ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a story told yesterday by Andrew McCabe about how the FBI were able to surveil:

Appearing on CNN on Saturday, Andrew McCabe, who served as a deputy director for the FBI from 2016 to 2018, explained how agents were able to delicately surveil the suspect over the past several weeks. As he explained, Kohberger was on the "radar" of investigators before he left Idaho for Pennsylvania, allowing agents to track him from the beginning.

"It's an incredibly complicated, well-choreographed ballet, if I may, of surveillance efforts that would cross multiple FBI field divisions," McCabe said. "Would involve multiple surveillance teams who were following him in certain areas and handing him off to new teams."

McCabe also explained that, once in Pennsylvania, the surveillance efforts surrounding Kohberger needed further care and finesse, so as not to stand out to residents...

Former FBI Official Explains How Agents Tracked, Surveilled Bryan Kohberger
I saw the post yesterday and automatically thought that the multiple FBI field teams suggested "baton passing" along the route. Maybe even traffic helicopter fly overs.
ETA: JMO but maybe even the 'traffic stops' were organised to help with extra time for baton passing

Last edited:
I believe if I were being hauled off from my parents' home in the dead of night by LE out of the clear blue and I had done nothing wrong, I would say things like, "Whaaaat?!?!?" "What is this about?" "What's going on?" "I haven't done anything!" "You've got the wrong person!"

I might even say that same stuff if I were guilty. Lots of people do.

What I wouldn't say is something like (allegedly), "Has anyone else been taken into custody?"

What that sounds like to my prejudiced ear is 'Yeah, I did it, I participated, I sure did, but I want you to think, true or not, that I might not be the only one involved. I'm casual; I'm cool. What else you guys got?'

BK didn't scream you've got the wrong person; he asked do you have all the right people (including me)? At least that's how I hear it, but, again, my ear is not objective.

BK may have an enviable IQ but that doesn't mean he can't also be a dodo head at the same time. Or maybe that was a good thing to say strategy-wise, and I just need help to understand why.

However, to me, it appeared he wasn't all that invested in being seen as innocent, and his question came off a bit like an unintentional confession.
Agreed. Book smart maybe but not street smart on what to say.

In his defense though, it sounds like he’s always been weird so we can’t glean too much from his abnormal responses.

1/2/23

Kohberger is due in court Tuesday, when his attorney has indicated the suspect would waive extradition. The chief public defender for Monroe County, Pennsylvania, expected Kohberger to be returned to Idaho within 72 hours of Tuesday’s hearing, the attorney has said.

Kohberger’s parents and two sisters plan to attend Tuesday’s hearing, public defender Jason LaBar told CNN Monday. They will not be permitted to visit him while they’re there.

Until then, here are a few of the key details that remain unknown.

Thanks for sharing, but I take anything DM says with a grain of salt, particularly this.

This woman seems like an extremely unreliable source, desperate for her 15 minutes like the rest of the DM contributors coming out of the woodwork. I’m embarrassed for these people sharing all their ‘interesting’ tidbits.

Also, for someone like BK who from the limited info we have so far seems to have gone out of his way to try and deceive LE and the community, he doesn’t strike me as someone who would get into prison and start hurling violent abuse and exposing himself, particularly if reports are correct and he plans on exonerating himself.
Totally agree with you. If this behavior did indeed occur, hopefully they can rely on videotaped evidence of the cell rather than an inmate informant.

Yes. Jason LaBar is representing him in PA only regarding the extradition process.
okay thanks

I saw another post which said BK has 'two attorneys', meaning a personal attorney alongside the extradition attorney leBar. ( I can't remember who originally said it)

INSANITY DEFENSE in ID & WA? BCK's ACTIONS, REAL or RUSE?
He might have no idea that Idaho has no insanity defense? It’s not a common situation with the states, I believe, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he hadn’t thought through what he’d do if he were caught. No Google in jail!
(On a regular basis I see people assuming that whatever the law is in their home state, is true everywhere.) Not sure what PA has.
@wary Good point. Maybe he assumed insanity defense was available in all states, like in PA. his home state.

OTOH, is this hypo possible?
Perp plans to commit horrific crime in WA, where he knows state allows insanity defense in crim cases.
One day/night, impulsively carries out plan in ID., a state w no insanity defense. Oops.

Maybe he was never aware ID does not allow insanity defense, or maybe it just slipped his mind. Moscow is a quick, short drive from Pullman apt.

His "unusual behavior" in PA jail now --- real? Or a ruse which he thinks may help him? IDK.
[EDIT: Adding link re his (alleged) actions in jail.
'I cut them, I'll cut you': Idaho 'killer' shows genitals in jail rant ]

Last edited:

Very informative report, thanks for posting it.

The forensic team has BK's DNA from the CS. Where was it? Was he injured when Xana defended herself?

Blood is slippery. Did his hand slip on the blade of the weapon? Is that why he left before going downstairs?

Were his hands messy and sticky so he washed them in the kitchen sink before leaving? Crime Scene Detectives typically test water pipes and drains, even check the washing machine for blood.

Did detectives find and mark any shoe prints found around the CS?

Huh - I thought the PA, rather than BCK’s ID defense attorney (there isn’t one, AFAIK), petitioned the court to stop the cleanup?

Not sure why I thought that, tho, because I can’t find a link! Do you have one?

TIA
I wonder what BK's spin is on this considering he reportedly said something like "was anyone else arrested"? Or is this a ploy to give others doubt LE has dna evidence? What a mess!

"LaBar has requested a psychiatric evaluation."

news item also says that he has contacted the ID PD to get BK a public defender
in Idaho when he arrives there
MOO- we all saw this one coming.

<modsnip - off topic mental health discussion>

Apparently, authorities have evidence from data that proves his phone pings match up with several of the victims' phone location pings for weeks before they were allegedly butchered by Bryan. Their phones track together with his for weeks before they die. Bryan was stalking his prey.

He followed them bc he wanted to kill them. He took a knife and broke into their 1122 King Rd House. When they were asleep, he attacked them in such a brutal manner that they probably drew their last breath with the first vicious stab.

Meanwhile, BK went back to class, his work, his life as if things were normal. He harshly graded papers on NOV 27.

We may say, using slang, that he's crazy or call him insane bc he killed 4 healthy young people with a knife but he knew exactly what he was doing before and after their slaughter. He's far from normal. He lacks empathy for others. Possessing proper social skills is a characteristic that will allude him for his entire life but he's not insane.

Yes, it has been reported that his phone pinged as often being at the same locations as the victims for 2 or 3 weeks prior to the murders. And yes, it does appear that he may have been stalking his victims but don't forget, we have not seen any proof of that AND BK still has to be considered innocent UNTIL proven guilty, per the U.S Constitution.

In regards to BK breaking into their King Rd house, police have already said numerous times that there was no sign of forced entry so, technically, he did not break in......unless he was "that good" so as to not leave a sign or you know something I don't. :D;)

You used a lot of the dates I listed. And seemed to miss where I provided a link that says the FBI tracked him on a cross country trip.

Andrew McCabe is speculating on that reported news. Giving context. But hes not the source of the report. If you read what I wrote I clearly said McCabe was providing context but likely had no inside information.

The story of the FBI tracking was reported by many outlets. Attributed to a source. Independent of McCabe who was only asked about it.

Idaho college murders: Authorities tracked suspect Bryan Kohberger cross-country to Pennsylvania, sources say | abc7.com

You can’t just accept all of the other reported stories and then reject this one.
My point has always been that LE most likely tracked the car to PA. LE did not say trailed nor followed but tracked. Tracking could have and in MO was after the car had already reached PA. We can surely agree to disagree.
The dates listed were from an earlier detailed post giving the various timelines. If LE had already identified that BK was connected to the Elanta on 12-12 or thereabouts, why would they allow him to travel all the way to PA? JMO

I wonder what BK's spin is on this considering he reportedly said something like "was anyone else arrested"? Or is this a ploy to give others doubt LE has dna evidence? What a mess!
Isn’t there another serial killer who did the same? Was it Gacy?

One thing that I’ve wondered about with respect to the timeline and the Elantra is the 2:45-3:15 am window that was given. I believe that comes from the Linda Lane video? If so, what type of camera technology wouldn’t have a time stamp/clock of some type in order to provide an exact time, instead of a 30 minute window?

Also, has LE ever indicated that the Linda Lane video is THE Elantra in question? I don’t believe that’s the case, but I could clearly be wrong. Finally, can anybody confirm that LE stated that the 3:45 am sighting from the gas station video was deemed to be THE Elantra? I think ABC Nightly News was the source cited from a couple of days ago, but again, I’m not 100% sure that’s a bona fide LE publicly corroborated fact.

Thanks in advance for any info/insights.
I've been curious about why police provided a 30 minute window for the white car traveling West towards the murders between 2:45 and 3:15 AM. Agreed, CCTV cameras are hooked to computers which are hooked to online clock. There should not be any ambiguity, unless the white car was seen twice in that time frame.

Police have not said where the information about the white car originated, as far as I know ... not sure. Media has uncovered two possible sources: Linda Lane and 802 Troy Avenue Mobil gas. Both provided a photo.

okay thanks

I saw another post which said BK has 'two attorneys', meaning a personal attorney alongside the extradition attorney leBar. ( I can't remember who originally said it)
Oh ok. I haven’t seen that, so if there’s another attorney I didn’t know about them. It moves so fast it’s hard to keep up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluntzilla901