ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to catch up on the threads but it has been extremely difficult. I have wondered if so many people being in the house for the last few months and maybe even years, that hidden cameras might have been in operation. That would explain a lot of the time frame and unknown arrivals after everyone was in asleep. Perhaps this would be a student to play voyeur or a maintenance worker of sorts that was stalking one of the girls to know when she was home or who she was with. The cameras are only pinpoints well hidden in some random places and can be synced with a phone or PC. In moo.
that's my theory, and he placed them.

Reposting this partial transcript that I posted earlier, now that I can back up with the link.

From the Fox Interview discussion about if it was targeted:

Steve: “I’ll cut to the case, their means of death don’t match”

Jones: Maddie’s and Kaylee’s cause of death does not match based on the autopsy report?

Steve: “They don’t match”

Jone’s: Would it indicate…

Steve: “He doesn’t have to go up the steps. Let’s stop playing games guys. I need somebody to step up and be an alpha; be somebody to be a leader. Don’t make me do it. I don’t want to do it. He doesn’t have to go up those steps. Their points of damage don’t match. I’m just going to say it. It wasn’t leaked to me. I earned that. I paid for that funeral. I paid for that. It’s my right. They ain’t taken that from me.”

Kaylee Goncalves' parents hunt for answers 3 weeks after college student slayings
Does this mean that the funeral director or one of his employees discussed the wounds with Steve...maybe not just of his daughter, but of the other victims, too. Also, the placement of the wounds.

I don't know exactly what he is hinting at here. One victim had more wounds?

He says "They don't match." Not to be too graphic, but maybe some were stab wounds and others were slash wounds?

I want the family to get an attorney, a spokesperson, an advocate, to help them navigate this. I understand their pain and they know things. They are on the outside and no one is telling them anything. They cannot understand that with everyone leaving their DNA, and digital fingerprints everywhere, that we are 3 weeks out and LE has no POIs, keeps clearing people and still seem no closer to finding the killer of these kids. He is being asked to be silent and he just doesn’t understand what difference what he says makes. His kid is in an urn next to her best friend and he is so angry.
This. So completely heartbreaking.

I think he was indicating K and/or M were the target. If E and X were the targets, the suspect would have slipped in, killed them and left, as he left the downstairs roommates alone. The ONLY reason to go up those steps was to kill K & M. E and X could very well have been stabbed because they were in the way. Maybe K and M had a much more elaborate death.
This is starting to make more sense to me as opposed to my initial belief. Particularly if K+M’s door was locked and the encounter with E/X was unplanned.

His repetition of saying he didn’t have to go upstairs is still giving me fits, however.

Anyone here can call me out, I will not be offended, but there is one family here that is talking more, saying more, and more ticked off than the rest… to me, their daughter was the target and they want justice… right? Like, it’s not rocket science?
Yes or.. Someone else was and they're angry the killer went upstairs and killed their daughter. It's such an either or thing IMO. I think the Goncalves' have more dominant personalities to the other familes too. As did Kaylee. They're naturally more outspoken people.

full interview

The choice to conduct the interview in front of the police station in Moscow is interesting.

I do think he’s implying he believes either K or M, not both, were targeted, based on differing severity and/or presentation of their injuries. His reference to having this information being linked to paying for the funeral might indicate he was privy to the conditions of K&M’s bodies due to making arrangements for the funeral. I believe it was a joint funeral, IIRC. Perhaps one victim sustained far more damage than the other, or one showed some type of sadistic injuries, or a combination of both.

I don’t believe he’d be privy to that type of information about X and E, however.

could this potentially mean either M or K actually had a different cause of death from the others - for example blunt force trauma to the head? Then the knife work was saved for the possible "target" & remaining two -- with the target individual sustaining far more "attention" than others.
JMO but many pages ago mentioned that I felt that M or K were the target. Killer goes upstairs going after one of them specifically but finds both of them in the same bed. What was suppose to be be a quiet kill became a loud one. Noise wakes Ethan and Xana as killer comes down the steps E confronts him and is killed Xana goes running back in her room and gets killed there. E and X were killed with many defensive wounds. Possible either K or M had defensive wounds also. No doubt in my mind... one of the girls did not have any defensive wounds.

This situation happened almost 20 years ago. My husband and I (we had a two-year-old son at the time) hosted an informal dinner and movie night. Friends had a new co-worker and asked if he could come along. Sure, we said! The new friend showed up with several DVDs of the horror genre. One was called Hostel. The film follows a group of American tourists. They end up in Slovakia where they are eventually taken one by one by an organization that allows people to torture and kill others. Halfway into the movie we vetoed turning it off. It was over-the-top revolting, sickening, and the things nightmares are made of. The man who brought the horror collection DVDs considered himself an expert in horror genre. In our break of trying to agree on a new movie, this new person asked if any of us had ever thought of killing someone. I asked if he meant, 'being so mad at someone you rattle off, Oh, I could just kill her!" Just a saying with no malice! No, he said. Actually killing someone to watch them die. Needless to say, we called it a night. The new friend-coworker didn't stay at that company for more than 6 weeks. My husband and I have talked a lot about this person in the past 3 weeks. Not saying he is the perp, but there are unhinged persons walking amongst us!

Wow. He must have made a great impression on your friends for them to invite him.

JMO but many pages ago mentioned that I felt that M or K were the target. Killer goes upstairs going after one of them specifically but finds both of them in the same bed. What was suppose to be be a quiet kill became a loud one. Noise wakes Ethan and Xana as killer comes down the steps E confronts him and is killed Xana goes running back in her room and gets killed there. E and X were killed with many defensive wounds. Possible either K or M had defensive wounds also. No doubt in my mind... one of the girls did not have any defensive wounds.
Pretty much my guess as well.
Thanks for posting here @redrunner02 .

I wonder when the parents will be allowed inside their daughters' rooms to collect their belongings? Perhaps they may be able to discern if there is anything missing. This may help the cops to learn if any souvenirs were taken by the perp, as many serial killers have done.

Which in my view should have been one of the first things investigators did after removal of the bodies. But they fell into the typical "crime of passion" and "specifically targeted" trap though, so they probably felt there was no need for any of that.

Edit: My post was edited because I didn't list a source for the sadly low clearance rates of murders in the US since 1965. A bit over 60% in 1965 compared to only a bit over 50% today. My post said that part of the reason that such rates are lower are likely because, even though we have more technology and criminology research to clear homicides nowadays, PERSONNEL still use antiquated methods like making assumptions or having prejudices about murders (e.g. "crime of passion") and investigating them based on their confirmation biases. The age-old 'keeping information close to the vest' is outdated too, because in today's electronic 'crowd sourcing', data mining world, it is akin to Andy Griffith using an operator to make a phone call.

Mod, my apologies. Here is the data source:

My opinion.

Last edited:
Personal Space. Tenants have a right to privacy in their home. Landlords cannot use cameras to track a tenant's personal life. Pointing cameras at a tenant's private space can be a breach of a tenant's quiet enjoyment or tenant harassment.

I don’t think she meant can they legally be placed. Surely you’ve heard of all the airbnb horror stories of cameras? They hide in smoke detectors, usb plugs, outlets, teddy bears.

Does this mean that the funeral director or one of his employees discussed the wounds with Steve...maybe not just of his daughter, but of the other victims, too. Also, the placement of the wounds.

I don't know exactly what he is hinting at here. One victim had more wounds?

He says "They don't match." Not to be too graphic, but maybe some were stab wounds and others were slash wounds?
Torso wounds versus upper body wounds perhaps.

From the Fox Interview discussion about if it was targeted:

Steve: “I’ll cut to the case, their means of death don’t match”

Jones: Maddie’s and Kaylee’s cause of death does not match based on the autopsy report?

Steve: “They don’t match”

Jone’s: Would it indicate…

Steve: “He doesn’t have to go up the steps. Let’s stop playing games guys. I need somebody to step up and be an alpha; be somebody to be a leader. Don’t make me do it. I don’t want to do it. He doesn’t have to go up those steps. Their points of damage don’t match. I’m just going to say it. It wasn’t leaked to me. I earned that. I paid for that funeral. I paid for that. It’s my right. They ain’t taken that from me.”

No link yet. Will post when available.
Imo. He means manner of death and he got info from the funeral home. Imo.

Eta: that LE couldn't keep that info from him.

Wow. He must have made a great impression on your friends for them to invite him.
He was new to our town and the small company he was working at with our friends. It was an invitation out of kindness. My point is, you never know what nefarious thoughts some people have about how they see the world.

Last edited:
The choice to conduct the interview in front of the police station in Moscow is interesting.

I do think he’s implying he believes either K or M, not both, were targeted, based on differing severity and/or presentation of their injuries. His reference to having this information being linked to paying for the funeral might indicate he was privy to the conditions of K&M’s bodies due to making arrangements for the funeral. I believe it was a joint funeral, IIRC. Perhaps one victim sustained far more damage than the other, or one showed some type of sadistic injuries, or a combination of both.

I don’t believe he’d be privy to that type of information about X and E, however.
BBM. Yes indeed. I thought so too. To mount more pressure. IMO.

Imo. He means manner of death and he got info from the funeral home. Imo.

Eta: that LE couldn't keep that info from him.
I don’t doubt he saw his baby. Sob.

I don’t know if he saw M.

I have no idea if he saw X & E, but I doubt it.

Is he saying the ME & coroner falsified the official findings? Yikes.

Anyone here can call me out, I will not be offended, but there is one family here that is talking more, saying more, and more ticked off than the rest… to me, their daughter was the target and they want justice… right? Like, it’s not rocket science?

I feel it's the other way around. Kaylee wasn't the target. That's why they're talking and saying more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper