ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know whether I agree that the first floor was a garage. The house was renovated in 2018-19. The details of the renovations are posted on the Zillow listing. Nothing is said about converting garages into living space.

This is the floor plan. The stairs are at the front of the house. So there's not much room for a garage.
I used to live in a house that, from the outside, was identical and layout looks nearly the same with a few alterations you would make for renting to college kids. I cannot be 100% sure, but the floorplan we lived in had a single car garage on the left, laundry, bathroom and tv room on the bottom floor, next floor kitchen, dining, living room,1 bedroom or a room used as a study, third floor had 2 bedrooms and a single bathroom.

Any reason to believe the killer didn’t enter through the 3rd floor sliding door? Ran down to the 2nd to escape and ran into the other two roommates? Has this been mentioned?
There are no exterior stairs to the third floor balcony. The only access is through the bedroom. (posted earlier, no link anymore, probably DailyMail).

1669080506186.png

• Why did cops initially tell residents that there was no threat to the wider community?
They have been back and forth with this. Maybe it looks more like an execution than a rampage.
  • How did 'several friends' inside the house not see or hear anything?
The killer was stealthy. He used a knife because a gun makes noise. The right person could kill people in their sleep with a knife, and no one would make a noise.
  • Why did it take nine hours after the murders for a 911 call to be placed?
You obviously don't have teenagers. They slept until noon because that's what they do. Not church goers.
  • How did the two surviving roommates not wake up during the horrific murders?
Again, because the murderer quietly used a knife.
  • Why did Moscow Police initially believe they were called because someone had 'passed out'?
The roommate or roommates who found the victims probably had just witnessed their first dead body.
  • Why did it take more than a week for cops to appeal for surveillance footage?
Just to make sure they hadn't overlooked any.
  • How did authorities fail to search a dumpster outside the home?
Maybe they hadn't got to it yet. From the reports, they searched a lot of them already.
  • At least four people have been ruled out as the potential killer – why have there been no arrests or suspects?
All of the evidence is a puzzle they piece together. They don't have enough or the right piece yet.

This case immediately reminded me of one I saw on Forensic Files!

On Halloween night in 2004, Adriane Insogna and Leslie Mazzara were brutally murdered in their Napa, California home. There were three young women sharing the home, and the two roommates in upstairs bedrooms were stabbed to death. The roommate sleeping downstairs survived. After looking at all the usual suspects (ex-boyfriends, a handyman who was in the house earlier that day, etc.) -- investigators were able to lift DNA from cigarettes that they found outside the home. Shockingly, the killer was found to be the boyfriend to one of the victim's friends. The motive was jealousy.

I have the feeling the ending to this case will shock us too.

Nightmare in Napa

Forensic Files, Season 12 Episode 10

Some further information I found around the internet from news media:

The Goncalvez' are saying the police told them the killer was sloppy. : Univ. of Idaho killer was ‘sloppy,’ left ‘mess’ of evidence, victim’s family says

Here investigators are looking in the parking lot of the adjacent apartment buildings which seems to be an excellent vantage point for seeing what was going on in the college students house: Idaho police expanding crime scene at site of college students' murders

This video from KREM 2 News shows door the perp may have entered the house through - there are red tape strips - perhaps indicating finger or palm prints or other evidence:

The Moscow Police Department actually says the surviving roommate summoned friends when she believed one of the "second-floor victims had passed out and was not waking up." I feel like MSM turned that "second-floor victims" into "roommate." In not sure, though.

https://m.facebook.com/100082550200493/
Yes, I also feel like MSM turned unconscious into passed out. We were told that the words they said was “unconscious.”
Using passed out implies they were thinking a drinking related issue, or fainting, we have no idea what they were thinking As they didnt’ say ‘passed out’ As per LE.
JMO

Why would he kill the couple though In their bed though? He could have stealthily entered and went straight to the 3rd floor
Maybe one of them woke up so they had to get rid of them and then the other woke up as well and was fighting him
Is this your opinion or has it been confirmed?
its not in other pictures and if it were an issue why wasn’t the side of the house stained from it happening in the past ?

This case immediately reminded me of one I saw on Forensic Files!

On Halloween night in 2004, Adriane Insogna and Leslie Mazzara were brutally murdered in their Napa, California home. There were three young women sharing the home, and the two roommates in upstairs bedrooms were stabbed to death. The roommate sleeping downstairs survived. After looking at all the usual suspects (ex-boyfriends, a handyman who was in the house earlier that day, etc.) -- investigators were able to lift DNA from cigarettes that they found outside the home. Shockingly, the killer was found to be the boyfriend to one of the victim's friends. The motive was jealousy.

I have the feeling the ending to this case will shock us too.

Nightmare in Napa

Forensic Files, Season 12 Episode 10
Interesting enough I remember the survivor was also blamed by many people.Many said she had to be in on it or would have been killed too.She was totally innocent.

I don't blame the families at all, whether it was one day, one week, or one month, etc. But one week with this little info is concerning. LE was asked yesterday during the presser if they have enough help. Of course they said yes. I cannot help but wonder if egos are getting in the way and I would hate to hear that, especially for the families. But it is common.
IMO

I don't think egos are the issue. I just think they started from behind because the police there aren't accustomed to working a case this high profile. I think they welcome the help and would hand off the case like a hot potato if they could.

Maybe they know who did it but can't prove it.
Maybe the person who did it is a mentally disturbed old woman or a homeless old man and the police know she/he does stuff like this but knew their whereabouts Sunday morning.

Regarding the victims being in bed:

Some of the murdered University of Idaho students were stabbed in their beds, coroner says

Of the four University of Idaho students who were found stabbed to death in a rental house last Sunday, some were killed in their beds, the Latah County coroner told CBS News Friday.

Coroner Cathy Mabbutt would not provide any further details.
She noted, however, that earlier media reports stating all four victims had been murdered in their beds were not accurate.
I suspect she meant they didn't all die in bed. They could have all been attacked in bed, some died there and one or more made it out of bed before passing.

Is the rumor mill overwhelming LE? I’m actually surprised that they are rapidly announcing who is cleared and what is unrelated. Usually they don’t seem to give a hoot what is happening outside of their own investigative work. I doubt that the skinned dog tips are going to slow down at all just because of the latest release. I would have preferred a bigger perimeter and canvas and request of all camera footage within 48 hours, but we can’t go back in time. Is it normal to tell the public what they have ruled out so soon, or are they pressured due to the public-and the student body’s-fear? I would not want to live nearby. I would love to know what a profiler that has knowledge of the true facts of the case thinks about who this killer is.

My question for FBI would be if they have contacted the electric company to see if any clothes were washed between 2am and 6am - when you power on a washer and dryer it increases the electric voltages in your house substantially and this crime is almost identical to another crime I studied. They were able to pinpoint the time the washer was on and then off and then were able to check traffic cameras near that time to locate the SP

If this is true, than I am wrong in my theory that the killer was clean and methodical. I hope it's true that there is a lot of evidence, perhaps DNA evidence of the killer, to work through.

In the meantime, I'm not sure what we gain from speculating more about the dog or the 911 call (all involved have been cleared as suspects for now, and the dog is with K's ex boyfriend).

IMO and all speculation. If Ethan and Xana were together, and Xana fought back, and at least some were asleep at the time of the attack but not all, here is my possible scenario.

Maybe Maddie was the target. The killer comes in and unexpectedly finds Kaylee sleeping in Maddie’s room, they could have done some drunk dialing and passed out together. Or, Kaylee is the target being back for one final weekend before leaving for good. Killer finds both together, attacks one, the other wakes up and screams or yells and then is killed too.

Killer tries to bail fast as his planned SA wasn’t possible with both girls there. Ethan hears something and goes out to check and encounters the killer. There’s a struggle and yelling and Ethan dies. Xana is somewhere behind him, sees this happen, gets cornered in the bedroom possibly against the wall where she fights hard but dies last.

The killer escaped quickly either without knowing or caring that the 2 other roommates were home asleep on another floor.

These are all just my random speculations musings and opinions only. I hope the killer is caught quickly and there’s justice for these poor kids and their families.

Maybe, or maybe not. If they were attacked in bed, then they were also more then likely under covers.
So if a knife goes through a blanket or sheet and into a person, and then comes back out to stab again- unless done very slowly it will have cast off. Blood will come off up into the air as the knife changes direction from moving up quickly to coming down quickly.
We’ve been told by LE and the Coroner that the victims were stabbed multiple times. There was castoff, and that blood ends up on the back of the perp, and all kinds of places like the ceiling and walls. And sometimes it contains other fluids, like the blood of the perp.

Covers only protect the perp from blood if they stab once, and leave the knife in the victim.
JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members