IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like this whole thing would be easier to understand if we knew more details about the attack itself. Was he pushed down/against a wall/held by one of them? He said he has bruises but his ribs were fine.

I feel like a minute to do the attack as we've been told, noose, bleach etc would be doable but if we're told hes off camera for less than a minute, would you be able to grab your sandwich, phone etc and walk away from a violent attack that quickly? I just want more details.

He said at his concert last night that his lawyer was there and wouldn't want him giving details to clarify incorrect things that have been stated about the case. Hes the victim, I don't know why his lawyer would have a problem with him clarifying incorrect assertions.

He's also claiming hes the gay Tupac

Ok, well I'd like to see those "discrepancies" with links if possible.

Heres a link to LE saying they have no reason to not think he's being genuine.
I included the quote from CPD Superintendent Eddie Johnson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...after-alleged-assault/?utm_term=.9a48d137c320
“He’s a victim right now, and we’ll treat him like a victim," Chicago police superintendent Eddie Johnson told Chicago’s ABC 7 in an interview Friday. “He’s been very cooperative and we have no reason, at this point, to think that he’s not being genuine with us.”

Rather than take the time pointing out what has been cited already in this thread, I will quote the victim himself from his statement:

“Despite my frustrations and deep concern with certain inaccuracies and misrepresentations that have been spread, I still believe that justice will be served."

This case is confusing.

Chicago's top cop: 'We are making gains' in investigation of reported attack on 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett

Here is a map of the area:
upload_2019-2-3_8-30-30.png

1) Location of the Subway ‘Empire’ star victim of racist, homophobic attack in Streeterville, police say

2) Location of the individuals of interest from security camera. Photos show potential persons of interest in 'Empire' actor attack, police say

3) Location of the victim's apartment. Detectives piecing together 'digital puzzle' as they investigate report of attack on 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett

4) Approximate location of the attack. 'Empire' actor attacked in possible hate crime in Chicago: police
Police asked for anyone near the location of the attack at the time to contact the tip line:
Anthony Guglielmi on Twitter

Here is a map of the area:
View attachment 167271

1) Location of the Subway ‘Empire’ star victim of racist, homophobic attack in Streeterville, police say

2) Location of the individuals of interest from security camera. Photos show potential persons of interest in 'Empire' actor attack, police say

3) Location of the victim's apartment. Detectives piecing together 'digital puzzle' as they investigate report of attack on 'Empire' actor Jussie Smollett

4) Approximate location of the attack. 'Empire' actor attacked in possible hate crime in Chicago: police
Police asked for anyone near the location of the attack at the time to contact the tip line:
Anthony Guglielmi on Twitter

Here are things I am curious about:
1) The Daily Mail article cited earlier Jussie Smollett covers his face and retreats with family members in Los Angeles | Daily Mail Online says
"The 36-year-old actor was walking down the street and the two men were sitting on a bench facing opposite him."
You can see from the map that the area of the attack is restricted to a small section of E. North Water Street. If you look on google street view, I am not seeing a bench visible. Perhaps you can see it. If there is no bench here, then that seems the perps must have followed him, however I have not seen that mentioned. The police asked for those in the area of E. North Water to call the tip line. I would think they would ask for anyone on this street but also anyone on McClurg Ct. who may have seen the perps following the victim. That is curious to me. Of course I may have this wrong - maybe he saw them on the way to the Subway but only then saw them again at the site of the attack. Confusing.

2) If the attack were a random act of opportunity, I find it curious that the perps were able to recognize the victim. The temp was around -10 degrees
(National Weather Service Climate)
and while the distance to the Subway is only ~1/4 mile, it still requires one to be suitably clothed. It is curious that the victim could be recognized as either gay and/or an actor in a TV series. It is also quite curious that the perps would have a liquid substance, perhaps bleach, and a rope that was tied in a noose with them. Did they have these on them? Were they milling around with these items on the coldest night in years waiting for opportunity? Did they spot the victim then go find these items somewhere, tie the rope in a noose, then go find the victim to assault him?

3) Given the likelihood of a random attack seems small, it would seem more likely to me that this was a targeted attack. This raises other curious things. For example, how did they know that the victim would leave his apartment at such a late hour to get a sandwich? Did they follow him there? If so, it is curious that he didn't spot them staking out the apartment? Unless this is when he saw them on the bench? It is very curious to me that the perps would sit on a bench in that weather. How long would it be possible for people to sit outside in that weather, even bundled up? The surveillance pictures don't show the perps carrying things. If they had bleach, they must have had it on their person, i.e. under their coat or at least in a pocket, because bleach would freeze if left exposed. So the amount of bleach must have been what one could carry in a container in their coat. I find this curious they would opt to carry out the attack at this time of night, under these severe weather conditions.

I can't seem to find any benches on google maps newest street view (July '18) on New Street, McClurg Ct, North Water or Illinois St.. Maybe someone can tell me where these benches are located?

Curious to see how the bleach remained in liquid form, when it freezes at 18 to 19 degrees F. Since the temperature was in the single digits that night, and these perps were waiting to attack out in the -10 below zero windchill temperatures.
Definately had to have brought the bleach with them, since both CVS and Target in the area are closed at and before midnight and the bleach would've turned into a popsicle by 2:00am.
Did they find the car belonging to these perps that kept the bleach from freezing solid?

It is good to know that it is reported that both his Subway sandwich and his cell phone received no damage during the brutal beat down...
Rafer Weigel (@RaferWeigel) | Twitter

The Curious Case of Jussie Smollett

Last edited:
"CNN's Don Lemon spoke to Smollett last week, and the actor told him he was shaken and angry that an attack like this could happen. He told him that he fought back against the attackers."

With an unscathed sandwich and phone, and also while being on the phone? And honestly, I don't care what color he is, who he votes for, or who he sleeps with. If this was Adam Corolla or Brad Pitt, I'd be just as curious. I'm disgusted by people saying folks are only suspicious because of race, him being gay, etc. I like to SLEUTH and look for holes in stories, just like any other story. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of this mess. That being said, if this indeed happened, for whatever reason, I hope the assailants are prosecuted.

How does one go about doing that?

That's a tough question.
I also, watched his videos on TMZ from his concert last night. Considering the initial reports about his ribs being broken and or bruised, it is no less than a miracle to see his dance moves on stage. Whatever miracle cure he has for pain, I need some of it...

Will probably have my post removed for this but here goes:

If the victim was on the phone with his friend when this occurred, the same friend who lives in the apartment, and this person heard the assault and "MAGA country" why wouldn't he have immediately hung up with the victim and called 911 to save his friends life. Rather let him indure a beating from the racist/homophobic Trump supporters. In other words I'll see you later when you get home, if you survive...

Some friend! I would hope if this was happening to me just a block from my roommate they would do everything in there power to help me....

If the victim was on the phone with his friend when this occurred, the same friend who lives in the apartment, and this person heard the assault and "MAGA country" why wouldn't he have immediately hung up with the victim and called 911 to save his friends life. Rather let him indure a beating from the racist/homophobic Trump supporters. In other words I'll see you later when you get home, if you survive...

Some friend! I would hope if this was happening to me just a block from my roommate they would do everything in there power to help me....

Made me think of what Prince Harry did when he heard his friend being mugged while on the phone with him but I guess those are extraordinary circumstances considering most of us don't have a policeman on hand to go out searching with but I think most of us would put someone on hold and call the police

Sorry if it has been posted or reported already. l could not find it. Do we know the exact pinpoint location of the attack?

If I can find out the exact spot where attacked happened I will take drive over there to see if I can find the cameras or lack of cameras and the exit points where cameras can be located.

It will be easy to deduct from cameras that are close to the area. They will show both the victim and assaliants leaving the areas not covered by missing cameras (area of 60 second gap) I'm sure assaliants didn't escape on a helicopter. There has to be a point where cameras will show both parties leaving, not just the victim.

I will also try to locate the park bench. I'm not located in the
City but about 30 miles away. Anyone live close to the alledge crime scene?

Jussie Smollett opens act with emotion: Attackers won't win

“I had to be here tonight, y’all. I couldn’t let those (expletives) win,” he said to screams and cheers from the packed room. “I will always stand for love. I will only stand for love.”

His small band then launched into an upbeat song and he broke into dance, wearing a simple white buttoned shirt, white sneakers and black jeans.

Smollett kept the tone lighter through a celebratory hour-long set.

He addressed the attack again directly only toward the end of his hour-slong set.

He told the crowd he wanted to clarify a few things. He was bruised but his ribs were not cracked. He went straight to the doctor but was not hospitalized, and physicians in both Chicago and Los Angeles cleared him to play but told him to be careful.

“And above all, I fought the (expletive) back,” he said to cheers.

Then he paused and said emphatically, “I’m the gay Tupac.”

He clearly states that he fought those guys off.
Besides being able to go on stage and dance with bruised ribs, he knows how to fight back with a Subway sandwich in one hand and a cell phone in the other.

I'm curious, Smollett's neighbor, the one using the racist slurs, saw two men, was it before or after the attack? You know, the two men in sweatshirts and hunting socks in subzero weather? Never mind, I just found it and the neighbor who is using racial slurs says the men were hanging around before the attack. An hour and a half in subzero temps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member