ID ID - Lonnie Jones, 13, Orofino, September 1951

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You realize, that Orrin wasn't at the time no old man or something. I have no exact birth date at hand, but over the thumb, he was maybe around 20? So someone should thank you, in the name of every late teenager who ever dated a girl in the middle teens+, for cancelling that "habitual". You know, I remember some school mates. He was 17 when they met, she 15. Unfortunately, his 18th b-day ways a few weeks before her 16th. So, well, technically, he was what you define, in entirely wrongful re-interpretation of the term, "a pedophile". Habitual maybe, since he regularly slept with her (that school mate, not talking Orrin here). Oh well, I think, he still does, hr youngest child just graduated ...
What I try to explain is, you should try to learn about the people before judging on incomplete data. Orrin was bright when it came to numbers, he was a hard worker, he hadn't a lot of the common vices of the boys in her age and the area. Only thing is, his social communicative skills were a little behind in some aspects. So, given the "competition" and the content of Weippe's showcase, Orrin was a catch. Which is probably why he got permission from the girl's father. Not that pedophiles normally ask for that, but Orrin did.

The problem between Orrin and Lonnie's family started, as it sounds from both sides of the aisle, when Orrin came to Weippe. He was a hard worker, he avoided alcohol and therefore the regular "beer with the guys", he avoided drugs, another social glue back there and then. In fact, he avoided anything, that made the world even more confusing than it was. That's a typical behavior for patients with mild forms of autism. They struggle hard enough to hold control over everything, they don't need additional recreational drugs to complicate that even more. But it makes them socially isolated. Being socially isolated in a society like Weippe is kind of the social death penalty. The resident bullies bite out who is different, bite out, who doesn't bow to them. Problem was, they couldn't bite out Wood. He was too strong, too straight. So all they could do, was not liking him.
And just to get this clear: That accident wasn't a classical driving accident. That was driving and operating logging equipment. A little bit heavier. The victim was caught under some logs in the end, but alive. Orrin had no way to get the injured man out, so he went for help. The victim was still alive when help arrived and stated to the victim's how it happened. That is the reason, why police ruled that as accident. But the victim didn't make it and it took years and years of twisting the story to make Orrin look guilty. Why? Because basically, if snow fell, the clan said, it was Orrin's fault. If the sun was hot - it was Orrin's fault. So yes, it's a little hard to dig through that and it took me some time.

Cunningham was caught, after he raped another boy. Raped, but not killed. He tried to scare the boy in staying silent by the threat of killing him, if he wouldn't. Remember, as it appears, Lonnie was raped before the fair.
The other case was a boy the same age group. Approach was a "do I know you" situation and indeed, Cunningham knew that boy. He had done carpentry work in his neighborhood. Just like he knew Lonnie at least by sight. The lumber mill cutting the stolen wood from those guys near the creek, was just across the street (well, in fact it is still).
Cunningham was arrested and got a mandatory life sentence. Some other things came up at the same time, for example, that his brother in law was also arrested for having committed the longest and biggest series of burglaries in the county. And I think, his father in law, who was caught with a stolen RV. So, there were some cases closed, but nobody looked at the Lonnie Jones murder because police was so sure, Orrin did it. Lonnie's whole family had told them so, yeah ...
Now, Henry Savage. I have no real idea what he did (except talking to the press). He died many years ago and none of his old notes survived. So if anything survived, it has to be in the case file, to which I have no access. Now, I have this only second hand and only from one party, but it appears as if Savage was the guy getting the truth serum via his FBI contacts. It's not, that one could buy that stuff in Orofino's grocery, right. Also, Savage appears to have been present at least at the last interrogation of Orrin Wood under truth serum AND on a lie detector and that one still didn't give them anything for an arrest. Not for lack of trying, I would say.
However, it appears, that by 1952, the whole thing, including Savage, stuck. The local representative contacted a senator and, according to the press from back then, asked for an official investigation by the FBI. Hoover personally promised, still, nothing happened. The FBI gave some lab support.
In the meantime, Cunningham was in prison and already forgotten. Nobody actually thought about his presence anymore, till others here on this board, dug him out. As far as I can see, this was the first time, the connection was made.
And yes, there were, back at the time other leads. Some were investigated, some not so much. Another known sex offender was interrogated, but dismissed. He had an alibi and he was known to rape girls age 16+. There was also an incident with a bunch of allegedly alcoholized Native-Americans. Problem is, the place that allegedly would have sold them the alc wouldn't have done it in 1951 because back then there was still a prohibition law against the tribes. So, there was some investigation in those leads, but without arrest. And there were investigations in other directions, for example Sheriff Holloway's trip to Portland. But also without result. And the whole time, Cunningham was locked away and nobody thought about him for a second. And thus, nobody asked around who had seen Cunningham. My luck was only, that he helped breaking down the fair and did that every year, so some knew him and remembered, he was there.

You translated, what I hinted, in the nice clean term "nepotism". Lets give you a glimpse in this:

- the officer today in charge of the case (as any other in the area) lives three or four houses away from where Lonnie's aunt lives. His neighbors are members of the very same family.

- his boss, the Sheriff, is not only politically connected to them, he is also life-long befriended to the current generation of the family clan.

- his father was one of the kids in the very same car, driven by the very same people to the fair that night. He was one of the persons, seeing Lonnie in the afternoon there.

- since the case began, at least one family member was commissioner, two members were Sheriff. Lonnie's mother married a man, who also became later Weippe's Sheriff. They all had access to the case file and evidence and after their time, most of the evidence was gone because we know, in the seventies, the evidence box was already as empty as it is now. Which is one of the reasons, police can't release too much in the first place: They don't have much left.

and so it goes on and on. Nepotism is a very incomplete way to describe the circumstances there.

But here is the rub: Orrin Wood had no opportunity that night, to kill Lonnie Jones. Because at the time, Lonnie was fetched, he was in Weippe, bringing the girl home.

Just on a side note: I wrote earlier posts about the staging and the meaning, so you can read up there. No need to repeat it again. All you confusion about the staging and the scene per se is explained there.

THANK YOU. Very informative, well thought out post. You did an amazing sleuthing job. :websleuther: :goodpost: :thankyou:

I'm amazed by the hard work and sleuthing of everyone here. From a case we knew virtually nothing about to this? Amazing work, from Kline who kept the Lonnie case alive here for so long, Robin Hood who found Cunningham, all the locals and other sleuthers who weighed in, and Peter who did some hard yards research -- wow. Well done, all! :clap:

However, Peter, you are really condescending and quite rude at times, which spoils your excellent posts for me. You can answer polite questions or rebut an opinion without being snarky and superior about it. Can't you? Give it a shot, it won't hurt you.

Orrin was 33 years old in 1951.

I wrote earlier posts about the staging and the meaning, so you can read up there. No need to repeat it again. All you confusion about the staging and the scene per se is explained there.

I'm sorry, but I am not "confused" about anything. And I do think there just --might-- be room for further discussion on this. Isn't there?

I'm amazed by the hard work and sleuthing of everyone here. From a case we knew virtually nothing about to this? Amazing work, from Kline who kept the Lonnie case alive here for so long, Robin Hood who found Cunningham, all the locals and other sleuthers who weighed in, and Peter who did some hard yards research -- wow. Well done, all! :clap:

However, Peter, you are really condescending and quite rude at times, which spoils your excellent posts for me. You can answer polite questions or rebut an opinion without being snarky and superior about it. Can't you? Give it a shot, it won't hurt you.

Orrin was 33 years old in 1951.

I'm sorry, but I am not "confused" about anything. And I do think there just --might-- be room for further discussion on this. Isn't there?

Being called rude by someone, who tries to label someone, who went out with one girl with the permission of her father, as a "habitual" pedophile ... admittedly, I can live with being called rude by slanderers, perverts (like the one we try to pin here) and monsters (like the one over at LISK). But this isn't about Lonnie's murder, right? This is about being right. You want to label Orrin something despite the fact, he can't be the killer. Fine, but don't complain if I call it what it is. And yes, everyone can read in this thread, Kline held the thread alive (till he disappeared), Robin Hood did not only find the first clue on Cunningham but did also a lot of other research in that case. DownTownSlim, not a member here anymore, did a lot as well to find old newspaper articles. Well, I found the police officer in charge, the girl friend from back then, the widow, Savage's family, former sheriffs, and and and ... down to a barkeeper who reported originally the story about the drunken Native-Americans. So, some people did work. A lot of it. You were invited to help. You never made it. Now you come up and try to call me rude for basically having spoken with all those people? A little bit hypocrite, are you? And now, after having said that, you can call a mod and try to get me banned because I'm so rude to tell the truth.

Sure, Peter. Okay.

One thing I -am- unequivocally right about, though, is that it is not, was not, and never will be a/ legal or b/ okay for a 33 year old man to date a 14 year old child, no matter what the child and her parents and the perp do or say.

I am not going to argue with you over who deserves more credit for this thread, lol. Or anything else, for that matter, it's not what I am here for.

But I WILL speak up on the issue of grown men dating 14 year olds - there's no excuse for that to happen or for anyone to try to say it's alright, the law says it's a crime and said so quite clearly to Mr. Wood way back in 1951.

Have a good day.

Awww...come on you guys. This is an amazing thread. Let's not get it closed down over petty stuff. :please:

Sure, Peter. Okay.

One thing I -am- unequivocally right about, though, is that it is not, was not, and never will be a/ legal or b/ okay for a 33 year old man to date a 14 year old child, no matter what the child and her parents and the perp do or say.

I am not going to argue with you over who deserves more credit for this thread, lol. Or anything else, for that matter, it's not what I am here for.

But I WILL speak up on the issue of grown men dating 14 year olds - there's no excuse for that to happen or for anyone to try to say it's alright, the law says it's a crime and said so quite clearly to Mr. Wood way back in 1951.

Have a good day.

And now, we make the girl 15 years old again, as she really was, not too far from her 16th birthday. And 16 is today in some states already the age of consent. Which is in this case admittedly irrelevant, because ... you know Wood went to the movies with her, he didn't have sex with her, as far as we know. Well, I have to take the word of the girl for that.

I want Kline to come back to this thread. I don't care for the way it has seemingly been hijacked.

Well, you could try to find him ... interesting notion by the way to call an actual attempt to find a killer, even sixty years later, "hijacking". Especially on a crime board ...

Personally, I am in awe of all that you were able to uncover. I bow down to you. I always thought that Cunningham was the most viable suspect, so maybe that is one reason I am so impressed. But I think you went above and beyond what sleuthers here are able to do. I don't feel hijacked, I feel well informed and relieved. JMO

PS

I lived in Ketchum Idaho, briefly, in the early 70's. Even then, very very young women [ age 14,15, 16] were married off to older 'landowners' by their families. Many were married with children at 16. So I do not hold Orrin to today's standards of statutory rape. My own grandmother was engaged at 13 and legally married at 14 in the Ozarks.

Bumping for Lonnie.

I am so sad this thread went from an awesome sleuthing vibe to abject, petty bickering, and the whole thing stalling dead for 6 months now.

I'd like to see a polite, respectful discussion start up again.

You are not the only one. I really miss KLINE in this thread. Does Lonnie still have any living family members? I wonder if the family or anyone in the town still gossips about this.

Hi all. I stumbled upon this discussion after searching "Delvin Marner Junior Weippe". I was interested in seeing what I could find about my uncle "Butch". I am the granddaughter of Delvin Marner born in 1939 (step brother of Lonnie Jones). I have read through all of the posts and found them quite interesting. The family doesn't talk much about Lonnie's murder anymore, so it was interesting for me to take a trip back in time reading the newspaper articles and the like.

Oh my gosh -- welcome! It's great to have a family member here -- even though it must be quite hard to read all that speculation about your own family, as well as all the details of the murder. All in aid of keeping the questions and interest going about what happened to the poor boy, though.

I do hope you join in on the conversation, though it's been quiet for a while now. I'd sure be glad if you could share anything you know. It might seem weird that total strangers care so much, but that's how it is when you research these cases, for me particularly the old ones, you get attached and involved in your heart, and just want nothing more than to see justice finally done.

Again, nice to have you around and :welcome:

Thank you for welcoming me.

The next time I talk with grandma Rose I will ask her about Lonnie and share with y'all what she tells me. Grandpa would probably know much more, but he passed away in 2005. Elna died not long after I was born, so I've never heard the story from her.

Again, thanks for the welcome and thanks for all you do. I think it's admirable that you all take such interest in people that may have been forgotten.

Amazing!
You guys have made me very ashamed ive neglected this for so long.
Ive no excuse other then personal events
Also the day I got an unannounced visit from Wood's widow armed with photo albums and a writer the same day I had to hospitalize my son.(they didnt know it wasnt their fault.)
She had read what I had written and felt the need to make a case for his innocence.
Which made me feel bad.(Of course Id also been awake for 32 hours or so.....and for what its worth his minor girl friend DID look like she was 25 judging by the photos she showed me.)
Anyway I was kind of put off for awhile.
Im very proud of you guys especially Ausgirl And Scriptgirl and Mr. Brent on the interest you guys have taken and the amount of freaking work youve done.
Im looking forward to scrolling back and trying to get myself up to speed!
Just reading a few pages back has got me fired up again.

Amazing!
You guys have made me very ashamed ive neglected this for so long.
Ive no excuse other then personal events

And that's the most understandable reason in the world. Welcome back, and I hope things are better for you and your family these days.

Please do fill us in on all on the details of the visit, and I hope there's a chance for you speak to her again. Why'd she bring a 'writer'?

aa02609, it's so sad when these cases get so cold that the people with direct knowledge of it all are passing away.. Lonnie isn't forgotten, and time does not take away any of the horror from the crime done to him.

I'm glad this discussion is back, and also civil once more.

Also, many of the archived papers are so much harder to get hold of now Google's done away with its easier archive search, I am so furious about that....

OK...wow. Just spent half the day reading all the posts in this thread. I had not heard about this case before. My heart goes out to little Lonnie, who had to have suffered tremendously his last moments of life, and his family.

Though I still cannot get over the fact that this 12 year old boy was allowed to be at a fair so far from home without a sure thing way home AND then dropped off, again, far from home and left alone, I do realize it was a different time. Still....if only those boys would have actually driven him home....

I second the notion that Lonnie was more than likely sexually assaulted before he died. What I find interesting is that he supposedly was molested prior to the fateful night of the fair? Was there ever any indication of who might have molested him? I think there could be a connection....Lonnie could have very well ran into this person at the fair or movie. Maybe another attempt was made, which rattled Lonnie and he took off, hence the teens describing him as being "upset" when they picked him up. So they take him, drop him off and as Lonnie is continuing home, his attacker pulls up and offers him a ride home, apologizing and promising not to do anything. Often times, young kids STILL "trust" or attempt to appease those who may be violating them. Maybe Lonnie, naive, trusted him one last time. Once in the car, the attacker drove a bit, then attacked/raped Lonnie. Lonnie may have this time threatened to tell, causing the attacker to feel he had to finally "dispose" of him.

Bottom line: I do not at all believe a random person or transient carny committed this murder. It was someone who Lonnie was familiar with and knew and who possibly had molested Lonnie prior to this night. The person knew the area and probably stayed there after the murder and most certainly continued to molest young boys.

Seriously, a sad, haunting case.

Thanks Kline and I hope your son is better. AA, thanks for joining us-looking forward to what you have to say.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back