ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to the blood dripping on the exterior wall (sorry!).

I'm currently building my new house right now. I live relatively close to Moscow, but in Washington, so our building codes and the way we build for our climate should be similar. I go back and forth if that is actually blood or not. I will say this, heating oil is rarely used in the PNW and it looks like it can be confirmed this home had electric heating.

I wanted to share a photo of my home so people can maybe visualize the construction a bit better.

On top of the concrete foundation there is a foam material (acts like a gasket) placed between the sill plate and the foundation. The sill plate is 2" x 6" pressure treated lumber which the vertical lumber is then attached (framing). When the home is insulated, a heavy-duty caulking is applied around the entire base of the home to seal it even further. You'll see my insulation is currently being installed, when they are done installing the batts, a Visqueen vapor barrier will be installed on top of that (further sealing it), then the sheetrock, flooring, baseboards, etc.

I will say that darn, it does really look like blood dripping, but I just can't see it seeping out like that (unless this is a very shoddy built home). I also go back to all the reports that say the victims were killed in their sleep, which to me means they were in their beds. Sorry for being graphic, but wouldn't the mattress act like a sponge and absorb the blood?

Anyway, I have no idea if it's blood or not but thought it might help to show the construction process a bit.

edit: grammar

Last edited:
I think the knife could have been mid level quality and higher.

Regarding knives, the difference between mid and high quality knives is often a matter of better "fit and finish" and higher quality steel that allows that knife to keep its edge for a truly long time. Steel used in mid level knives, however, would easily permit such attacks.

As far as say, knives in the US go, ownership is probably statistically down as the nation continues to urbanize. Tradesman, whether urban or rural, still routinely carry knives. So would many ranchers and people just brought up carry one (I am in this group) etc.

But... the knife has been described as a "Ka Bar" or Ka Bar like (USMC fighting knife and more often- a utility tool). Tradesman, hunters, ranchers etc. tend to be very practical about knives as they must actually carry them. Ka Bars of any sort are heavy, cumbersome and have way more blade needed for hunting or tradesmen type tasks.

As a result, I strongly suspect the knife is not a "carry / use" knife. Rather, I think it was more likely purchased by a collector for its historical association, a wanna'be "Rambo" wanting something "tough", or somebody with characteristics of both groups.
I agree with everything you said. Just wanted to mention tho that I own a Ka Bar and am an avid backpacker. I carry it sheathed on my hip and use it for multiple things. Mostly slivering wood for kindling, but have also used it to awkwardly clean fish, and then just general cutting prying and what not. The xtra weight on my hip is not noticed. Oh the serated part I have also used as a saw. Its come in very handy. I initially bought it for defense when packing for a week alone thru National Forest. It combined with a multi tool and I dont really need anything else. I have even used it too make a small water path away from my tent in a long downpour lol.
It gets beat to hell but resharpens nice and when oiled is still nice after the abuse. No chips yet.
Since I got it I dont carry my multi axe anymore.

Typically, in cases like these, you hear reports from the families like, "the police should look at this person or that person." Or, "this guy that she knew was unstable." In this case, NOTHING.

I have a suspicion that, no matter how much the family members thought they knew about a victim’s social life, they were receiving a heavily redacted version of it.

(I told my family enough to worry them, but that was mainly because I was too naive to realize that they’d be worried. And some things that were serious, I let simmer for a few months before discussing.)

-Kaylee’s father has been told there was just ONE of them that was targeted; however, police have been vague with them about that (and pretty much everything else he said). The police haven’t shared who the target was.
MOO: the dad should not have stated that in an interview, tbh. I think that who was targeted was probably obvious to PD from the different wounds and the scene around that person. I have recently been entertaining the idea, that maybe the target was M: we kind of assume that it was not E, by now I also kinda assume that if it were X then she probably would have been attacked while not sleeping next to a male, unless it was really triggered only on that specific night (even with the co-aim of killing the bf this is super risky), and the way PD talked about the stalker on the press conference, made me feel like (=MOO) the target they were thinking about was not K, but that they are looking into that K-had-a-stalker theory in order to rule other stuff out - these other theories are something they kind of have to disprove at court should the defence run amok with these ideas. So no strong feelings and any of them could have been the target, but currently trying to gather ideas about M first and then moving onto the others.
Hoping to clarify something: why are the PD so certain the murders happened between 3 and 4 am?

They’ve said this even before the autopsies, which I know can determine time of death.
MOO: I think they might have some sort of digital/random evidence. Like maybe one of the victims managed to grab their phone and dial "9" (I for one sleep with my phone under my pillow) or maybe a clock was knocked off the nightstand/wall and stopped. Or, as it has been said that the surviving roommate(s) heard something, they might know what time it was that they heard whatever they heard.

I Have A question, It was asked by one of the reporters about Wi Fi and cell phone pings, can someone explain this, I’m pretty tech challenged, I Thought cell phones pinged of cell towers only
IF the phone's owner has selected the ON setting for WiFi in SETTINGS, the phone will search for a WiFi signal. Some people turn that setting to OFF when they are away from home (to save battery and to prevent other users on an unsecured network from potentially gaining access), others just leave it on most or all the time.

The murders occurred in the early AM on November 13. Why weren’t autopsies done until 4 days later, November 17? Why the delay? Has this already been discussed here? So strange!! MOO
when i read the comment, i understood the PODCAST was '4 days later' the 17th, not the autopies.

Edit: sorry i see reports the 4 were completed by the 16th. (as per MSM,, foxnews,Independant on MSN )

Last edited:
It feels like there are a few things still being discussed that when you piece individual parts of the press conference together the answer is already there.

They said in the press conference on Sunday that there was no sign of forced entry. Considering the front door has apparently got a code on it when closed that only really leaves the possibilities for front entry on someone they knew or access by deception. Being the girls were apparently vigilant and the old ‘my car has broken down can I use your phone’ doesn’t work so well in the digital age, I doubt it was this.

Combined with the media photos of LE observing the back of the house and activity there I think it’s almost certain that the slider was used. The back also has many advantages in terms of big windows/doors and elevation that the front doesn’t. If we take the no forced entry at face value then it suggests someone let in or the door was unlocked. I can’t believe being the current weather it would have been open…

I’m also interested by the areas they are looking for CCTV or witnesses in. To me they don’t suggest an exit from the crime scene by foot. Someone better with maps then me can confirm the distances but it seems like driven routes away from the scene. I’m also interested in no asks re dash cam footage…

They had a lot of interest recently in those tire tracks and the car park behind the house. Looking at the photos I don’t believe the tyre skid marks were from a car leaving the drive, they were too straight at the point of already being level with the drive. May be not related but the police were certainly interested in them and someone at some stage for whatever reason pulled away in front of the property in a hurry.

It’s a punt in the dark but a perpetrator who travelled by vehicle, parked in the apartment car park behind and observed via the hill through the big windows at the back of the house would fit the comments and activities we have seen. It’s fall too, very few leaves on the trees. The view would likely have been very good.

I agree they did not clean up there. I believe they wore a tyvek type painting suit that can be purchased for 10$. Put it in his front hoodie pocket or backpack. Went to the scene. Scoped the scene. Put on the suit right before entering. Killed. Walked to the wooded area removed suit put back in pocket or backpack. Left scene.
This would not keep all the blood of him as some would at least transfer. But would allow escape without looking like he just slaughtered 4 people. Also would limit him tracking in/leaving behind fibers, pet hair and what not.
JMO
Reminder If you have not seen any of my post that I have always believed this was a methodical organized killer. Not a random killing done by a homeless deranged drug addict transient type.
I think somehow the clothing footware was removed before leaving the house. Very very strange nothing made it outside

Surely it was a quality knife if you will. Extremely easy to get here and relatively cheap as well. Knives are generally legal except switchblades. What is crazy about the USA though is one can carry a gun at times where knives, saps, and other things cannot be carried.
Not entirely accurate. In many states all knives are legal. In mine, even switchblade are and sold in spring good and survival stores.

This investigation is taking far too long. Either the police have their man and just waiting for the lab results/cell data etc and making sure their case is airtight or they are clueless and the killer is never going to be caught.
I’m trying to look at it this way- LE is clearing persons close to the girls and Ethan, the ‘usual suspects’. Now going through forensic and digital evidence. The exodus of students from town has made that more complicated.
My instinct is leaning towards a serial killer/s. I have a picture in my mind of this person/s, and if there’s cases in other states this may end up bringing justice to many families. IMO.

I agree with everything you said. Just wanted to mention tho that I own a Ka Bar and am an avid backpacker. I carry it sheathed on my hip and use it for multiple things. Mostly slivering wood for kindling, but have also used it to awkwardly clean fish, and then just general cutting prying and what not. The xtra weight on my hip is not noticed. Oh the serated part I have also used as a saw. Its come in very handy. I initially bought it for defense when packing for a week alone thru National Forest. It combined with a multi tool and I dont really need anything else. I have even used it too make a small water path away from my tent in a long downpour lol.
It gets beat to hell but resharpens nice and when oiled is still nice after the abuse. No chips yet.
Since I got it I dont carry my multi axe anymore.

There is a Naval ROTC program at the school. Looks like there is also an Air Force ROTC at WSU just 8 mi west of there.

Do law enforcement officers carry Ka-Bar type knives? I imagine not.

It varies state to state. I'm in Kentucky and many people carry pocket knives as a tool. I don't know the exact lengths of blades and types of knives that are considered weapons. It can get complicated because all my life I have had a gun for self protection and recently got a conceal carry permit for deadly weapons including knives etc. The last Governor and or state Congress passed a law that conceal carry no longer requires a license! The bad thing about that is it dropped the educational requirements for gun safety. Just go buy one and stick it in your pocket. You're good to go as long as you don't have a record. I won't go into our problem with violence other than to say as long as hate filled rhetoric flourishes people will struggle with it and respond in different ways.

Be kind out there.
Born and raised there. There is a blade length i think. Where i live now, the knife law is there isn't one. From what I've been able to find out, you can even carry a sword legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper