ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone from the US explain gun laws/access to guns in the state of Idaho. IMO the fact the perp(s) used a knife instead of a gun, in a country where guns are widely accessible, is interesting. A gun with a silencer (even an improvised one) would be less gruesome, quicker, and easier to commit four murders.

It potentially suggests the perp(s) have a fascination with violence and gore and possibly that they were younger than the legal age to own a gun, so instead opted for a large knife, which I assume is much easier to get your hands on. Either way I think this looks like an act of opportunity IMO, but likely someone who is or was familiar with the area as a student long ago, possibly regularly looks through dorm windows, a peeping tom of sorts, broken into homes before and had escalating behaviour.

Note: The reason I say perp(s) is because there may have been more than one involved, with one taking each floor and then leaving together, as others have pointed out four victims in such a short space of time is a lot and as there was no known sexual motive, which would typically be committed alone with the victim. There is also the incel angle, which has a loose sexual motive of wanting to kill pretty girls and possibly men who are associated with them.

1. Guns are traceable for the most part and can be used specifically in signature forensics a lot easier than a knife. So, if LE ever found the gun that was used: you’ll find the killer as well. Also, silencers aren’t like in the movies: they’re still rather loud and don’t muffle all the noise.

2. The act of killing with a gun is way less gruesome and way less personal than overpowering someone and plunging a knife in
their chest and watching the life leave their eyes through exsanguination.

3. Because it’s literally just as easy to obtain a gun as it is a knife, this must speak to the psychological profile of someone who decides to kill 4 other people in that manner: It’s obviously not just about wanting to kill— (that can be managed several other ways that are less personal and less messy; i.e. Guns, a house fire, etc…) it’s the manner in which this person did it and that’s also probably why the FBI and the Behavioral Units have been called because of the brutality of the crimes and the nature of the murders.

4. I’m assuming the Medical Examiner will also be able to ascertain if there was more than one killer by the signature of the knife wounds— if all of them are mostly consistent: it’s probably just one killer. I think it’s also just one perpetrator because it takes a special kind of killer to murder this way and finding a buddy to do it with you creates many more possibilities of problems.

5. I agree that it was probably random and IMO, I think it’s a Thrill Killer which is a serial killer subtype also as evidenced by the FBI on scene. These types of killers can obtain sexual gratification just by the act of killing, so there still could be a sexual component to the crimes, just not in the normal sphere of most killers.

The two roommates that were NOT attacked had bedrooms on the first floor. Several WS-approved sources have quoted LE that the dead victims were on the two upper floors of the three floor house.
Here is one of the sites:

(Idaho State Police Communications Director Aaron Snell)
“The victims were found on the second and third floors of their home, Snell told CNN.”
That was really kind of you SortaSleuthy. I spent some time trying to find a good link for the OP's question, but kept getting sidetracked. lol.

I am purely speculating, but I have to think there was a lot of blood. If there was a trail leading out of the house, and nowhere near the way to get to the other roommates space, that would lead LE to mostly rule the other roommate out. So maybe male or female wouldn't matter?
It does make me wonder if they found bloody footprints outside.

NYT article answers an important question many have about the number of phone calls: "She also said that the number of calls was not unusual: Kaylee Goncalves would frequently call people until they picked up, even to ask a mundane question like what she should have for breakfast, her sister said"

There's just no way on earth I think a woman committed this crime. I could be very wrong but I would be shocked if the killer isn't male.

I feel for the surviving roomates. What a horror to have your friends killed and then people suspect you of being the killers.
I agree! This crime was way too physical, for the average woman to commit.

Is there snow on the ground there right now? You would definitely be able to see blood trails.

Since police said it was the bloodiest crime scene they’d ever seen, how does the killer just walk out of the house without leaving any evidence? I’d presume there’d be some bloody footprints, blood droplets, etc. but police are making it sound like they have nothing. You’d have quite a bit of blood on your clothing after stabbing 4 individuals multiple times, and would have been forced to climb a flight of stairs at least once since victims were on different floors, plenty of opportunities to leave behind evidence. not to mention does this blood covered individual just walk out the front door and walk home blood soaked?
I agree. There had to have been blood everywhere in him. He could have worn PPE and/or just brought a backpack with a trash bag and a change of clothes and simply walked back in the woods.

My thoughts on the knife. The “special” KaBar knife is serrated on one side by the sheath. My thinking, imho, is that based on the appearance of the wounds, LE may have been able to deduce this size and type of blade and this is why they are calling it a KaBar type knife and not just a 7 inch knife when they went around looking for recent purchases.
This is the blade they may suspect it is

Last edited:
NYT article answers an important question many have about the number of phone calls: "She also said that the number of calls was not unusual: Kaylee Goncalves would frequently call people until they picked up, even to ask a mundane question like what she should have for breakfast, her sister said"
Almost like they have been reading here and got us the exact info we needed. Lol love the NYT!

If it’s one offender (I theorize it is),
And one knife (I theorize it is),
Assuming no victim was found gravitationally above another (I theorize that’s true),
DNA is going to reveal the sequence.
First victim will have only his or her own blood and *maybe* (hopefully) the offender’s.
Second victim will have DNA of first in wound plus maybe offender,
And so on.

Gruesome to consider (my apologies) but one example of the enormous importance of forensics in this case.

Since police said it was the bloodiest crime scene they’d ever seen, how does the killer just walk out of the house without leaving any evidence? I’d presume there’d be some bloody footprints, blood droplets, etc. but police are making it sound like they have nothing. You’d have quite a bit of blood on your clothing after stabbing 4 individuals multiple times, and would have been forced to climb a flight of stairs at least once since victims were on different floors, plenty of opportunities to leave behind evidence. not to mention does this blood covered individual just walk out the front door and walk home blood soaked?
What about changing into clothes from the male victim's closet/pile on the floor and taking the bloody stuff with in a bag? Or taking a clothes change for later? It's just a thought.

Since reports have come out that M&K took a private ride home from the food truck, I wonder if E&X or the other roommates could have made the quick trip to pick them up, thus explaining how they all ended up at home @1:45?

MOO
It has been reported by the sister that they took an uber.

If it was targeted, why kill all four people? Why not just whoever was the target? If the person knew who they were and was at the house before, wouldn't they have known about the other two girls? Why kill just the other four and not everyone?

If it was a jealous ex, why kill all four and not just the girl that was targeted? The fact that they got in and out with no struggle, and killed four people with one knife so quietly no one else in the house was awakened, and the neighbors didn't hear or see anything makes me feel like it was someone more experienced or had this very planned out. Not really some jealous ex boyfriend college kid.

It almost seems like they weren't familiar with the house and didn't realize there were more bedrooms on the lower level. So they just killed everyone in the bedrooms upstairs. Thrill seeking?

It is awful and I feel so bad for all involved. I cannot imagine the pain they must feel.
I agree. I think the killer wasn’t familiar with the layout. IMO they entered through the sliding glass door on second floor. Even if he/she looked down the stairs they probably would’ve thought it was just an entry to basement.

Would like to hear everyone’s takes on how they think the person/persons who did this left the scene?

I feel like on foot is quite unlikely as they most likely were covered in blood? But then again car would be quite likely to wake the other roommates or have neighbours notice?

Unless they lived close by or were a neighbour and didn’t need a vehicle to leave, but then there would have to be a scent trail/blood trail that is would be detected by dogs surely?

There is so much I just can’t get my head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper