ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xana Kernodle's spirit is captured in new photos shared with ABC15 by her friend Elizabeth Scarlett.

Elizabeth spoke about their friendship recently in a vigil held at Boise State University, where she goes to school.

"She is a part of my friend group and can never be replaced. I feel a void in my heart that is truly unable to be filled," said Elizabeth Scarlett, Xana's friend.

Elizabeth spent her first year of college at the University of Idaho, alongside Xana, before transferring.

"Any time we were out, you could see her living her best life. She always had a smile on her face, and she was always dancing," said Elizabeth.

That’s what makes me think it’s someone in those apartments back there, or someone that could physically see into the house. Perhaps they got obsessive over watching the roommates and when K moved away they lost their play thing. Seeing her back in the house made them jump at the opportunity bc clearly they’re deranged. That could explain the targeted comment.

Also, the photo of the patio doors with the chairs shoved against so they can’t be opened, is that the top floor? Is there any chance the perp entered the top floor patio doors and exited the lower patio doors?
The photo of the patio doors is the second floor and that door leads into the kitchen. As to means of entrance, LE paid a lot of attention to those doors and a window around the corner. Not sure about other doors and windows - these were just the areas they seemed interested in on available video feed - they may well of been extremely interested in other windows or doors.

Also if it was unplanned and an attack of rage, the person could have taken a shower and taken some of E’s clothes and a pair of shoes, so when he left there would not be bloody tracks.

I hope the victims families have inventoried their possessions to see if there are any obvious clothing items or possessions missing.
E didn't live in that house, he was just spending the night with X. We don't know if any of his stuff was there beyond what he wore that night.

Typically, in cases like these, you hear reports from the families like, "the police should look at this person or that person." Or, "this guy that she knew was unstable." In this case, NOTHING.

I really don't think it is in anybody's best interests if the families take their concerns or share information with the media. They run the risk of compromising an investigation or causing possibly an innocent person being harmed by vigilante justice.

I’ve ever seen where a women is the target, there is usually a sexual component for why she was targeted- rape/bad break up, etc.

I think the singular 'a woman' is they key difference here. And thrill killer is different. Here is one source:

And yeah, the post I quoted was awfully detailed and made the hair on my neck stand up while reading it. Apparently just a vivid, detailed imagination from a well-intended member who missed their calling as a crime-fiction writer.

I'm going to take this as a compliment :) who knows... maybe I'll start writing!

In some states I belive by their own rules they are "supposed " to release it. I don't know about Idaho. If it has info that can compromise the investigation it can be redacted. We should get at least a transcript. The trend towards LE not releasing ANYTHING the last few years scares me. Especially with Probable Cause Affidavits, Search Warrants and SUPER ESPECIALLY with Arrest Affidavit. These can all be released and should be released even if they have to redact some info.
Here are the Idaho rules.

Even if the media were to try taking it to court, the court–-if they even agreed to even hear the case—has to apply Idaho State Laws. The court merely interprets the law, based on court precedent, but legislation is the “law of the land”.

Public Records Act:
Section 74-102 – Idaho State Legislature
Relevant definitions (see definition for "Investigatory record" and “Writing”):
Section 74-101 – Idaho State Legislature
Exemptions (pretty sure LE can keep the 911 call wrapped up for a while):
Section 74-124 – Idaho State Legislature

MOO: the dad should not have stated that in an interview, tbh. I think that who was targeted was probably obvious to PD from the different wounds and the scene around that person. I have recently been entertaining the idea, that maybe the target was M: we kind of assume that it was not E, by now I also kinda assume that if it were X then she probably would have been attacked while not sleeping next to a male, unless it was really triggered only on that specific night (even with the co-aim of killing the bf this is super risky), and the way PD talked about the stalker on the press conference, made me feel like (=MOO) the target they were thinking about was not K, but that they are looking into that K-had-a-stalker theory in order to rule other stuff out - these other theories are something they kind of have to disprove at court should the defence run amok with these ideas. So no strong feelings and any of them could have been the target, but currently trying to gather ideas about M first and then moving onto the others.
LE stated that the victims were on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Do we know which victims were on which floor? I tend to think that the "target" would have been someone on the third floor, otherwise why would the killer even go up there? Ascending an extra staircase could have put his getaway at risk. IMO, if he didn't know where his intended victim's bedroom was, it stands to reason that he would have started his search on the second floor, killed anyone he found, and only gone up to the third floor if he hadn't found his target yet.

In the press conference, a reporter suggested that the the killer would have gone after his target first. To me, that's counterintuitive. I tend to think that the opposite is true. I think that the killer would have bolted as soon as he killed his intended target. Why stick around? I think that the other people were probably killed while he was looking for his target.

There's even a slight possibility that the killer's target could have been one of the surviving roommates. We know that at least one of the victims had defensive wounds. If the killer was wounded himself while carrying out his attacks, then he might have fled without fulfilling his mission.

Playing the percentages, though, I think that the target was probably the last person killed. At that point, he would have thought, "Mission accomplished!" I don't think that he would have hung around committing extra murders and risked being apprehended or wounded.

They aren’t all single
My kids are single- that is what I was referring to. The singleness of the girls and the guys at the food truck would seem irrelevant.
Every person who glances at members of the opposite sex is not a creep.
My post was in response to those watching the Food Truck video saying all the guys waiting for their food were creeps because they were looking at the girls.
I didn’t get creep vibes from any of the guys at the food truck
The creep would not be on the sidewalk, the creep would be watching them through their windows, following them along the street, watching the Twitch footage to see if they were there, that is a creep
JMO

Sorry if this has already been discussed and it’s not really relevant to the ‘who done it’ discussion but I’m confused about what happened prior to the police being called, is it correct that when the police arrived they had only been told that someone was unconscious? If they had all been stabbed and there was blood everywhere and a horrific scene, how would the other roommates not see that and just think someone was unconscious? And if they saw the whole scene why would they call friends before calling the police? Although I suppose if it was obvious that they were all dead then maybe they’d be scared to call police and so would get friends round first? I’m just confused about why they’d think it was just someone unconscious?

Something that has had me thinking--the investigators keep saying things like "this takes time, we don't want to rush, etc." This has me thinking maybe they are closer than we think but they don't want to ruin things or mess them up from going too quick. Seems to me like they're waiting the suspect out. JMO

Hi there!

I’m a law student and just wanted to clear up some terminology. A crime of passion means it happened in the moment and was not premeditated. It’s a term used to describe that you had no cooling off period and you just “snapped” essentially. In most jurisdictions, it takes a 2nd degree murder down to manslaughter. I’m not sure why this term was ever used because targeted attack by definition means it was not a crime of passion. Rage killing could mean anything, it’s not an actual term used in the legal field. Hope this helps!
I posted this several, several posts ago, but not everyone reads older posts. If no one is charged, you probably need to post this again in another week or so.

This seems to be an all-female house. But we don't know who used to inhabit that extra room on the second floor or if they had been looking for a new roommate yet since the next semester would start in January.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a female suspect. A lot to envy, in that household, imo. I've heard many here mention jealousy, but I'd ramp that up several notches.

Regarding the empty rooms, it might also be possible someone was wanting to move in (without their searching/needing/or wanting another roommate) and was rebuffed "just because." Co-worker, classmate, casual friend?

And I just don't know how that could be blood. That wall right there directly above the foundation is the wall that the kitchen cabinets, stove and dishwasher are on. I just can't figure out how that would make any sense for those drips to be blood and why did it stay red instead of turning blackish.
I thought that at first, but if you study the layout and photos, the area with possible bloodstains is directly underneath the 2nd level left front bedroom where E&X are thought to have been sleeping.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a female suspect. A lot to envy, in that household, imo. I've heard many here mention jealousy, but I'd ramp that up several notches.

Regarding the empty rooms, it might also be possible someone was wanting to move in (without their searching/needing/or wanting another roommate) and was rebuffed "just because." Co-worker, classmate, casual friend?
I believe MOO, that DNA can determine if the suspect was a man or woman (Stephanie Lazarus case).

A lot of great posts here, too many to quote regarding the inside of the house photos and internet, etc. Between all the young women and maybe Ethan, there's probably enough online video and info to provide a great layout. IMO the killer had contact of some sort/familiarity, but did not need to be a resident of Moscow to become enchanted. A quick day drive would allow them to pop in and out. If the OR murder and others are connected, that will be something LE might consider. And I'm sure that LE/FBI are sorting through the digital footprint but between TOR, VPN, prepaid cards, burners, etc., there are many ways to conceal location. If this person were at all tech savvy, it's just not that hard. Might they eventually crack the tech trail, yes, but could it take some time, and could there have been tech aspects to this that would have given the killer access prior, also yes.

For those unfamiliar

I don't think it's likely but have kicked around the idea that the Ex BF J could be with a new girl who got jealous that K M were both calling him late in the night. I can't believe it would string out this long if it was this close of a connection, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmmaV