ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The detectives said very early on that the victim/s were targeted, and I wonder what it was about the crime scene that gave them this impression. As has been discussed previously, one of these victims must have suffered more horrific injuries than the others and possibly something was taken from that room or left behind that hasn't been revealed. Maybe a cell phone was taken so no connection between the killer and the victim could be established?

The detectives said very early on that the victim/s were targeted, and I wonder what it was about the crime scene that gave them this impression. As has been discussed previously, one of these victims must have suffered more horrific injuries than the others and possibly something was taken from that room or left behind that hasn't been revealed. Maybe a cell phone was taken so no connection between the killer and the victim could be established?
That’s what I’m thinking. They said it was targeted, but the public were safe. The police also didn’t go into the house immediately when this is a low crime area. Hopefully if this scenario is true they have something close to the chest they’re keeping…very close to the chest.

In an update posted on Saturday night, the Moscow Police Department said that the 911 call made at 11:58 a.m. on Sunday was placed "on one of the roommates’ cell phone."

"At 2:26 a.m., Kaylee starts to call Jack," Alivea Goncalves told the outlet. "Kaylee calls Jack six times between 2:26 a.m. and 2:44 a.m. From 2:44 to 2:52 Maddie calls Jack three times, then Kaylee makes a final call to him at 2:52 a.m."

Officials said that they are "aware" of several phone calls that Mogen and Goncalves made to a male, and added that it's part of the investigation.

The victims were on the second and third floors of the house, according to the press release.

…..

Bodies on second/third floor, blood oozing from ground level.

Sickening

I think during this news conference today, they will release a composite sketch of a potential suspect or a picture of a vehicle they are searching for. They may clarify some information regarding rumors and such but they won't be releasing anymore facts or evidence in the case.

My current theory is that, after returning home, the four victims were together for a time in the common area when the Killer stopped by. They let him in thtough the sliders. He was well inown to them…a boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, frat brother, co-worker. A nasty argument ensued…loud enough for the survivors to be aware, but not clear enough to discern the problem. This makes them important witnesses,

My guess is that, although the killer’s ‘issue’ is with one of the victims… the four victims were all on the same ‘side’ of this argument…and the Killer therefore became enraged at all four of them. They tell him to leave and he does, through the sliders again.

Now they go to their respective rooms. I do think the girls might have been sharing a room, because Kaylee might have already moved her stuff out and was just up for the weekend. After this confrontation, the girls try to call J the Ex.…either to tell him about the fight, get his advice, or to smooth things over if he was the one they were arguing with. My guess is he has a rock solid alibi from the affectionate way the sister refers to him. Anyway…as we know, the girls had no luck with those calls.

The Killer…infuriated goes home, gets the knife, and lets himself back in through the sliders. Due to the excitement of the confrontation, no one remembers to lock it again. He kills the 4 who he is still raging at…has no interest in the un-involved roommates downstairs. This coincides with the “targeted” remark by LE and why they felt initially that no one else was at risk. In other words, this was not a stranger thrill killing.

Those surviving roommates sleep in. A friend comes by…through their lower door. One of them goes upstairs, sees something, and they all panic and the visitor uses the first phone they grab. They are outside the house when LE comes.

Last edited:
I think there could be some other explanations for the 911 call information we have so far.
On cell phones 911 can be called in several ways without actually pressing 911. iPhones can be set up to call after rapidly clicking the side button a certain number of times depending on how you have it in your emergency settings. With that in mind, maybe one of the victims was able to do that. But then without a response or little response to the 911 operator, the call became an unconscious person. My second thought is this…what if the 911 call want in reference to the victims at all. What if one of the surviving roommates called 911 because the other surviving roommate (on the same floor so probably saw her first upon awakening) seemed unconscious (for some reason unrelated to the crime), without any knowledge of the crime and not having gone to the other floors yet. I know this sounds too coincidental, but it’s a possibility.

If the phone call to report the crime is as has been described on here and in the press, I’d suggest that it is at best very odd.

Firstly calling to report an unconscious individual? Really? Doesn’t particularly correlate to the LE descriptions that this was one of the worst crime scenes they have ever seen and apparently very graphic. You would think from the LE comments that it would be pretty evident the individuals were dead. Why would someone report as unconscious or what potential motivation might they have to do so.

Secondly, using one of the deceased phones. Big question is if it was picked up away from the crime scene or the individual took it from close to/off the body. If the latter you could certainly question was it an attempt to explain away their dna on on the crime scene. Pretty futile probably in this case with 3 other separate murders but very odd in a World where it’s very unusual for people, particularly in this demographic, not to have their own smartphones.

There is a potential that could they have just seen one of the victims heads lying in a doorway or similar but not the graphic nature of the crime but human reaction in that case would usually be to go and see if they could help. And the other potential that they saw through a window only a tiny part of the scene but couldn’t get in doesn’t align with how they could then get the housemates phone to call in the first place.

Whichever angle you look at it from it’s hard to envisage how and why simultaneously someone would be able to get the phone, not use their own in the first place, and only see enough to report the individual as unconscious at a supposedly very horrific crime scene.

Could be semantics but definitely strange to say the least

My current theory is that, after returning home, the four victims were together for a time in the common area when the Killer stopped by. They let him in thtough the sliders. He was well inown to them…a boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, frat brother, co-worker. A nasty argument ensued…loud enough for the survivors to be aware, but not clear enough to discern the problem. This makes them important witnesses,

My guess is that, although the killer’s ‘issue’ is with one of the victims… the four victims were all on the same ‘side’ of this argument…and the Killer therefore became enraged at all four of them. They tell him to leave and he does, through the sliders again.

Now they go to their respective rooms. I do think the girls might have been sharing a room, because Kaylee might have already moved her stuff out and was just up for the weekend. After this confrontation, the girls try to call J the Ex.…either to tell him about the fight, get his advice, or to smooth things over if he was the one they were arguing with. My guess us he has a rock solid alibi from the affectionate way the sister refers to him. Anyway…as we inow, the girls had no luck with those calls.

The Killer…infuriated goes home, gets the knife, and lets himself back in through the sliders. Due to the excitement of the confrontation, no one remembers to lock it again. He kills the 4 who he is still raging at…has no interest in the un-involved roommates downstairs. This coincides with the “targeted” remark by LE and why they felt initially that no one else was at risk. In other words, this was not a stranger thrill killing.

Those surviving roommates sleep in. A friend comes by…through their lower door. One of them goes upstairs, sees something, and they all panic and the visitor uses the first phone they grab. They are outside the house when LE comes.
Good theory. And more plausible then a lot of the insane theories going around.

One thing I’ve thought about is that if the killer knew them enough to have hung out there before, his phone is likely to have been connected to their Wi-Fi. The router data will show exactly which devices were connected between 3-5am.

just moo. I think the target was one or both of the 2 girls who had bedrooms on the 3rd floor. I think the person knew whose bedroom they wanted to go to. I'm thinking the target was the girl who was there for the weekend. They went into that bedroom and found both girls were sleeping in it so both were killed. Then on their way back downstairs they ran into E and then X and so as not to leave any witnesses they were stabbed too. All of the sudden they had just killed 4 people when it was intended to be only 1. They got the heck out of there before they ran into anyone else.
Whatever bedroom they were found in that was the intended target

Last edited:
Exactly. All they knew — or are saying they knew — was someone was “unconscious.” In a college town with a lot of partying, I don’t know why they wouldn’t have just went in. I’d assume these are just about the only calls they get. Why would that be the first thing they think of when they only had ten reported violent crimes in 2021?
And why no emergency vehicles (eg paramedics or emts)? I do feel more was said on that call so the police knew. Esp if they were outside when police arrived. I’ve not seen any discussion from neighbors about what kind of emergency vehicles were in scene other than police

MOO Just pondering but I'm wondering if maybe the relationship breakdown between Kaylee and her ex J wasn't as amicable as some people are saying. Maybe they are saying the "amicable breakup story" for a reason (i.e. not to spook somebody).
I have noticed that on Kaylee's insta (and please delete if this isn't allowed ... but it's not hearsay, or saying something that I've heard 3rd hand on social media) but on her page the last photo of her and her ex together was two years ago. I would have expected there to be more recent photos of them together if they've only just broken up (unless she has been deleting him from her page).
If she was ringing him about the dog, and he was refusing to answer - could it be that in an attempt to still tie her to him, he takes her somewhere where she sees an absolutely gorgeous puppy, and he suggests they could get him and share ownership. This might have suited her as she might have thought she was in a position to take care of the dog full time, but she would still get to see the dog and spend time with it whenever she wanted. But then when it became obvious that she was moving on in life without her ex, he might have started to use the dog like a divorced parent can sometimes use a child. Denying visitation, telling her that she couldn't have the dog unless they were a couple, using her love for the dog as a way of controlling her.
This is all pure conjecture, but just something I'd throw out there. MOO

Now they go to their respective rooms. I do think the girls might have been sharing a room, because Kaylee might have already moved her stuff out and was just up for the weekend. After this confrontation, the girls try to call J the Ex.…either to tell him about the fight, get his advice, or to smooth things over if he was the one they were arguing with. My guess us he has a rock solid alibi from the affectionate way the sister refers to him. Anyway…as we inow, the girls had no luck with those calls.

That chain of events did certainly look like a very plausible one but the key issue for me is the police and LE have not asked for any CCTV or information from the time period 1.45-3. Why?

Th are focusing and making public appeals for what happened between 3-6.

The fight and perpetrator returning to kill all happening after 3 AM is more unlikely imho. One because then we have to assume that their desperate attempts to contact J between 2.30-3 were related to something totally unrelated (possible) but then more far fetched to me is that there is no evidence from the sister or LE that anyone was contacted after 3 AM. Which you would think it there was a major fight or incident surely at least one of the 4 would have texted or called someone they knew to highlight the drama.

So it’s a vicious circle. Hard to see it all unfolding after 3 AM being certainly the two girls didn’t contact anyone after that. But the only other time it could have occurred is between 1.45-3 and if the police had suspicions on that then surely they would also be making public appeals for any cctv, car sightings, anything suspicious etc… in that timeframe.

Other option is something similar to what you describe happened but for whatever reason the individual was already armed with the hunting knife when it happened. But then there is a difficulty there that they were killed in their sleep (at least some) which doesn’t suggest a fight and murder occurred at the same time on the evening.

All opinion and sorry if these are repeat comments. It seems like a stalker might know who lives there and who could be there at a given time, if they routinely observe, or had observed that night. Could be a risky time for a potential crime. It also seems like they would have left digital footprints with repetitive social media viewings, assuming that's traceable. At minimum, wouldn't others have been told about them? So, wouldn't they quickly be on the LE's radar? Granted anything seems possible here.

I'm especially interested in the ride from the food truck. And whether it could have been a crime of opportunity that went extremely bad. In which case, I feel like there must be some forensic evidence. If they are asking for a large area for video, does that suggest they know/think a vehicle could be involved? Surely people don't just hop into ride sharing vehicles without an app or some trail, right? I would like to know if there is info how ride was paid for, assuming it wasn't cash/free. Knifes are easy to obtain, at least around here. I was at an antique mall the other day and literally anything sharp could be acquired, 15% off with cash payment. MOO.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted. BBM

SEPTEMBER 12, 2022

On Monday, September 12, 2022, a 'Vandal Alert' was issued on the University of Idaho Campus after an individual allegedly displayed a knife to a group of individuals near the Student Recreation Center and the Steam Plant on the U of I campus.

As of Thursday afternoon, police say that the suspect in the incident has been identified and is cooperating with the investigation. Police state that there is no risk to the public at this time.

ETA:

a follow up article

and this on September 13

BBM

22-M07793 Threatening

Incident Address: PARADISE CREEK ST; UI Rec Center

MOSCOW ID 83843

Disposition: ACT

Time Reported: 19:47

Cad Comments: Male pulled a knife on female and her sorority sisters when they were walking back from crumble. Officers responded, report taken.

just moo. I think the target was one of the 2 girls who had bedrooms on the 3rd floor. I think the person knew whose bedroom they wanted to go to. I'm thinking the target was the girl who was there for the weekend. They went into that bedroom and found both girls were sleeping in it so both were killed. Then on their way back downstairs they ran into E and then X and so as not to leave any witnesses they were stabbed too. All of the sudden they had just killed 4 people when it was intended to be only 1. They got the heck out of there before they ran into anyone else.
I'm thinking very similar.
I think the person entered through sliding door on 2nd floor. Went up the stairs to their intended target - I'm thinking Kaylee. Discovered both girls together and killed both. Back down the stairs to leave and possibly ran into Ethan, who either heard a noise and got up to check, or could have been doing something as simple as getting a drink of water. Killer attacks and (almost) kills him. Xana though still half asleep maybe hears something and yells out to Ethan asking him what is going on. Killer decides he can't risk her seeing him, so goes into the room and kills her (why she has the defensive wounds). Ethan may have dragged himself from the spot where he was originally stabbed (possibly to try and get to Xana) but is too weak from blood loss and dies. I'm thinking maybe somebody (possibly his friend who was supposed to catch up with him) saw his body either through the kitchen window or the sliding door. Entered the house, realised something is really wrong, spots a phone on the kitchen bench charging, and immediately dials 911.

and this on September 13

BBM

22-M07793 Threatening

Incident Address: PARADISE CREEK ST; UI Rec Center

MOSCOW ID 83843

Time Reported: 19:47

Cad Comments: Male pulled a knife on female and her sorority sisters when they were walking back from crumble. Officers responded, report taken.
Good find. Haven't seen this incident discussed anywhere but sorority sisters seems like a red flag..

I was looking at the recent police reports and this stood out to me. It’s very possible it could’ve just been a coincidence, but given how safe Moscow is described as being, it stood out.

Someone called the cops reporting someone knocked on their door and then walked away (presumably saying to someone else) “they have a big dog, try a different house.”

Given the potentially missing dog situation, it grabbed my attention.

22-M09939 Suspicious Person/Circumstance

Incident Address: E B ST & N VAN BUREN ST

MOSCOW ID 83843

Time Reported: 13:13, 11/14

Cad Comments:

Rp states someone knocked on their door and then walked away saying "they have a
big dog, try a different house".
Officer responded. No report.

Attachments

• 7803DAD8-ADF0-4BA3-8841-100AB5E3F79F.jpeg
    7803DAD8-ADF0-4BA3-8841-100AB5E3F79F.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Caller = Suspect in my opinion.
Which is why so many people don't want to get involved. Geez, some poor kid goes to check on his friend that he was trying to reach, sees a scene out of a horror movie, calls it in, and becomes "suspect #1".

Reminds me of that poor guy, Ray Kronk, finds the body of Caylee Anthony, calls it in, and gets dragged into a huge trial. I bet he wishes he never called LEO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic