ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory - say that this car is related to the crime.
3am - texting/ calling J, girls are apparently not in distress. (Later than 3AM M last calls?)
3.45am - white car seen speeding away.
What locked in the timeframe? Why have the investigators been able to narrow the timeframe down to between 3am-4am?

I could, but I’m not sure it would be helpful because I’m unconvinced the 3:45 AM car in the purported video is relevant.

First, this person wasn’t working that night so I don’t understand why she’s blabbing? Presumably, LE will be talking to the clerk actually on duty at the time if they determine the surveillance video to be relevant.

There’s a stop sign at that corner for both White & Styner to cross over Troy Rd.

Like you, I’m not a mass murderer, but I might have taken Styner to flee the crime scene but it makes no sense to me the murderer would be heading, basically, back where he came from, where he had essentially just escaped completely undetected.

Or, are people thinking that’s the car headed to commit the quadruple murders? The time seems problematic based on what LE has released, but it would make more sense to me than thinking the purported video is of the car afterwards.

Moo!
I agree. I think the time and direction are problematic, and I'd have taken a less traveled route. personally, I'd have gone out through the quiet part of the neighborhood by the arboretum, to Palouse (then it becomes Sand), and into WA. I'd have done what I needed to in that remote area. I'd have driven into Pullman, and then headed home. no cameras, remote, etc. to see me until I hit pullman.

Is it just me, or is that a white Hyundai seen on Google maps on Hanson Ave, a side road next to the gas station where the photo was taken?!!!
I see it too but i think it is a much newer car, and i don’t think it’s an Elantra. MOO. based on looking at images of rear of 2011-13 Elantras online.
EDITED TO ADD. I now see another poster identified it as a Voloster which seems to match the image.

I went looking for a source as to the time of death being between 3am and 4am. The only source I could find is that it came from the mayor in the beginning stages of the investigation. Does anyone have a link that attributes it to someone more official? Given the blunders he made in the beginning with false and/or assumed info, I am not sure I’m willing to make this a definitive timeframe of death, in my mind at least.

I used @wnk awesome timeline.

2 a.m. to 5 a.m. This is when Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the homicides occurred. Moscow Mayor Art Bettge previously told the Statesman that police told him they believed the deaths were 3-4 a.m.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article268898017.html#storylink=cpy

also there is this timeline published

Approximately 3 to 5 a.m. The four students, who were believed to be sleeping at the time, are killed in the house. The coroner later states some had defensive wounds, and each was stabbed multiple times. There was no sign of sexual assault.

Timeline: Retracing the final night of murdered Idaho university students
I was off searching "time of death" thing when Emerald1328 posted. Yes, it seems the 3-4am was a quote from the mayor days before the autopsy so I think should be taken with a grain of salt. I've been able to find no quote from the coroner that says anything more specific than "early morning hours." Both of the links that diggndeeperstill and girlx posted have links to "verify" the 2am to 5am time span they cite but when you click on the links they don't link to anything that says 2-5.

JMO the attack didn't happen until after 3am and it could have been a couple of hours later than that.

Thanks! I agree, it’s likely a newer Velostar. It also has a black front-end while the gas station footage shows it as all-white.

There is a second car at the end of that block, too. (Photo above) Can you tell what that one is? Looks like a Nissan Altima.

What a weird coincidence.
Yes I believe the one at the end of the street is a Nissan Altima. Lights look like the image below.

Attachments

• 36AEF588-EC5C-45D7-83F0-D73229371915.jpeg
    36AEF588-EC5C-45D7-83F0-D73229371915.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8
In theory - say that this car is related to the crime.
3am - texting/ calling J, girls are apparently not in distress. (Later than 3AM M last calls?)
3.45am - white car seen speeding away.
What locked in the timeframe? Why have the investigators been able to narrow the timeframe down to between 3am-4am?
I'm not aware LE saying the time frame is 3-4am. Imo.

I believe that car at the end of the court is actually a Nissan Altima
Can someone identify this car. It doesn't have the short body high angle look of the Hyundai and Google lens identifies it as a Toyota.

By the way, the managers pic of the white car passing by the station has a similar design features to the 2011 Hyundai Elantra image

Screenshot_20221213-233418.png

Last edited:
The first map shows the route between the house and the gas station. The second shows the location of the car per one news outlet.
There are things we don’t know. I feel confident saying that, lol. Dude going to or coming from Storage locker?

Construction Dumpster he’s familiar wit?

A place he’s familiar enough to change and bag clothes?

I do not think the station Camera had a view of much of anything North of that White Ave / Rt 8 intersection on Route 8 to see a car turning; Therefore, the car came off White Ave and turned South on Rt 8 or took Styner.

MOO.

Just want to clarify because I’m very confused….

Is the white Hyundai Elantra deemed to be the car of a POI? Has LE stated that the Elantra is involved in this murder?
LE has not said in any press releases or MSM interviews that they think the car could belong to/have been driven by a POI or was involved in the murders.

In this article that summarizes what was in the press release last week it said:
Moscow murders: Police asking for help identifying a white Hyundai Elantra

"According to a press release Wednesday, MPD is asking for help identifying whoever was occupying the car that night. The release said leads have led investigators to look for additional information about a car being near the King Street home during the early morning hours of Nov. 13. Investigators believe the people or person in the car may have critical information to share."

And LE said:

""Your information, whether you believe it is significant or not, might be the piece of the puzzle that helps investigators solve these murders," the release said."

My Google Lens says it's a Toyota ...
That’s a Hyundai badge if this is the car you’re looking at.

IMO definitely a Hyundai Veloster if you compare to the images I found on a google search.

Attachments

• A58BA5D4-EAD3-483A-9099-8F1F7317B2AE.jpeg
    A58BA5D4-EAD3-483A-9099-8F1F7317B2AE.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
  • AA311BA5-225E-4D12-A380-BC0AC292E9E1.jpeg
    AA311BA5-225E-4D12-A380-BC0AC292E9E1.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 16
IMO I would’ve thought there would be certain businesses LE would obtain security footage from as a matter of common practice in a case like this. I would think petrol/gas stations and banks would fit this category… high likelihood of having working security cameras running 24/7. A quick search of petrol stations in Moscow gave me a total of 8 (give or take 1 or 2 not listed). Even if the town has a dozen petrol stations, that doesn’t seem like too many for LE to be able to gather and sift through? It’s not like it’s an area or city with 50+ petrol stations they would need footage from, it’s approximately 8. Seems like that would be one of the first, basic checks to do, especially given they have a potentially suspicious car in the area of the crime… they KNOW someone either involved or a potential witness was driving around the town! Why did they wait for that type of information to be brought to them?

Exactly....!

MOO:

It makes no sense this was not done 1st thing in this case.

LE would want to get to those 10 or 12 businesses along entrance and escape routes to and from the crime to at the very least preserve the video (prevent it from being erased / overwritten) and then analyze for leads, suspicious activity, suspicious vehicles, etc.

Last edited:
@gliving alerted me about a post of mine from November 19, before the white car was mentioned:

Post in thread 'ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4'
ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

I had posted a video early on to show the road behind up the hill, and wondering if maybe the perp used it or more specifically parked up there for a quick exit route. It seems I had tagged the “white car” passing as a reference point to show the spot, as it’s a quick bleep in the video.

Well, zooming in on that car, after @gliving reached out, and doing a side by side.....it sure looks very similar...thoughts??

November 19
margarita25 said:
Noticing (white) car going by in background on hill at :42 - :43. Making note to look at this road closer on map.

—————

Now, if it is an Elantra, whether that is or is not the “actual” car, what a crazy coincidence. More importantly, say it IS the car, this would be straight out of Austin Reed Sigg, the perp who killed little Jessica Ridgeway: He returned to the area where the cops were searching, in his vehicle, and drove around filming the cops searching and even posted it on YouTube.

Is this the same type of car?????

If you guys think it is, then LE needs to be notified immediately.

—-

Eta: Calling in the big dogs: @carbuff

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads