Not open for further replies.
My family:

My father was a Jr.
My brother is the III
My nephew is the IV

When everyone was together, my father was called either "Dad" or "Grandpa"
My brother was called by his given name
My nephew was called by his given name preceded with "Little"

Thank goodness the madness stopped there since my nephew doesn't have any sons. My other nephew has two sons, both of which were referred to as little men and to this day I still throw up in my mouth a little bit when I hear that phrase! It goes right through me!

It is interesting with first names. My eldest sister and my brother were both named after my parents, who in turn were named after their parents who again were named after their parents ad infinitum !
Jr or II numbering is unusual in the UK I think. William becomes Will, Bill, Billy to distinguish the generations. Margaret can be Maggie, Meg, etc.
My eldest sister (named after my mother and her grandmother etc) was always known by her middle name instead.

Personally I think calling a child 'little man' is so distancing. Would that just be in referencing him to others? or would they have said "little man come here dinner is ready"??

I would like to see a list of things of what criminal "event" may have happened which caused the necessity for disappearing/murdering of little Deorr. Because the last infos were that Deorr wasn't at the campground at all this "event" must have happened at another area (at home perhaps, at a home of some other, at another campground, etc.).

What do you think maybe possible to have happened?

My hope of hopes is that he was sold or passed to another family who love him and make him happy.
Probably low down on the scale of occurrences though. :tears:

I have a feeling there is a very good reason why only one of the 911 calls was released. Stay tuned... if this ever gets to court I'm sure it will be interesting.

I have often felt that way too but then I think that if there was something really suspicious on the other 911 call(s), wouldn't LE have known right away that something wasn't right? Why would they have waited so long to start looking at the parents as suspects? Why tell the public they're solid and wait six months to name them suspects? This case drives me nuts. If LE had started investigating the parents from the get-go, things might have turned out a lot differently. If it turns out that one of the 911 calls contains incriminating information and/or red flags, it will be very unsettling to me because so much evidence could have been obtained in those first few days. MOO.

Oh gosh Neesaki, I am so sorry did not know my query or observation would hit a nerve. I apologize. Eek. But what you said is a pov i can agree with and see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh my, no need to apologize at all, Maggie Mays. Apparently the use of that name for a toddler boy is accepted by some. Maybe it's family tradition or something. If they only used it on occasion it would be one thing, but it seems they called him that all the time. Of course it doesn't help that J and V come across as low life trash, a deduction I've made by the foul language they use so publicly and so freely, and a few other things, i.e., the chunk of cash missing from the donations fund. And more importantly, they aren't looking for him which tells me they did something to him. I can only hope, in spite of what TBC claims, that little Deorr really did know his real name. But considering the foul mouths of J and V, I wouldn't doubt he had more than one not mentionable nick names. :(

Oh my, no need to apologize at all, Maggie Mays. Apparently the use of that name for a toddler boy is accepted by some. Maybe it's family tradition or something. If they only used it on occasion it would be one thing, but it seems they called him that all the time. Of course it doesn't help that J and V come across as low life trash, a deduction I've made by the foul language they use so publicly and so freely, and a few other things, i.e., the chunk of cash missing from the donations fund. And more importantly, they aren't looking for him which tells me they did something to him. I can only hope, in spite of what TBC claims, that little Deorr really did know his real name. But considering the foul mouths of J and V, I wouldn't doubt he had more than one not mentionable nick names. :(
Yes, spot on!!

I have often felt that way too but then I think that if there was something really suspicious on the other 911 call(s), wouldn't LE have known right away that something wasn't right? Why would they have waited so long to start looking at the parents as suspects? Why tell the public they're solid and wait six months to name them suspects? This case drives me nuts. If LE had started investigating the parents from the get-go, things might have turned out a lot differently. If it turns out that one of the 911 calls contains incriminating information and/or red flags, it will be very unsettling to me because so much evidence could have been obtained in those first few days. MOO.
I think LE was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while, maybe they were waiting for the FBI and doing their analysis, and that is the time period it took to start suspecting the parents. Who knows all so confusing or they were suspecting the parents from the get just wanted to make sure they had confirmation from FBI and then came out with it publicly.

Actually, it was a surprisingly civilized discussion, like it is here, but she was definitely outnumbered. I think a couple of people agreed with her. I was so surprised at how common the nickname "Little Man" is. I had never heard it before this case. But I certainly didn't get the impression that these parents used nicknames to the exclusion of their child's given name like we've seen here. One parent said that their son actually kept his nickname "Hawk" as an adult, in place of his real name. I thought that was neat. But most nicknames don't make the transition that well. And certainly not "Little Man."

The only time I remember hearing the term "little man" before this case was that's what my ex-husband used to call our dog.

My niece's in-laws call her daughter ' Lil Mama.' She is not a lil mama, she is only 2 yrs old. And it does kind of bother me to hear them ALWAYS referring to her as a little mama. Like that is what she has to be as she grows up? A mother...? It seems rather limiting and dismissive, but I know they do not intend to mean it in that way.
But ti kind of has a sexual component to it, like sexualizing her way too early.

I agree totally. Also, "little man syndrome" always comes to mind, also known as a Napolean Complex.

I think LE was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while, maybe they were waiting for the FBI and doing their analysis, and that is the time period it took to start suspecting the parents. Who knows all so confusing or they were suspecting the parents from the get just wanted to make sure they had confirmation from FBI and then came out with it publicly.

I think you're probably right but in my opinion if a child is missing and the parents say or do anything that is even remotely suspicious, it should be taken seriously. LE can give them the benefit of the doubt publicly but behind the scenes they should be collecting evidence and investigating from all angles (immediately), just in case. I don't sense that was the case here. I'd like to be wrong, but LE has all but said they thought it was just the case of a boy that wandered away. If it turns out that the unreleased 911 calls do contain conflicting or suspicious content, then LE should have known from the get-go that there might be more to the story and proceeded as such. Just my opinion. Hopefully it will turn out that the 911 calls reveal nothing suspicious, but it is certainly odd that they have not been released.

I have a nickname for my son that we started calling him very early on and that he still gets called now at age 6. It's "bean". I absolutely would and do say "bean come eat" or "I love you beanie." Bean/Beanie is so ingrained in his mind as part of his identity.

However, outside our immediate and extended family, I *mostly* do not refer to him as bean/beanie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a nickname for my son that we started calling him very early on and that he still gets called now at age 6. It's "bean". I absolutely would and do say "bean come eat" or "I love you beanie." Bean/Beanie is so ingrained in his mind as part of his identity.

However, outside our immediate and extended family, I *mostly* do not refer to him as bean/beanie.

My college-football-defensive-end nephew's nickname is bean!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And if you they thought he was abducted you'd think they would be saying Deorr Deorr Deorr to get his name remembered. If you were to ask a little kid what his name was he would say Deorr not "little man"

Little man is a common moniker for parents to call their young male children. I disagree wholeheartedly that that nickname being used alone indicates some sort of sexualization of children. I find that patently absurd and a great example of the reaching done by many regarding this case. I taught preschool for o over 14 years and heard that phrase countless times. It was never one that raised concerns among me or my fellow teachers. No, children aren't adults. I don't think calling a child little man is in any way indicating they're expected to be or are viewed as such.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Well they have said that in the background of one of the 911 calls they used technology to hear the background noise and heard the two suspects speak to each other, which is why they don't believe Vernal really drove away to make his call (well that reason and J saying she emptied her pockets into the truck.) So one might assume that it is Vernal's call they heard that in, which could be why they have hung on to it.

I just read a book about a murder from 2004 and they focused a lot on the fact they knew their suspect but didn't name them a suspect for quite some time. The husband had killed the wife but wasn't trying to run or anything, and the lies and stories he told were actually helping the cops gather evidence. They held off on naming him a suspect for quite a while just to try to keep his stories flowing so they could try to fit together the missing pieces. When I read about that it kind of made me understand more about Deorr's case. They could have been waiting on test results to come back (to find out what was on the back of the truck?). There is probably a method to the madness though.

The cops could have been looking at the parents since the first week or first couple months but didn't tell the public until they were ready to drop that bomb.

Everything LE does is very precise and strategic in these cases. They know how important the details will be in a trial setting. IMO

And if (God forbid) he were missing I'm sure you would use his real name more often than his nickname.

"Lil Man" didn't bother me.... it was the "our son" and "that child" and every other reference to.him when I began screaming "SAY HIS NAME!!!".

And if (God forbid) he were missing I'm sure you would use his real name more often than his nickname.

"Lil Man" didn't bother me.... it was the "our son" and "that child" and every other reference to.him when I began screaming "SAY HIS NAME!!!".
I agree. It's not the particular nickname--I see nothing wrong with that whatsoever. It's the fact that they seem to use nicknames almost exclusively. Textbook distancing, IMO.

I listened again for the purposes of having an intelligent conversation. I believe she is mic grabbing as touched upon in my earlier post. You hear her clearly speaking off call "John" than you hear degraded sound (reps should never speak off call, caller is king) I can see it all in my mind; small call center <modsnip> rep on a hot call, calls out to her supervisor, supervisor making throat slash or silent finger gesture, rep obstructs/grabs mic, rep also dealing with hot call so has to play both sides of fence, rep is getting advice while trying to make caller feel "special".

Another side show IMHO. I'm not sure what the 911 operator was doing but I'm positive it has nothing to do with Deorr being missing. Operator seems moderately competent, not great with an Aspect phone but this was probably the biggest call she has handled in half a year.

<modsnip>

Yep, we're all just hicks and hayseeds around here! Why, we just barely started using those newfangled phones that dial without an operator! And my radio is powered by potatoes!

100%

Well they have said that in the background of one of the 911 calls they used technology to hear the background noise and heard the two suspects speak to each other, which is why they don't believe Vernal really drove away to make his call (well that reason and J saying she emptied her pockets into the truck.) So one might assume that it is Vernal's call they heard that in, which could be why they have hung on to it.

I just read a book about a murder from 2004 and they focused a lot on the fact they knew their suspect but didn't name them a suspect for quite some time. The husband had killed the wife but wasn't trying to run or anything, and the lies and stories he told were actually helping the cops gather evidence. They held off on naming him a suspect for quite a while just to try to keep his stories flowing so they could try to fit together the missing pieces. When I read about that it kind of made me understand more about Deorr's case. They could have been waiting on test results to come back (to find out what was on the back of the truck?). There is probably a method to the madness though.

The cops could have been looking at the parents since the first week or first couple months but didn't tell the public until they were ready to drop that bomb.

Everything LE does is very precise and strategic in these cases. They know how important the details will be in a trial setting. IMO

I hope you are correct - I have always hoped that a parallel investigation was taking place in the background early on (and I agree with the strategy of going along with the suspects in order to obtain more information), but I guess I've lost a little faith due to the apparent lack of progress in this case and the silence from LE. Feeling frustrated..... and the suspects have moved on, footloose and fancy-free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste