ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My information is that the bodies were taken to Spokane, WS where a medical examiner performed the autopsies, and the results were passed along to the county coroner. (Cathy M.?) No way did she perform those autopsies...isn't she just an RN?)Autopsies completed for U of I murder victims - KXLY
Results and evidence found in the bodies were given to MPD

Another jmo thought regarding the killer's sartorial choices:

lightweight, comes in black, keeps the dna in and the knife out, and if it's a smart, thrill planner / killer, maybe someone from the PNW who also dives for fun. Just a wild idea, but if I can find a shark-proof wetsuit that's lightweight and would limit dna, then so can anyone else with the ability to google.

editing to add: if the killer is one of the perfectionist types, he might even enjoy customizing his suit a la batman. sorry, I have a bit of a superhero predilection.

Good question. Just my opinion, but I think it was because of some other factor. If it had been for love, why kill four people when it is one you are upset with. Money, again, same reason. This seems like some sort of hit to me, or, just some crazed psychopath who went on an awful killing spree.

I agree, this is not a professional ‘hit’ IMO, it’s also not random enough to be a crazed outburst of rage / jealousy or some comeuppance. JMO but it’s got the signs of someone who has given up on their own life and cares not a jot what becomes of them, maybe depression, despair, or alienation, or psychosis, but has the sociopathic element enough to decide to take these people out as if it were a blood sport. In which case, I’d say it’s someone well prepared (night vision and armed with preferred weapon of choice) and it is also ‘personal‘ (knows these people and has come to despise what they represent to him). MOO

imo only, I took #2 to be threats being made to those who are being accused online. the mods have spent a great deal of time cleaning up threads here that mention those parties, but there are some convinced that it must be fill in the blank. I think at one point poor Murphy the doodle was even accused but that's craziness. That dog would have broken two cigarettes into the interrogation. okay, just kidding, but you get my point. A lot of unfounded speculation, and given the heightened degree of fear and emotion, I can see how this could easily go off the rails. And this is JMO about who is receiving threats.
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply.

BTW, the dog comment did crack me up!

In cold regions, houses are often sealed with a barrier.

I thought this was disproved as blood? :) i'm not sure it has relevance? :) There are a few comments about it :)
Tyvek is popular in Colo and WY, it's just enough staples to hold in place, not sealed. I've also seen visqueen used on the inside over the insulation, but that too is just a few staple to hold in place, not sealed either. MEO with husband in construction.

Not sure if it’s true or statistically proven but its been a long-standing tale that LE, hospital casualty, psychiatrists, and paramedics are ran off their feet on full moons due to higher incidence of everything going mad ie ‘lunatics’ plus other things such as more babies being born. Perhaps someone with facts could verify? It could be that burglars and housebreakers are well served or encouraged by the extra night light?
It is truly a fact

IMO and vast experience, drunk people are unpredictable, volatile, noisy, erratic and can be unusually violent. It would be a strange type of criminal who a) wouldn’t implicitly know that and b) would assume his targets are all 100% dead drunk fast asleep. I don’t think anyone could rely on that as a basis for successful murder plan. Unless of course it was never planned and the murderer happened to find everyone in deep drunken sleep but then how would they know that as opposed to regular sleep?
Yeah after I posted that I thought that just being asleep makes them an easy target so I don’t think them being drunk made the killer any more or less likely to commit the crime - It *possibly* made it easier to kill them and I only say that because I sleep like a baby after several drinks.

MOO

Not sure if it’s true or statistically proven but its been a long-standing tale that LE, hospital casualty, psychiatrists, and paramedics are ran off their feet on full moons due to higher incidence of everything going mad ie ‘lunatics’ plus other things such as more babies being born. Perhaps someone with facts could verify? It could be that burglars and housebreakers are well served or encouraged by the extra night light?
Ooooh, I didn't even think of that! I don't have any scientific data, nor am I qualified expert, on full moons having any association with behavior changes but I believe it "can" be true based on my own perceptions for over a decade. So that is kinda interesting you brought that up. Don't really think it's worth reading further into though.

This is JMO.

If I’m half drunk, fully asleep and on my stomach, all it would take is someone grabbing my hair to lift my head up and severing my carotid artery. I’d be dead in less than a minute. I wouldn’t stand a chance and would never know what hit me. I’d basically bleed out into the mattress.

Fwiw, I think this crime was swift and efficient.

moo.
Someone posted an article on this site many threads ago about the 7 most lethal places to stab someone that would kill them instantly/quickly and it was not at all what I expected. It's very hard to stab someone in the heart because of the ribs. It's also harder to slash someone's throat and have it lead to death because there are so many ligaments to cut through. But this article said, it is very easy and accessible to stab and then cut across the top of the thigh where the thigh meets the hip in the bend of the leg to cut a femoral artery. Another, easy spot is to cut across the bend in the back of the knee to hit an artery. Perhaps the easiest was to stab someone at the base of the skull on one side of the spine and then pull the knife quickly across the spine.

I do wonder. In the interior of our house, 77% illumination still leaves the hallways pitch dark, the middle bedroom too. Back of house faces sky and west, so dim light in kitchen. But wouldn't the sleepers have lowered their blinds - to keep moonlight out?

Maybe not, maybe enough glow from charging electronics to see a little, once the eyes are accustomed to the dark. I now believe the killer found exactly the 4 people he thought he would find - perhaps not exactly where they could have been, but he probably knew E and X were in that second floor BR. I am thinking we will find they were killed after K and M, perhaps because they were slightly roused from sleep by some sound in the house.

I wonder if K and M had closed the door to their BR (I wouldn't, if the bathroom was outside the room and I'd been drinking, there was no one else up there or expected to be up there). But E and X probably shut their door due to proximity to the kitchen.

I worked at a long-term rehabilitation clinic for 3 years and I can say that full moons ALWAYS had more paperwork. We had to document everything. (Some clients are furloughed from prison). I remember coming back in the morning after a full moon and having the overnight hand me a stack of notes and say, “sorry, it’s going to take you forever to catch up on what’s happened here”.
I had shifts on the suicide hotline and even that went bonkers on full moons. We came to just expect it.

So many people making assumptions about the blood and lack of blood trail. its been noted that the Lizzy Borden murder with the hatchet had much less blood than people would normally expect.
Here is link to a discussion.

"The only blood evidence found was on and beneath the victims and spatter cast off from the murder weapon. There was no testimony about trails of blood, either in the form of footprints or as blood dripping from the murder weapon. There was actually very little blood spatter found around Abby's body, especially since she received several more hatchet blows than Andrew. The important point to be made is that there was relatively little blood spatter in both Abby and Andrew's murders, certainly a lot less than most people expect. Based upon that, maybe the expectations are incorrect, since the point was proven not once, but twice."
So while it was reported that it was a bloody crime scene the following day, it may not have been a bloody during the killings, just spatter, killer was wearing gloves, got spatter on his clothes, and the blood soaked into the mattress and blankets. But seems like common sense that it would take a while for blood to cover the floor.
Once again at the sake of being trolled it seems this could have involved a lot of planning and knowledge combined with the audacity of the risk also suggest work of serial killer. Although its all just speculation at this point, and I think I'll just follow news for updates.
I have long thought, especially from seeing photos within the house after the crime, that this may have been a horrifying scene for first responders, it may not have been as much of a bloodbath as described. Not that it makes it any less horrible as a crime, but I think the bedding absorbed much of the blood and limited any spatter. I'm not minimizing the horror of a quadruple murder; just saying there might not have been as much spatter as one might expect in a quadruple murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89