ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SleepySleuth —I agree. I think they’re totally innocent and are going to be scarred for the rest of their lives. Also, theoretically speaking, they may have made it a habit to lock their door while they slept and that could have been enough to keep him away, slept with earbuds in (my sis sleeps with a white noise machine), or it was dark in the house and it seems to have a weird layout so he really may not have known they were even there. I couldn’t imagine what they’re going through. :(
I completely agree with you. This will require long term trauma recovery treatment.
We really don’t know how or why they were spared. Perhaps given the depravity, it was they who were being punished.
I hope LE can get the murderer quickly but given his pathology and organizing skills, he may have his psychopathy very well disguised.

Regarding the 911 caller - I think this is such an interesting aspect. I really wonder if this person identified themselves by name? According to the Coroner, the victims were likely sleeping. So going off of that, I am going to assume they were all in their bedrooms. This leaves me with so many questions about the 911 caller.

1. Was the 911 caller a friend who was stopping by to pay a visit on of the four, went into their room and saw that they were "unconscious"?
2. Was the 911 caller someone who was able to see through a window and see someone who appeared unconscious?
3. Was the 911 caller the killer?

Such an odd aspect to this case, even more so than the sleeping roommates who didn't hear the attack, IMO. If it was just someone who was stopping by, I don't know why that information would be concealed. They wouldn't have to identify them as anyone other than an unnamed friend.

Regarding the 911 caller - I think this is such an interesting aspect. I really wonder if this person identified themselves by name? According to the Coroner, the victims were likely sleeping. So going off of that, I am going to assume they were all in their bedrooms. This leaves me with so many questions about the 911 caller.

1. Was the 911 caller a friend who was stopping by to pay a visit on of the four, went into their room and saw that they were "unconscious"?
2. Was the 911 caller someone who was able to see through a window and see someone who appeared unconscious?

Such an odd aspect to this case, even more so than the sleeping roommates who didn't hear the attack, IMO. If it was just someone who was stopping by, I don't know why that information would be concealed. They wouldn't have to identify them as anyone other than an unnamed friend.
Maybe a neighbour spotted unusual activity at the house, maybe even someone with binoculars who might like to keep an eye on the house filled with young attractive females, ie a perv with a conscience?
(This came to mind because of a case where a guy who broke into a house to steal and found disturbing child images and reported it to LE)
Complete speculation, imo,

My theory is the 2 girls were in bed when killed and then perp went to leave when one of the couple came out and was killed in living area (guessing the guy) and then other person of the couple (the girl) may have heard skuffle and woke up and started to also come out or yelled out so he went and killed her. Then he bolted. JMO.

Yes, I got this impression from the Chief’s demeanour when he was asked and said he didn’t know why the 911 call hadn’t been made until that time.
My impression was not that he was confused or in doubt but rather overwhelmed and shocked.
He also may have needed to not divulge much about the call or caller. We still don’t have any confirmation on who or what that was about, do we?
There’s got to be more disturbing facts to come.
I’m glad students are leaving early but hope they can get counseling or have access to crisis services while on break. Same goes for close friends and families.

Is this area close to a military base? Has anyone living there been released from the military recently? Ka Bar knives are usually owned by military or someone affiliated.

Your possibility continues the: Ka Bar, verse Ka Bar like knife issue.

Much like Kleenex becoming generic for any tissue, Ka Bar can mean a "Ka Bar Ka bar" manufactured by Ka Bar. Or, it can mean a low quality imitation knock off or it can mean a higher quality Ka Bar like knife.

Going back to the military.....

Evidently, the military has not issued genuine Ka Bars in over 60 years. They do, however, issue Ka Bar like knives. Likewise, Marines in particular might purchase genuine Ka Bar knives privately given the knife's association with the USMC in WWII and Korea.

Last edited:
No sign of sexual assault
Not a surprise given how the scene was described. This struck immediately as a 'rampage' style killing that was motivated by rage towards one or more of the victims. The purpose of the home invasion was to kill - period. The two survivors that were unharmed happened to be very fortunate the killer did not explore the rest of the house or got spooked somehow and ran off.

Were they tortured before being killed o_O . Did LE find some evidence that the perp was in PPE that I missed?
I prefaced with I have wondered… all MOO but in ny sleepy pre flight state forgot to note.
IMO MOO.
And I believe the ME’s statement about various non fatal knife wounds would indicate torture. IMO.

Last edited:
Were they tortured before being killed o_O . Did LE find some evidence that the perp was in PPE that I missed?
I haven't seen anything suggesting there is any reason to think they were in PPE.

I was simply offering that up as to how someone could slip in and out of the house relatively unnoticed and with no blood trail.

Using PPE would make it very easy for someone to appear normally dressed then quickly gown and mask up(thus preventing any of his own blood, skin, fingernails, saliva, hair, ANYTHING from being left behind and rendering him unrecognizable to anyone.

When entering an OR, it takes less than 30 seconds to get gowned and gloved up. An inexperienced person could do it a 1-2 minutes. It takes 30 seconds to rip everything off and roll it into a ball, leaving all the blood in the middle of the rolled up PPE.

Shoes and shoe prints would be obscured with shoe covers and the shoes would appear brand new even if standing in a pool of blood. Double gloved would mean fingerprints gone and very unlikely any wounds would occur from a stabbing victim fighting back. It just seems they have very little evidence at the scene (that they are saying) nor do they have any suspects (that they are saying).

No one has suggested anything about PPE being used. I'm sorry if that is how it came across. I just thought it seems to be simply the easiest explanation as to how someone could leave no DNA (at least nothing obvious as of yet) at the scene or leave any shoe prints or blood trails. A full body suit of PPI can be rolled up into a small wad the size of a coffee can and easily pocketed in a coat and burned later. Once you pull the PPE off, you can step back on the street in the normal, clean street clothes you just had on and easily blend back in.

I think Xana's dad doesn't necessarily have knowledge of the autopsy results, he is more likely to be going of how he knows/thinks Xana would act in such a situation.
Traumatized parents + media interviews do not always equal reliable information.
He so said they were just hanging out at home when it has been reported they had been to a party. Not saying he is wrong, but we shouldn't take it as gospel that Xana had defensive wounds. Yet.
I agree with every word you wrote. Would a bruise show up that quickly after the murder, and wouldn't the loss of blood affect that? (No disrespect to any of these grieving parents, who may be comforted by thoughts of their children fighting back.)

I prefaced with I have wondered… all MOO but in ny sleepy pre flight state forgot to note.
IMO MOO.
And I believe the ME’s statement about various non fatal knife wounds would indicate torture. IMO.
I heard the ME say that each victim had multiple stab wounds to their upper torsos. I did not hear the word torture. And she implied that the victims were all in their beds asleep due to the time of day. She did not indicate that anyone was up and fighting back or being tortured. In MOO torture doesn't mean being stabbed to death in your sleep - even as awful as that happening to anyone is. All MOO

Do we know of any cases just like this for comparison? Six college students living in a big house. One killer, four stabbed, two spared.

Just the amount of blood and stabs makes me think this isn’t an angry suitor. This has to be a very disturbed individual(s)!

I can’t stop thinking about Sharon Tate and the Manson gang but staying too long like the Manson gang did could wake up sleeping roommates that could call Police.

IMO MOO.

I heard the ME say that each victim had multiple stab wounds to their upper torsos. I did not hear the word torture. And she implied that the victims were all in their beds asleep due to the time of day. She did not indicate that anyone was up and fighting back or being tortured. In MOO torture doesn't mean being stabbed to death in your sleep - even as awful as that happening to anyone is. All MOO
See I don't think the various non-fatal wounds indicate torture. I think it indicates an unsophisticated killer who was in a rage and wanted to kill quickly and leave. Thus the non-fatal wounds are essentially wild hacking trying to incapacitate the victims by any means necessary.

Basically the killer just swung the knife multiple times fast trying to make the victims stop moving. Thus, some of the swings may have nicked the victims and been non-fatal wounds. In cases where torture with a knife has been in play, the wounds are methodical, slowly inflicted to cause maximum pain. This strikes me as a rage killing where the only goal was to kill as quickly as possible.

Regarding the Latah County Coroner and Banfield’s interview-would she be the person that was on scene and ultimately transported? I am trying to decide if her statement that they were all in bed is accurate and firsthand based on the crime, or based on evidence during autopsy. I don’t know whether she is permitted to divulge details, or if they are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces