ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm concerned about is that J received the calls and did nothing about it for the whole of Sunday morning.

Could've slept in (like the two surviving roommates) or there could be something going on.

The killer had to know the house very well to know which rooms to enter. Either from attending one of the girls' many parties OR being very close to one of them. (Or, from floor plans online. But they still wouldn't know who lived in which room.)

Usually crimes of this ferocity and calibre are the work of a man, not one or two girls. Though I could be proved wrong.

And did the dog bark? If not, why? Was it taken outside before the murders? Or was it familiar with the intruder?
I have thought that all along. It was someone they knew. Someone that knew the house. If everyone was in bed with lights out, how would a random person know where to go. Maybe I am overthinking it, but I could not go into a random house that I have never been inside of and navigate my way through the dark with out bumping into stuff.

I must admit I got the opposite. I don’t think they have a clue frankly
I agree. That is why they got the FBI so fast. This is very crazy for Moscow, ID. One of the "safest" places in the world.

Too bad for the owner of the house, I don't see anyone wanting to rent there. And it will be an active crime scene for awhile.

So do you think they have this suspect under surveillance?
Probably, IMO.
I'm going to read the transcript, but it just felt like a shift in the narrative away from - "we don't have a clue who did it." Of course, I could be wrong, but it sure seemed that way.

Ok, but he also didn't list all their other friends were cleared or their neighbor. He also didn't say the 911 caller was cleared until someone specifically asked him. He never said it was a complete list of everyone they cleared. Maybe if someone had asked was J cleared, he would have answered.
He was asked about J. He (LE) responded that J was not connected to the murders

So in the conference today they mentioned they believe it was targeted due to looking at the, "totality of the circumstances" at the crime scene. They also wouldn't comment on who they believe was targeted because of the ongoing investigation.(I wish the reporters followed up with the right questions)

I think they know who it was that was targeted. My question would be what the totality of circumstances he was referring to. Obviously there's the level of violence that would be used against one of the victims compared to other victims. I'm wondering what else. It's been awhile since my college days, do college kids still put up pictures on their walls? Maybe one of the pictures was taken down and ripped up? Or maybe somebody's purse or keys was thrown across the room in anger? Could it be text messages in relation to the outbound phone calls that were made that haven't been made public?

I'm just getting the impression they probably have a strong suspect and that person is under 24 hour surveillance as we speak.

So in response to being asked if the male who received the calls from the victim that night was a suspect or had he been cleared the response was exactly this:

"Everything we have taken from those calls we've followed up on we've cleared and we um...believe that there's no connection there."

So I'm not actually sure we can say J has been cleared or ruled out as a suspect. The language is a bit vague but it could be interpreted to mean those calls were not connected to the murders. As in they were not made in response to someone being in the home or being attacked.

It could also mean J has no connection but language isn't clear either way IMO.

it makes perfect sense, especially if he left his own phone far away from the house to give himself alibi. he didn't have his phone at noon and had to use one of roommate's, because he took it to a different loacation before murders
They specifically said the 911 caller is not the murderer in the press conference.

No I agree with you. I think one person might have been an overkill situation and they're still sticking with the word 'targeted' even after a week.

I think they might have a possible suspect in mind, just waiting on DNA, phone records and other things to tie it all together.

MOO
I think so too..MOO

<snipped> Coroner Has New Details About Fatal Slaying of 4 U of Idaho Students After Autopsies
Mabbutt said that the victims showed "little bit of bruising" but "nothing significant." She added that some bruising "wouldn't be uncommon during a stabbing."

Mabbutt couldn't say how many times each victim was stabbed but said it was safe to say each of them had multiple wounds. She declined to say where on the body they were stabbed and later clarified that the victims were stabbed in different places and a different amount of times.

Mabbutt said it was likely the four had bled out in the home.

She said DNA samples have been taken from the scene and are being processed. When pressed, she said it was "possible" that some of the DNA being tested may not be of the four victims.

"There were nail clippings that were taken, and other ones that are being sent off, and so that will be processed," she said.
“Providing more information about the deaths Thursday on “Banfield,” Mabbutt said the bodies of the four students were found in beds and each had multiple stab wounds. Fatal stabs were delivered to the upper torso or chest area, Mabbutt said.”

So in response to being asked if the male who received the calls from the victim that night was a suspect or had he been cleared the response was exactly this:

"Everything we have taken from those calls we've followed up on we've cleared and we um...believe that there's no connection there."

So I'm not actually sure we can say J has been cleared or ruled out as a suspect. The language is a bit vague but it could be interpreted to mean those calls were not connected to the murders. As in they were not made in response to someone being in the home or being attacked.

It could also mean J has no connection but language isn't clear either way IMO.
Unfortunately, they were not clear. Perhaps they will clear it up at the presser on Wednesday.

Reactions: Gae
Personally, I’m really sickened to hear so many insinuations that J is possibly involved because LE didn’t specifically “clear” him. Guys, that’s not how WS rolls. We don’t insinuate period. Just stop. How would you feel in his shoes to know people are splitting hairs about what LE said and didn’t say when he is not named a POI/suspect by LE? This kind of talk really turns WS ugly. Report posts like this. Don’t reply and make a mess for the mods to clean up when they close down the thread for three hours. Stay classy. Thank you.
Exactly, and it is upsetting.

I find it odd that everyone was asleep when they were killed. It just seems like to me, that a killer would want to look into the eyes of their victim, whether it was just the sick satisfaction of knowing they were terrifying someone, or, if it were revenge or anger, they would want the person to know who was doing this to them and that they got the last word.

With them being asleep when they were killed, it’s like the perp’s goal was just to end their lives.

I don’t know what it suggests, if anything. It just doesn’t quite make sense. Though trying to apply a rational person’s logic to someone who is clearly irrational doesn’t usually get you anywhere.

Trying to catch up.

Aspie, I believe that the University President is stating this because it happened "off campus" so the University does not have to file a report according to The Jeanne Clery Act of 1990. Jeanne Clery was a college student in 1986 who was raped and murdered in her campus dorm bed and her parents pushed for legislation to require all campuses to report all crime statistics for potential students. You recognized that it is unfortunate that this has to be emphasized at the presser.

I think he was also trying to stress that locked dorms are safer than off campus housing (even though in Jeanne’s case doors were left propped open), which would be true if he could say that the murderer was absolutely not a student. I don’t know how students can feel safe now.

The Clery Act is supposed to make surrounding areas part of crime data reporting. I looked at the reporting boundaries for UI and the house is outside the boundary, I believe. Which means these murders will not be part of the statistics for the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moondashiie