ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deorr claimed in the interview that he knew he could get service 1/2 mile away. It has also been reported the family had never been to that campground before. Makes me wonder how he knew he could get service there. Did he call someone earlier in the day from that 1/2 mile point? Who? Has LE checked cell records?

How could ggp and the parents vouch for him? The parents just met him that day. And apparently the ggp isn't sufficiently healthy, mentally or physically, to be a reliable witness.

Do we know for sure that the parents just met him that day? I don't remember reading that anywhere, but it's hard to keep track of everything. I do remember reading a comment awhile ago (not on this board) that JM's mom didn't like IR and was mad in the past at JM for having her child around him. This could all be untrue but I just wondered if something was released that indicated that they had just met the day of this camping trip? I'm thinking they knew him before the trip, but who knows...

Did the clerk say she saw DK specifically or just recognized DeOrr and mentioned a black truck?

We do not know. She mentioned a man and a young blonde boy but as far as I know, we do not have her word saying she specifically recognized DK or DeOrr and since she does not wish to talk to the media, we do not have a way to know unless LE discloses the information.

I haven't read where the parents initially said they went back only for a candy bar. Was it a news article that quoted that? Could it possibly have been a comment by someone confused about the clerk saying she saw someone buying candy for a kid who looked like little Deorr?

Your comment made me realize that we've only speculated about what they bought at the store but we don't have any confirmation, right? The clerk said that the boy sighted at 6 pm got candy but have DeOrr's parents said anything to indicate that they bought candy at their earlier stop at the store?

In a small town, there are certain people who earn their nickname like "Grandpa", "Nanny", or "Pops". People find it an endearing terminology and everyone just goes along with it. I don't think it is strange at all for the friend, the Sheriff, or anyone else to call the fella by his "name". It is how they know him and know of him.

There is a lot of speculation on the relationship between the GGF and friend. Another small town thing, imo. It was nothing odd to see fishing buddies who were years apart because they held the same interest and one was just handy to do the digging for worms. ;) And maybe...just maybe...IR doesn't have a grandpa and this is a surrogate of sorts for him. That happens, too.

I don't see anything on his record that would result in a loss of license. He has no DUI's. He has two infractions from 2011 for driving with an expired license and not having insurance. Neither of those would result in a suspended license for a one-time offense. It's possible he is still driving on an expired license, however, if he never went in and renewed it, which would not surprise me.... Regardless, I wouldn't want to ride in a car with him...

I don't think this is the case with him (and boy am I going to feel like the world's worst person if I turn out to be wrong!) can someone with a cognitive delay get a driver's license? If you're 16 and can pass the test, does it matter? Just trying to understand what he is like in regular life - not on camera freshly awakened. He did have a gun that he fired within city limits in 2005, but I know nothing about ID gun laws and whether he would need to register it or even if it belonged to him. Mental status is taken into consideration in some states when registering a firearm.

What if the sheriff says they're POIs and leaves off the part about "because they were at the scene"? ;)

The thing is to me. They clearly state ggp isn't a suspect but they do not say that about mom and dad. If ggp has demtia he could get angry or switch moods very very quickly. I'm a nurse so I've seen allot of patients that flip on a split dime. Is it possible ggp did something and everyone is trying to cover up?

Okay am I just dense? Why would he lose his license for his record? I thought he had non driving offenses? I didn't realize they could take your license for non driving offenses except child support???

Sent from my LG-D321 using Tapatalk

I didn't know about losing your license if you owe child support. He was sued for paternity and ordered to pay child support in 2006.

Maybe so. But wouldn't the clerk then recognize him from being there earlier with DK and his mom? There is just something amiss there.

I have to go back and see whether or not the clerk said it was definitely him. But one or the other has to be incorrect - wrong time or wrong people. Or both.

And still, how is it possible he would be there at 6pm with Deorr? I get that's what you're saying happened, but do you have more of a guess how that might have happened?

We do not know. She mentioned a man and a young blonde boy but as far as I know, we do not have her word saying she specifically recognized DK or DeOrr and since she does not wish to talk to the media, we do not have a way to know unless LE discloses the information.

Thank you! You just saved me searching through about a bazillion articles and timelines.

The thing is to me. They clearly state ggp isn't a suspect but they do not say that about mom and dad. If ggp has demtia he could get angry or switch moods very very quickly. I'm a nurse so I've seen allot of patients that flip on a split dime. Is it possible ggp did something and everyone is trying to cover up?

I was thinking something similar - but if ggp hurt DeOrr due to his dementia, that would be an accident. A terrible, tragic accident, but not something to cover up IMO.

That's kind of a weird way to refer to a friend IMO. I can see referring to my friend's grandpa as "grandpa" or "the grandfather", but not my friend.

~~Is there any possibility (I suppose "anything" is possible) that IR is another grandchild of "GGrandpa" (who was on the trip)??

Watching that video did NOT give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about the guy.

I didn't know about losing your license if you owe child support. He was sued for paternity and ordered to pay child support in 2006.

Here we go

Reasons for Suspension of Driving Privileges
Judges and the Idaho Transportation Department are authorized under state statute to suspend, disqualify, deny, cancel, refuse, or revoke the license of drivers convicted of breaking certain laws, no matter what the driver's point-system count. Those violations include:
Driving while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. 18-8004
Using a motor vehicle to commit a felony. 49-325(1)(b)
Leaving the scene of an accident resulting in injury or death. 49-1301
Leaving the scene of an accident in which you were involved, when the accident caused property damage. 49-1301
Making false statements, oral or written, to the Transportation Department while under oath. 18-5413
Reckless driving. 49-1401
Conviction or action in another state for an offense that, if committed in Idaho, would be grounds for suspension. 49-326
Driving with a suspended license (driving without privileges). 18-8001
Failing to pay a judgment for damages in an accident. 49-1204
Administrative license suspension (effective 1-1-98, suspension for failing a breath, blood, or urine test when tested for DUI).18-8002A
Refusal to Submit to an evidentiary test for DUI. 18-8002
Failing to pay a fine for conviction on an "infraction" charge. (Infractions are a step below misdemeanors and include such minor violations as seat belt tickets.) 49-1505
Fleeing from or eluding a peace officer. 49-1404
Unlawful use of a driver's license or identification card. 49-331, 49-2446
Failure to carry motor vehicle insurance. 49-1232, 49-1229, 49-1428
Alcohol-age violation (possession, use, or procurement). 18-1502
Violation of restriction. 49-317
Possession of marijuana or drug paraphernalia.18-1502(c), 37-2734(A)
School districts may order the Idaho Transportation Department to suspend the driver's license and privileges of a minor who fails to attend school or does not comply with school requirements. 49-303A
Any court or the Department of Health and Welfare may order the Idaho Transportation Department to suspend the driver license and privileges of any person who fails to pay child support, fails to comply with visitation rights, or fails to comply with a subpoena for a paternity suit or child support proceeding. 7-1412

From http://www.itd.idaho.gov/dmv/driverservices/ds_viol.htm

In a small town, there are certain people who earn their nickname like "Grandpa", "Nanny", or "Pops". People find it an endearing terminology and everyone just goes along with it. I don't think it is strange at all for the friend, the Sheriff, or anyone else to call the fella by his "name". It is how they know him and know of him.

There is a lot of speculation on the relationship between the GGF and friend. Another small town thing, imo. It was nothing odd to see fishing buddies who were years apart because they held the same interest and one was just handy to do the digging for worms. ;) And maybe...just maybe...IR doesn't have a grandpa and this is a surrogate of sorts for him. That happens, too.

In my old neighborhood every woman over the age of 60 was "Auntie." :)

Okay. So... Deorr was missing, they started the search, then dad snuck (?) away, got Deorr and was at the store with him at 6pm. I don't see any way this could be what happened. How do you think it would be possible?

Imo the clerk got the time right but saw another guy in a black truck with a kid.

Deorr said in the interview that they were with SAR until about "quarter to four". I can't imagine that would be 3:45pm, as Deorr was reported missing just over an hour before that, at 2:28pm. It probably takes SAR at least a short bit to get organized, and then they have to get all the way out there. I think maybe he meant 3:45am the next morning. Unless SAR arrived and checked in with them for just a few minutes, which I guess is possible. I can't imagine, however, LE allowing them to leave the scene just a few hours after their son went missing. They had to still be questioning them, no?

can someone with a cognitive delay get a driver's license? If you're 16 and can pass the test, does it matter?

He must have received a driver's license at some point in order for it to be expired. It didn't say he was driving without a license, just that it was expired. I don't know what the laws are - I suppose if you can pass the tests and your vision is okay, you can get a license?

I was thinking something similar - but if ggp hurt DeOrr due to his dementia, that would be an accident. A terrible, tragic accident, but not something to cover up IMO.

Maybe embarrassment? I'm not sure what might make them do that if it were the case, but I have had tiny elderly patients under a hundred pounds over power me and I'm over two hundred!

I don't think this is the case with him (and boy am I going to feel like the world's worst person if I turn out to be wrong!) can someone with a cognitive delay get a driver's license? If you're 16 and can pass the test, does it matter? Just trying to understand what he is like in regular life - not on camera freshly awakened. He did have a gun that he fired within city limits in 2005, but I know nothing about ID gun laws and whether he would need to register it or even if it belonged to him. Mental status is taken into consideration in some states when registering a firearm.

There is no state permit required for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

It is unlawful to directly or indirectly sell to any minor under the age of eighteen years any weapon without the written consent of the parent or guardian of the minor.

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun.

From http://www.idaho.gov/laws_rules/firearm.html

What is the status of the case now? Are there people searching still in the area, etc? Any locals can tell us?

Good question! I'm in Idaho but a few hours away so really, all I have is what I read and there hasn't been much to read. The last FB post from Lemhi County was 7/20. I think it was you, SleuthMom, who shared the post from TF Sheriff's office from 7/26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member