Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 17, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *mom arrested* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From anamanunee Dec, 2019: "Tylee's father fought for custody for YEARS. Weeks after he was granted custody, Charles & Lori up & moved to Hawaii to "start a juice bar" & took Tylee with them. It was a very shady & spur of the moment departure."

Last night's Dateline added to this narrative by reporting that Lori had been ordered to pay Joe Ryan child support, and that's another reason she fled the state with Tylee. And then, of course, he died. Thank you, Diggdeeperstill, for bumping this original post from December!
I was always a bit afraid to bump it because she wasn’t verified, take that as you may, I was surprised the post was allowed to stay. But it did and I’m glad. And it was, what felt like at the time, heartfelt information, that ironically differed 180 from what @echoecho222 shared. Along with the timeline, a good refresher is the first couple threads in this case.

The funeral was in Utah though. Not sure how far away this is from Rexburg but I would be surprised if they drove all the way back to Rexburg for Lori's cookies and koolaid jmo

There was a memorial in Rexburg the day after the funeral.
View Tamara

The story as I recall is that the cookie party was after the memorial in Rexburg.

2) The phone call, when MG called AlxC, she asked him, do I want to know what happened to JJ? Why didn’t she ask him about Tylee? Because I believe she already knew Tylee’s fate. That is why I think LE is allowing her to do these interviews, hoping she will contradict herself. I believe there is strong evidence in the fact she didn’t inquire about Tylee. I hope we see that brought up. In my opinion, she is guilty of something, not reporting a crime, not reporting a death, not reporting a murder, something. All my opinion only.
I couldn't agree more! Yes, why not ask about Tylee? I imagine she will say that she believed Tylee was at BYU.

I brought this up yesterday, that according to the timeline MG spoke with Gilbert police that very same day.

Gilbert PD had only to contact Rexburg PD with this information. Rexburg Police only had to attach the report from the Gilbert PD that MG reported that JJ had not been in AZ for months to see that LV lied that JJ was with MG.

Apparently that never happened? MG contacted Rexburg PD directly on December 6 to report that she had been asked to lie about this.

26 Nov 2019, about 9:30 pm - Rexburg PD have not heard from MG so they call Gilbert PD. LE in Arizona go to MG’s home but she is not there. GPD reaches MG by phone; She tells them JJ has not been there for several months. (Affidavit of Probable Cause Doc; East Idaho News)

6 Dec 2019 - RPD is contacted by Melanie Gibb. MG says that both Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow called MG on Nov 26, 2019, at separate times and asked her to tell police that she had JJ even though JJ was not with her. “Melanie informed RPD that she declined Chad’s and Lori’s requests.”

ID - Joshua Vallow & Tylee Ryan, Rexburg, Sept 2019 TIMELINE ONLY - *NO DISCUSSION*
Good point... she wasn’t home , or maybe just didn’t answer door. I reviewed the Affidavit Probable cause and it reads as our timeline does! https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR33-20-0302/Affidavit of Probable Cause.pdf

I'm curious whether anyone here knows of or has reference to information regarding the use of a cadaver dog to pinpoint the location of the children's remains. I was made aware of the use of a dog but haven't mentioned it here because I understand I can't discuss information acquired in confidence unless it is verified. However, today I found reference in the Rexburg Standard Journal that reported a cadaver dog was observed on the property that Tuesday, confirming my own info. Of course, that would only make sense given that we know the GPS, as accurate as it is, still has about a 40-foot diameter error factor. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on the forensic work done on the site and would be grateful if anyone has info regarding the activity with cadaver dogs at the scene. Thanks.

Maybe this will help? From the EastIdahoNews.com helicopter, we noticed a police dog on Daybell’s land as police executed a search warrant. It’s likely the animal helped to find the remains, Shen said.
Authorities 'meticulously' building case in deaths of JJ and Tylee, expert says | East Idaho News

Did they really need 60 burner phones? MG previously mentioned that Lori had 3 phones and in January at a police station Lori mentioned using her mother's old phone after Charles had taken her purse. Was Alex still using his own phone during children's murders? Why would they need 30 email addresses? Was all this just to hide communication between Lori and Chad? What other operation was going on?

Good point... she wasn’t home , or maybe just didn’t answer door. I reviewed the Affidavit Probable cause and it reads as our timeline does! https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR33-20-0302/Affidavit of Probable Cause.pdf
According to the affidavit above, when Rexburg police called on November 26, Melanie didn't answer or call them back. At 9:30PM that day Gilbert police went to her house. She wasn't home, but this time she answered the call, stating that JJ was not staying at her house.

Earlier that day, Chad asked her not to pick up the phone if the police called.

Did they really need 60 burner phones? MG previously mentioned that Lori had 3 phones and in January at a police station Lori mentioned using her mother's old phone after Charles had taken her purse. Was Alex still using his own phone during children's murders? Why would they need 30 email addresses? Was all this just to hide communication between Lori and Chad? What other operation was going on?
Exactly? I’ve never had one of those that come with a limited amount of minutes, can you add minutes or do you just buy a new phone? Why in the heck do you need so many? And so many email addresses?

No tears or sadness in the videos I’ve seen from the family members. The whole group seem very cold. And all the smiles? I just don’t understand. 2 murdered children had my eyes watered up thinking how they died and buried like animals and with animals by animals! JMOO
I was thinking about this the whole time I watched the interview last night. The only emotion shown was a smile. It was unnerving! Where is the humanity? The compassion? The regret for not taking action to help these two children? Cold as ICE!
ETA: It reminds me of The Stepford Wives.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Exactement, my dear 'astings," as Hercule would say. 60 burner phones means a good-sized conspiracy run by somebody who knows opsec.

Added: The significant thing is not just that Dateline tweeted this, but that LE presumably let them. Perhaps they decided to increase the heat on the larger group that some of us have suspected all along.

Last edited:
I'm curious whether anyone here knows of or has reference to information regarding the use of a cadaver dog to pinpoint the location of the children's remains. I was made aware of the use of a dog but haven't mentioned it here because I understand I can't discuss information acquired in confidence unless it is verified. However, today I found reference in the Rexburg Standard Journal that reported a cadaver dog was observed on the property that Tuesday, confirming my own info. Of course, that would only make sense given that we know the GPS, as accurate as it is, still has about a 40-foot diameter error factor. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on the forensic work done on the site and would be grateful if anyone has info regarding the activity with cadaver dogs at the scene. Thanks.
@vislaw . Yes, a cadaver dog (a black one, possibly bull terrier/mix) was on site and indicating locations by about 8:00 a.m. Near the fire-pit. Near the tree by the swampy/pond area. Another spot near the northeast corner by the northern fence. The back-hoe later parked near here, but as nothing was found here by hand shoveling or apparently discovered by LIDAR/GPR (ground penetrating RADAR), it was omitted from the search. Another indication was where the septic tank cover for the old trailer was on the property. This trailer was removed by the previous owner before Daybell's bought the property. Two searchers inspected this place and it was left alone after.
Soon after the black dog, another that looked more like a lab or retriever indicated the same locations. Also, directly after the cadaver dog indications, LIDAR and GPR was used in those locations. Then after the LIDAR/GPR results, searchers began digging in the locations near the fire-pit and the tree.
By 9:45-10 the object in which remains were found was discovered by the tree. The remains were completely exhumed by 11:54 a.m., zipped into a body bag at 12:50 p.m., and placed into a brand-new black truck at 12:51 p.m. and removed from the property at 12:59 p.m.
Digging with the back-hoe began near the fire-pit at about 12:55 p.m. after the pet cemetery was removed earlier.

I was thinking along those lines. I've heard it said on Dateline and other shows that people who are murdered have stories to tell, and investigators and medical examiners are their storytellers. How fascinating and bittersweet it would be if young JJ ends up telling the story that needs to be told.
@vislaw . Yes, a cadaver dog (a black one, possibly bull terrier/mix) was on site and indicating locations by about 8:00 a.m. Near the fire-pit. Near the tree by the swampy/pond area. Another spot near the northeast corner by the northern fence. The back-hoe later parked near here, but as nothing was found here by hand shoveling or apparently discovered by LIDAR/GPR (ground penetrating RADAR), it was omitted from the search. Another indication was where the septic tank cover for the old trailer was on the property. This trailer was removed by the previous owner before Daybell's bought the property. Two searchers inspected this place and it was left alone after.
Soon after the black dog, another that looked more like a lab or retriever indicated the same locations. Also, directly after the cadaver dog indications, LIDAR and GPR was used in those locations. Then after the LIDAR/GPR results, searchers began digging in the locations near the fire-pit and the tree.
By 9:45-10 the object in which remains were found was discovered by the tree. The remains were completely exhumed by 11:54 a.m., zipped into a body bag at 12:50 p.m., and placed into a brand-new black truck at 12:51 p.m. and removed from the property at 12:59 p.m.
Digging with the back-hoe began near the fire-pit at about 12:55 p.m. after the pet cemetery was removed earlier.

Reads like a Stephen King novel ...
( apologies to Stephen K)

Something I have been wondering.... where was or who had Tylee's phone during the Yellowstone trip? I feel like she would have been taking selfies with JJ while there; and using social media and things of that nature during the drive at least. I have questioned in my mind if Tylee's phone was taken away after CVs death because LV may have been nervous about Tylee sharing info with Colby or police or whomever.

Am I reading too much into a lack of mentioning Tylee's phone activity?

Also, I believe there is no way that LV would have allowed Tylee to go to college because she would lose a lot of control. And she definitely would not have allowed Tylee to turn 18 because then she literally has zero control of any kind because Tylee would have been an adult and didn't have to answer to her and police could question her without parent approval.

My thoughts on why CR and the Daybell kids were not killed was because they are all adults that wouldn't hamper CD & LVs fun because they are no longer legally responsible to house, clothe and feed them nor do they require parental supervision. So with no minor dependents, Chad and Lori could go live in their fantasy Hawaiian paradise.

Here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo
Janis Cox stated in an interview that Tylee's phone had been "confiscated",

Janis Cox: She told me … in — September … that she had confiscated Tylee's cell phone.

Janis and Summer say Lori didn't want Tylee to be tracked through her phone; she was always fearful of those who she said threatened her and the kids.

Summer Shiflet: She put her daughter first all the time. … she loves her daughter and her children. And … she always was, like, putting Tylee's … and JJ's needs ahead of her own.
Search for missing Idaho children reveals "no sign of life, no sign of death" - CBS News
Reading the exchange in hindsight is of course even more disturbing, but even at the time, it was terrifying how Janis could have thought it was in any way normal (this whole family is far from normal) to have a teenager's phone taken away for months at a time? A couple of days, or a week if the teen did something truly awful with the phone or SM, but beyond that would be emotional and psychological abuse IMO and certainly served to control and isolate Tylee even before her murder. Tylee truly was trapped in a nightmare for years. :(

My understanding is that it was 11 days between the first call from LE regarding if she had JJ, and when she met with them again for full interview.

I get in the middle-ground-weeds on this little issue. I do not blame her for waiting a bit to get back to police.

BUT, 11 days.... how much soul searching did she really have to do?
I don't think many of us believe that she has "totally rewound" her far-out beliefs. I still always think (and it was verified with her tone and comments in the interview with Nate) that she was more concerned about her own potential legal problems rather than the true welfare of the children.

We have had some good back and forth about LE probably glad she is out babbling. Maybe part of their thinking is that with Melanie talking more, maybe Lori will try some vengeful actions.... I feel Lori would protect MBP, but not MG.
Perhaps during those 10-11 days MG spoke to other key players again and made the decision to come forward based on their feedback (or lack thereof), as well as advice from her Bishop and friends. It still seems strange that Alex knew she would go to police and she did not think she was in danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli