ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know any data on how often a mass murder perp returns to the scene of the crime?
Dr John Matthias says that because mass murderers often kill themselves, it's hard to quantify.
( The research on mass murderers is usually done via interview after imprisonment if they're willing. Sometimes they give full disclosure of their habits & motivations but there's often just not enough data to know what % are returners, depends on size of statistical sample)

https://twitter.com/Angenette5

Just spoke to Aaron Snell, of Idaho State Police, about #MoscowHomicides investigation. 1) They still don't know if it was the house or the people that were targeted. 2) The cars removed were processed as part of the original search warrant, Snell says.

Snell will not say whether they believe the killer entered through the sliding glass door on the second floor of the rear of the house or the front door. He said the picture was becoming more clear of what happened that night Still going through interview.

They've also received more information through interviews about Xana and Ethan's whereabout that night but wouldn't elaborate. More tidbits in a bit from the interview.

Whoah 50?? That seems like LOTS. Does anyone know if this is the norm for a murder? I imagine with technology/devices/privacy may need many OR multiple people involved? But this is great news overall.

In the murder depicted in the (very good) podcast called To Live and Die in LA, it was Google's native tracking system that ended up finding the perp. The perp had used Google maps, but then put his phone on airplane mode or something thinking he would not be tracked, and he closed the map app. But apparently Google tracks a person anyway.

They needed two search warrants just for the Google info off of one phone, IIRC. A lot of apps send location data, with many people (especially college students) clicking yes on "share location?" for a bunch of different apps. This should provide a picture of where the victims (and others who are cooperating) were that night and at what times.

One would obviously want the phone records and any iCloud message storage (and not just for the victims, but for others as well). I am guessing the data from several local cell towers is already arriving and will give an idea of who was in the area (if the perp had a phone with them). It would be odd, too, if someone who usually carried their phone everywhere did not do so that night.

It's bonkers to me that anyone would watch the live video stream of a food truck, let alone 174 viewers! But alas my 7-year-old daughter loves watching YT videos of people shopping for and unwrapping toys, so I digress...

While we're on the topic of the Twitch video, can anyone confirm that the video clip we've all seen was brought to the media by K's sister? Is that fact? The reason I ask is because it's a pretty good piece of evidence when trying to piece together K and M's whereabouts and timeline on the night of the murders. MOO is that LE would have found the video on their own (possibly already did?), and not released it to the public or mentioned it as part of their investigation. What I'm getting at is that it's possible and even likely that LE have other videos and media from various sources from that night and other occasions that are just as much, and maybe even more likely to contain relevant info to solving the case. MOO is that it's not skilled sleuthing to use the one single video we're privy to as a police line-up to pick out a perpetrator of this crime. It's also MOO that because it was K's sister (I think?) who quickly found the Twitch video, it might not be savvy to criticize certain LE on the investigation team for being young and inexperienced. K's sister is both young and inexperienced with murder investigation and found an important piece of relevant media very quickly. I certainly understand anyone under emotional duress being critical though under these circumstances. My heart goes out 100%
So many individuals love to people watch. I've done it at Underground Atlanta, good times. People are amusing characters. lol

Ok, lack of sexual motivation......I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone killing 4 people without so much as raising an alarm. Let alone trying to perform some sexual act with one (or more) of them! I mean, come on! And who knows if there really was a sexual component to the killing that hasn't been released yet. Not necessarily an act performed but some sort of obvious intentional wound to a certain area. IMO
It could be as simple as Piquerism

What are the chances the killer murdered the other three in order to disguise their motive? We assume one person was the intended target. What if the other three were killed so that the murder of only one person would not point an immediate finger at someone who may have had a close connection with one of the victims?

Also, could the killer have deliberately inflicted more severe injuries on a person who was not their primary target for the same purpose of disguising the motive?

True crime books over the years have exposed all the methods and clues law enforcement use to find suspects. Who is to say that the killer is not aware of these techniques and deliberately worked to subvert them?

You might be giving this guy more credit than he deserves. He did stab in a way that lead investigators to conclude a large,fixed blade k-bar style knife.

BBM. I agree with you there. Just want to add: especially not M's naked body because she was not even his daughter.
Disagree. He’d only have to see the autopsy report. That details every single injury including size, depth and position of stab wounds. So, if one victim had only 3 stab wounds and another had 15, he could easily say one was more brutal.

In addition, she was starting a high paying position in February, and with that letter from her employer, she would be eligible for a car loan.
Is there a link for info about the new job? Ive read everything from internship to high paying position here.

So many individuals love to people watch. I've done it at Underground Atlanta, good times. People are amusing characters. lol

I like to people watch too. Not sure I would enjoy this sort of live stream or not, but I get how people liken it to sitting on a porch and watching a busy street of people flow by. That being said, I find it creepy that it was apparently pretty normal for rando guys watching the livestream pay for random girl's food. That part gives me the icks.

I’m still curious on the Taylor Ave. / Band Field call officers responded to because of its proximity in time and location to when the coroner spoke to the estimated time of death. I wonder what prompted the caller in essence on a weekend night regarding these specified individuals. Did the caller hear or see something else, officers responded to the general vicinity, and just happened to stumble upon the incident at Band Field? “Alcohol Offense” was the final outcome on the report, I believe. Similar to “Noise Complaint” on others.
I've wondered if someone either directly or indirectly involved in that call thought 1122 called the police on them. The timing is incredible. JMO

Disagree. He’d only have to see the autopsy report. That details every single injury including size, depth and position of stab wounds. So, if one victim had only 3 stab wounds and another had 15, he could easily say one was more brutal.
He shouldn't have had access to her autopsy report. JMO

Another possibility…. Did the students routinely lock their cars? Someone could have been waiting & watching in one of the vehicles parked outside.
Very good argument for the killer to be living within sight of the house! Could see when everyone returned home and didn't need to sit out in the cold or risk going into the house and hiding until everyone returned and lights were out.

Also, what about if he was sitting in an automobile for a few hours watching the house? We were once stuck behind a "bandit" (what I call him) in Arizona in December. Temps in the low 30s. Bandit refused to get out of his vehicle and we were sitting for several hours while LE tried to talk him out of the vehicle. We'd occasionally crank the truck to warm up a little.

He didn't see the autopsy report.

https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/DocumentCenter/View/24875/12-05-22-Moscow-Homicide-Update

There have been statements and speculation about this case, victim injuries, cause of death, evidence collection and processing, and investigative techniques. With the active criminal investigation, law enforcement has not released additional facts to the family or the public.

BBM.

I saw a contractor on a YouTube channel going over the design of the house and he said there is and indication of 3 bathrooms on each floor based on the ventilation pipes on the roof. The video was due to the belief that blood was pouring down the foundation. It was quite interesting.
@Bhodie
Where is the link to the video?
Reason why I am asking is due to the fact that you state that a contractor in that video claims that there are 3 bathrooms on each floor based on ventilation pipes on the roof.

Zillow and other sites state 6, there is 1 bathroom on each floor for a total of 3

Respectfully,
Thora_Jay

3 targeted stab wounds vs 15 more superficial (possibly) stab wounds. Maybe 1 victim put up more of a fight. There's room for being subjective regarding the definition of brutal. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust