ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 38

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think they have likely located the Elantra of interest, which is why context is still being mentioned. Maybe they haven't collected the car yet and they almost certainly haven't had a long enough talk with the owners/drivers of it.

They still want more info about the Elantra, and they want context too. But I believe the white Elantra likely has been found.

IMO. (And I think there was more than one intended target, so can't answer that question - it's a good one).
Perhaps there are possible selfies etc that were taken inside said vehicle placing individuals there ? Just an idea / opinion

Of course they have looked at all of the records. The records are incomplete because they were not filled out properly by the applicants for parking permits! 1 missing plate number...and many missing primary contact info. My humble opinion is the university doesn't give 2 hoots about accurate info-as long as the parking permit fee is paid, it's all good, IMO OF COURSE. LE is dealing with the records they have.
OK.

Interestingly, Fox News followed one of our comments and pulled four years of campus parking record sets of Hyundai Elantras.
One of the number plate records is redacted for some reason.

They all look redacted to me. What am I missing? Of more concern to me are the 2 names NOT redacted. JMO

I think some people are frustrated and want this crime solved. Those that feel they can "help" do so by speaking with the media (sometimes anonymously - like the private party driver that took K & M home) or sharing a still photo of security footage.

I feel the longer this crime goes unsolved, the more of these tidbits of information will come out. For the integrity of the case, I wish these details would stay confidential, but I will say that the sleuth in me does enjoy new hints to make or break my current theories.
New hints and tidbits (as you refer to them), released to sm etc. is what keeps the case in the public eye. And secondarily, a pic or info might help to jog someone’s memory of what they saw or know related to the murders. So, on one hand slips can be useful and conversely, the info may or could affect the integrity of the investigation. However, as of yet, I really haven’t read or seen anything that might affect the integrity of said investigation.

…or perhaps, (and this is ONLY my own personal opinion), the killer targeted the home as it was inhabited by females. With the inner struggle, rage, and screaming growing more incessant by the day - he is overwhelmed with the compulsion to kill (once again). With the all-consuming sense to kill and dominate them to gain a twisted and morbid sense of sexual satisfaction/gratification through direct annihilation (he’s beyond compelled). It’s an added bonus that he feels exhilarated in his victory (fourfold) over death. They are deceased and HE is still alive. Every day which passes makes him feel more alive and in control. A clear winner by all accounts. With an above average intel, this will prove difficult (but not impossible). It was committed by a human being, and the truth is being sought by human beings. It’s definitely solvable. JMOO

You’re inferring to an instrumental crime wherein the killer have a calculated planned to achieve it’s goal (example: sexual in nature). Among subtypes of instrumental crimes are sexual assault, theft and robbery.

We have no knowledge of the crime scene ergo we can only conjecture of the killer/s thought process and motives. I do not believe that this perpetrator is a sexual sadist, on account off none of the victims were sexually assaulted. Sex offenders who don’t need to rape to achieve sexual gratifications would want to take their time to dominate or physically control. It’s not unlikely but it’s rare that they’re satisfied with pushing an edge knife quickly to their victims, killing them and running away. Moo

I’m more incline to believe that this crime is a typical common type of reactive violence. The killer/s retaliated to the perceived bad behavior. Presumably worked as a pair or a very small group (4). Motivating factor is going to be difficult to identify as just one single incident. Most likely, there will be a series of altercations (could be verbal) between one or all of the victims and the killer/s and accomplices. Seemingly as far back an entire year. Hence the need for “context”.

Moo

Last edited:

MOSCOW, Idaho – Authorities may be warming up to the idea of releasing a 911 call in the unsolved slayings of four University of Idaho students.

Moscow Police Chief James Fry floated the possibility of making the recording public in an interview with a local TV station Tuesday.

"I think it'll be released when the prosecution believes that we can release that," Fry said of the call, which police have so far said little about, other than that it was placed from a surviving roommate's phone and that multiple people spoke with the dispatcher.

"That may be at trial," Fry told the Spokane-based KREM-TV in a rare sitdown interview. "That may be before then."

He declined to say whether anything specific on the call could help detectives make an arrest.

"I can't discuss that," he said. "It's part of the investigation, but as soon as we can release that information, we will."

MOSCOW, Idaho – Authorities may be warming up to the idea of releasing a 911 call in the unsolved slayings of four University of Idaho students.

Moscow Police Chief James Fry floated the possibility of making the recording public in an interview with a local TV station Tuesday.

"I think it'll be released when the prosecution believes that we can release that," Fry said of the call, which police have so far said little about, other than that it was placed from a surviving roommate's phone and that multiple people spoke with the dispatcher.

"That may be at trial," Fry told the Spokane-based KREM-TV in a rare sitdown interview. "That may be before then."

He declined to say whether anything specific on the call could help detectives make an arrest.

"I can't discuss that," he said. "It's part of the investigation, but as soon as we can release that information, we will."
I hope his saying, “That may be at trial” means that he believes there will be a timely arrest. There can’t be a trial without an arrested suspect.

It is completely possible that E&X were at the home during that time with friends until shortly before the two 1st floor girls returned. That could be why police cannot nail down a timeline on them. And why they are asking for videos, pics ect and people to come forward who may have been there during that time.

I wonder if the 1st floor girls actually saw E&X when they supposedly returned home at 1:45 am. Where did they get that time? We know the 1:00am came from the surviving girls as their arrival time at the home. The 1:56 time for K&M was from a ring door camera and the driver. But who gave them a 1:45 arrival time for E&X or from what source did it come from?

JMO
BBM. As I said in an earlier post, IMO I believe the arrival time came from the two surviving housemates.

I hope his saying, “That may be at trial” means that he believes there will be a timely arrest. There can’t be a trial without an arrested suspect.
I’m just stunned it hasn’t happened yet. Someone doesn’t massacre 4 kids in a college town, and get away with it. The answer is in there somewhere, whether that be dna or video.

Since Xana Kernodle's father was inside the home changing out locks the week prior to the murders, I think it may have been Xana who had a feeling something was wrong.

The locks could be as simple as the students are going into the holiday season and that will be the first time since they moved in that she will be gone (back home) and she wants to make sure her belongings are safe if the other tenants continue the parties while shes away for a extended period of time visiting her folks.

Personally, I think they have likely located the Elantra of interest, which is why context is still being mentioned. Maybe they haven't collected the car yet and they almost certainly haven't had a long enough talk with the owners/drivers of it.

They still want more info about the Elantra, and they want context too. But I believe the white Elantra likely has been found.

IMO. (And I think there was more than one intended target, so can't answer that question - it's a good one).
I continue to go back to the idea that the house/occupants were the target, so yes, it is a targeted attack but not in the sense of one particular person was targeted due to a grievance as such.

IMO the killer targeted that house for whatever reason - house full of young girls, knew the lay out well from parties, was a good house to watch, etc. any of the above or other. I think the killer went there for the kill itself, not to end the life of that particular individual.

Yeah, they must have security footage from a camera nearby and seem to be absolutely sure about the model they are seeking. That's probably also why they know a white 2011-2013 Hyundai Elantra was in the immediate area of the King Road residence during the early morning hours of November 13th as the press release states.
I'm confident that this camera at 1112 King Road had the money shot. The language the police used when they finally put out the plea for help to find an Elantra was that it had been in the immediate area. The home that had the camera which got the video of it passing by on Taylor Street would not be in the "immediate" area. <modsnip: random image no sourced from the attached link>

But there is a reason which further corroborates to me that this is the camera that provided the video of the Elantra. And it is this. Think about it.

The police had NOT gone to the gas station a mile away to get their time lapse recording of that night. The assistant manager had to call THEM. There is no way in the world they would have neglected to go get the video from that gas station being that it was one of only three in town if they were searching for a car of interest and they had no solid information about it already. That would be unbelievable. Gas stations have proven in several murder cases to have the evidence that resulted in the convictions--one just recently. These cameras are almost always set up to record traffic at the locations. The only reason they wouldn't need to seek out this gas station's video is because they already had it right there driving only feet from the murder scene.

It was only after they put out the word to the public that people in the "surrounding" area started searching their cameras for any video which just added further corroboration that a white car was in the area at the approximate time the crime was to have been committed. But they already had their car on the light-fixture video and knew exactly what they were looking for. At least I believe they did.

Attachments

• 1672274012695.png
    1672274012695.png
    654.8 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they have looked at all of the records. The records are incomplete because they were not filled out properly by the applicants for parking permits! 1 missing plate number...and many missing primary contact info. My humble opinion is the university doesn't give 2 hoots about accurate info-as long as the parking permit fee is paid, it's all good, IMO OF COURSE. LE is dealing with the records they have.

Well, the campus police probably care. It's always the non-compliant permit holders who double park, use two spaces, park in fire zones (according to the campus police I know - there's probably some confirmation bias in there, but still).

The university will likely start to care now. It's goes in cycles. If it's online, they need to get someone to write code so the form cannot be submitted if not complete.

Students do this (omit the contact AND the plate, but especially the plate, because that way they can share a permit, which is of course yet another example of minor rule-breaking. Universities look the other way a lot, and sometimes even when the rules broken are fairly serious.

I continue to go back to the idea that the house/occupants were the target, so yes, it is a targeted attack but not in the sense of one particular person was targeted due to a grievance as such.

IMO the killer targeted that house for whatever reason - house full of young girls, knew the lay out well from parties, was a good house to watch, etc. any of the above or other. I think the killer went there for the kill itself, not to end the life of that particular individual.

So would you say this crime is in the category of "thrill killing" or "excitement killing" or "I just want to kill" type of killer? Usually, it's a serial killer that ends up classified this way, but I don't see why we wouldn't have a mass murder of the same type.

The way you wrote it up, it sounds like the killer is a bit closer to an ideological mass murderer (one who hates a particular group or even an idea). "Young girls" is only a draw if there's a sexual interest, IME (why would anyone be drawn to a house with young, attractive women? Because...they're young attractive women; so that's a bit of a sexual motivation IMO).

But the thrill of the kill itself is a possible motive/or mindset (it's so hard to know). I've interviewed rapists who've said, "I just wanted to, so I did it" (and then describe their victimology briefly - pretty similar to what you said, "the girl was pretty and so...") One man said that he also sought certain kinds of housing (for some reason he believed young women who lived alone upstairs with outdoor staircases to be better targets) but he couldn't say exactly why. He was one of those knock on the door, push his way end kind of rapists. Never had any intent to kill victims.

I too have an issue with them not releasing actual footage of the car. I hesitate, however, to make any assumptions as to why. There are all kinds of reasons they wouldn't release actual footage even if they don't know who the car belongs to. The most important indication to me that they don't know whose car it is is that they disclosed the car to the public and are asking for assistance in locating it and/or the occupant(s). They simply wouldn't do that if they knew or suspected they knew who was driving it. Why clog up their tip lines with tens of thousands of unnecessary calls if they suspect they know whose car it is? Why state publicly that they have to sort through 22,000 registered Elantras to try to find the one? That makes no sense to me.

Maybe the car they are looking for has an identifying mark ie dented fender, significant scratch etc they want to keep that private so they can identify it quickly from al the others. Also it keeps any vigilante from finding the car (or one he thinks it is) and taking the law into his own hands based on that identifying mark?

BBM. As I said in an earlier post, IMO I believe the arrival time came from the two surviving housemates.
Moo, I supposed E and X cellular phone could have also automatically connected to their home WiFi. LE were probably required to get a warrant to access historical cellphone (records) location information hence a conflicting timeline in the beginning. Once this records were accessed, they can definitively share without a doubt a more accurate time as to when the couple arrived back to her apartment.

Xana during a noise complaint call to the house.
That was the second complaint call in two hours, and was likely the same evening as the other noise complaint call that we have seen, when one of the surviving roommates came to the door. The responding officer told her they could hear the music before they even pulled up to the house.

It really does sound like that house was party central. I have really never given any consideration to the chance that they may have been murdered by an irate neighbor, or someone connected to a neighbor, but now I may not rule it out. It doesn't seem that the tenants were especially considerate neighbors, as far as noise goes. I wonder how many of their close neighbors were non-students. I hope they have all been questioned and interviewed. JMO

Last edited:
Jumping ahead to post forgive me if covered.

Exactly
Also, to the best of my knowledge, there has been no information of what all 6 of these young people were doing Saturday day or Friday night...could something of happened in the 24-48 hours before the timeline picks up at 8pm (ish) on the 12th?
We do in fact know what they were doing on Saturday. MOO.

Idaho murders: 90 white Elantras were registered to park on campus as cops struggle to find vehicle

Yet remember when LE released the info about the Elantra and many were certain there were barely any left on the road.

I think it's interesting because multiple reporters have said, over last few weeks, that many businesses - including specifically the Corner Club - refused to speak to the media. ( Speaking only with LE)
Last reporter I heard saying this was Entin. ( I can't recall names of all the rest now.)

If those accounts are true I can't see why an owner/ owner manager would want to put the image out there. An employee maybe although IDK what the motive would be because it's not as if the motive was financial - wasn't sold to one of the big tabloids or networks. Plus, ofc, LE would already have had all the cam footage & maybe this still image is also not of probative value.

Maybe somebody's just looking to stir things up?
BBM. Yes and to fit their narrative about K's ex. Plenty people speculating it is him. However if you look at an image of K and JD on K's instagram you can see the height difference between the two. Seems it doesn't fit some peoples narrative when comparing to the Corner Club still image. All MOO

Last edited:
That was the second complaint call in two hours, and was likely the same evening as the other noise complaint call that we have seen, when one of the surviving roommates came to the door. The responding officer told her they could hear the music before they even pulled up to the house.

It really does sound like that house was party central. I have really never given any consideration to the chance that they may have been murdered by a neighbor, or someone connected to a neighbor, but now I may not rule it out. I wonder how many of their close neighbors were non-students. I hope they have all been questioned and interviewed. JMO
I wonder if they were getting many noise complaints about 1122 King during the 2021-22 school year or was this new? Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper