ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At press conference yesterday police said all public statements for all agencies would now be coming from one guy. I feel like this lady is not supposed to be talking about this stuff.

Absolutely! Single point of contact!

Whoever is running this show needs to call all parties (of authority) in for a Come to Jesus meeting. No more ad hoc interviews. What's most aggravating is these sort of things can compromise investigations and trials.

Person in charge needs to say tomorrow morning, through the PIO, that ALL media inquiries for any aspect of the case, are to be handled through the PIO only.

IMNSHO.

moo.

I don’t know how old the house in Idaho is. I’m going to speculate that it’s probably an older home, that was remodeled, at sone point and the sliding glass door was left in place. Again, that’s just my opinion.
No one can seem to find a date, but back in the first thread I posted that it dates back at least to the mid-1970s, according to old aerials. I'm sure it was remodeled more than once. JMO

Is it just me or is this statement by the chief confusing? He says both “we’re not 100% sure if the door was unlocked” and “the door was still open when we got there”. Could that mean he isn’t sure it was unlocked when the killer gained access but it certainly was unlocked when LE arrived at the scene? And is he talking about the door by the parked cars, or the sliding glass door in the back?
I was wondering if he meant sliding door also

Attachments

• 5CE3AD0B-CADC-4423-A536-AA62668041FE.jpeg
    5CE3AD0B-CADC-4423-A536-AA62668041FE.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 106
I live in the west coast somewhere, on a base somewhere, and the houses here have two sets, each. Very old, government built housing. I have a wooden bar I put in the bottom of the non moving side.
I’m in Australia & glass sliding doors are very common here, our house has two of them, I didn’t realise they aren’t as common in the USA.

Absolutely! Single point of contact!

Whoever is running this show needs to call all parties (of authority) in for a Come to Jesus meeting. No more ad hoc interviews. What's most aggravating is these sort of things can compromise investigations and trials.

Person in charge needs to say tomorrow morning, through the PIO, that ALL media inquiries for any aspect of the case, are to be handled through the PIO only.

IMNSHO.

moo.
Really. They may have been keeping those details private to help confirm killer once identified. If coroner is speaking out of turn she should be put on leave. Compromising a quadruple homicide is a serious matter.

In Idaho the coroner is an elected official and thus does not answer to the sheriff or chief of police -- this is not someone on one or the other's staff.
Yep, it’s like either all the different independent entities (county coroner, town police, state police etc) unite task force style and agree to have one spokesperson, or they .. do this

After hearing K’s sister describe her as the girl with no past problems or enemies (“everyone’s daughter, everyone’s friend”) and thinking more about the extremely gruesome crime scene, it’s my opinion that this crime was committed by one individual, and it was someone they knew who was on the periphery of their social orbit. I say all of that for these reasons:

1) It is quite often the sweetest and almost too perfect people who can inspire the most anger, resentment, and jealousy among others. So if K really was that beautiful inside and out, it’s entirely possible there were girls who were jealous of her and just pretended to be her friend as well as guys who resented her for not returning their affection or paying them enough attention. There was a guy like that in my high school- best athlete in the school, model looks, and even an honor student, and literally the most humble and kind guy ever. He shouldn’t have had a single enemy, but he was secretly resented by so many, including some of the guys who hung out with him.

2) It is highly unlikely the killings were an unplanned crime that happened during the commission of a burglary or assault. If someone is robbing the house and suddenly is caught by a tenant, it is very unlikely that criminal would stick around and go room to room savagely eviscerating everyone there, leaving behind such a bloodbath of overkill. Burglars or even rapists like to get in, commit their crimes, and then get out.

3) I’m no expert in burglary, but I would think that a very large knife such as the one police are looking for wouldn’t be in your typical burglar’s toolkit. Feels like that would only get in the way. That type of knife would almost certainly be brought into the home of someone else for one reason alone- to commit a large amount of violence. To kill.

4) And while it has happened before, it is absolutely VERY rare for a complete stranger to break in to a house full of people in the middle of the night and slaughter them so brutally without any other motive. Drifters break in to houses to steal. Rapists and even most serial killers break in and kill while also committing sexual assaults, with usually just 1 victim. The psychopathy required to break into a house in the middle of the night and then so savagely and repeatedly stab and slash that many complete strangers for no reasons other than “for fun” is off the charts and (thankfully) not present in most people. That’s Manson Family level stuff.

No, to me, this crime points towards a motive involving jealousy, resentment, and pent-up anger likely built up over months or even years towards one or maybe two of the victims. I’m guessing it’s going to be someone who had interacted with at least one of the victims on multiple occasions. Maybe it was a frequent customer of the restaurant where they worked and the killer mistook kindness for affection and then snapped when he found out he had no chance for love. Or maybe it was someone who was a friend of a friend who attended some of their parties and for whatever reason felt rejected by the girls and as though he would never really be a true part of their social circle. Maybe it was a neighbor or a classmate who got friend-zoned and after a while couldn’t take it anymore. Or maybe even something as simple as a guy who bought them drinks one night and became enraged when they shot him down. I think it will end up being someone who was known to the girls (and maybe even the surviving girls) who they never thought of as anything other than a casual friend or acquaintance and never considered a threat. Thus, they never would have alerted family or friends to his presence in their lives because he hid his hatred well. And as cliche as it sounds, I’m betting there was a trigger event, either in his own personal life, or perhaps even in his interactions with one or more of the girls, which made him snap and decide to kill that night.

The killing was extremely personal. It was filled with rage. It was up close and while they slept. It was overkill, to say the least. It was someone who had met them before in some capacity. MOO.

I was thinking their throats were cut making it easy for the killer to silently kill Ethan and Xana (picturing that they were in bed together, but maybe they weren't?). With the latest interview saying they were stabbed in the chests, I'm wondering if Ethan slept on the couch? He entered, killed Ethan on the couch, he ended up on the floor, then Xana, then upstairs to the bedrooms. It seems difficult to imagine stabbing 2 people to death in bed together- unless this person was very skilled or there were multiple people.

IMO, MOO speculating....
Xana’s father said she fought back and had bruises and was torn by the knife

Everyone reports to someone. Alternatively if she is speaking without authorization can the LE entities just cut her out of the loop?
That's not how this works. Coroners were originated in medieval England to serve as checks on the power of sheriffs or bailiffs. They are not in their employ but are a separate branch of elected government.

After hearing K’s sister describe her as the girl with no past problems or enemies (“everyone’s daughter, everyone’s friend”) and thinking more about the extremely gruesome crime scene, it’s my opinion that this crime was committed by one individual, and it was someone they knew who was on the periphery of their social orbit. I say all of that for these reasons:

1) It is quite often the sweetest and almost too perfect people who can inspire the most anger, resentment, and jealousy among others. So if K really was that beautiful inside and out, it’s entirely possible there were girls who were jealous of her and just pretended to be her friend as well as guys who resented her for not returning their affection or paying them enough attention. There was a guy like that in my high school- best athlete in the school, model looks, and even an honor student, and literally the most humble and kind guy ever. He shouldn’t have had a single enemy, but he was secretly resented by so many, including some of the guys who hung out with him.

2) It is highly unlikely the killings were an unplanned crime that happened during the commission of a burglary or assault. If someone is robbing the house and suddenly is caught by a tenant, it is very unlikely that criminal would stick around and go room to room savagely eviscerating everyone there, leaving behind such a bloodbath of overkill. Burglars or even rapists like to get in, commit their crimes, and then get out.

3) I’m no expert in burglary, but I would think that a very large knife such as the one police are looking for wouldn’t be in your typical burglar’s toolkit. Feels like that would only get in the way. That type of knife would almost certainly be brought into the home of someone else for one reason alone- to commit a large amount of violence. To kill.

4) And while it has happened before, it is absolutely VERY rare for a complete stranger to break in to a house full of people in the middle of the night and slaughter them so brutally without any other motive. Drifters break in to houses to steal. Rapists and even most serial killers break in and kill while also committing sexual assaults, with usually just 1 victim. The psychopathy required to break into a house in the middle of the night and then so savagely and repeatedly stab and slash that many complete strangers for no reasons other than “for fun” is off the charts and (thankfully) not present in most people. That’s Manson Family level stuff.

No, to me, this crime points towards a motive involving jealousy, resentment, and pent-up anger likely built up over months or even years towards one or maybe two of the victims. I’m guessing it’s going to be someone who had interacted with at least one of the victims on multiple occasions. Maybe it was a frequent customer of the restaurant where they worked and the killer mistook kindness for affection and then snapped when he found out he had no chance for love. Or maybe it was someone who was a friend of a friend who attended some of their parties and for whatever reason felt rejected by the girls and as though he would never really be a true part of their social circle. Maybe it was a neighbor or a classmate who got friend-zoned and after a while couldn’t take it anymore. Or maybe even something as simple as a guy who bought them drinks one night and became enraged when they shot him down. I think it will end up being someone who was known to the girls (and maybe even the surviving girls) who they never thought of as anything other than a casual friend or acquaintance and never considered a threat. Thus, they never would have alerted family or friends to his presence in their lives because he hid his hatred well. And as cliche as it sounds, I’m betting there was a trigger event, either in his own personal life, or perhaps even in his interactions with one or more of the girls, which made him snap and decide to kill that night.

The killing was extremely personal. It was filled with rage. It was up close and while they slept. It was overkill, to say the least. It was someone who had met them before in some capacity. MOO.
Definitely could be the case but I can’t help thinking of two psycho campus killers (Ted Bundy and Danny Rolling) who have been mentioned often on these threads who over-killed complete strangers in their beds, so that could have happened. But you are right most murders are not between complete strangers.

In Idaho the coroner is an elected official and thus does not answer to the sheriff or chief of police -- this is not someone on one or the other's staff.

Sheriff might ask some party with referent authority (FBI?) to call the meeting and gently remind all parties of the raison d'être for the PIO.

Or ship her off to Emmitsburg for one of their PIO courses.

JMO, not gonna belabor it but jeez Louise, this is basic stuff. Not to mention how fielding questions like those on the fly must be excruciating for families.

Mysteryfan96, keep in mind murders like this do happen randomly. Maybe not commonly, but I recall a certain Richard Speck breaking into a dorm and killing eight nursing students. He had a knife and claimed he only planned to commit a burglary. Just because it happened in 1966 doesn't rule out criminal intent of today's deranged individuals.

how does he know that? did he have access to the autopsies prior to them being released? do you have a link to him stating that? ty
Why wouldn’t her father know? They would have released the autopsy results to the families?

See below:
Kernodle says there’s one thing the autopsy shows for certain. Xana, a strong-willed woman, fought her killer to the very end. “Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,” Kernodle said.

To my eye the white object in that picture is a Tyvek type suit on a crime scene tech (woman with a brown topknot) not a comforter
MOO. In my line of work, I see these white Tyvek suits every day, and I’d have to agree with this opinion. If you zoom into the photo, you can see the slight shadow/light of the somewhat textured surface of a Tyvek suit. The material is also gathered in specific places that look to be more like the inner elastic bands for a Tyvek suit than a bolster or fabric panel of a comforter. Typically, comforters are sewn such that the panels of fabric are in some way geometrically balanced (but not always) and although obviously we can’t see the whole image clearly, the gathers of the material seem to be imbalanced /oddly placed for a comforter but properly placed for an elastic inner band of a hooded Tyvek suit. All of this is MOO, to be clear.

New member and first time poster here. My sister and her family live less than half a mile away from the house where this happened, and I’m gnawingly worried that this might be the work of a potential serial killer and not just a fellow student who had a bone to pick or a score to settle. I found this site and this thread because I’ve been trying to grasp at every update I can about this case, since it hits very close to home (literally) for members of my family.

Why wouldn’t her father know? They would have released the autopsy results to the families?

See below:
Kernodle says there’s one thing the autopsy shows for certain. Xana, a strong-willed woman, fought her killer to the very end. “Bruises, torn by the knife. She’s a tough kid. Whatever she wanted to do, she could do it,” Kernodle said.

I didn't think they had released the full autopsy results yet, that is why I was asking. Also, asking if they released them to family early was a valid question.

Thank you for the link.

I need to look through the thread but I thought it was mentioned that they were killed while sleeping. Maybe in the latest interview given by the coroner?

MOO IMO etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member