ID ID - Terrence Woods, 27, missing, Penman Mine near Orogrande, 5 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Terrence's mother thinks he wanted to leave Idaho very badly, so I'm hoping and praying he did. They are calling off the search for him.

The article says, "A hotspot was detected by a helicopter's FLIR camera with white papers around it Wednesday, but it seems that finding didn't lead to any clues."

Idaho County Sheriff's Office Halts Search for Missing Person

Bringing forward this map again. Terrence's mother says she feels like he's in someone's house. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any houses anywhere near there.

Last edited:
Search scaled back in Idaho for missing Maryland man
The Idaho County Sheriff’s Office explained its decision to cut back the search in a news release, saying, “No leads were obtained from the previous seven days of searching, and no signs of Mr. Woods have been located in the search area or the expanded search area.”
Initial news reports said that members of the film crew had seen Woods acting strangely on the day he disappeared and that he abruptly jumped off a steep drop and sprinted away from the group as they gave chase.
But Woods’s family members dispute the account of how and why he went missing and say they still have many questions. Woods, a University of Maryland graduate who lived in London for several years before moving back to the area this year, was an experienced journalist who had traveled the world working on documentaries and television shows, his sister, Sharnia Tisdale, said in an interview. Woods also has two brothers.

“I wasn’t there, but from what I know of my brother, that would be really bizarre for him to run off like that. That’s just not him,” Tisdale said.

Maryland father makes plea after son goes missing in Idaho

Witnesses say he disappeared over a steep cliff and took off running into the woods, but his family says that story just doesn't add up.

Woods Sr. recalls the last conversation he had with his son via text, the morning he went missing in the rugged terrain of Idaho County.

"At 8:34 my son texted me back, 'Dad I'm coming home on Wednesday the 10th.' Between that little time, something went wrong. Then the next call I get is from the company saying my son disappeared. Can't find a trace of him."

It looks like the closest town is Orogrande, Idaho. GOOGLE Maps says it's fourteen minutes to get you near Penman Mine, traveling along the Orogrande-Dixie Road, parking your vehicle, before a trek through the woods, however long that would take. I see that Orogrande-Dixie Road has a couple switchbacks, meaning, the road ascends rapidly as you travel towards the mine.
Google Maps
Looking at the satellite map and tilting it a little, it looks like the Orogrande-Dixie road is a dirt logging road. There's a parallel track that runs alongside it. I'm not sure if that's old railroad bed, or something else. As odd it may seem, I'm fairly sure there are houses dotted among the hills. There always seem to be in these remote areas. Isolation and remoteness is a draw for many people who settle in Idaho. I live across the border in Washington State, but have talked to several people who have built large elaborate homes in the middle of "nowhere". Whether Terrence made his way to one of these homes is hard to say. Approaching a remote house in Idaho where there are likely to be guard dogs and armed occupants--? And people suspicious of strangers on their land? I wonder instead if he made it back to the road and traveled on foot from there? Again, hard to say.

I wonder why there was a film crew making a documentary about the Penman mine?

There seems to be a discrepancy whether Terrence ran down a steep hill or disappeared over a steep cliff. Both have been reported in MSM.
Police interviewed another member of the crew who saw Woods drop his two-way radio and run down a steep hill.
"We don't know why he ran," said Giddings, adding that others on the film crew shouted for him to stop. "Our only concern is where he is now and we just don't know."

He's also been reported to have disappeared over a steep cliff and then run into the woods, while other crew members gave chase.

IMHO, the same incident as interpreted by different witnesses. Still makes no sense.

There are several theories I'd like to toss out here. Some are more plausible than others.

Terrence may have suffered a nervous breakdown or a psychotic episode--he may have believed a member or members of the film crew were going to kill him. He may have been so convinced he was going to be killed and no one would find his body that he became overwhelmed and made a run for it. It's possible that it was all true, and that a crew member or members killed him, and out of fear, the other members are covering up the crime.

What first came to my mind, however, was that one crew member was intimidating and harassing him, always out of earshot of the other crew members so as to make Terrence appear as though he was acting strangely, when in fact he was just reacting to feeling threatened by this one person. Of course I have no idea, and it's not even necessarily my opinion of what happened. Just a thought. Feeling physically threatened by someone who is stronger and bigger in an environment where you don't trust those around you for help--may be a reason for him leaving. It doesn't explain why he would leave in such dramatic fashion. Surely he could have quietly left the camp without anyone realizing it for some time.

I could almost think he was reacting to an emergency, whether it was imagined or real.

The more strange theory that occurred to me was maybe he felt he was being watched--by what, I'm not sure. It may seem ridiculous to people who live in urban areas, but once you're in a remote, rugged wilderness, it's easy enough to give yourself the creeps or the willies, and begin to imagine all sorts of things. I'm not sure what that mental phenomena is exactly. It may be the brain's reaction to the lack of the normal electrical fields and sounds we're accustomed to and surrounded by in modern life--from computers, refrigerators, vehicles, etc. Sounds of people, when there are any, come from fair distances away. The silence in the woods is deeply silent. It may have gotten to him. Maybe he thought he was being watched by Sasquatch, shadows, ghosts, Little People, etc. Maybe he was overwhelmed with fear and just had to get back to civilization. Maybe he tried to get back to the road and didn't make it.

Was he running away from something or someone or was he running towards something or someone, in pursuit of something he thought he saw?

Terrence's mother thinks he wanted to leave Idaho very badly, so I'm hoping and praying he did. They are calling off the search for him.

The article says, "A hotspot was detected by a helicopter's FLIR camera with white papers around it Wednesday, but it seems that finding didn't lead to any clues."

Idaho County Sheriff's Office Halts Search for Missing Person

Bringing forward this map again. Terrence's mother says she feels like he's in someone's house. Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see any houses anywhere near there.
There's not, perhaps a small hunting cabin or such but no "houses". If you go further southeast, about 7 miles there's the tiny town of Dixon (and it's TINY). As vast as that land is, it would be easy to miss it if you're not following a road.

KBOI 2

"The detective said he's still investigating. He was with 11 other people, 11 other people, he was the only one missing."

Terrence Woods' family hires private investigator, says disappearance is suspicious

From the article:
Today, CBS 2 News spoke with Terrence's father, Terrence Woods Senior.

He believes his son did not run off the set, and that the details around Terrence's disappearance are suspicious.

He says he talked to someone who saw Terrence before he disappeared and says that person has conflicting accounts of what happened.

"Now you say you ran over there and my son was already 15 feet down running like a hare, I said what do you mean and he said your son is so fast, I was told to go down after him, they told me to get a car and meet him at the road, so I kept running after him and he disappeared into the woods and he stopped yelling and didn't want to scare him anymore," Woods says.

Wood's says that's why his family hired a private investigator, who's in Idaho County right now.

KBOI 2

"The detective said he's still investigating. He was with 11 other people, 11 other people, he was the only one missing."

Terrence Woods' family hires private investigator, says disappearance is suspicious

From the article:
Today, CBS 2 News spoke with Terrence's father, Terrence Woods Senior.

He believes his son did not run off the set, and that the details around Terrence's disappearance are suspicious.

He says he talked to someone who saw Terrence before he disappeared and says that person has conflicting accounts of what happened.

"Now you say you ran over there and my son was already 15 feet down running like a hare, I said what do you mean and he said your son is so fast, I was told to go down after him, they told me to get a car and meet him at the road, so I kept running after him and he disappeared into the woods and he stopped yelling and didn't want to scare him anymore," Woods says.

Wood's says that's why his family hired a private investigator, who's in Idaho County right now.

I hope the PI can get some answers because nothing about this story makes any sense. Extremely hinky..

I hope the investigator will swiftly get to the bottom of this mystery. I also hope that Terrence will be found alive.

The film crew was the last to see him, as far as anyone knows. If there is a conspiracy to cover up what happened, then at least one of the crew will break their silence, eventually. I really hope there isn't a cover-up because that probably means Terrence is no longer with us.

If the story is remotely true, as bizarre as it is, then a whole lot of the facts are missing. Did someone slip him a psychedelic drug? Was he being threatened privately with bodily harm? Did he have a psychotic breakdown? If the crew members watched in stunned silence and horror as Terrence went over a cliff/hill, and ran into the woods for no apparent reason as they allege, then why aren't any of them eagerly speaking to the media to whomever will listen? Say what happened, no matter how implausible? Their silence seems odd, but then their company may have told them not to speak to the media, so who knows. They may also have been interviewed and then left the country.

Was Terrence's race or age a factor here? Was he friends with any of the members of the crew or was he excluded? One of the crew members was said to have stayed behind, overnight (?) after the alleged incident, waiting for his return. Who is that person and where are they now?

I hope the investigator will swiftly get to the bottom of this mystery. I also hope that Terrence will be found alive.

The film crew was the last to see him, as far as anyone knows. If there is a conspiracy to cover up what happened, then at least one of the crew will break their silence, eventually. I really hope there isn't a cover-up because that probably means Terrence is no longer with us.

If the story is remotely true, as bizarre as it is, then a whole lot of the facts are missing. Did someone slip him a psychedelic drug? Was he being threatened privately with bodily harm? Did he have a psychotic breakdown? If the crew members watched in stunned silence and horror as Terrence went over a cliff/hill, and ran into the woods for no apparent reason as they allege, then why aren't any of them eagerly speaking to the media to whomever will listen? Say what happened, no matter how implausible? Their silence seems odd, but then their company may have told them not to speak to the media, so who knows. They may also have been interviewed and then left the country.

Was Terrence's race or age a factor here? Was he friends with any of the members of the crew or was he excluded? One of the crew members was said to have stayed behind, overnight (?) after the alleged incident, waiting for his return. Who is that person and where are they now?

Exactly!! The silence from his employer is very concerning IMHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairinAmaliah
Back