ID - Daralyn Johnson, 9, Nampa, Murdered, 1982 *inmate arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'A decadeslong nightmare': 2C officials charge convicted sex offender in 9-year-old girl's 1982 death

On Feb. 24, 2020 — exactly 38 years after Johnson's body was found — investigators questioned Dalrymple.

When 62-year-old was told the interview was in reference to an 1982 abduction, "almost immediately, Dalrymple indicated he was not living in Nampa at the time," court records show. He said he was in the military — although, he had been discharged in 1981. Dalrymple later claimed to have been living with his parents in McCall.

Dalrymple said he knew Fain had been arrested in the Johnson case and eventually exonerated.

Investigators then asked Dalrymple to provide a DNA sample, and he declined and told them to get a warrant, court records show. On March 12, a swab was taken after a use of force detention order was obtained.

And last week, on April 30, investigators received the results, which showed "Dalrymple's DNA sample is genetically identical to the pubic hair found in (Johnson's) underwear," court records show.

I'm pretty sure he's been in prison since 2003 or 2004 but can't give you an exact link yet.

That was my first thought too. Who else and what other crimes that are unsolved may have been committed by this person.

I first checked the timing of the deaths of Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, who were abducted and killed in July 2012 in Iowa.

ETA - I tried to find out when this person was permanently in prison and I cant find the date yet. If anyone finds out his actual incarceration dates it would help so we know when he was out and about. There are multiple people with that name so we have to be sure.

Reading around as I've been googling, I see how very many old cold cases have been solved recently, some even older than Daralyn's. I knew some, but didn't realize the extent. So very many.

I'm so glad Daralyn's parents and family and others who lover her don't have to wonder any longer.

Holy crap. He lived right in the neighborhood.

I looked at a map to see the proximity of their address from the school. VERY close. It seems you could almost watch the child from the edge of the property and see her nearly all the way to the school boundary.

Horrifying that a human being who wills himself into becoming a monster can enter such a tiny margin of unprotected space, take someone's precious child, and in doing so, destroy so many lives.

Areas around schools and other places children occupy should be heavily surveilled.

bbm
His address? Where did you find it?

I looked at a map to see the proximity of their address from the school. VERY close. It seems you could almost watch the child from the edge of the property and see her nearly all the way to the school boundary.

Horrifying that a human being who wills himself into becoming a monster can enter such a tiny margin of unprotected space, take someone's precious child, and in doing so, destroy so many lives.

Areas around schools and other places children occupy should be heavily surveilled.

bbm
His address? Where did you find it?

NOT his, but hers. Her full obituary is provided on Find a Grave. I was looking at her address relative to her school.

I don't know, but assume his was not in the immediate area since witnesses said they saw a suspicious car approach her. So, I assume he was driving around and scouting for kids near schools.

I've searched (using "Dalrymple" and "Nampa"), but cannot find his address although I do see other immediate family members have lived at a variety of addresses in the Nampa area (parts of their street addresses are blocked out at those sites where I've found info.) His name came up in the list of associates to those I found.

Oh ok.
He did live close to her.

bbm

That SNP profile showed that the DNA belonged to a male. The FBI then used the profile to find the Dalrymple family, which court document say included four boys and two girls who lived in Idaho. Investigators narrowed the family down to David Dalrymple, who also lived at a home that would be on Daralyn's route to school.

After nearly 40 years, DNA evidence connects man to the murder of a 9-year-old Nampa girl

FindLaw's Supreme Court of Idaho case and opinions.

Supreme Court of Idaho,

STATE of Idaho, Plaintiff-Respondent, v. David Allen DALRYMPLE, Defendant-Appellant.

No. 33447.
Decided: July 02, 2007

Molly J. Huskey, State Appellate Public Defender, Boise, for appellant.  Diane M. Walker argued. Lawrence G. Wasden, Idaho Attorney General, Boise, for respondent. Ralph R. Blount argued.
AMENDED OPINION

THE COURT'S PRIOR OPINION DATED FEBRUARY 21, 2007 IS HEREBY WITHDRAWN.

David Allen Dalrymple was convicted on felony counts of lewd conduct with a child, sexual abuse of a child, second-degree kidnapping, and several misdemeanors.   The Court of Appeals vacated Dalrymple's conviction, holding that the district court erred in failing to provide Faretta warnings contemporaneously to his waiver of the right to counsel.   The State petitioned for review.   We affirm Dalrymple's conviction.

More at link...

For those of you also following the JJ & Tylee thread, this case law is worth the read as it tracks similarly to changing lawyers and self-representation with a 'crazy' defense.

Last edited:
For those of you also following the JJ & Tylee thread, this case law is worth the read as it tracks similarly to changing lawyers and self-representation with a 'crazy' defense.

After he took over as his own lawyer and testified as witness in his own defense, he tried to call his victims as witnesses. Disgusting.

Thank goodness the court denied his attempt to call the child victim.

There is no hell hot enough.

I'd like to follow this case - but is there anyone here that can access Canyon County court site? I can't...

TIA! if you can!

and
Hatfield said:
I first checked the timing of the deaths of Elizabeth Collins, 8, and Lyric Cook, 10, who were abducted and killed in July 2012 in Iowa.

ETA - I tried to find out when this person was permanently in prison and I cant find the date yet. If anyone finds out his actual incarceration dates it would help so we know when he was out and about. There are multiple people with that name so we have to be sure.

From an article:

Currently, Dalrymple is serving a 20-year-to-life sentence at the Idaho State Correctional Institution in Kuna after he was convicted in 2004 on charges of kidnapping, lewd conduct & sexual abuse involving a minor between the age of 9 and 11 in separate, Ada County case. Court records show Dalrymple appealed the conviction numerous times, but it was denied by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 2012.
Taylor said the sheriff’s office will wait to serve Dalrymple with this latest warrant until sometime this summer because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the 62-year-old’s “ensured incarceration.”

So - no...

Hi Niner, I can access the iCourt Portal for Idaho, but can't find anything for DD. When I search for court hearings, I find nothing. When I search for records, it has said unable to process for the past 24 hours. Wait. Ok found it. There's a lot, going to take a while to find anything current. I'll be back later.
iCourt Portal - Online records & payments for the Idaho courts

I'd like to follow this case - but is there anyone here that can access Canyon County court site? I can't...

TIA! if you can!

and

From an article:

Currently, Dalrymple is serving a 20-year-to-life sentence at the Idaho State Correctional Institution in Kuna after he was convicted in 2004 on charges of kidnapping, lewd conduct & sexual abuse involving a minor between the age of 9 and 11 in separate, Ada County case. Court records show Dalrymple appealed the conviction numerous times, but it was denied by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 2012.
Taylor said the sheriff’s office will wait to serve Dalrymple with this latest warrant until sometime this summer because of the COVID-19 pandemic and the 62-year-old’s “ensured incarceration.”

So - no...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnp625
Back