ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To add some more antecdotal context to the Greek life aspect of all this, I was in a fraternity at what seems to be a similar school and graduated in 2018. There were tons of rules regarding what we could and could t do socially: every official party had to be registered with the school, no kegs were allowed at parties, we were supposed to be carding everyone and only serving alcohol to those over 21, etc. My fraternity was put on probation a multitude of times and the way the school found out about infractions was almost always public social media posts. In example, a picture with a keg next to our fraternity letters. What I’m getting at is that I don’t totally buy the whistleblowing theory. I doubt their sororities were put on probation for anything particularly scandalous. Could be something as simple as one of the girls getting alcohol poisoning at a registered function and having to go to the hospital. All of this is imo, of course.
I agree and think it is a stretch to think this could be a motive!

My fraternity was put on probation a multitude of times and the way the school found out about infractions was almost always public social media posts. I doubt their sororities were put on probation for anything particularly scandalous.
Thanks for the insight into Greek life and the information that probations could be fairly routine and were not "show stoppers" in regards to the life of the sorority or fraternity.

Rather, life went on and the expectations of members were still fulfilled. Thus, far less chance of extreme emotions being generated by discipline of the routine sort.

Your information would seem to reduce the odds of a Greek based motive from say, "remote" to say, "exceedingly remote".

I am still a little baffled (and this may be a regional thing) at the lack of security cameras in the neighborhood.

I can see how a house full of young students would not necessarily be security obsessed but what about the neighbors? I live in the East Coast (Suburban Maryland) in a pretty low crime affluent suburb and every single house in my neighborhood has a ring or similar security system. It wasn't that common a few years ago but now it is pretty much everybody. We have an alarm system, 8 cameras and 4 smart smoke detectors and movement sensors that could prevent a burglary. Our house went thru an electrical fire, and we had to temporarily move to a condo and same. Even condo renters had ring cameras (I believe to prevent packages being stolen since most people worked during the day). We had one camera inside the condo because we travel a lot, and the cat sitter would come and also to document in case someone would break in. And smart locks. We have a lock now that logs when the door is open and closed and who comes to the house etc. I guess I am ranting and this maybe an East coast thing, but I am still baffled at the lack of footage from the other houses.

I thought it was Kaylee's Dad who said that about the slider? There are pictures of evidence stickers on that back sliding door thoug

X’s bedroom is so far out of the way, especially if the killer entered through the kitchen sliders. There has to be evidence in the living room because the killer would have to cross through it and go down a hall to find the bedroom (passing right by the staircase to the lower level). If X slept in the bedroom by the stairs to the third floor, it would make more sense to me. But her bedroom was on the complete opposite of the house.

I am still a little baffled (and this may be a regional thing) at the lack of security cameras in the neighborhood.

I can see how a house full of young students would not necessarily be security obsessed but what about the neighbors? I live in the East Coast (Suburban Maryland) in a pretty low crime affluent suburb and every single house in my neighborhood has a ring or similar security system. It wasn't that common a few years ago but now it is pretty much everybody. We have an alarm system, 8 cameras and 4 smart smoke detectors and movement sensors that could prevent a burglary. Our house went thru an electrical fire, and we had to temporarily move to a condo and same. Even condo renters had ring cameras (I believe to prevent packages being stolen since most people worked during the day). We had one camera inside the condo because we travel a lot, and the cat sitter would come and also to document in case someone would break in. And smart locks. We have a lock now that logs when the door is open and closed and who comes to the house etc. I guess I am ranting and this maybe an East coast thing, but I am still baffled at the lack of footage from the other houses.

I mentioned this yesterday, as well. Especially in the local "College" communities, there are cameras everywhere. The rental agencies all have their student housing armed with surveillance (outside, not inside), for liability purposes.

But, as you said, it's probably a regional thing. I did see a post yesterday (maybe it was Entin?) who said that a lot of cameras have popped up on houses in the last week, or so.

Reminder, tonight (Tuesday, 5:30pm, University of Idaho) is a candlelight vigil for the victims with everyone in the community invited to attend.

The chances the killer attends the vigil is very high. There are countless examples. He must be emboldened by the now worldwide attention to this case, keeping the murders at the forefront of his mind, if not a sick feeling of "pride" of what he did. It's absolutely depraved but I would expect no less from him. IMO/MOO

Theoretical Motive:
What if one of the girls was threatening a young man who may have done something unwanted to her. Maybe he knew that he had to kill her to save his reputation. Maybe he is wealthy or has a powerful family. But if he killed just her then he may be a suspect. So he kills them all or hires someone. Would the university release any Title IX information regarding the victims or other students?

Reminder, tonight (Tuesday, 5:30pm, University of Idaho) is a candlelight vigil for the victims with everyone in the community invited to attend.

The chances the killer attends the vigil is very high. There are countless examples. He must be emboldened by the now worldwide attention to this case, keeping the murders at the forefront of his mind, if not a sick feeling of "pride" of what he did. It's absolutely depraved but I would expect no less from him. IMO/MOO

Conversely, it could be one of those "what is missing" opportunities, as well. Somebody notices that a person who may have known the victims, or been close to them, is a no-show at the vigil. It may give someone pause to say, "Wonder why so-and-so didn't go?"

it means anything BUT with both probation for health and safety violations maybe their became the place to be.
Agree it is a big deal to be on probation and usually comes with loss of privileges.

If their sororities were on probation for that semester, it could be the girls held sorority functions or just more gatherings in general at their house since having any type of alcohol or official function in their sorority house would absolutely be prohibited if on probation.

They likely lost the ability to have “official” parties with frats as well, so anything like that would have to take place either informally at the frat, a bar, or informally at the girl’s (or other sorority members) house.

Just providing some background on what being on probation would likely mean (source: I was in a sorority at a large university)
Good post on the background of sororities. However, Xana and Maddie had dropped out of their sororities.

Conversely, it could be one of those "what is missing" opportunities, as well. Somebody notices that a person who may have known the victims, or been close to them, is a no-show at the vigil. It may give someone pause to say, "Wonder why so-and-so didn't go?"
Right, I hear you. If I was one of the people targeted by rabid online speculation, I don't think I would attend. It becomes damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Depending on the target location, could a single stab wound kill someone? If the killer was able to take the majority of them out on the first stab then he likely wouldn’t have left much of his own DNA behind.

I don’t think he was some experienced killer. I think it was more that he was well armed and suited (the knife style, gloves, etc.) and got lucky (lack of ring cameras, at night, targets in a state of sleep, etc.). At least that’s where I’m at right now with the case.

/ JMO

This murderer knew the lay of the land. No way was this a stranger going into an unknown situation to commit this number of murders. At least one of the victims knew this murderer. Perhaps, all of the victims knew or were an acquaintance. The odds of a stranger breaking in to soley commit murder is slim to none. I

This murderer knew the lay of the land. No way was this a stranger going into an unknown situation to commit this number of murders. At least one of the victims knew this murderer. Perhaps, all of the victims knew or were an acquaintance. The odds of a stranger breaking in to soley commit murder is slim to none. Imo
I agree. I reckon they watched the house regularly somehow too. Imp

LE has said the call was made from inside the residence. And I haven't heard them say that E wasn't in bed.
LE definitely hasn’t said that he wasn’t in bed, but looking at the layout of the house and thinking about the fact that the two roommates downstairs started to walk upstair, saw someone passed out but not necessarily obviously dead and called friends over, it makes sense that he would be laying outside of the bedroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMsleuth1027