ID ID - Amber Hoopes, 20, Idaho Falls, 14 Sept 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A psychic's tip has led authorities in eastern Idaho to search a now defunct sugar factory for the body of a woman missing since 2001.

The Bonneville County Sheriff's Office yesterday didn't find any evidence of Amber Hoopes at the sugar factory.

Hoopes was 20 when she was last seen at her grandparents' house, just down the road from the former sugar factory.

http://www.localnews8.com/Global/story.asp?S=6807734

Reactions: mrz
264 people are missing in Idaho and three of them are missing in Idaho Falls.

September 14 was the Sixth anniversary for the disappearance of Amber Hoopes.

In remembrance of that, Idaho Falls Mayor Jared Fuhriman signed a declaration calling September 14 as Idaho Missing Person's Day.

http://www.localnews8.com/global/story.asp?s=7078150

The Charley Project
Amber Shawnell Hoopes
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hoopes_amber.html
Missing since: Sept. 14,2001 from Idaho Falls, Idaho
Endangered Missing
Date of Birth: Dec. 27,1980
Height and Weight: 5'5, 140 pounds
Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Hoopes wears diamond stud earrings in her upper left ear.
Clothing/Jewlry Description: A white t-shirt, gray and white boxer shorts and a short gray robe.
Medical Conditions: Hoopes has been diagnosed with vitaligo, a skin condition that causes white-colored spots to extend from her left thigh to her ankle.

National center for missing adults
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301200W
If you believe you have any information regarding this case that will be helpful in this investigation please contact:
Bonneville County Sheriff's Office at (208) 529-1350
Amber was last known to be reading in her bedroom at approximately 10:30pm in the vicinity of the 2700 block of E. Lincoln Rd. in Idaho Falls, ID. At approximately 1:00am, a family member woke up and found the TV and light on, but she was no longer in her room. Her personal belongings, including a paycheck were still inside.
Investigative Case #: 2001-240248

This is an older article but I didn't see it here...

Key Suspect in Hoopes Case is Dead

Keith Hescock has always been the main suspect police believe could have kidnapped Amber Hoopes.

It was June of 2002 when he kidnapped another teenager...14 year old Megan Kerr. He chained her to a bed and assaulted her. Then, when he went to work, Megan escaped by grabbing a fire extinguisher and smashing the chain around her waist.

Byron Stommel, Bonneville Co. Sheriff: "It had to have taken hours for her to beat on this chain until it broke and when you look at the bottom of the fire extinguisher you'd be amazed."

Newswatch 3 was on the scene when Megan called home telling her parents she was alive.

During this time, Hescock was at work. He returned home, saw officers in his driveway, then led police on a chase that ended with him shooting and killing himself in Heise.

More: http://www.kidk.com/news/8575387.html

Amber's family will be part of a candlelight vigil tomorrow (Thursday, 8/20/09) in Idaho Falls. The vigil will be for both Amber Hoopes and Stephanie Eldridge. It is at 6:00 pm at the river in Idaho Falls.

I have been reading this forum for awhile and when I saw this post I decided to register to try and clear up a bit of confusion in regards to this post. Thus my first post:

The 14 year girl kidnapped in June 2002 by Hescock is a member of my husband's family. She's the one who got away. When she talks of the other girl being there she is not speaking of it in the physical sense she is referring to it in the spiritual sense. She said that Amber was there in spirit helping her to get free. Hescock told her he was going to kill her and that he had killed before. Also, after getting free she able to find the address of the cabin (from mail) of where she was.

There is so much more to this story that hasn't been told. Thanks for letting me clear up this little bit.

Missing since 4 days after the horror of Sept. 11th. Amber had not been seen and none of her posessions were taken.
She was missing from her home.

A young girl told of being kidnapped and taken to a remote cabin where another girl was being held captive. She told of the girl telling her to escape and run get help. She managed to get out, but the other girl couldn't flee due to her restraints. Wandering the rugged mountains of Idaho, the girl eventually found help, but couldn't tell police where the cabin was. The girl was able to describe the man and as he was tracked into the canyon, and cornered by police...he committed suicide.

This summer a family returned to their mountain cabin, after a 4 year span of not going there. There they found the remains of Amber.

Amber died a hero as she saved the child, and I believe she is now in a better place. Her family now has the knowledge that she is with God and is at peace.

There can never be closure for anyone who looses a loved one to a violent crime! There is only knowledge...and hopefully some peace.

FlowerGirl

Welcome to WS, DaisyBill! And thanks for posting!

I'm very glad that the girl was able to escape. I hope she is doing okay today. It sounds like the original story changed as it travelled down the "grapevine". Thanks for clearing up what you can.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, the stories the media give out can be so not accurate. Or the rumor mill, friend of a friend sort of deal. The articles I have read online about the case don't jive too much with what I know. And yes, she is doing ok. She has married, and has started to speak out in public to tell her story. I will be seeing her grandmother shortly for a family reunion. We are meeting in CO for a birthday bash!

Skeletal remains found in Bonneville county

12368629_BG1.jpg
12368629_BG2.jpg

Idaho Falls police say the body may be related to several missing persons cases, including Stephanie Eldridge, Darwin Vest, and Amber Hoopes.

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/92009554.html

Amber's family is in my thoughts right now. I had the opportunity to meet some of them this past summer at a vigil for Amber and Stephanie. Great people. Hoping for a possible resolution to one of these cases.

Amber's family is in my thoughts right now. I had the opportunity to meet some of them this past summer at a vigil for Amber and Stephanie. Great people. Hoping for a possible resolution to one of these cases.

I moved away from Idaho falls about 11 years ago. I had done some drywall work years ago for Ambers parents. Very nice people.

I seem to remember reading the main suspect in her case died in a shootout with police.

A200301200W_285.jpg

Skeletal remains found above the City of Ammon yesterday had detectives from two agencies working together with the hope of shedding light on who they found.

Found by a man working on the nearby wind turbines who as chance would have it, was stuck in his vehicle nearby.

SGT. Phil Grimes/IFPD: "When he was stuck - he was trying to get some cell phone reception and walked up a hill. As he was walking back down the hill to his vehicle he came across skeletal remains."

http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=12368629
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200301200W

Eldridge and Hoopes Family Speak About Body Found in Ammon

[snip]

Amber Hoopes has been missing for more than 8 years and Stephanie Eldridge has been missing since 2007. In both cases, hope has not been given up.

"You know it's tough," said Deb Rowbury, Stephanie Eldridge's aunt. "It's like opening an old wound. But it's also helping because somebody out there, if not Stephanie, it might be Amber Hoopes or somebody else that's missing."

Family members of Stephanie Eldridge say the past few days have been rough.

Investigators are saying it is a good possibility the body found might be Stephanie or Amber. An autopsy of the body is currently in progress at the state lab in Boise.

Family members of Amber Hoopes say they expect to hear what the DNA results will be within a matter of days. But regardless of the results, Amber's family knows she is safe.

"We've come to grips with it," said Noris Burgener, Amber Hoopes' grandfather. "We have for 8 1/2 years. And so, we're okay with it. We know where she's at. We know she's with our Heavenly Father."

More: http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=12379838

Missing since 4 days after the horror of Sept. 11th. Amber had not been seen and none of her posessions were taken.
She was missing from her home.

A young girl told of being kidnapped and taken to a remote cabin where another girl was being held captive. She told of the girl telling her to escape and run get help. She managed to get out, but the other girl couldn't flee due to her restraints. Wandering the rugged mountains of Idaho, the girl eventually found help, but couldn't tell police where the cabin was. The girl was able to describe the man and as he was tracked into the canyon, and cornered by police...he committed suicide.

This summer a family returned to their mountain cabin, after a 4 year span of not going there. There they found the remains of Amber.

Amber died a hero as she saved the child, and I believe she is now in a better place. Her family now has the knowledge that she is with God and is at peace.

There can never be closure for anyone who looses a loved one to a violent crime! There is only knowledge...and hopefully some peace.

FlowerGirl

Okay I am now totaly confused.

Was Amber found or was this a mistake? if so who was found in the cabin?

Okay I am now totaly confused.

Was Amber found or was this a mistake? if so who was found in the cabin?

No. Amber has not been found. Unless the latest remains are hers. That story was made up. I'm not sure if it was made up by the poster, or if she found it somewhere else online, or just got information confused. But Amber is still missing.

ETA: Another girl was kidnapped in the area, believed to be by the same guy that may have taken Amber. She was found. But no remains were found in a cabin that I know of.

NG covering the finding of the remains.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlyOfDragons
Back