ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think what he was wearing is unusual. Sometimes at that age, kids dress themselves or just really like a particular item of clothing and want to wear it all the time. Day or night. Rain or shine.

Great catch! We should look up the burn bans on July 10th for that area. :) Yes, 85 degrees is a bit warm for a fire and quite early for cooking dinner. No reason to have a fire.

No fire restrictions for central ID:

http://idahofireinfo.blogspot.com/p/central-idaho-fire-restrictions.html

We usually start a fire soon after setting camp. It takes awhile to get good coals for roasting hotdogs and making s'mores. Even on very hot days as we love perking coffee.

We normally start a fire as soon as we get to camp, whether it's 30 degrees or 90 degrees. Normally, we do it so it's down to coals around meal time, then add more wood after we eat. It's easier to keep a fire going than it is to start a fire from scratch.

We went camping last weekend along the Salmon River (near Riggins which is nowhere near Leadore, etc.) and there were fire restrictions in place - absolutely no fire allowed, even in designated fire pits. It made me wonder about DK's statement about leaving Deorr with grandpa by the campfire... I wonder if there were fire restrictions there as well - and most people don't build a fire right away, especially in the afternoon. Just thought it was strange. Not sure that it means anything, though.

On one of the news videos, the camera pans over a campsite (not sure if it was the one Deorr went missing from or the one the parents moved to) but it showed a firepit and camp chairs and there was smoke coming from the firepit.

I saw a video of their campsite with a fire going during the day, but I don't know if it was their original campsite or one they moved to after the search began. Interesting info about the fire restrictions! I also thought if they did build a fire right away or if ggp and IR got there earlier and built a campfire, it wouldn't make sense to leave a toddler near the fire with people who can't move very fast.

I posted practically the same thing before I read your post. :) There are fire restrictions in the state I live in that have been ongoing. It's completely understandable due to the drought and hot weather, but it takes a bit of fun out of a camping trip to not be able to have a fire.

Other than the road to the campground, I think there are trails all around... for hikers, or people on horses... ATV...

I suppose someone could've gotten to that campground (and away) on foot, or by horse or by ATV, and not necessarily in proximity of that one road.

Except for on foot, every other mode of transportation is pretty noisy. And if someone carried him off on foot, I think it would be more likely that DeOrr would have left a scent trail for the dogs.

Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I checked the weather in Leadore for that day. The temp was 85 degrees. I'm not saying it means anything, but pretty warm to have a jacket on.
.http://www.wundermap.net/personal-w...storyTable#history/s20150610/e20150710/mmonth

I see where it says the average high temp is 85 on July 10, but the actual high temp was 74 (and that said at the airport closest to Leadore).

This site says the high was 69 in Leadore. http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/l/83464:4:US

Except for on foot, every other mode of transportation is pretty noisy. And if someone carried him off on foot, I think it would be more likely that DeOrr would have left a scent trail for the dogs.

I know some pretty quiet horses...

Still nothing. :(
Am marking my spot, again.
I'd thought that abduction had been ruled out earlier on; but I'd have to red back through many posts and am really not sure this was even stated.
IF DeOrr was abducted--- it had to be a crime of opportunity, since it wasn't very crowded in that area and someone driving off in a cloud of dust (after grabbing him) would have certainly been noticed !

Baffling that there's no scent markers at all.
Here's a thought/question: If someone is picked up and thrown into a vehicle, and driven away...... can sar dogs find any scent at all ?
Somehow I thought they could follow it for a distance.

Maybe I've been reading too many mystery novels. Anyone remember P.D. James ? I thought he was a superb author.
sorry off-topic.
:moo:

She, actually, and she was a spectacular author. :) I think "Children of Men" should be required reading for, oh, pretty much everyone. But I also loved her classic murder mysteries.

(Also, marking my place.)

I agree with those who have stated it is much cooler at the higher elevation. We recently tent camped in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee. I don't know the exact elevation (didn't check) it it WAS much cooler. Also, if you'll notice in one of the photos of Little Deorr, he is wearing a camo "jacket" but it appears to be made from lightweight fleece.

I agree with those who have stated it is much cooler at the higher elevation. We recently tent camped in the Cumberland Mountains of Tennessee. I don't know the exact elevation (didn't check) it WAS much cooler and I think their elevation was considerably higher. Also, if you'll notice in one of the photos of Little Deorr, he is wearing a camo "jacket" but it appears to be made from lightweight fleece.

I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on his blanket not being with him. I have a 4 year old and honestly if she was missing one of the things I would do is cling to her "cuddle monkey" as she calls it and be so devastated that she was without it. She by no means walks around with the monkey all day long and does not take it to daycare; however I have said on many occasions that she can't go anywhere without it. I remember her heartbroken tears when we left the monkey at home one trip. She sleeps with it and if she is watching tv on the couch she will have it with her but for the most part it stays at the house with those few exceptions when she sneaks it into the car with her. When they said he didn't go anywhere without those items I just took it to mean those were his favorite things and would sleep with them, take them on trips, play with them constantly, etc. I don't think they meant he literally never put them down as that would be kinda weird.

Yes, I agree that they probably didn't mean that Deorr has those things in his hands every second of the day. Plus, they were camping. From what I recall from the video, the blanket looked a little big (folded a few times). If they let him carry that around the campground, with him being such a little guy, he would likely end up dragging it. It would soon be covered with dirt, twigs, pine needles and so on. Plus, it would be dangerous to have it being dragged around a campfire. They may have been waiting until Deorr was settled in the tent (or wherever he was going to take his nap), sitting in a camp chair, etc., before they gave it to him to avoid it getting dirty.

I have not read or seen anything in the news or in the interview that said the cup and the monkey were in the truck -- just the blanket.

blifaloo touts itself as an entertainment site. It should not bee considered an acceptable source site for this discussion.

tlcya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member