero!!

Yes the video from the late night store clerk. I guess it must have been the Elantra, as there was a lot of speculation it was a different model car on the screenshot.

I think LE did a fantastic job. But still very bittersweet.

Catching up......LE started following him in Washington if I'm correct? I'm curious as to how they knew he was heading to Pennsylvania
LE had the registration information apparently and knew that it was registered in mother’s name and where she lived. Of cours,they had to track him not knowing if that’s where he was going.

I've looked and so sorry if this has been discussed previously - but I didn't see it. I did read we could discuss the leaked picture - is that BK sitting in the far right corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody