DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could this be Deorr?

I have a huge lump in my throat...

All JMO
Wow. I hope this is the boy for sake of closure.

A couple interesting things when I looked up the location where the body was found.

Its very near a place called "Morley Nelson SNAKE RIVER Birds of Prey National Conservation Area"

Didnt we at one point think there was a Freudian Slip about Snake River during an interview or am I dreaming that up.

It is not too close to the campground but it is equal distance from Idaho Falls to either that place or the campground. So if we assume the boy passed away even before the camping trip then it could be a logical place to dispose of the boy first and then go camping in another direction and pretend he gets lost.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lea...9085cb48a3abc!2m2!1d-115.6911975!2d43.1329504

Badgers do store food (recently found bones were located in a badger hole). This article has a video with a badger burying an entire cow over several days.
https://beprepared.com/blog/21659/badger-buries-bovine-long-term-storage/

That is interesting.

The thing is though. See my other post that has a map and shows the location is nowhere close to where they allegedly went camping.

A badger would not be able to drag the boy all the way from the alleged campground.

If this is him. It means one thing at least. The boy or the boys body was taken by someone to the place near where he was found. He could not have walked it on his own. Too far.

I guess first things first. Lets hope LE IDs the body and sadly I do hope it is him for at least answering where the boy ended up.

They could have driven from their home in Bonneville County to Elmore County (where bones were recently found) to Lemhi County (where they went camping), but that's a long, long drive.

The Snake River goes all the way through the southern part of Idaho. There are a gazillion things called "Snake River such and such" (and Yellowstone such and such).

There are also a gazillion places between Idaho Falls and Mountain Home to hide a body. I wish we'd get closure with DeOrr, but I just don't think this is him. I'm guessing it's a pioneer child.

**PRESS RELEASE**
Sheriff Mike Hollinshead On Saturday, April 15, 2017 The Elmore County Sheriff’s Office was notified of the discovery of skeletal remains of what appears to be a young child between the ages of one and five years old by Idaho Fishing and Game officers just north of Mountain Home, Idaho. The remains were partially uncovered inside a badger hole. Members of the Elmore County Sheriff’s Office, Idaho Fishing and Game, and Bureau of Land Management recovered the remains after consultation with archaeologists and a tribal representative.
It is clear by the condition of the remains that they have been buried for a considerable amount of time. There were no fibrous materials such as clothing located with the remains. Archaeologists are scheduled to conduct a further investigation in the area the remains were recovered to determine if there is a connection to the nearby Oregon Trail network.
At this time the Elmore County Sheriff’s Office has not ruled out criminal activity. The Elmore County Sheriff’s Office is working with surrounding agencies to determine possible links to cases outside Elmore County.
This is an ongoing investigation.
**UPDATE Sheriff Hollinshead**
BLM Archaeologist for the area that the bones were found, the burial found on 4/15/2017 did not exhibit Native American characteristics based on terrain locations and our visit on 4/17/2017..
Four Rivers Archaeologist

Could this be Deorr?
BBM

I hope it's Deorr, but unless they were smart (and heartless) enough to bury him naked, I think there would still be clothing fibers after less than two years.

Here is the FB link to the press release about an hour ago. In the comments someone mentions a little girl missing from Nampa, but I don't know how long. Apparently the location of the bones is in the opposite direction from their home and Leodore.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154738315086026&id=196136886025

BBM

I hope it's Deorr, but unless they were smart (and heartless) enough to bury him naked, I think there would still be clothing fibers after less than two years.

Here is the FB link to the press release about an hour ago. In the comments someone mentions a little girl missing from Nampa, but I don't know how long. Apparently the location of the bones is in the opposite direction from their home and Leodore.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10154738315086026&id=196136886025

I tend to agree and from re-reading the article it sounds like they think the body was there a really long time. I guess it all depends on what they mean by "considerable" in this quote below.

"It is clear by the condition of the remains that they have been buried for a considerable amount of time. There were no fibrous materials such as clothing located with the remains"

I may be reading too much into it but it sounds like a really really really long time. I do have to wonder if it is from Oregon Trail times. I am sure many young people died on the trail. And they did call in Archaeologists already so it does sound like their thinking it was people migration westward times.

It will be interesting to hear what they determine. It is highly unusual to find a body although being so close to that trail does seem to lean that way. Reminds me of the trail of tears. The hardships the people had in moving and migrating around the country was an amazing part of US history.

BBM

That would be April Bowdish https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/20019/4/

She is thought to have been abducted by her mother a couple of weeks before DeOrr disappeared.

eta: I doubt that these remains are either April or DeOrr. Maybe the two boys who disappeared in Boise/Nampa in the 80's but more likely a pioneer child, it seems to me.

Here comes "A badger got my baby." :facepalm:

And that d**** badger dragged my poor baby 250 miles away too.

I should have read all the posts since that one but it really is too far away for a badger to have dragged him home. I just dare them to trot that one out if the remains were to be Deorr.

My vote is also the Oregon Trail timeframe.

Oh wow, this would be unreal if it turns out to be DeOrr that is found. But if not it is someone's child. Are they thinking it could be related?

I have thought a few times in this case that DeOrr could of been placed somewhere far from what was his home. Wasn't dad a long haul trucker?

Was the child buried and the badger bore a hole up through the burial site bringing the remains up closer to the surface, or are they meaning that the child was placed (hidden or buried) in the badger hole? Because the former would seem more Oregon Trail-ish and the latter would seem to be more contemporary. I wonder how intact the skeleton was. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

They could have driven from their home in Bonneville County to Elmore County (where bones were recently found) to Lemhi County (where they went camping), but that's a long, long drive.

Idaho Falls to Mountain Home could be driven in 3 hours. Mountain Home to Leadore would be close to 4 hours. Certainly possible. To me, it just doesn't seem like a location where they would bury him, though. Why bury him close to a populated area when the "middle of nowhere" is much closer? The wilderness in central and southeast Idaho is vast (so finding a remote hiding place would not be difficult). Ugh. As much as I hope for closure, I feel like this probably isn't DeOrr but I guess time will tell.

Idaho Falls to Mountain Home could be driven in 3 hours. Mountain Home to Leadore would be close to 4 hours. Certainly possible. To me, it just doesn't seem like a location where they would bury him, though. Why bury him close to a populated area when the "middle of nowhere" is much closer? The wilderness in central and southeast Idaho is vast (so finding a remote hiding place would not be difficult). Ugh. As much as I hope for closure, I feel like this probably isn't DeOrr but I guess time will tell.
I agree it more than likely isn't DeOrr, but a very very slight chance it could be? It will be interesting to see if the little one can be identified.

(Slightly o/t, I've never heard of anyone "found in a badger hole" before here on WS...anyone?)

(Slightly o/t, I've never heard of anyone "found in a badger hole" before here on WS...anyone?)

No can't say i ever have. Others might have who have been here longer though? I would imagine the badger takes things down into its 'sett', which is their home.
(quote)
A simple sett is made up of a single tunnel, with a sleeping chamber at the end. However, most setts have several entrance holes, and lots of tunnels which link up with each other. The tunnels also link up with sleeping and nursery chambers. The tunnels may have several interlinking passages underground; and may also be arranged so as to provide a constant supply of clean fresh air through the sett in most weathers. Accordingly, entrances may sometimes be on different levels to help stale air rise through the sett and be dissipated into the surrounding woodland.

Well-established setts normally have several entrances which are much larger than rabbit holes, and which have large piles of earth outside. The sett consists of large chambers for sleeping and breeding and small ones used as latrines, interlinked by a maze of tunnels.

A really big sett can have from 50 to 100 or more entrance holes. A sett this big will have been dug out by lots of badgers, over many years. There are some setts which are known to be over a hundred years old. Many generations of badgers have lived in these setts.
http://www.badgerland.co.uk/animals/sett.html

Perhaps the child was buried there long ago along the trail and with any badger activity, digging and scratching around in the earth etc. doing what badgers do while extending their living quarters, could have unearthed the little child that had been buried there many years before?

Perhaps the child was buried there long ago along the trail and with any badger activity, digging and scratching around in the earth etc. doing what badgers do while extending their living quarters, could have unearthed the little child that had been buried there many years before?

I thought that's what the press release implied. If they had just been carried to the site by badger activity, I don't think they would have needed the archaeologists and Native experts to examine the remains in place before moving them. That sounds like they must have had clear evidence of a burial.

But who knows. We've seen press releases be inaccurate or misleading before.

I thought that's what the press release implied. If they had just been carried to the site by badger activity, I don't think they would have needed the archaeologists and Native experts to examine the remains in place before moving them. That sounds like they must have had clear evidence of a burial.

But who knows. We've seen press releases be inaccurate or misleading before.

Sounds logical, but as you say, press releases can be misleading.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall when this news was broken to Jessica & Vernal. I think their reactions would be very telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuLuWooWoo