ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently started to follow this case and since yesterday I'm following this forum trying to pin out some points that for me has been kinda loose.

1. Who made the call to the police? Was this person there all night? Were the other 2 there all night?
2. Reading about the injuries all the victims sustained - how can someone encounter a person like that and call the police to report someone is unconscious? I imagine the scene was gruesome and very bloody since a knife was used.
3. Can't the stalker theory be confirmed by her texts with her friends? Because honestly I had a stalker and I was so scared I talked about the guy with everyone...

just some points I still don't get - so if anyone has anything that has been said already and I did not see please let me know

Could the killer have used two knifes? It would make it more plausible to kill two in their sleep. Or, maybe they were hugging (laying so close to each other) that he could stab them quickly without alerting them.

I was asking questions in another post about how do you prove that you were sleeping if that’s your alibi, wish the killer was smart enough to do it at the time of night that nearly everyone is asleep, but I wonder if they can run a search to see if someone has a smart watch. If someone took their watch off and left their phone at home to go do this, I’m sure that could be picked up. But they would have to know that the person had a smart watch. If you’re forgetting and wearing your smart watch, clearly that is going to show a sky high heart rate that you would never have if you were asleep.

We don't know who did this, we don't know if LE has a POI, but they do.

IF LE asked only for tips regarding K and M's last night OR only E and X's, we'd be all over that, zeroing in on the likely target/s. LE is asking for both. Because they need both? Maybe. Maybe not. I suspect that one set of tips will be given lower priority.

I think they're looking for a specific person and this is an all-call for photos and ideas in which he does or doesn't tangentially appear. They just can't ask for that! Not without revealing the target/s and naming a/the POI.

My theory: there was a watcher. And he's evident, in the background, in some photos and videos (and not in others). LE isn't trying to nail down the movements of Kand M OR E and X IMO. They're trying to nail down the movements of their prime POI. MOO.

The girls, out drinking. Ubering to get food. Ride home. Early morning phone calls. Sleep.

A not atypical night, I might imagine. Eating, drinking, dogcaring, crashing.

What was the murderer doing that day, that night?

Married guy? Divorced? Kids? Visitation schedule? Employed? Not Employed? Banker's hours, shift worker's? What made him free to commit murder? House? Apartment? Homeless? Who might take note of his comings and goings?

Since LE asked for information from that evening/night, maybe it's not a wide net they're casting for any information but rather a focused ask. They believe he was there, IMO.

If so, when did he disappear from photos/videos? Which way did he go? Did CCTV catch a vehicle leaving in tandem with that timing? To track it. Home first. His. Or straight to theirs...

I think they're pulling this together. Arrest, near.

JMO

All MOO. As we know so little of the victims and almost nothing of the crime scene, it is pretty much impossible for me to have any meaningful theories. This is basically what I think so far:
Target: could be any of the 3 girls and different theories kinda have different targets in mind. We seem to know the most about K, some about X and very little about M - but frankly very little about any of them.
Targeting: I still think there is something about either the way they were killed or about the crime scene that makes one of the victims stand out as a target. Kinda interesting aspect to me is why were the others killed, too.
Killer: could be any, but atm my order is 1) someone more peripherally known to them 2) a well-known person to them 3) a stranger. I'd be looking at the people they have contacts with at the frats etc, at classes, at work, at any other place they regularly attend.
Not sus to me: dog not barking, surviving roommates sleeping late, surviving roommates not hearing the attack as an attack, drunken repeated phone calls from a person known for repeated phone calls, the exact words used when mentioning the 911 call, the exact words PD uses when clearing someone, PD not sharing everything with us, no arrests yet
Kinda stands out: disproportionate information about the victims nights, no sexual assault, the relative silence of the respective Greek organizations, the very public social media presence of some of the victims

The MPD page is enough for CNN and others to report on who is ruled out and not. MPD only says: Who is NOT believed to be involved? That is very different from saying "Who is NOT involved." They also say, under Are there any suspects? that "there are no named suspects." Not to violate our Mods here but it's clear that "not believed to be" means without evidence to the contrary they can say none of the listed people are involved, but if/when investigators have/get/confirm enough or the right evidence everything changes, or proceeds (if MPD already believes they know who it is and it seems they do).

Have we ever gotten a time for the sorority dance E went to with his siblings on 11/12? When his parents have spoken one of the things they’ve shared is that they were glad the 3 siblings were all together that day. I’ve wondered if X and E were not together that entire evening and the official law enforcement timeline is only sharing the confirmed times they know they were together. From this Washington post article, E’s parents said that E went as his sister’s date to the sorority dance and E’s brother went with the sister’s roommate. I took that to mean X wasn’t there. Do we know if the dance was during the day or at night? Could it have been during that time between 9 PM- midnight or so? Just my thoughts.

Slain Idaho students leave behind bright memories, big goals

“He was our our daughter Maizie’s date, and his brother was Maizie’s roommates date,” Chapin’s mother, Stacy Chapin, said in an interview Wednesday. The group was attending a dance hosted by Maizie’s sorority. “They all spent their last day together, all dressed up, and had a great time. We’re all thankful that they spent that time together.”
From the photos I have seen posted on FB, it was still daylight at least when the dance started. I would think it unusual to have a sorority formal during the day, but I haven’t been to one in 35 years, soooo…….Perhaps it was a daytime event?

A Ka-bar type knife isn't as likely to injure an attacker as say, a kitchen knife. I wouldn't put much faith into the idea that this killer has injuries. Sounds like whomever did this was fully prepared and that this was not spur of the moment.

My opinion.

From the photos I have seen posted on FB, it was still daylight at least when the dance started. I would think it unusual to have a sorority formal during the day, but I haven’t been to one in 35 years, soooo…….Perhaps it was a daytime event?
Thank you! I agree-I assumed nighttime from my time in college (20 years ago) but had nothing current to support it.

M and H called parents to tell them about E (extended parent interview). From that I deduce M and H were among those "summoned" to the house 11/13 before 911 was called. As far as I can tell it is not known when E returned home from dance or if X was home 9pm waiting for him to return home. Can anyone confirm?

Edited for date.

Last edited:
A Ka-bar type knife isn't as likely to injure an attacker as say, a kitchen knife. I wouldn't put much faith into the idea that this killer has injuries. Sounds like whomever did this was fully prepared and that this was not spur of the moment.

My opinion.
I’m starting to worry about this too, since the knife had a hilt and obviously this person was ready for an attack, of course they could have worn gloves and dark clothing, ugh. Moo

I don’t remember this from the early-days of the investigation. I looked in the media thread and didn’t see it but I could have missed it.

Was there being a struggle prior to the murders ever retracted by LE? If not, this is a huge piece of of the puzzle. But again, I don’t remember this. Story was done 6 days after the incident.

Today sunset in moscow is 4:03, two weeks ago sunset would have been around 4:15.

Jmo

I just recently started to follow this case and since yesterday I'm following this forum trying to pin out some points that for me has been kinda loose.

1. Who made the call to the police? Was this person there all night? Were the other 2 there all night?
2. Reading about the injuries all the victims sustained - how can someone encounter a person like that and call the police to report someone is unconscious? I imagine the scene was gruesome and very bloody since a knife was used.
3. Can't the stalker theory be confirmed by her texts with her friends? Because honestly I had a stalker and I was so scared I talked about the guy with everyone...

just some points I still don't get - so if anyone has anything that has been said already and I did not see please let me know
Please read the the latest Police report at the link below (posted on page 1 of this thread). It will answer most of your questions.

LE on why they are not releasing the killer's profile:

"It will potentially put more fear, more suspicion on a wide variety of people..."

Does it mean that they don't suspect someone close to the victims with a personal grudge that wouldn't be a danger to the public in general?

According to the interview, the police believe that one or more of the three women were targets, so not E.

I saw the whole interview last night. VERY interesting he would not answer simple questions about Murphy.

Also, I had another thought about why kids did not call 911 right away. Might they have had some "stuff" they did not want LE to see, and called friends to remove it.

Even if there is an arrest soon, it will be a long time before we gets answers.

LE on why they are not releasing the killer's profile:

"It will potentially put more fear, more suspicion on a wide variety of people..."

Well, a killer's profile shouldn't really fit a "wide variety of people"!!
It should narrow it down more than that!

Unless they think the killer is a fellow student....and by giving that potential profile out, it could send people into a panic.

MOO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members