ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, apparently I'm confused. I've heard both top and first floors and then the first floor most recently. I'll go with your take on it.
2nd and 3rd floors were where the murders were according to Snell

Snipped from the article:

"2 a.m. to 5 a.m.
This is when Latah County Coroner Cathy Mabbutt said the homicides occurred. Moscow Mayor Art Bettge previously told the Statesman that police told him they believed the deaths were 3-4 a.m."
Thank you! I totally missed that headline. I think that is creative writing again. JMHO

I'm not seeing where it says the two survivors stayed home all night?
It doesn't say that specifically, you're right. I took the line to mean that they had stayed home all night, as the prior line gave us the victims whereabouts prior to the murders. I inferred that information from the context. imo

Looking at a map to get a sense of the surroundings.

Did this killer come on foot, maybe had a car parked close by, a bicycle ?
Anyone know what those two rectangular buildings with white roofs are? Businesses, warehouses, apartments?
Is that a strip mall at the top? That would have cameras I expect.

If he/they came in the house through the sliders in the back and left the same way, and through that little wooded area...then from where, and to where to escape.
Was he parked, if by car, in one of those lots...are there any cameras?

Had a case some years ago in my area....a lawyer working on a high profile case was assassinated with a rifle in his driveway in a residential cul de sac. No surveillance whatsoever, no cars entered or left the road in the time frame. He had parked some distance away and climbed up by way of a canyon. It's never been solved.

As for here, seems to me some unknown psycho serial killer would not choose a location like this, but who knows, he could have come across these students in some fashion and and plotted the murders.
A crazed neighbour fed up with the parties? Or a jealous rejected individual out for revenge.

Really hope the authorities have a LOT to work with, that they are keeping quiet.

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 9.48.36 AM.jpeg

Something I haven't seen anyone suggest yet, is the possibility that the killer didn't enter just before the murder, but perhaps entered much earlier, (maybe not even through the sliding doors) and hid in Kaylee's or MM's closet (or under the bed, or whatever) for a while and waited for his victim(s) to come home and go to bed before attacking.

It's been 40 years since I was in college, but I remember back then, in any similar situation, with 6 students living in one house, there would be a constant stream of visitors in and out...especially on a weekend...it might be hard to keep track of all of them.
Yes . I did post that possibility.

My thoughts regarding the multiple calls keeps vacillating from them being totally benign and normal college-aged behavior, especially after a night out, to being inextricably linked to the 3-4a timeline that LE have given for when they believe the deaths occurred.

One scenario that I keep coming back to: Could the girls have caught sight of a person outside, or heard someone, but have also potentially or loosely expected someone — or because they’re young and it’s the weekend and they live in a neighborhood surrounded by young people with a frat house just down the road it’s not out of the question for people to be “out” even if it’s late — so instead of calling 911, they repeatedly called the person they thought it might be (or could reasonably be) to see if it was them? This is a stretch, but also something I could see myself and a friend doing if we were together and freaked out but also a little drunk and didn’t want to call the cops.

- I can’t keep straight whether this person that was called by KG and MM was supposedly out of town, or if that was another person that’s been mentioned, as there are a few similarly-initialed friends and exes that have been thrown in the mix. Has it been clarified in MSM whether this person was in the area at the time of the calls?

On a different note:
- Has it been confirmed that XK and EC were home alone? I haven’t really seen much about their activities that night besides the idea that it’s odd that there is a gap in their timeline between when they were at the party and when they were home. Is it possible they were hanging out with friends or a friend? Drinks at home since too young for the bar, or someone over gaming maybe? That might track with the theory that the other roommates would retreat to their rooms (knew there was partying, wanted to avoid other people/noise).
- I think it’s relevant that police expanded the crime scene tape to a larger part of the parking lot, and focused on the dumpsters so heavily. While that could be interpreted as looking into how a stranger would get away and where they would throw something, I also have to believe that they’re looking very closely at all the people who lived in close proximity to the victims, and scrutinizing where they would throw something away. In other words, neighbors. These are strangers, perhaps, but with more opportunity for crime. Not accusing! Just considering and observing.
- With regard to the police changing the characterization of the ride home to a private service, that could be as simple as it being a brand name issue, such as it was Lyft and not Uber. Also, in small towns that I’ve lived in before, there have been people that operated what was basically known as the drunk bus, which was someone that would go around and give people a ride home from the bars (for money, but not exactly a formal operation on account of needing a taxi license, etc.). Maybe this is how KG and MM were able to time their food and a ride home so well, i.e. they were were texting with their ride. Someone running their own informal operation would be more likely to be more chill about waiting than an Uber driver, who has constraints within the app itself to deal with.

All the above are MOO for the sake of thinking about different scenarios other than the ones we’ve been kicking around already.
(Edited to add a forgotten word)

Last edited:
Looking at a map to get a sense of the surroundings.

Did this killer come on foot, maybe had a car parked close by, a bicycle ?
Anyone know what those two rectangular buildings with white roofs are? Businesses, warehouses, apartments?
Is that a strip mall at the top? That would have cameras I expect.

If he/they came in the house through the sliders in the back and left the same way, and through that little wooded area...then from where, and to where to escape.
Was he parked, if by car, in one of those lots...are there any cameras?

Had a case some years ago in my area....a lawyer working on a high profile case was assassinated with a rifle in his driveway in a residential cul de sac. No surveillance whatsoever, no cars entered or left the road in the time frame. He had parked some distance away and climbed up by way of a canyon. It's never been solved.

As for here, seems to me some unknown psycho serial killer would not choose a location like this, but who knows, he could have come across these students in some fashion and and plotted the murders.
A crazed neighbour fed up with the parties? Or a jealous rejected individual out for revenge.

Really hope the authorities have a LOT to work with, that they are keeping quiet.

View attachment 380967
And where did he GO after? Had to have been bloody I would think. What happened to his clothes? Did he have roommates?

Sorry, apparently I'm confused. I've heard both top and first floors and then the first floor most recently. I'll go with your take on it.
My take on it is that we need more clarity, there is so much conflicting information in this case that it's hard to know who was where and when. Hopefully LE isn't as confused as we are. o_O

To guess why , imho,scenario one could be like this…. once I thought someone was breaking into my house when my husband was out of town. I was young. I called him in Kansas first. I was scared. He said if you REALLY think someone’s breaking in why aren’t you calling 911? Good point. But I wasn’t positive and I didn’t want to call the police and make a fool of myself and bother them if nothing was amiss. So after speaking to husband I did call 911. Scenario two, in my youth when I came home after a few drinks I called my ex trying to make up and invite him over in a moment of alcohol induced romantic sentimentality that would often fade with the dawn. I imagine those calls could fit into either category possibly. Being scared and wanting him to come over or feeling affectionate and wanting to talk.
Agree fully! I grew up under th '911 is not a joke' and never wanted to call unnecessarily. But, the few times I was scared enough, I would call a friend. And, luckily in my cases, I was right to think nothing was wrong...

We can come up with reasons she didn't call, but thankfully we were not in her position. She did what she felt she needed to do ...that's even assuming that anything was going on at that moment other than a gf who was possibly inebriated and wanted to hang with her bf.

These were very young adults, barely out of their teens, who were in a small town, with people they trusted, living good lives...a comfort zone that maybe some of us have grown jaded with, so of course we act differently in our own daily lives (locking doors, calling 911, etc.)

IMO, the repeated calls in such a short time frame are likely to get past the do not disturb function. I have 3 in college and this is just what they do. Phone goes on do not disturb, but if you call multiple times in a row, you’ll get past that feature.

Agree fully! I grew up under th '911 is not a joke' and never wanted to call unnecessarily. But, the few times I was scared enough, I would call a friend. And, luckily in my cases, I was right to think nothing was wrong...

We can come up with reasons she didn't call, but thankfully we were not in her position. She did what she felt she needed to do ...that's even assuming that anything was going on at that moment other than a gf who was possibly inebriated and wanted to hang with her bf.

These were very young adults, barely out of their teens, who were in a small town, with people they trusted, living good lives...a comfort zone that maybe some of us have grown jaded with, so of course we act differently in our own daily lives (locking doors, calling 911, etc.)

I was raised differently. Someone that worked in LE always told me, if at any moment you feel like you need to call 911, don’t hesitate. Every time I’ve called which was non-emergency vs emergency, it didn’t matter. The operator on the phone said it’s a good thing you called, bc better safe than sorry.

Somebody out there, possibly home on thanksgiving break is acting weird to family and friends. You don't just take out 4 people in this manner and not be acting differently.

I've been thinking about that too, whoever did this has got to be having at least SOME issues dealing with it. Unless they are a total loner, family or friends would would sense something. If this is their first time murdering anyone I doubt they could compartmentalize anything this horrendous. Unless they were extremely drunk and/or high on drugs during the crime. Probably continuing to drink and drug afterward. I wonder if he's from Moscow, if so, i have a hard time believing he'd stay in the area after this. Of course since so many students have left town that makes things more complicated for LE.

"This is a gruesome and heartbreaking tragedy," Uber communications manager Navideh Forghani told Fox News Digital when asked whether Uber provided a ride to Mogen and Goncalvez. "It looks like Moscow police update the release to say a ‘private party.’ We have no record of the victims ordering a trip."

Here's a dumb question: has anyone checked with Lyft? I know in Boise Lyft is actually more common (or at least was a couple years ago)

I will agree with all of this as well. I have also been alone with hubby out of town, called him first and he said the same thing " Call 911" So I did. All turned out just fine and the police were responsive and kind.

Women often have been conditioned to doubt ourselves and not create an unnecessary fuss, it is hard to overcome but sometimes our lives depend upon it. MOO

This is such a simple theory but I don’t think I saw it mentioned. Has LE checked recent noise complaints. Yes, neighbors know it’s lived in by college students and that implies parties, music. Nevertheless some may become quite impatient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truth Exposed