Resolved ID - Mountain Home, Two children's skeletal remains in badger hole, Apr'17 - ANCIENT

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have lived in Idaho my entire life and my family for generations before me so my 93 yr old Dad tells me all the history. It did not get very populated until the last 50 years. If these bones are close to that old it would have been easy to bury them in broad daylight without anyone paying any attention to what you were doing. The freeway wasn't much back then. I hope we find out soon how old the bones are. I love history so am hoping for pioneers. I have a friend who dug up a solid gold brick a few years ago near Mtn. Home - it was in a wooden box which had fallen apart and pretty much eroded and there was a note with the date on it. Evidently, there had been stagecoach robberies in the area but we will never know who buried it.

Hi fellow Idahoan. :)

Confusing altogether....this a quite recent article...and now the state it where two children on top of each other....other articles say it was a teen and a child...

I'm trying to understand. Like one was buried and then another buried on top or like shoved in a whole on top of each other and buried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a grave site from early Californians it would make sense to dig one hole if traveling especially if the children were related. Illness, criminal attack by bandits I'm hoping as opposed to foul play. Maybe they can use DNA to track living relatives or at least to see if and how the bodies were related.

But if this was an normal sad death that the parents were buring their children, wouldn't they have put them side by side in a more respectable way?

If it was a grave site from early Californians it would make sense to dig one hole if traveling especially if the children were related. Illness, criminal attack by bandits I'm hoping as opposed to foul play. Maybe they can use DNA to track living relatives or at least to see if and how the bodies were related.

Exactly. If the remains are from Oregon Trail pioneers (which I think is a probable scenario), it would have been summer time when they passed through southern Idaho. That area of Idaho is complete desert. It would have been a backbreaking job to dig a grave there in the dry, hard, rocky ground. If the deceased were a young mother and her young child, I can definitely see them digging one grave and burying the child on top of the mother. Many died from diseases along the way and they had no choice but to bury them and move on.

I would think the "bomb carbon dating" would be done soon - at least then we'd know if the bones are from before or after the 1950's.

Is there anyone to contact about the status of the testing?

Is there anyone to contact about the status of the testing?

I have been in touch with the Anthropologist doing the testing. I can try to get a hold of her again to get an update (will post if I get anything). Otherwise, possibly the Elmore County Sheriff.

Any news WesternArtist from your contact??

Any news WesternArtist from your contact??

Not yet. The Anthropologist on this case is a professor and I know grades were due last week so I'm trying to be patient. Now that the semester is over things should be moving quicker:)

:bump: up this thread!

Hate to bug you WesternArtist just wondering if you might have heard anything new?

:wave:

:bump: up this thread!

Hate to bug you WesternArtist just wondering if you might have heard anything new?

:wave:

I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to promise something I couldn't follow up on. I'm still trying :eek:

LE response times are generally measured in months if not years...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

[h=1]Remains found in Elmore County date back hundreds of years[/h]
ELMORE COUNTY, Idaho (KBOI) — The Elmore County Sheriff's Office says remains found in Elmore County back in April are not connected to a crime.

Investigators say the remains are dated from 1436 to 1632.
The remains were found in a badger hole north of Mountain Home in April. They were tested by two different labs for two months.
The lab tests confirm that there was no homicide involved, and deputies are no longer investigating the case as a homicide.
Several Native American Tribes in the area have come forward to claim the remains. The Bureau of Land Management is working with the tribes to find out who the remains belong to.
http://kval.com/news/nation-world/remains-found-in-elmore-county-date-back-hundreds-of-years

Whew, I'm glad it's not a crime and I hope they quickly locate the right people to care for the remains.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back