ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The coroner actually walked that back the next day and said “some” were in their beds. This all originated when the coroner gave an interview to Ashleigh Banfield with NewsNation on Thursday, 11/17. In that interview she tells Banfield that the victims were found in their beds.

Then, the next day, Friday, 11/18, the coroner gave an interview to CBS News and said that earlier reports (I.e. her statement to Banfield the day before) stating that all 4 were murdered in their beds was not accurate.

“Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details. She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.”

So, the early report that EC was on the floor might, after all, be accurate. Which is what I posted, but was challenged on.

Unfortunately, the CBS article doesn't place him on the floor nor say who was not in their bed. IMO, it was EC who was not in his bed, just as initially reported.

Makes sense to me, as well.

People were not safe before this act. This isn't the only killer out there; these aren't the first killings, and won't be the last. Long after this killer has been captured, there will be plenty of others out there, some even "inspired" by these killings.

Feeling safe and being safe are two different things. I think the less safe you feel, the safer you probably are, because you are being more cautious. Lock your dang doors. Put up curtains and blinds. Maintain a level of sobriety. Be aware of your surroundings.

It stinks to have to live this way, but this is the world we live in. It doesn't matter whether or not you believe in lightning, it will still kill you. Don't make yourself the next "target."

JMHO
All of the above plus read The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. It was published in 1997 so it doesn't fully address the dangers of social media.

Experts say the best safety device a person can have is … drum roll… an alarmed door wedge! Or even just a regular door wedge. For the room you sleep in wherever you are. For your closed door obv! This is due to the prevalence of horrific things that happen to people in bed at home, staying over in others homes or in hotels and B&Bs domestic or overseas.
Googling “alarmed door wedge”. Good stocking stuffers

I would expect that LE would soon have a pretty good idea who the Elantra might belong to. According to estimates here, there were approximately 600,000 white Elantras sold in the US in that time range. Not all would still be on the road. Wouldn't LE be able to run a DMV check and know the owners of the white Elantras in Idaho and neighboring states. That would be a good place to start.
can you link to that, because the numbers I found for all colors was lower.

I haven’t been able to find anything about Kaylee’s last place of employment. Her sister said she worked full time while going to school. All ive read so far is that she had a job lined up in Texas.

But it wasn't a full moon - it was at 77%. Would love to hear how that affects lighting in your situation (we live in a regular singular story house). Your higher floor would mean more light, for sure (if your window faced the moon). I need to look up moonrise and house orientation for this house, because the lighting factor is driving me nuts.

We sleep with our door closed too (and two other doors in between that door and any regular point of entry to our house. However, I can see where people sleeping as roomies in one room might keep the door open for quietude when having to get up at night. These sets of people were on three different floors and probably had some expectation of privacy on their own floor.

In this case, people could certainly see in at Level 2 (kitchen/dining room area) but I'm thinking all the lights were turned off - and the killer had to know where the bedrooms were, unless he spent time opening doors and peeking in - and spending the multiple seconds it would take to figure out who was where.

Okay - so it appears to me that the windows in the bedrooms in both the second and third floors face north (so less light from the moon - but I do need to check moonrise time).
I think I saw fairy lights in some photos .

So, the early report that EC was on the floor might, after all, be accurate. Which is what I posted, but was challenged on.

Unfortunately, the CBS article doesn't place him on the floor nor say who was not in their bed. IMO, it was EC who was not in his bed, just as initially reported.

Makes sense to me, as well.
Yep, I wouldn’t be surprised if the early report of Ethan being on the floor was correct. From putting this together with the press release stating all were likely asleep when attacked, I personally think all were sleeping when they were first attacked, but one or more may have fallen out of bed/crawled out of bed, so not all were actually passed away in the bed. I just hate to think about what went on in there…

Or animal anatomy. Might be quite enough. JMO,
Truth IME!, my husband watched my e-csection and could name the different things the other Dr. assistance were holding outside of me because he's familiar with animal anatomy.

AFAIK marshals don't really investigate. They primarily transport prisoners, arrest fugitives, and operate witness protection. I would be really surprised if they'd show up at a crime scene like those guys did. MOO
We don’t know if the 2 surviving roommates are in witness protection so if they are Marshall’s would they have brought one of the girls back to the scene but they left them in the car while they went inside to recreate info the girls gave? Could also be why the one guy really did not want anyone seeing inside the vehicle?

I want to correct what I said about the orientation of X and E's room - I think it faces east (but with trees outside). Trees will cut moonlight significantly.

If I'm calculating properly, the moon came up (in the east) at about 1 am early Saturday. So yes, there would have been *some* moonlight in at least the second floor bedroom - but filtered by tree shade (for us, that means it's still pretty dark inside).

It's really weird to even ponder that the perp might have waited for a night with 1) no parties and 2) some moonlight when 3) K was back in town.

That's what I would use, if rectifying a chart for this case.

3:30-3:45.

If he left the door open, cooling down the house, then bodies would have cooled faster than in some cases - making it seem they had been dead longer (so even 4 am is a possibility, with what we know right now).

I wasn't going to respond b/c I didn't think we could talk about this, but I had a quick look and that's my target time, too. I think anything past 4 is too risky - people start moving around to go to service jobs, so had to start earlier and looking at the chart, 3:30 hits the sweet spots imo.

I want to correct what I said about the orientation of X and E's room - I think it faces east (but with trees outside). Trees will cut moonlight significantly.

If I'm calculating properly, the moon came up (in the east) at about 1 am early Saturday. So yes, there would have been *some* moonlight in at least the second floor bedroom - but filtered by tree shade (for us, that means it's still pretty dark inside).

It's really weird to even ponder that the perp might have waited for a night with 1) no parties and 2) some moonlight when 3) K was back in town.
trees cut it if on the ground and thick, but higher up, they cast freaky shadows and allow more light IME.

Even at a humane society I worked at a long time would schedule an extra ACO on shift the day after a full moon.
Yes, it’s so interesting crazy. My experience is we wouldn’t even know there was a full moon in the midst of the crazy until someone would say omg is it a full moon?, and yes it is? It would more often than not be, coincidence? Idk, but it was understood to be a “thing”.

Yes. All that meticulous timing and planning, then leaving a "sloppy" scene?

That is incongruous.

Seeing these new 'investigators' (not sure if that's what they are technically) show up is quite interesting. I'm sure it's been discussed some here but I missed it. They look and walk like US Marshals in my view. Is it confirmed who they belong to?

If they are US Marshals, it makes me wonder if there is a thought that the perp may be a serial offender the govt is aware of and has been chasing (the Marshal's jurisdiction) and they are there simply to evaluate whether or not it could be their guy (assuming they belong to a task force or similar tracking a specific individual down).
They do carry themselves like Marshalls. My LE obsessed son saw me watching the clip yesterday and said "Oh they've got the Marshalls involved."

However a lot of Fed agents carry themselves in a similar same manner.

Note: I'm not saying they are Marshalls, I'm merely stating upon looks the OP wasnt alone in their first impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89