ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 41 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the average person in Pennsylvania even know that Idaho is adjacent to Washington? Does his social circle/family in Pennsylvania know that his branch of WSU is that close to the Idaho border? Do they know that the UOI branch is in Moscow? Geography isn’t many people’s strong point, especially when it comes to obscure towns many states away.
I live in North Carolina and know the states are adjacent but I didn’t realize the colleges are so close to each other. I did go the county level of the geography bee in the 5th grade though which I credit to a broken chalk board roll up map and adhd. So states yes, colleges? Doubt it.

Yes, but I hadn't followed it closely enough to know who his attorneys were. I just looked it up, so now I see who you're talking about. This perp would definitely be in her wheelhouse.
Yes, I'm all for a fair trial, and I do think prosecutorial misconduct is indefensible, but there are some lines, esp as a woman, I'd have to draw, and Barry Morphew is def one of them.

I am so torn on this. As a mother I truly feel for these parents. On another hand, if he is so psycho where did that come from? Are they weirdos, too? It is the whole nature vs. nurture argument. Are people born this way? Or did something creepy happen in his childhood. I feel guilty about everything that has to do with motherhood. I would blame myself 100% if my son did something like this.
imo, the best any of us can do is acknowledge the difficult situation and accept the conflicting emotions (empathy, sympathy, blame, etc.) and know that if we're feeling this, the parents must be reeling, if they're at all decent people. Hate and anger at the parents doesn't help the victims, the other families, nor does it do any of us any good. jmo imo.

also, I just saw that the HE is a 2015, so that and denial could explain a bit.

BK is likely IMO to a planning thrill-killer a la Stephen McDaniel, someone who sees himself though a Nietzschean and/or fanfiction lens, and for whom the act of murder is a heroic act of self-knowing, and the ultimate subversion of stuffy social moresm blah blah blah.
I thought organized thrill kill pretty early on, but I never predicted he would have been a dumb one imo jmo.

"We have a suspect in custody who we believe murdered these four students, but the investigation is still ongoing" - Is an example of the wording they would normally use.
I was responding to the question in the comment originally quoted - “Is he allowed to definitively say BK is the killer like this? Couldn't this violate his rights and cause an unfair trial?”

It’s not irregular to me considering they wouldn’t have arrested and charged him if they didn’t think he was the killer.

Probably reading too much into it and just too many semantics for a very tired LE officer.

In the press conference when chief fry was asked if the community was safe, he said "We have an individual in custody who committed these horrible crimes". Is he allowed to definitively say BK is the killer like this? Could this violate his rights and cause an unfair trial? I do believe LE has strong evidence that makes them as certain as can be that he is the killer, but its the courts job to determine guilt, not LE.

Presumption of Innocence: "First, according to the United Nations Human Rights Committee, the presumption is breached where public officials prejudge the outcome of a trial (General Comment no. 13, paragraph 7). Public officials include judges, prosecutors, the police, and government officials, all of whom must avoid making public statements of the guilt of an individual prior to a conviction or after an acquittal. It is permissible, however, for the authorities to inform the public of the name of a suspect and that the person has been arrested or has made a confession, as long as the person is not publicly declared guilty (see the European Court of Human Rights case of Worm v. Austria, application no. 83/1996/702/894 [August 29, 1997], paragraph 52)."

I want to add that i'm not trying to be nit picky and I think LE has done a great job protecting the integrity of the investigation. I am just curious how/if he can say this.
Police, prosecutors, etc...enjoy "qualified immunity."

"The qualified immunity defense protects police and other government officials from civil litigation in certain circumstances, permitting lawsuits only when an individual's "clearly established" statutory or constitutional rights have been violated.Oct 11, 2022"

Here is another small piece of media I found on the alleged suspect....(I hate saying his name bc I don't want it to retrieve more Google results than the 4 this whole thing is REALLY about).

I apologize in advance if this isn't allowed. I was only able to find this news clip thru FB...

Here's one easy google find on his becoming aggressive.

Recalling how their friendship soured, Mcloughlin added: 'He always wanted to fight somebody, he was bullying people. We started cutting him off from our friend group because he was 100 percent a different person.'

Orthorexia: Definition, Signs, Symptoms, and Treatment

https://www.healthline.com › Wellness Topics › Nutrition

However, for some people, a focus on healthy eating can become obsessive and develop into an eating disorder known as orthorexia, or orthorexia nervosa.

As they say, denial is a helluva drug.

Isn't it? Plus, these killers (and rapists and others) keep on such a mask. They are good (maybe not excellent) observers, who are able to mimic being normal. And they probably try to convince themselves they are going to become normal.

I am guessing there are precipitating factors in this murderer's final breakdown. Such as poor grades, having to attend a real university with actual fellow students, living away from parental support, having his ideas challenged by someone, being in a position to continue some of his earlier behaviors (that are not legal) into a new situation.

Parents had no clue how far he could go. No one did.
Very interesting post and ideas.

My 5p take on the "survey" was that it read as oddly amateurish and poorly-constructed for generating useful qualitative content. I'm a bit surprised that something like it would be approved for post-graduate release and am not sure how it would have passed required ethics boards or been deployed within subject populations (source: I research, teach and supervise at an R15 uni).

BK is likely IMO to a planning thrill-killer a la Stephen McDaniel, someone who sees himself though a Nietzschean and/or fanfiction lens, and for whom the act of murder is a heroic act of self-knowing, and the ultimate subversion of stuffy social moresm blah blah blah.

It's all boll*cks of course, and he will also be the guy who gets het up about someone queue-jumping at an ice-cream stand, but my guess is that when the truth of his "** why ** emerges, it will be sad, stupid and self-glorifying, and won't enlarge human knowledge one whit.

And it was the white Elantra, after all. Fine work by LE and I look forward to the day when we can all forget BK and remember the dead.

Well yes. But have you heard professors writing and speaking about this very problem? First of all, his was not the most rigorous course of study (and he was still in school at 28 and we have only that survey as evidence of his "research.")

Oddly amateurish? Yes, but with good professors, that wouldn't have happened, IMO. And with a strong university that has a human subjects protocol, he'd have never gotten anywhere near using that survey.

I think we'll find some ideological component to these crimes. And it won't enlarge our understanding of humans-in-general at all, but might make some people - especially college students - more suspicious of the people around them (not necessarily a good thing).

What this case does do is reinforce that LE, with its techniques, knows what it's doing after all.

Here is another small piece of media I found on the alleged suspect....(I hate saying his name bc I don't want it to retrieve more Google results than the 4 this whole thing is REALLY about).

I apologize in advance if this isn't allowed. I was only able to find this news clip thru FB...

If it is true that LE was on to BK four days before the arrest, I wonder if the professional crime scene cleanup was a ruse to make BK let his guard down while they kept eyes on him.

MOO- The pictures I've seen in MSM of the cleaning crew's truck backed up to the front door show that the entire entrance is tented and completely covered to the ground, and sealed over the rear of the truck. We don't know if they removed or deep-cleaned anything. I'm talking about pictures that have been repeatedly linked from various MSM sources so MOO.
Do we know if K & M’s celebration of life still happened this evening?

"The 28-year-old grad student charged with killing four University of Idaho students in their sleep undertook a research project that asked ex-cons to map out how they committed their crimes, and took courses by the famed forensic psychologist Katherine Ramsland, who has written 68 books including How to Catch a Killer, The Psychology of Death Investigations, and The Mind of a Murderer."

In a since-removed post on Reddit from seven months ago, Kohberger asked ex-cons to participate in a DeSales research project that sought to “understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime.”

The research project, which was taken offline Friday, asked participants questions like how they approached their victim or target, how they prepared for the crime, how they traveled to and entered the location of the crime, and “Did you struggle with or fight the victim?”

One high school friend, Thomas Arntz, recalled Kohberger as a “bully” who he said would point out his friends’ “flaws and insecurities” to distract from his own struggles with his weight.

“He did that to me all the time,” Arntz told The Daily Beast. “He would go after my intelligence. He would basically insinuate that I’m kind of slow-witted and that I’m forgetful and [that] I lack the intelligence to be his friend.”

Arntz said he cut off his friendship with Kohberger because of the incessant bullying. He said his father and mother, a substitute teacher, were “genuinely kind people.” Arntz’s sister, Casey, said Kohberger told her after graduating that he had entered rehab.

Arntz said he was shocked by the news of Kohberger’s arrest, but not surprised. “He was mean-spirited, he was a bully,” he said. “I never thought he would do something like that but at the same time it doesn't really surprise me.”

Last edited:
So he does have a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice & he asked some telling {premeditation aforethought} questions in his research project, IMO:

"Kohberger completed his graduate studies in criminal justice this year at DeSales University, in Center Valley, Pennsylvania, where students told The Daily Beast he took classes with Prof. Ramsland, whose courses included “Psychology of Death Investigations.” Ramsland declined to comment when reached by The Daily Beast Friday.

A former classmate at DeSales, who asked not to be named, said they got into a disagreement with Kohberger during an introductory biology class group project. While they didn’t remember the conversation, they recalled Kohberger as “very intelligent” and “well spoken” but “seemingly detached.”

“He was very leveled and somewhat imposing. There wasn’t much emotion displayed by him,” the classmate said, adding that he remembers Kohberger’s “intense stare.”

“He took care with how he spoke,” the person said.

In a since-removed post on Reddit from seven months ago, Kohberger asked ex-cons to participate in a DeSales research project that sought to “understand how emotions and psychological traits influence decision-making when committing a crime.”

The research project, which has since been taken offline, asked participants questions like how they approached their victim or target, how they prepared for the crime, how they traveled to and entered the location of the crime, and “Did you struggle with or fight the victim?”

In a statement to The Daily Beast, DeSales confirmed Kohberger received a bachelor’s degree in 2020 and completed his graduate studies in June 2022. “As a Catholic, Salesian community, we are devastated by this senseless tragedy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims' families during this difficult time,” a spokesperson said.

Northampton Community College in Albrightsville confirmed to The Daily Beast that Kohberger graduated in 2018 as a psychology major. He was also employed as a part-time school security officer by the Pleasant Valley School District for several years until last year."

‘Detached’ Suspect in Idaho Murders Studied Under Famed Criminologist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member