GUILTY ID - Robert Manwill, 8, Boise, 24 July 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These cases break my heart. I cannot image the terrible terrible anguish this little man endured at the hands of his own mother. WHY WAS HE ALLOWED TO GO WITH HER? What is wrong with this country that we have to even debate the laws that protect this kind of scum? That a prosecutor has to decide whether he has the right evidence to get a conviction for the death penalty?

Again I say: let me take my rubbing alcohol, lighter and duct tape into a room with the two of them. Case closed.

Defense for Manwill murder suspects wants change of venue
Story Created: Nov 5, 2009 at 2:32 PM MST
Story Updated: Nov 5, 2009 at 2:35 PM MST
<snipped>
It was also revealed in court Thursday that the defense is asking that the case be separated between the two suspects.

A hearing will be held Dec. 10 to go over the change of venue motion.

Article:
http://www.2news.tv/news/local/69314697.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Couple accused of killing Manwill wants jury from outside Boise
Posted on November 5, 2009 at 4:16 PM
Updated today at 4:30 PM
<snipped>
Myshin thinks the trial would remain in Boise &#8211; but jurors would be brought in from out of the area. He admits getting a venue change is difficult.

Defense attorneys are also asking that the cases for Ehrlick and Jenkins be separated.

According to attorney's Robert's mother Melissa has four hours of interrogation audio -- Myshin says she is basically turning on her boyfriend - presenting a conflict in the case if the two were to stand trial together.

Article:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/Couple-acc...ll-want-jury-from-outside-Boise-69325727.html

:angel:

Robert Manwill's Mother Faces Judge
<snipped>
Myshin says he wants more than just a change of venue, he wants separate trials.

He says statements of one defendant can't be used against the other defendant.

"It's the conflict between confrontation and the right to remain silent," Myshin says.

Video: Robert Manwill's Mother Faces Judge 1:23
http://www.kivitv.com/global/Catego...ult&clipId=4275785&flvUri=&thirdpartymrssurl=

Article:
http://www.kivitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11454094
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Defense seeks venue change in Boise boy slaying
November 5, 2009 8:24 PM ET
<snipped>
During a hearing Thursday, lawyers for Jenkins and Ehrlick say moving the trial away from Boise is necessary given the intense publicity surrounding the case.

Fourth District Judge Darla Williamson will consider the request. She scheduled trial for April 12, 2010.

Lawyers also filed a motion Thursday asking the judge to hold separate trials.

Article:
http://www.kivitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11454314

Just makes me sick to see this happen again and again... So many people can't have children and would of loved to have had this little boy as their own.. I am sure.. Why not adoption..?? I know they say most want a baby so can raise them. I would not want that stage again.. lol I loved it but that was when I was so much younger.. This little boy is so darling and sweet looking. He would of melted hearts of many ..

Bless you Little Robert Manwill .. May you rest in Peace and Fly with the Angels now..

I hope these people pay for a very very long time... and suffer in prison and wonder each day who is behind them....

Protect Idaho Kids

It's a new Boise-based organization, with an emphasis on doing just that.

Protect Idaho Kids is bringing a lot of other groups forward to help out with this overwhelming project.

It's all about making Idaho the safest state in the nation for kids.

The idea came about in part because of the recent child abuse case involving eight-year-old Robert Manwill.

http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=11637609

and

www.ProtectIdahoKids.info

Bless you Robert for touching the hearts of so many that never knew you.

I hope the 2 that are responsible for you death pay every minute of every day for it.

Editorial: Stop making excuses: 8-year-old shouldn't have died
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 1:00 am
<snipped>
Robert Manwill was killed in the custody of his mother and her boyfriend last summer in Boise because Idaho &#8212; both the state and its citizens &#8212; didn&#8217;t protect him. He was 8 years old.

And things haven&#8217;t improved since. In fact, they next session of the Legislature may end up cutting state programs that will endanger more kids.

The Idaho Statesman recently published a series of articles about child welfare that discovered the following:

&#8226; If you&#8217;re a kid in Idaho, you&#8217;re more likely than young children in 40 other states to go to bed hungry.

&#8226; If you&#8217;re a teenager, you&#8217;re more likely to try to kill yourself &#8212; and less likely to go to college &#8212; than students in other states.

&#8226; If you&#8217;re in foster care in Idaho, your caseworker may have less time for you than if you were in foster care in a nearby state.

&#8226; Federal and state programs aimed at child welfare are inadequate and income levels to qualify are too low.

&#8226; Despite an abundance of private-sector and church initiatives to help families, those efforts are fragmented and badly coordinated.

&#8226; Idaho is among the states with the lowest compensation rates for foster parents.

&#8226; Social workers employed by the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare are poorly paid and turnover is high.

To be blunt, that&#8217;s a lie.

Consider:

&#8226; Only seven states spend less than Idaho on child welfare, including programs such as foster care, child protective services, adoption, health and education.

&#8226; Idaho doesn&#8217;t require the parents of young offenders to be tested for drugs, as their children are.

&#8226; Incredibly, there&#8217;s no mental health court for juveniles, as there is for adults.

&#8226; There&#8217;s no statewide program for home visitation by social workers.

&#8226; Idaho is so focused on reuniting families that it returns children to abusive homes prematurely, before issues such as substance abuse are resolved.

&#8226; Children in foster care are moved around too much.

&#8226; Idaho does a lousy job of finding permanent living arrangements for older kids.

&#8226; The government agencies responsible for child welfare don&#8217;t communicate well enough.

It was no secret to the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, 4th District Court probation officers and the Ada County Prosecutors Office that Robert Manwill&#8217;s mother Melissa Jenkins had a history of child abuse. Despite evidence of clear and present danger to Robert, none of them took the initiative to get him out of that situation. :furious:

Article:
http://www.magicvalley.com/news/article_18a124d0-93f5-5658-a4ac-04a76bd5a85f.html

Couple accused of killing Robert Manwill to be tried separately

Posted on January 7, 2010 at 1:49

BOISE -- The couple accused of killing 8-year-old Robert Manwill last summer were back in court this afternoon.

Attorneys for the boy's mother, Melissa Jenkins, and her boyfriend, Daniel Ehrlick, want a jury from outside of southwest Idaho, but they didn't get that change of venue today.

Judge Darla Williamson says she'll hear arguments on that motion two weeks before new trial dates are set.

Last July, thousands of people spent weeks searching for Robert Manwill, whose body was found Aug. 3 in the New York canal.

Jenkins and Ehrlick made public pleas for help, but it was those two police arrested for murder.

Today, both defendants sat quietly in court, only speaking in whispers to their attorneys. Several sheriff's deputies surrounded them.

Ehrlick's attorney asked the judge for separate trials because he says Jenkins implicated Ehrlick in interviews, and it could pose a conflict for his client. The judge granted that motion.

After the hearing, Trish Burrill told us her sister, Melissa Jenkins, is distraught and confused

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Couple-acc...-Manwill-to-be-tried-seperately-80935167.html

Jenkins and Ehrlick granted separate trials in Robert Manwill murder case
Patrick Orr - Idaho Statesman
Published: 01/07/10

Melissa Jenkins and Daniel Ehrlick will face different juries in their first-degree murder trials later this year in connection with the beating death of Jenkins&#8217;s son Robert Manwill in July.

What is still unknown is when trials will begin and if they will be in Ada County or be moved elsewhere in the state due to pretrial publicity.

Jenkins and Ehrlick&#8217;s jury trial was supposed to begin May 17, but that&#8217;s not going to happen as defense attorneys and prosecutors have agreed to delay the case. A hearing to set new trial dates is set for Jan. 14. Fourth District Judge Darla Williamson said Thursday she will hold a hearing on Jenkins&#8217; and Ehrlick&#8217;s motion to move the trial out of Ada County about a month before it is scheduled to begin &#8212; to get a better feel for how pretrial publicity might affect the jury pool.

Williamson granted a motion Thursday filed by Ehrlick&#8217;s attorneys for a separate jury trial.

Defense attorneys say a separate trial is necessary since Melissa Jenkins made incriminating statements against her then boyfriend, Daniel Ehrlick, during an investigation into her 8-year-old son's disappearance and murder in July.

Prosecutors said Thursday they do not object to separate trials as long as Jenkins&#8217; trial is scheduled first. Prosecutors say Ehrlick beat Jenkins' son in a pattern of "escalating physical violence" that ended in Robert's death "on or about" July 24

http://www.idahostatesman.com/235/story/1033507.html

Dates Set For Manwill's Accused Killers
Posted: Jan 14, 2010 10:15 PM MST

Boise, Idaho -- Trial dates have been set for the couple accused of brutally killing 8-year-old Robert Manwill.

Judge Darla Williamson, Ada County 4th District Court, decided Manwill's mother, Melissa Jenkins, will be tried after her boyfriend, Daniel Ehrlick.

Williamson said more evidence will be involved in Ehrlick's case.

Ehrlick's trial date has been set for Oct. 4 and Jenkins' will be on Nov. 29

http://www.fox12idaho.com/Global/story.asp?S=11826888

My birthday is October 4. The best present ever would be justice for Robert.

Defense says evidence thin in the Manwill case
Prosecutors 'must be doing something or they wouldn't be so confident,' public defender says.

01/25/10
<snipped>
Amil Myshin has represented dozens of murder suspects over his 25 years as an Ada County public defender - including killers Erick Hall, Darrell Payne and Robin Lee Row in their death penalty cases. But last week, he told a judge that the grand jury testimony and evidence used to charge Daniel Ehrlick Jr. with the murder of 8-year-old Robert Manwill comprised "one of the thinnest first-degree murder cases I've seen in all these years."

While defense attorneys for Ehrlick and co-defendant Melissa Jenkins - Manwill's mother - have more than 20,000 documents of evidence to review, Myshin said prosecutors have not informed them some about basic steps - such as whether they are doing DNA tests or other forensic examinations on the vast volume of evidence seized from Jenkins' apartment and other locations. Myshin said the secret testimony that led an Ada County grand jury to charge Ehrlick with murder won't stand up in trial.

Myshin said the only forensic evidence he has received so far is the initial autopsy report for Robert. Williamson gave prosecutors until March 15 to get their forensic testing scheduled and tell defense attorneys what experts they intend to call. That should give the defense enough time to prepare their case before a trial, scheduled to begin in September.

Williamson also warned both sides that both trials were going to happen this fall, so they needed to meet the deadlines. "I'm not going to reschedule this trial ... the trial dates are firm dates," Williamson said.

*More at link!

Article:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/25/1054493/defense-says-evidence-thin-in.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel Ehrlick's jury trial is set for this fall &#8212; and judge says she plans to keep that date
Published: 01/14/10
<snipped>
Melissa Jenkins and Daniel Ehrlick will face different juries in their first-degree murder trials later this year in connection with the July death of Jenkins' son Robert Manwill. Ehrlick's trial will begin first, with jury selection set to begin Sept. 22 and testimony set to begin Oct. 4. Jenkins' trial is set to begin Nov. 29, but no jury selection date was set by 4th Disrtict Judge Darla Williamson Thursday because she wants to see how media coverage of the Ehrlick trial affects the ability to pick an impartial jury in Ada County.

Ada County prosecutors wanted the Jenkins trial to go first, but Williamson opted for Ehrlick to go first at the request of defense attorneys. Ehrlick's attorney, public defender Amil Myshin, argued that a Jenkins trial first would have proven to be too prejudicial to their client.

Myshin says Jenkins made incriminating statements against Ehrlick, who was her boyfriend, during the investigation into her 8-year-old son's disappearance. Having that specific testimony come out in Jenkins' trial would make it almost impossible for Ehrlick to get a fair trial, Myshin said. There has been no mention in court of Ehrlick making incriminating statements to police about Jenkins, so that specific prejudice appears to be one-way.

Williamson said Thursday that the trials, which were supposed to begin this spring, will not be delayed again. She warned prosecutors and defense attorneys to stick to evidence discovery deadlines &#8212; saying if they were not met, that evidence would not be admissible in the trial Defense attorneys have filed a motion to move the trial out of Ada County due to intense pretrial publicity, but it appears Williamson will try to pick an Ada County for the Ehrlick case in September before considering that motion.

Article:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/01/14/1041894/daniel-ehrlicks-jury-trial-is.html

Oh boy how I hope I get called for that trial! They'd never pick me though, because I'd just say "fry them". But still.

I hope this "thin evidence" is just typical defense BS. I doubt they could have gotten it to go to the Grand Jury on thin evidence.

Justice for Robert!

Forgot to post this this morning.

Man accused of killing 8-year-old boy wants new attorney

BOISE -- The man accused of beating and killing 8-year-old Robert Manwill wants a new lawyer.

Ehrlick filed a motion last Thursday saying he feels his attorneys are "badgering" him.

Ehrlick claims the public defender's office has failed to file motions on his behalf, is badgering him and communication has been extremely difficult between him and his attorneys.

Ehrlick wrote, "public defenders have lied, and misguided me and my case."

Assistant deputy prosecutor Jan Bennetts would not go on camera but said, "it doesn't affect the way we handle the case. We will proceed with the case and handle it in an appropriate fashion, regardless of who is working on the defense."

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Man-accused-of-killing-8-year-old-boy-wants-new-attorney-87701992.html

Loser.

I hate to say it, but they better just suck it up and get him a new attorney. Unless every single thing they have or have not done has been extremely thoroughly documented. If he loses this case and complains again, it will either be completely tossed out the window, or he'll appeal it again and again. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487