ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed blade means no folding, so that leaves out switchblade. Speaking of fixed blade, how about cooking knife, filleting knife-is the killer a chef- work in a kitchen of a restaurant?
Yes, as I understand it, a fixed blade knife (at least one that could be durable enough for this type of repeated attack) would refer not only to a knife that is not a switch blade, but also one that has a tang (metal of the blade) that goes entirely thru the hilt. So, while some cooking knives have blades that do not move, they may be 70/30 metal/wood respectively. A piece of metal fixed into a solid block. But, as I understand it, the “fixed blade” description more pertains to whether or not the metal extends 100% through the length of the instrument, and the hilt would be attached around the handle part. By this definition, a machete would, in my opinion, qualify as a fixed blade (most have full tangs), because the phrase seems to pertain to the inner construction of the weapon and not necessarily the length… which is the only real difference I can think of. Is anyone catchin what I’m throwing here? Like, yes, a cooking knife etc might be a fixed blade, but… if a machete is a fixed blade as well… I just know which one I would put my money on in regards to having the power, efficiency, and inspiring the confidence of the wIelder in committing this level of crime. IMO, of course.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> obviously, we're all filling in the blanks and deciding who did it, or what type of person did it, but maybe the way to approach this is to see the person you think did it, visualize them, and walk it step by step to the end. Putting the facts we know at this time together to fit the crime, we should all be asking and answering:

how did they prepare? how did they get there? what weapon did they bring? who did they kill first? who did they target? how would LE be able to determine that? how did they escape the scene without leaving a bloody trail? how did they get home? how do they feel now? will they do it again? why?

It's like writing a story. Sometimes you know what you want the end to be, but the end alone isn't a story. A guess at who did it isn't enough. As the process evolves, the questions and answers provide lot of information and they can be convincing. whereas a "the butler did it" is not compelling. Just a late night challenge to all you creative analytical types here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as I understand it, a fixed blade knife (at least one that could be durable enough for this type of repeated attack) would refer not only to a knife that is not a switch blade, but also one that has a tang (metal of the blade) that goes entirely thru the hilt. So, while some cooking knives have blades that do not move, they may be 70/30 metal/wood respectively. A piece of metal fixed into a solid block. But, as I understand it, the “fixed blade” description more pertains to whether or not the metal extends 100% through the length of the instrument, and the hilt would be attached around the handle part. By this definition, a machete would, in my opinion, qualify as a fixed blade (most have full tangs), because the phrase seems to pertain to the inner construction of the weapon and not necessarily the length… which is the only real difference I can think of. Is anyone catchin what I’m throwing here? Like, yes, a cooking knife etc might be a fixed blade, but… if a machete is a fixed blade as well… I just know which one I would put my money on in regards to having the power, efficiency, and inspiring the confidence of the wIelder in committing this level of crime. IMO, of course.

so a question or two: my kitchen knives are full tang, metal all the way through. One is a Global knife (stainless, one piece).
would those knives accomplish the same task, or would something like a machete be a better choice regardless?

so a question or two: my kitchen knives are full tang, metal all the way through. One is a Global knife (stainless, one piece).
would those knives accomplish the same task, or would something like a machete be a better choice regardless?
Well, I wouldn’t personally know, but if I speculate… The longer the blade, the heavier the instrument, the further away someone could stay from their target while attacking, and the force of the blows would be… much harder. If a person were to need to choose between a 7 inch blade of a kitchen knife, or a 12/13/14 inch blade of a machete (widely available at home/garden stores)… why would someone go for the smaller, and thus less likely to be lethal blade? If both qualify as “fixed blade,” which is the phrase LE is using… what if they might be referring to a longer, more lethal weapon within that category? If it were one person, I’d be more open to it being a smaller blade… but 4 people, including a rather tall, 20 year old athlete? My theory would be that the offender would pick the biggest, baddest piece possible. I’m not saying it couldn‘t be a kitchen knife, I’m just saying that if bigger weapons might be includable in the weapon category they’ve given us… maybe we should think about it. IMO, of course.

Machete would be harder to transport and conceal. Jmo

Wow. If that's the case, then I feel even more strongly that the 'sloppy' and 'messy' comments were meant to taunt. This would take some serious planning and control to commit that kind of crime and leave nothing.
I find this hard to believe. JMO.

I was VERY disappointed with NewsNations coverage of the case tonight. Banfield is usually on her game and brings new and interesting tid bits but they were so unprepared and clearly had not done enough reading. Multiple times they spoke incorrectly. If you haven’t watched it, don’t bother sadly.

Anything is possible, and I understand that the suspension of sororities is a big deal, but I would hope the sorority members would know that murder -- even of a whistleblower -- is a much bigger deal. Also, many of us think the murders were committed by a guy.

While this is an interesting theory, my guess is that the murders were more personal and involved envy towards, or obsession with, a sorority member or members. I hope we find out soon and that the killer or killers are brought to justice.

JMO

Supposedly someone is a whistle-blower and the sorority is suspended. How common
would it be to offer the whistle-blower to leave the sorority? Has it been practiced? It would seem to me that sorority members have a say in the matter, and leaving the sorority for the whistle-blower might mean severing social contacts that would otherwise extend for years, might help with career, etc. It would seem to be the first reasonable step as opposed to cruelly killing four people, and surely, seriously risking own freedom and even, life.

Now, if the accused had been asked to leave the college, or if the accusation of the frat member was made by a woman, the consequences could be potentially more severe, damning and long-lasting. Or maybe the person was allowed to stay, but is on academic probation and his future now looks bleak, it would be a different situation. JMHO.

Perhaps the killer used chloroform to subdue victims?
I think it's logical that you're questioning whether some drug was used beforehand to relax the victims into a deeper sleep. Awaiting toxicology results. Pathologist Dr. Michael Baden said they'd test for date rape drugs, etc., AFAIK, Chloroform is hard to detect in a toxicology test.

MOO, but the killer would have to be very careful if they used Chloroform not to knock themselves out. (wear a gas mask?) Are you thinking maybe the killer held a rag over all four victims before stabbing them? I just don't think so. It would take even more planning. (Warning-- GRAPHIC-- I hate to say this, but the victims were in sleep mode and not expecting an attack, so a quick slice to the throat, or an aimed stab, is how it probably went down quickly.)

I try to avoid spending too much time on coming up with endless theories. It's really a horrible image to imagine, and we are all experiencing some amount of horror daily wondering how this could've happened, and waiting for an arrest. It's impossible to avoid thinking about it, but be kind to yourselves and don't feed your mind too many gory images. Prayers.

Can someone sum up the Greek angle as a generalized theory, without violating TOS?

not a general theory because there are lots of categories and not uncommon either

it is. and I would have been one of those people devastated at a dent in my social life. but even I, superficial as I was, desperately in need of a good mixer and a cute date for a day, I might have shied away from ruining my entire life by brutally murdering four people in cold blood. I mean, like that's going to help a social life. I make light, but without something far more twisted than that, this seems a bit extreme.
I keep thinking about what LE said something like “ be vigilant for someone who was somewhere where they shouldn’t be “ Could a registered sex offender have shown up at a sorority/fraternity party? Sorry….this is a stretch…I need some sleep

I was going back watching some media from early on in the investigation and I’m having trouble with something.

In the interview with the coroner (linked below), she is asked about approximate time of death (specifically hours vs. a day, etc.) and she replies that she doesn’t know. We know she arrived on scene a little after 5pm that day and that the autopsy was done on the 17th, which would have been the following Tuesday I believe.

Why, when there are four people found stabbed to death, was a temperature check on organs not done? Usually an ME would be called to a scene like this to establish some kind of approximate time of death, even if they would not be the person to perform the autopsy.

I find this really quite odd and almost negligent in this case? The only reason I can find for this not having been done is that they know exactly when it happened, which I don’t believe is the case. MOO

Thoughts?

I keep thinking about what LE said something like “ be vigilant for someone who was somewhere where they shouldn’t be “ Could a registered sex offender have shown up at a sorority/fraternity party? Sorry….this is a stretch…I need some sleep
If a person were in a place they ought not be that could be a multitude of situations… wrong toilet, in staff area and not staff, in a road they wouldn’t normally frequent .. it could be spotted by a member of the public or a suspicious spouse eg “why were you at the bar last Fri ???”
I for one, once asked my partner what was the address typed in the car gps cos I couldn’t understand why he’d been to that suburb… he answered ( truthfully )he’d been to collect a Facebook marketplace purchase . This kinda stuff I guess

I was going back watching some media from early on in the investigation and I’m having trouble with something.

In the interview with the coroner (linked below), she is asked about approximate time of death (specifically hours vs. a day, etc.) and she replies that she doesn’t know. We know she arrived on scene a little after 5pm that day and that the autopsy was done on the 17th, which would have been the following Tuesday I believe.

Why, when there are four people found stabbed to death, was a temperature check on organs not done? Usually an ME would be called to a scene like this to establish some kind of approximate time of death, even if they would not be the person to perform the autopsy.

I find this really quite odd and almost negligent in this case? The only reason I can find for this not having been done is that they know exactly when it happened, which I don’t believe is the case. MOO

Thoughts?

Maybe the investigators felt that too much time had gone by between the actual deaths and the reporting of the crime, or the investigators are going by assumptions

If a person were in a place they ought not be that could be a multitude of situations… wrong toilet, in staff area and not staff, in a road they wouldn’t normally frequent .. it could be spotted by a member of the public or a suspicious spouse eg “why were you at the bar last Fri ???”
I for one, once asked my partner what was the address typed in the car gps cos I couldn’t understand why he’d been to that suburb… he answered ( truthfully )he’d been to collect a Facebook marketplace purchase . This kinda stuff I guess
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member