ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 25

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This! I want to know which rooms they entered.

Yeah i'd like to know if they went into X's room first. They showed a shot of them going into her room but was that before or after going upstairs? They did come from the hallway leading from the stairs/kitchen before heading into X's room.

Well, I’m starting to think she may be the the target where I wasn’t so certain before. I wonder why no one one knows where she worked? She apparently got some sort of degree in IT? Did she do internship in the community? If so where?
It could be she noticed a peripheral nuance but blew it off. Though I still think everyone knew this person at least by sight , and they pissed him off or humiliated him in his mind .
No she was getting a general studies degree.

Here are all of the victim's majors, per the university: Four Students Killed in Alleged Homicide Identified

I think your posts has many good points, but my observations are:
Normal middle age adults do know their phone tracks. 30-year-olds know it, 40-year-olds do, so to 50 and 70-year-olds. In fact the data show older people are more conscious of privacy implications and threats.

Sure, grandma may get phished by "John Smith" an "IRS agent" with a district Mumbai accent asking for her to pay her tax bill with Target gift cards, but on the other hand, the average 23-year-old would go catatonic if separated from their phone for five mintues. In fact actually I don't know a 20-25 year old who could find their way out of a paper bag without their phone, so there is that.

As far as DNA, I have seen plenty of forensic experts on the news and youtube spout statistics and experience of dna being likely left if perp has edged weapons'.

Well I have no degree in forensic science, but I have actually used an hilted knife in training, a couple of 12 hour sessions in advanced training with a knife after basic, and done a lot of full force stabbing of dummies with a combat knife, including rapid and very powerful stabbing and never nicked my skin the whole time. I think the forensic experts are thinking of the 99%ish percent of stabbings that involve a fight, and/or where the knife is a kitchen or EDC knife with no hilt. stab hard with a kitchen knifes, especially with hands or gloves wet with blood, and your hand slides forward and you cut yourself. NOT with a combat knife. For all we know if he wore a watch cap, and any type of gloves, maybe none of the perp's dna or prints are there, and also maybe the perp had very very little blood on him.
Which is why I worry about finding DNA. Harder to do and to explain.

Chance that car was dumped in the woods. Lots of Tree Cover in Idaho and WA.

Tell family and friends Car is in the shop.

10 yr old Hyundai, chances are it knew the inside of Car Repair shops.
All good points. I am curious though, what people make of the fact that the police asked specifically for sightings the days leading up to murders, and day of murders -- but did not ask for sightings since murder

Do those not lock automatically? Sorry I know nothing about these locks.
No. From the outside, in mine you press a logo. It makes a whirring sound so that you know it has locked. From the inside, you have to twist a little knob to lock it.

from the inside,,you unlock it by twisting the knob,

from the outside,you enter a code . It whirs to let you know you entered the correct numbers and you have to open it at the correct whirring point or you have to start over

Xana's mother said this in her first interview, that Xana's father had fixed a lock (she didn't say which one) when he visited the weekend before the murder. This has not been confirmed by either LE or Xana's father, but if true, I think it may well be relevant.
Its pertinent as the perpetrator might have damaged the lock for later ingress. This could mean the perpetrator had been in the house.

That means, the perpetrator had premeditated the crime. How long prior had the lock been damaged? Imoo

Re:Hyundai Elantra. If LE had the car, they'd know what year it was. Logic tells me they don't have it.

They are asking about before and during the time of the murders. Logic tells me they either have something on it after that time frame going away from the scene, so it might been parked somewhere, have come in from another direction, someone dropping someone off or picking them up, perhaps (Possibly the killer, sure) OR it might have been a vehicle in a video seen driving in front or behind the safe ride for K & M.

If K &M had just been dropped off by their safe ride at 1:56 am, surely there were other safe ride vehicles still out. Sometimes they pick up more than one to drop off various places. This could account for occupant(s) as a possibility.

I can see both sides: innocent vehicle out for non nefarious reasons, getaway car for a murderer.

I’m a data guy and this car is not so much the proverbial needle in a haystack as it may seem.

There were 636,307 Hyundai Elantras sold in years 2011-2013. Hyundai Elantra US car sales figures

I looked up current 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantras for sale in the US. That total number currently for sale (on Cargurus) is 1,430. However, if we change the color to white, that number drops to 133 (or 9.3%).

I know it’s not perfect, but I think it’s directionally suggestive that approximately 9-10% of the Hyundai Elantras sold from 2011-2013 were white, which is a total 60,450 cars.

Stick with me here :)

In 2021, car sales by dollars in the US were $1,165.4B of which Idaho represented $3.8B or .3% of sales.

Now there are a ton of variables as to what types of cars are typically purchased in the Northwest and what those costs are, but .3% of 60,450 White 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantras = 181.

The number of Hyundai Elantra purchases in Idaho could be disproportionate to the rest of the US. And we know that the car may be from another state, but the overall point is that there are NOT going to be thousands of these cars running around the state - not with the specific color and year.

Thought I’d point this directional info out with everyone saying how common a car this is and this being a reason they are often stolen.

So I believe the chances of finding the car relatively quickly are pretty good.

But that is a strawman of sorts. Why would you insist they had to be emergent (urgent?emergency?) calls for help? women are followed lots'. They are hassled and intimidated lots. And they were DRUNK.

People are arguing this as if the girls would have known what we know, that they were going to be murdered. They did not know that. They may have wanted to ask their friend what to do if they sensed they were being followed. Or someone had creeped them out at a bar. Or if dog was barking at someone etc. Or a car seemed to be following them. Or if the lock on their sliding door seemed tampered with.

It is not logical to project what sober people, who know they are going to be attacked or murdered, would do, to what drunk people who do not know the urgency, but feel unease or worry would do.
Actually, I am arguing that the girls were doing what was normal for them on any normal weekend. K's sister said K was known to call people repeatedly late at night. The family has stated that if Kaylee felt nervous about anyone/anything, she would call 911. K & M calling K's ex late at night multiple times is well within the range of their typical behavior.

My word "urgent" was based on the fact that there were many posts that believed K and M were attempting to call for help. Perhaps it was the wrong word, perhaps not. Either way, I believe that the phone calls were just part of another normal Saturday night at 1122 King Road for K & M.

“The police said they have received more than 5,000 tips,
That is the good news and the bad news all in one. It is a lot of parsing and sifting of regular forensics, digital forensics, and the nuggets of valuable tips among a zillion tips that are noise. Just imagine how investigators are having to deal with people in Nevada and Georgia seeing white elantras and calling in. They will get this done.

"On November 15, Moscow police said they preliminarily "believe this was an isolated, targeted attack and there is no imminent threat to the community at large," and that "evidence indicates that this was a targeted attack.""

I wish Idaho police good luck in catching the killer, and all things considered, view them as professionals. However, the statement that there is no imminent threat to the community at large, bothers me.

Whether one person was targeted, or a couple, or, the house, or it was a totally random hit, IMHO, to firmly state that there is no imminent threat to the community, is anti-mobilizing the said community.

JMO, the threat is humongous. If the killer was after gorgeous blonde students, then any other gorgeous blonde might be at risk.

If he was envious of happy couples, then sooner or later he'll hit another happy couple.

It he disliked certain behaviors, then any other student or even professional who crosses the line, would be at risk. Even if it is the killer's first case and he views murders as "revenge", next time, it will be easier to slaughter anyone making him feel slighted.

If it is a random killer, more often than not, serial killers operate in a certain locale. I can remember the cases when killers traveled 400 miles to find victims, but usually their activity is geographically limited. The killers know own neighborhood better, the victims are easy to find, perhaps they are afraid to stand out too much in an unknown place.
So a local serial killer will, likely, strike again, circumstances permitting.

I remember one situation, decades ago, when a young woman I knew disappeared. When we expressed compassion and concern, someone said, "yes, but that girl had an unsafe habit of getting into any car that would stop to give her a ride". Not an unusual response, human brain first panics, then tries to rationalize why it shouldn't happen to them. (I behave safely, I don't get drunk, I am anti-drugs, it is not my house, I am not the target). The community shouldn't panic, of course, but the sooner it understands that "targets" is not about the victims, the better. The moment everyone realizes that there is a murderer amidst their sorority/fraternity/house/city,. the community will be ready to provide support.

He butchered four people. He will do it again. He is a threat to everyone.

Last edited:
The perp having very little blood on him would be a bit difficult given the coroner's description of blood everywhere and what may be blood running down the foundation of the house exterior. Hitting one or more of the gastric, splenic or common hepatic arteries would result in massive blood spray. My daughter found a friend who killed himself with a knife, and there was arterial spray on the ceiling.
Have you heard any more on the blue light at the apartment buildings near 1122?

RE: Case going cold or unsolved.

I'm just going to throw this out there. I think these new agents are from a specific dept/branch/taskforce and it is related to the tips about the car and it's occupants. I think perhaps this investigation is now heading in a particular direction. Just a feeling I get today. Nothing more.

even if they did wake they may think it was guests from a party upstairs vs a deranged killer.
Just adding, that it would be the same with a few drops of blood from the knife - my first thought would be that someone had a nosebleed, a bad period or maybe a boy got into a fight - not that 4 people were stabbed in their beds while I was snoring. It is just not among the top 3 ideas you get. Frankly, even if I saw a stabbed person my first ideas would be among the lines of some freak accident, blood from a fight last night or a very odd suicide, not that someone crept to my house and stabbed 4 people and left 2 in beds sleeping.
Hindsight and all that. MOO

“The neighbor told Fox News this week that the front door — which opens to the level where two other roommates were unharmed — was wide open around 8:30 a.m. on Nov. 13.”

I am not sure if the Fox News link is allowed if it isn’t please snip the link.

If the perpetrator wore full PPE, it's time to go full Homeland Security.

Would this person strip out of the sperm suit prior to re-entering the vehicle?

Forensics might find sperm suit fibres on the closed scene? Imoo

Due to the volume of calls with tips and leads coming in about the request for information about a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra, the Tip Line is now directed to an FBI call center. The global call center has the resources to take those calls, categorize them, and send them on to investigators so they can utilize those tips in the investigation.

Please be aware that this new call process takes patience on behalf of the caller, and there are some prompts to follow. Remember, your tip may be the key to solving this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89