ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cruising posts here. IR's interview-he offers nothing, really, nothing at all. But he sure did perk up when the reporter mentioned (paraphrase) "we talked to the mom and dad but we wanted to talk to you and the grandfather"--here IR shows interest: "did you talk to the grandfather?" Could be nothing but it looks a bit like a "tell" to me

Just cruising posts here. IR's interview-he offers nothing, really, nothing at all. But he sure did perk up when the reporter mentioned (paraphrase) "we talked to the mom and dad but we wanted to talk to you and the grandfather"--here IR shows interest: "did you talk to the grandfather?" Could be nothing but it looks a bit like a "tell" to me

My impression was that he wanted to make sure his story jived with GPP's.

I thought she just saw a kid, dad, and black truck, and it became an issue since DK drives a black truck. Easy to confuse or assume it was him because the details basically match up, but based on the time the clerk said he was there it was clearly not him.
I didn't say the clerk may not have her times a bit confused, but I believe her over him. There is something wrong with his story.

Although, he did state they were with searchers and everyone until what...4-ish? I didn't hear him say where they went after that time or mention specifically where he was at 6:00pm.

I'm hoping this is a safe question.

If two persons of interest are in a relationship, would they be questioned separately or together by LE?

I agree and DeOrr Sr. desribes DeOrr as a child who sticks to his parents. Considering that fact, I find the confusion over who was watching him less plausible. I would think DeOrr would have cried or made an attempt to leave with them.
Dad said, "He was right with us." ;)

Someone's probably already mention it but I believe there's two fundraising efforts which were started about the second week.

There are a few fundraisers. One says it is "for increase resources for searching, expenses of missed work for the parents, food and water for those still out searching and anything else that comes up that will help find little DeOrr". I saw another one (bracelets with DeOrr's name I believe) to raise money for SAR. I believe I saw another one for the parents as well.

If two persons of interest are in a relationship, would they be questioned separately or together by LE?
It depends on who is doing the interrogation/questioning. Usually LE prefer to question each person alone, but it isn't always done that way. Sometimes a case unfolds quickly and the initial visit doesn't allow time for a division of statements.

There are a few discrepencies that are bothering me so maybe somebody can offer a suggestion that might change my perspective?

In the parental interview, DeOrr Sr. states that people don't realize how open the campground is and that you can basically see everything when he's explaining their decision to go exploring. However, later in the interview when the topic of abduction is suggested when answering the question about others in area, DeOrr Sr. conveys a sense of concern because you cannot see around you or would not know if somebody had appeared at the campsite due to the limited scope of vision it offers.

The other item I keep mulling over are the 911 calls. We have established that the trip to site is a long, slow journey on difficult terrain. It seems reasonable...I suppose to want to ensure reliable reception. As such, DeOrr Sr. Says he opted to drive away from the site to get better reception. The problem I have is how is it that Jessica connects with a dispatcher and within a very short time frame DeOrr Sr. Is also connected with a dispatcher if he was driving slowly out of the campsite. It's established he is on another line early in her call and I dont see how enough time has lapsed.

I am not placing blame and I understand it's a crisis situation and therefore not a time to nitpick a person's behavior or language but these two items seem odd to me and I am guessing it's just me overthinking or misunderstanding?

Also, he talks later about calling people for help (after 911) and then seems to catch himself and starts talking about the cell signal not being great. I heard a number of contradictions during that interview. It was almost like he was saying why none of the possibilities listed by LE could have happened. He says at one point that he's been told 100% there's no way DeOrr could be in the creek, but then says something later about them not being able to know for sure if he's in the water. (I'm paraphrasing because I don't want to go back and watch the video again. It is too upsetting.) Even abduction - a few times he goes back to "and if that's not the case..." If you think your kid's been abducted, I imagine you really think your kid's been abducted!

That's a good point about the 911 calls. Unless JM waited a while after DK left to make her call, he was able to get a signal pretty quickly after driving off. If it takes 40 minutes to drive 8 miles (I'm not saying that's true - just what's been stated) that's a 5 minute mile. How long until we hear his voice in the background? A couple minutes? So the signal is better 1/2 a mile from the campsite? Is that what he said in the interview? He was afraid of losing the signal midway through his 911 call, so instead of trying first, he took off down the road and tried as he drove? Just trying to understand the timeline. Wonder if they will release his 911 call.

absolutely...I think all people are always questioned alone if it is a true interview.

I didn't say the clerk may not have her times a bit confused, but I believe her over him. There is something wrong with his story.

Although, he did state they were with searchers and everyone until what...4-ish? I didn't hear him say where they went after that time or mention specifically where he was at 6:00pm.

Okay. So... Deorr was missing, they started the search, then dad snuck (?) away, got Deorr and was at the store with him at 6pm. I don't see any way this could be what happened. How do you think it would be possible?

Imo the clerk got the time right but saw another guy in a black truck with a kid.

Also, he talks later about calling people for help (after 911) and then seems to catch himself and starts talking about the cell signal not being great. I heard a number of contradictions during that interview. It was almost like he was saying why none of the possibilities listed by LE could have happened. He says at one point that he's been told 100% there's no way DeOrr could be in the creek, but then says something later about them not being able to know for sure if he's in the water. (I'm paraphrasing because I don't want to go back and watch the video again. It is too upsetting.) Even abduction - a few times he goes back to "and if that's not the case..." If you think your kid's been abducted, I imagine you really think your kid's been abducted!

That's a good point about the 911 calls. Unless JM waited a while after DK left to make her call, he was able to get a signal pretty quickly after driving off. If it takes 40 minutes to drive 8 miles (I'm not saying that's true - just what's been stated) that's a 5 minute mile. How long until we hear his voice in the background? A couple minutes? So the signal is better 1/2 a mile from the campsite? Is that what he said in the interview? He was afraid of losing the signal midway through his 911 call, so instead of trying first, he took off down the road and tried as he drove? Just trying to understand the timeline. Wonder if they will release his 911 call.

But if they are as mystified as we have been then I could see why all the back and forth with the ideas though...

Exactly. In the beginning of this case, the parents told they went back to the store to get Deorr a candy bar.

Once we learned of this long bumpy ride, I particularly, question that statement. In fact in one of my early posts on this case, I made a remark about the 2 year old controlling the parents - meaning who would make that drive for a candy bar!! Really??

The parents statement has since changed to "things", they never said WHAT items they purchased. (I think that is what they called it).

I haven't read where the parents initially said they went back only for a candy bar. Was it a news article that quoted that? Could it possibly have been a comment by someone confused about the clerk saying she saw someone buying candy for a kid who looked like little Deorr?

Okay. So... Deorr was missing, they started the search, then dad snuck (?) away, got Deorr and was at the store with him at 6pm. I don't see any way this could be what happened. How do you think it would be possible?

Imo the clerk got the time right but saw another guy in a black truck with a kid.
Maybe so. But wouldn't the clerk then recognize him from being there earlier with DK and his mom? There is just something amiss there.

Yes, he said 1/2 mile.

What is the status of the case now? Are there people searching still in the area, etc? Any locals can tell us?

I think it's interesting that even IR refers to Grandpa as just the "grandfather." It's like this man is just everyone's grandpa.

That's kind of a weird way to refer to a friend IMO. I can see referring to my friend's grandpa as "grandpa" or "the grandfather", but not my friend.

No, the difference is that Deorr's parents have declined every request to be interviewed by national media. Hopefully, they will change their stance.

Not that it would be worthless now, but I'm under the impression that the most critical time is immediately after a child is abducted. (Maybe one of the reasons an Amber Alert has to be initiated within 12 hours.) If he was abducted, he could be anywhere on the planet by now. The first hours and days, the suspect would necessarily be closer to the abduction point. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaltPetals