ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO

If the killer was in that house before, maybe during one of the parties, I wonder why he decided to go on his murder spree there in the first place? Why destroy the place that’s known for students, including himself, having good times there. Unless he was kicked out and banned from parties there. Thus leading to his/her revenge on the place and its occupants. Salt grain theory.
I think it was someone they knew and that last picture K posted saying “so lucky to have these people in my life everyday” or something like that, pushed the COWARD over the edge.

This is just the most horrific tragedy! It is so sad and distressing that the lives of four good friends and housemates have been brutally snuffed out in the prime of their lives for no apparent reason, and they're forever lost to their loved ones!

Although there seems to be a lot of speculation on the Internet and Social Media about potential cyberstalking/stalking of any one of the victims through their Social Media accounts, there are other technologies out there that allow people to follow or stalk their victims in real time.

See the article at the link below about a recent lawsuit filed against Apple:

"Two women say in a lawsuit against tech giant Apple that the company’s AirTag tracking device “has become the weapon of choice of stalkers and abusers” because of its low price.

An AirTag, which retails for $29, can be attached to a person’s belongings for tracking through the “Find My” application in Apple devices, using Bluetooth technology
."

Women's Lawsuit Alleges Apple's AirTag Is 'Weapon Of Choice Of Stalkers'

The point being, that in this case, even if the victims' Social Media accounts or cell phones were not used to cyberstalk or stalk them (if they were, which LE has not specified), there are discreet, low cost tracking devices available to do just this undetected, which could have easily been planted on their belongings or their vehicles! ...{{{Shiver}}}...

With regard to the front door being open the next morning, some facts:
  • Perpetrators tend to exit a crime scene the same way that they came in (they were successful the first time so they use the entry-point again).
  • Law enforcement does not believe the house was forcibly entered
  • LE also believes this was a "targeted" killing.
    • Regardless of how broad the term "targeted" is in this context, it does mean they don't believe this was a random guy on the street jiggling on door handles.
To me, this means that the murderer likely either had knowledge that the door would be open or had a key. In either case, it is more likely that the killer knew one or more of the roomates, and potentially more than as just an acquaintance. This doesn't mean he (or, however unlikely, she) didn't use a different entrance and exit, or didn't simply observe through "stalking" behavior that the door tended to be unlocked, etc., etc. but I do think it points to someone that had been in the house several times before, likely at night, and possibly even overnight, as the more probable scenario.

Last edited:
They have four victims. Just getting their cell phone data released is four warrants. I don't think 50 is that high.
And if LE is interviewing frat brothers or people who were at the fraternity party…and I don’t know if they are…I’m assuming that would be a bunch more.

IMO if KG was the target, it could've been someone from her hometown who committed the murders there in order to throw the suspicion away from them.

I'm inclined to refute that simply by saying the path to that house consists of cameras that will have the perp on video but LE has been pretty tight lipped about what evidence they have so, it's possible. All of this is speculation and the possibilities are countless.

I’m still curious on the Taylor Ave. / Band Field call officers responded to because of its proximity in time and location to when the coroner spoke to the estimated time of death. I wonder what prompted the caller in essence on a weekend night regarding these specified individuals. Did the caller hear or see something else, officers responded to the general vicinity, and just happened to stumble upon the incident at Band Field? “Alcohol Offense” was the final outcome on the report, I believe. Similar to “Noise Complaint” on others.

Last edited:
Well said and my sentiments exactly. My husband thinks the opposite though, that the victims knew the killer(s) in some capacity. I am also thinking E and X could have trekked to WA to Jack in the Box and caught the attention of the perpetrator(s), who followed the back to ID as their chosen victims. Much like the case with Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom in Knoxville TN in 2007. They were also college students, wrong place wrong time and I will never, ever forget them and what they went through.

Any situation is possible (killer known well, killer peripheral, killer finds them on SM, killer finds them some other way).

I'm leaning toward the camp your husband is in (partly due to the lack of an apparent sexual motivation). But we just do not know enough. Wrong place/wrong time is still a possibility.

I think it was someone they knew and that last picture K posted saying “so lucky to have these people in my life everyday” or something like that, pushed the COWARD over the edge.
Part of me has always wondered who took that photo and if it was an “issue” for them that they were left out? But could be they had some random person take it.

What are the chances the killer murdered the other three in order to disguise their motive? We assume one person was the intended target. What if the other three were killed so that the murder of only one person would not point an immediate finger at someone who may have had a close connection with one of the victims?

Also, could the killer have deliberately inflicted more severe injuries on a person who was not their primary target for the same purpose of disguising the motive?

True crime books over the years have exposed all the methods and clues law enforcement use to find suspects. Who is to say that the killer is not aware of these techniques and deliberately worked to subvert them?

Ok, lack of sexual motivation......I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone killing 4 people without so much as raising an alarm. Let alone trying to perform some sexual act with one (or more) of them! I mean, come on! And who knows if there really was a sexual component to the killing that hasn't been released yet. Not necessarily an act performed but some sort of obvious intentional wound to a certain area. IMO

Last edited:
I have posted a couple of my theories, which are not similar to yours (I think it's someone local, from outer circles) , but interesting perspective and I wanted to comment on it to dig a bit further.

What do you make of LE saying the crime scene was "sloppy", and that K's wounds were worse than the others? I think there could be various reasons for those aspects of it, some which fit in your theory and some which don't.
Unsub knows they don't have his DNA or fingerprints and doesn't care if they get them. OR LE may have said it was sloppy because they are trying to insult him to draw him out because it actually was not sloppy.
Where was he staying while there - was he only there for a few hours and drove away, or staying in a local hotel for a few nights? If that's a suspicion, I wonder if LE have checked hotel records for nights around that time. Or AirBNB.
I don't think he would stay in Moscow. He may have stayed in a vehicle which is probably stolen in an unrelated crime, but out of town. This unsub knows how to stay under the radar.
We don't know when the surviving roommates would have came home (as far as I'm aware), so how do we know he didn't know more people were in there?
The survivors came home around 1:15am and went to bed. I think he didn't show up until around 2:30 or 3am or so. So he was looking at a house that was lit up on floors 2 and 3 from the back but no one was in there as far as he knew until the 4 victims returned to the house. Then he waited for them to go to sleep and took his opportunity.
Do you think LE would look at this angle? It seems a lot of what they are asking the public is for circumstantial information like where they were beforehand, who they were with, what interactions, photos/video, etc. That doesn't really point to me that this was a random person they had no interaction with ever.
You've probably heard of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon that says everyone is 6 degrees from everyone else on the planet. LE always investigates the first degree from the victims first because in the majority of murders the killer will be in that first degree. The further they get from the first degree the more difficult the crime is to solve because more and more people are involved. Obviously LE is struggling here or they would already have a suspect. They are running out of the 1st degree people. Simultaneously with investigating the victim's 1st degree, they look at known criminals - I think they hoped they would have a DNA match or something from Codis or NCIC but didn't get that. So this is much more complex and will involve looking at a lot more people and their contacts. I'm not saying the crime was random, however. I believe the house and occupants were targeted.
But appreciate your opinion - I think it's important that this is looked from all angles. I don't follow true crime or the like very closely so I'd also be curious if there are more offenders that fit this sort of bill rather than knowing the victims or targeting them specifically because of certain characteristics.

MOO
Unfortunately, there are and have been many offenders who fit this pattern. The more intelligent they are, the less likely they are to get caught. The dumber ones get identified and caught quickly.

It's bonkers to me that anyone would watch the live video stream of a food truck, let alone 174 viewers! But alas my 7-year-old daughter loves watching YT videos of people shopping for and unwrapping toys, so I digress...

While we're on the topic of the Twitch video, can anyone confirm that the video clip we've all seen was brought to the media by K's sister? Is that fact? The reason I ask is because it's a pretty good piece of evidence when trying to piece together K and M's whereabouts and timeline on the night of the murders. MOO is that LE would have found the video on their own (possibly already did?), and not released it to the public or mentioned it as part of their investigation. What I'm getting at is that it's possible and even likely that LE have other videos and media from various sources from that night and other occasions that are just as much, and maybe even more likely to contain relevant info to solving the case. MOO is that it's not skilled sleuthing to use the one single video we're privy to as a police line-up to pick out a perpetrator of this crime. It's also MOO that because it was K's sister (I think?) who quickly found the Twitch video, it might not be savvy to criticize certain LE on the investigation team for being young and inexperienced. K's sister is both young and inexperienced with murder investigation and found an important piece of relevant media very quickly. I certainly understand anyone under emotional duress being critical though under these circumstances. My heart goes out 100%
I like live streams. It’s like sitting on the porch on a busy street. Plenty to see. If my kid frequented the Grub Truck I might occasionally tune in.

I am making an assumption that there is plenty of footage from inside the bar that M&K were at that night.

A 2016 or 2017 at the very cheapest is about $40,000 for the lowest model, with high miles (~100,000), and only in average condition. The price, depending on the trim level, mileage, and condition can go over $60,000.
There are many different models of the RR these days and hers was not the expensive one. Very inexpensive and has zero relevance, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust