ID - Doomsday Cult Victims - Joshua Vallow - Tylee Ryan - Tammy Daybell - Charles Vallow - *Arrests* #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna guess his alibi. At home all night with my darling wife Tammy.

Oh wait, that's not an alibi if the wife's been murdered and can't confirm or deny, is it?

I wonder if Lori has proof he was with her?? That would be interreeeesting................

I wish I could find Chad's notice of alibi. I wonder if it's one of the sealed docs, doesn't seem like it would be. Why is JP stating 3 weeks later that he filed it?

It is the second order to seal dated 1/5 citing privacy rights and rights to a fair trial. Good move, we have seen her banshee trail of destruction through the court system. Plus it doesn't give her two months to spin her narrative against his alibi.

Interesting that it is followed by the states motion to Lori to double down on her no mental defense. April can't get here soon enough!

Screenshots_2023-01-30-03-43-18.png

Even if Lori had no hand at all in the murders of her children (which I don't believe), she is still guilty of not reporting them missing, and not caring where they were and what had happened to them. But I personally believe that she was fully involved. MOO
Thus the original charge (IIRC) of neglect resulting in death as opposed to murder. I believe that was kept on the books in case the murder charge didn’t stick for any reason. Anyone remember that better that better than I, and with insight to explain the legal implications?

Thus the original charge (IIRC) of neglect resulting in death as opposed to murder. I believe that was kept on the books in case the murder charge didn’t stick for any reason. Anyone remember that better that better than I, and with insight to explain the legal implications?

do you mean this:

Conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence charges dismissed without prejudice on 7/29/21.

do you mean this:

Conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence charges dismissed without prejudice on 7/29/21.
No, that isn’t it, though the word “conspiracy” was indeed part of the charge I was thinking of — but alas, that word triggered my memory and I now realize I was conflating this case with that of JonBenet Ramsey.

No, that isn’t it, though the word “conspiracy” was indeed part of the charge I was thinking of — but alas, that word triggered my memory and I now realize I was conflating this case with that of JonBenet Ramsey.

July 2020

The two counts of desertion or nonsupport of minor children were dropped by Judge Michelle Mallard on Thursday. Vallow still faces two felony charges of conspiracy to destroy or conceal evidence, as well as misdemeanors for contempt, resisting and obstructing, and criminal solicitation to commit a crime.

These were the original Madison County charges.

July 2020

The two counts of desertion or nonsupport of minor children were dropped by Judge Michelle Mallard on Thursday. Vallow still faces two felony charges of conspiracy to destroy or conceal evidence, as well as misdemeanors for contempt, resisting and obstructing, and criminal solicitation to commit a crime.

Then murder charges were added:

By Andy Rose, CNN
Updated 3:16 PM EDT, Wed May 26, 2021

A grand jury in Idaho on Tuesday indicted Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow on murder charges in connection with the deaths of Vallow’s two children, Tylee Ryan and JJ Vallow.

Daybell also is charged with murder in the case of his ex-wife, Tammy, who died in her sleep a few weeks before Daybell got remarried.

“Every person who has worked on this case is to be commended for their diligence and steadfast pursuit of justice for Tammy, Tylee and JJ,” Madison County Prosecutor Rob Wood said in a statement.

Does anyone have a link to the Court Docket for Chad and Lori?

Thank You!

documents filed in Chad's case

filed 25 Jan 2023 - notice of service - John Prior says Chad's notice of alibi was served on the State on 3 Jan 2023, and disclosure of Chad's forensic pathologist's expert witness report on 25 Jan 2023
https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR22211623/012523 Notice of Service.pdf

filed 26 Jan 2023 - declaration of Greg Hampikian in support of motion to extend time - he says he is retained as DNA expert for Chad and will need 8 weeks from receipt of State's DNA evidence to review and provide his report
https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR22211623/012623 Declaration of Greg Hampikian.pdf

filed 26 Jan 2023 - motion in limine filed by the State to exclude any potential mental health evidence for Chad at the time of the crimes, based on his waiver of the defense
https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR22211623/012623 Motion in Limine.pdf

Hampikian I recognise from the Knox trial. Claimed that DNA evidence was contaminated and unreliable. Based on what exactly I don't recall.

I'm gonna guess his alibi. At home all night with my darling wife Tammy.

Oh wait, that's not an alibi if the wife's been murdered and can't confirm or deny, is it?

I wonder if Lori has proof he was with her?? That would be interreeeesting................

Hey Tortoise

I took a long break from this trial but it seems things are now moving?

Do you think this will be a cut throat defence?

i.e. Lori blames Dear Chad and conveniently deceased Alex for everything?

What is Chad's angle?

It was all Alex?

I have yet to see an indication that Lori will blame Chad for anything. I don't know why she doesn't turn on him. Perhaps she's focusing on the murder and not the conspiracy part. OTOH, Chad was signaling from day one that he'll throw her under the bus.

Tuesday, January 31st:
*Review Hearing (@ 10am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) – for *Lori Norene Vallow aka Lori Norene Daybell (46/now 49) arrested (in Kauai, Hawaii on 2/20/20) & indicted & charged (5/25/21) & re-arraigned (4/19/22) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4(for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): Chad only: 1st Degree murder. Count 7: Lori only: Grand theft (related to social security survivor benefits allocated for the care of minors Tylee & JJ). Plead not guilty. DA will seek DP. Fremont County
Conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence charges dismissed without prejudice on 7/29/21. Fremont County
Transferred to mental hospital on 6/24/21. Found competent on 4/1/22 & transferred custody (4/14/22) to the Madison County Detention facility. Idaho District Judge Steven W. Boyce suspended the case until Vallow’s competency can be determined on 10/6/22 & her 1/9/23 trial has been vacated. Found competent (again) on 11/15/22.
Trial set to begin on 4/3/23 thru 6/9/23 @ 9am. Trial will be held in Ada County.

Arrest & Grand Jury & Court info from 3/5/20 thru 1/17/23 reference post #98 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ybell-charles-vallow-arrests-67.655419/page-5

1/12/23: 2nd stipulation for consumptive testing of forensic evidence (hair). 1/17/23: Subpoenas Duces Tecum issued on Dave Channer (is with the LDS church) & Carrie Reed (President of LIFE Academy in Gilbert, AZ where JJ Vallow went to school. All JJ’s records must be provided). 1/18/23: Order on Defendant's Bill of Particulars & Order on defendant's Motion to Compel. Next motions hearing on 1/19/23.
1/19/23 Update: Regarding Motion to consider death penalty unconstitutional. Judge Stephen Boyce heard arguments from Attorney Jim Archibald & Prosecutor Lindsey Blake & will take the order under advisement & issue a written order. Next motions hearing in the case is scheduled on 2/9/23.
11/23/23: Defendant's Supplemental Discovery Request filed (a request for doorbell video for the apartments for the whole of September 2019). 1/25/23: State files Motion to Compel (to provide the time of Vallow alleged alibi, names of her expert witnesses for trial & any evidence connected to her penalty phase). 1/25/23: Discovery Disclosure re 1st & 2nd stipulations for consumptive testing of forensic evidence (hair) filed by Vallow defense. 1/25/23: State’s filed its Discovery disclosure regarding DNA reports. 1/26/23: Defense files Motion to Dismiss for lack of a speedy trial.
1/26/23: Filed by the State - subpoena duces tecum addressed to Joseph Osmond of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, requesting proof of church membership of Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow & records of each visit to/attendance at a church temple by Chad & Lori from 1/11/18 to 11/30/19. Filed by the State - Motion in Limine on mental health evidence - State is asking for an order excluding evidence from a mental health expert at any time - State wants a ruling that the introduction of evidence of her beliefs is not a justification to open the door at trial to mental condition evidence as a defense to negate guilt.
1/30/23 Update: Review hearing set for 1/31/23.
*Madison County: Pretrial conference hearing on 8/17/21 & trial set to begin on 8/30/21 were both vacated.
*AZ – Indicted (6/24/21) & served (6/29/21) with conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder in the death of former husband Charles Vallow (62).
At the time, Chandler Police officials said Vallow was at the home to pick up his son & later engaged in an argument with his wife, Lori Vallow. Vallow's brother-in-law, Alex Cox, was also in the home. Investigators said Cox intervened on his sister's behalf. Vallow & the brother-in-law were later involved in a physical fight & Vallow was shot by Cox. On Sept. 30, 2021 Vallow's autopsy report was released. The Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office stated the cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds & the manner of death is homicide. In the medical examiner's report, the evidence of injury details more gunshot wounds to Vallow's chest, bruises on the right side of his chest, abrasions on the left arm & right hand, as well as on the knees. The toxicology report showed no positive findings of drugs in Vallow's system. A Maricopa County Attorney’s Office spokeswoman said in June, 2021 that Lori’s case in Idaho will run its course before she faces the charge in Arizona. Maricopa County

ALSO:
*Review Hearing (@ 10am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – for *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 54) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4(for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. Fremont County
Trial set to begin on 4/3/23 thru 6/9/23 @ 9am. Trial will be held in Ada County. (will last 10 weeks)
Previous charges, Grand jury indictment & Court info from 6/10/20 thru 1/3/23 reference post #99 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ybell-charles-vallow-arrests-67.655419/page-5

1/10/23 Update: Motions hearing on 1/19/23 re motion to continue & 2/9/23 both at 9am & pretrial hearing on 2/23/23. 1/12/23: 2nd Stipulation for consumptive testing of forensic evidence on a newly discovered hair sample. State's response to defendant's motion for a joint settlement & strategy session.
1/19/23 Update: John Prior asked Judge Stephen Boyce to delay the trial until April 2024 as he is awaiting potential DNA evidence from the Idaho State Lab that he worries will take time to get back. Judge Boyce DENIED the request to continue but said he will not “force” Chad into a trial if he & Prior have not had enough time to examine the evidence. “If we are on the eve of trial & the State has exculpatory evidence & did not provide Mr. Prior enough time, at that point, the cases may be severed,” Boyce said. But says that it is premised on speedy trial rights expressed by co-defendant Vallow Daybell. Judge Boyce DENIED State’s request to sequester jury: " I believe adequate steps can be put into place to not require sequestration during the course of the trial & the court will take those steps very seriously." Judge Boyce DENIED motion for Lori & Chad to meet. Expresses security concerns (not having a deputy in the room with Chad & Lori) and says "it's an idea that is full of pitfalls that would far outweigh any conveniences." See post #117 (article) on page 6 for hearing info. Next motions hearing in the case is scheduled on 2/9/23.
1/25/23: Discovery Disclosure re 1st & 2nd stipulations for consumptive testing of forensic evidence (hair) filed by Daybell defense. 1/25/23: Notice of Service. John Prior says Chad's notice of alibi was served on the State on 1/3/23 & disclosure of Chad's forensic pathologist's expert witness report on /25/23. 1/26/23: Declaration of Greg Hampikian in support of motion to extend time - he says he is retained as DNA expert for Chad & will need 8 weeks from receipt of State's DNA evidence to review & provide his report. Motion in Limine filed by the State to exclude any potential mental health evidence for Chad at the time of the crimes, based on his waiver of the defense.
1/30/23 Update: Review hearing set for 1/31/23.

Hey Tortoise

I took a long break from this trial but it seems things are now moving?

Do you think this will be a cut throat defence?

i.e. Lori blames Dear Chad and conveniently deceased Alex for everything?

What is Chad's angle?

It was all Alex?
Yeah, 'Alex did the whole lot'. Good job he told Zulema he could foresee that he would be their fall guy.

I reckon it will go something like this..

Lori will testify and have a really tall tale to tell. There will be revelations of how she was victim to Alex's jealousy, violent abuse and control since childhood, she was terrified of him. He followed her wherever she lived, got violent with all her husbands, killed the child witnesses.

Chad won't testify but he will advance a defense through questioning of Lori. Same defense, Alex was a crazy gun man and forced Chad into silence by burying the children in his yard. Killed Tammy because Lori must've asked him to.

Maybe!

July 2020

Yes. Important to keep all of this in mind. Hard to keep the basics straight in the mountain of minutiae.

Yeah, 'Alex did the whole lot'. Good job he told Zulema he could foresee that he would be their fall guy.

I reckon it will go something like this..

Lori will testify and have a really tall tale to tell. There will be revelations of how she was victim to Alex's jealousy, violent abuse and control since childhood, she was terrified of him. He followed her wherever she lived, got violent with all her husbands, killed the child witnesses.

Chad won't testify but he will advance a defense through questioning of Lori. Same defense, Alex was a crazy gun man and forced Chad into silence by burying the children in his yard. Killed Tammy because Lori must've asked him to.

Maybe!
This case has made me just crazy enough to think this sounds 100% plausible!

One idea that might explain part of what we are seeing so far from Lori's defense, and how they might have a plan for that strategy to work ---

They have gotten LE to see Lori as a wacko (too mentally unstable to go to trial) in the delays.

In so doing, the defense has enticed LE to think she might ride that "insanity" idea as an excuse, so we are seeing LE go out of their way to shut the door on "insanity" defense, going so far as getting a ruling that no mention of insanity (or craziness) can be used in the trial.

Did they just shut themselves into a trap? Because, when defense can't mention craziness no matter what, neither can LE!!

Meanwhile, what if Lori has no desire to claim to be crazy in her trial, but instead she needs the opposite - she needs to have them endorse her as sane and rational and knowledgeable -- as a strategy for her to testify. Now, if LE says she is sane and rational and thinks properly, haven't they somewhat endorsed her story if she testifies and has a story that fits the facts they present?

So after LE gives their evidence, while making sure to convince the jury of how sane she is, here she goes to testify why it's all wrong and maybe she gives a very wild explanation of events -- while LE has to sit there, having shut the door on any mention of craziness when she does so?! Now they would have to rebut her account, as wild as it may be, while also saying Lori is rational and sane and thinks properly. If she can make a story that fits the facts but with a different explanation, then yikes. The crazier the story, then the more a jury might begin to wonder if it might be true when it comes from someone that EVERYONE is telling you is rational and sane.

Idaho statutes state “Mental condition shall not be a defense to any charge of criminal conduct.” How would your intriguing scenario play out, given that? It’s hard for me to believe that Lori’s (or Chad’s for that matter) mental health won’t be a factor in this trial, in spite of that statute. I love your posts, by the way.

Idaho statutes state “Mental condition shall not be a defense to any charge of criminal conduct.” How would your intriguing scenario play out, given that? It’s hard for me to believe that Lori’s (or Chad’s for that matter) mental health won’t be a factor in this trial, in spite of that statute. I love your posts, by the way.

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes the law says "the defendant was crazy" is not a defense. And what I am saying goes right along with the law! I'm just noting that despite the law, LE is PROACTIVELY putting up extra barriers that are intended to tell everyone that Lori isn't crazy, and to keep anyone from saying otherwise. Which, oops, will include themselves, having made sure no one will be able to say she's crazy, even should Lori bring crazy into the courtroom in an explanation.

For some reason as they angle over what and can't be said in the trial, it feels to me like the old story of Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit. The Fox caught the Rabbit and was trying to decide what to do with him.

“I’ve got you this time, Brer Rabbit,” said Brer Fox, jumping up and shaking off the dust. “You’ve sassed me for the very last time. Now I wonder what I should do with you?”

Brer Rabbit’s eyes got very large. “Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“Maybe I should roast you over a fire and eat you,” mused Brer Fox. “No, that’s too much trouble. Maybe I’ll hang you instead.”

“Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please,” said Brer Rabbit. “Only please, Brer Fox, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“If I’m going to hang you, I’ll need some string,” said Brer Fox. “And I don’t have any string handy. But the stream’s not far away, so maybe I’ll drown you instead.”

“Drown me! Roast me! Hang me! Do whatever you please,” said Brer Rabbit. “Only please, Brer Fox, please don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

“The briar patch, eh?” said Brer Fox. “What a wonderful idea! You’ll be torn into little pieces!”

Grabbing up the rabbit, Brer Fox swung him around and around and then flung him head over heels into the briar patch. Brer Rabbit let out such a scream as he fell that all of Brer Fox’s fur stood straight up. Brer Rabbit fell into the briar bushes with a crash and a mighty thump. Then there was silence.

Brer Fox cocked one ear toward the briar patch, listening for whimpers of pain. But he heard nothing. Brer Fox cocked the other ear toward the briar patch, listening for Brer Rabbit’s death rattle. He heard nothing.

Then Brer Fox heard someone calling his name. He turned around and looked up the hill. Brer Rabbit was sitting on a log combing the tar out of his fur with a wood chip and looking smug.

“I was bred and born in the briar patch, Brer Fox,” he called. “Born and bred in the briar patch.”

And Brer Rabbit skipped away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members