IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 *ARRESTS*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never heard of this actor before or his show.

I hope that Chicago finds these criminals.

The Curious Case of Jussie Smollett

Surveillance video shows Smollett walking into an apartment building and past security guards without stopping to ask them for help or to tell them he had just been subjected to a vicious assault and hate crime. In this video, he was wearing a rope around his neck “like a necktie but shaped like a noose,” according to a police spokesman. At some point the police were contacted and Smollett was interviewed in a friend’s apartment at 2:42 a.m. He asked police to turn off their body cameras so the encounter would not be recorded. At this point, he was still wearing the rope around his neck, police said.

So let’s recap what Smollett says happened, together with what Chicago reporters have heard from police. Two men recognized a gay black actor from a TV show at 2a.m. on a Chicago street during an extreme cold snap while he was on his phone. Instead of taking the phone from him, they began to shout slurs at him. The assailants happened to have a rope and an unknown liquid with them. They put a rope around his neck, but instead of strangling him with it, they just left it there and then ran away. Instead of calling the police immediately on the phone, Smollett walked into an apartment building and past security, without informing anyone about the alleged assault, and he kept the rope around his neck for some three-quarters of an hour. He neglected to tell the police about the MAGA remark in this first interview, revealing it only later in a subsequent interview. He took himself to Northwestern Memorial Hospital that morning and was released later in the morning. TMZ posted a picture of Smollett with a small scratch or cut beneath his right eye.

One would think, at the very least, you would alert the security guard in your building that you were attacked in a vicious hate fueled way. He didn't know they weren't coming back for him.

The Curious Case of Jussie Smollett

Surveillance video shows Smollett walking into an apartment building and past security guards without stopping to ask them for help or to tell them he had just been subjected to a vicious assault and hate crime. In this video, he was wearing a rope around his neck “like a necktie but shaped like a noose,” according to a police spokesman. At some point the police were contacted and Smollett was interviewed in a friend’s apartment at 2:42 a.m. He asked police to turn off their body cameras so the encounter would not be recorded. At this point, he was still wearing the rope around his neck, police said.

One would think, at the very least, you would alert the security guard in your building that you were attacked in a vicious hate fueled way. He didn't know they weren't coming back for him.

Is there a study that shows everytime someone is attacked they will tell every person they come across? Because assuming this never happened because he didnt tell the security guard as he went back to his home, the only safe place he can go at the moment is kinda out there.

When i was attacked by 2 people as a teen, I walked back to the school I was going to summer school at, I passed multiple people while my face was bloody, i didnt grab their coat tails, I walked to the school where I felt safe.

That doesnt prove anything. It certainly doesnt disprove CPD Superintendent saying that he is a victim and has no reason to doubt him.

and not to mention that the National Review is not known for taking an ubiased fair look at things
National Review - Media Bias/Fact Check

Is there a study that shows everytime someone is attacked they will tell every person they come across? Because assuming this never happened because he didnt tell the security guard as he went back to his home, the only safe place he can go at the moment is kinda out there.

When i was attacked by 2 people as a teen, I walked back to the school I was going to summer school at, I passed multiple people while my face was bloody, i didnt grab their coat tails, I walked to the school where I felt safe.

That doesnt prove anything. It certainly doesnt disprove CPD Superintendent saying that he is a victim and has no reason to doubt him.

and not to mention that the National Review is not known for taking an ubiased fair look at things
National Review - Media Bias/Fact Check

Considering the security guards were in his building, I would expect a reasonable person would tell the security guards that they had just been attacked. He didn't have to seek the security guards out. Surveillance shows he walked right past them. I think it's odd and that's fine if you don't.

Considering the security guards were in his building, I would expect a reasonable person would tell the security guards that they had just been attacked. He didn't have to seek the security guards out. Surveillance shows he walked right past them. I think it's odd and that's fine if you don't.

There has been so many instances of victims doing just what Jussie did. Him not telling every person he passed by no means says he was not assaulted.

Perhaps the intention was to cause fear (to tone down his beliefs) and that was why he had only a scratch on his face.
Of course more harm was done to him than the scratch.IMO
He isn't a large person and it would be easy for two guys to take him down.
Maybe he didn't report right away due to shock or just didn't want the attention the attack would bring.IMO

This post lands at random in relation to what is victim friendly.

If members wish to discuss conflicting reports in MSM, you must link to them and you may respectfully discuss discrepancies. In doing so however, you may NOT make insinuations or accusations against a victim.

WS isn't a rag mag, gossip type of forum. This is a victim friendly forum, and unless LE or MSM conclude that a victim is not a victim, members should err on the side of caution in how they discuss a victim at Websleuths.

Example, if an article reports that the victim says attacker had green eyes and another reports that he said brown eyes, you may discuss possible reasons for such a discrepancy (i.e. maybe reporter was wrong, maybe lighting was difficult, maybe victim was traumatized, etc). You may NOT say things to the effect "oh, the victim is probably lying" or "just can't seem to keep his story straight".

Any further questions in that regard, please message a Mod or Admin directly for clarification.

There has been so many instances of victims doing just what Jussie did. Him not telling every person he passed by no means says he was not assaulted.

You keep saying "him not telling everyone he passed". No one has ever suggested it's odd or not normal to tell everyone you passed that you were assaulted. This strikes me as being deliberately obtuse on your part in acting like not telling security guards you were attacked is normal though. There is a world of difference in telling every person you pass you were attacked and not telling SECURITY GUARDS that you pass. The security guards are there for that very purpose. Security. Safety. They work in your place of residence. THAT is what stands out as very odd.

There is a world of difference in telling every person you pass you were attacked and not telling SECURITY GUARDS that you pass. The security guards are there for that very purpose. Security. Safety. They work in your place of residence. THAT is what stands out as very odd.

Plus, you would think you would be itching to specifically tell someone safe the first chance you got near the safe person; i.e. known security guards, your doorman-type person, etc.

I can also see/understand people in shock they've been attacked not telling strangers, better than I can understand them not telling people they know; because there's probably some atavistic instinct kicking in right after you have been assaulted, telling you not to trust other strangers milling around you who, for all you know, might be "in on it" with the original attackers. (Or, maybe I just watch too many horror movies...!)

Bottom line is that Jussie is a victim, as of now, and this is an ongoing investigation. Period. And all we have to go on is the reporting by MSM which may or may not be accurate.

We've seen many unbelievable cases here on WS, a victim friendly site.

Seems to me as a person of note (in spite of the slurs on being a star and talent) he may have wanted to keep the attack as private as possible.
Who could blame him. Look what it has brought him.
Security guards talk, so do EMS.
Maybe this is why he didn't call 911 or drove himself to the hospital.
Maybe he was ashamed to be in the position he was in.
We don't know what he was thinking after he was attacked.IMO

-> Chicago's WFLD reporter Rafer Weigel on the Jussie Smollett situation

"Police source tells Fox32 that Smollett was seen on the surveillance video carrying the Subway sandwich in his hand when he returned after the alleged attack."

So, he had a sandwich in one hand, and a phone (talking to his manager) in the other while he was being brutally attacked? And he was still eating the sandwich after the attack? Serious question. I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

Last edited:
It's possible that there's a connection between the threatening letter, received just one week earlier and the alleged attack. Maybe someone knew that he would be leaving his apartment at 2:00 am and had the perps on scene shortly there after ready to attack/scare him. It could have been planned in advance with knowledge of where the cameras in the immediate area are.

I'm leaning more to a possible targeted attack. Someone knew exactly who he is and where he was going to be. I think it's less likely that two random perps are hanging out at 2:00 am in extreme cold weather, with bleach and a noose, in the hopes that a gay, black man happens to walk by.

The letter and attack seem very coincidental to me and I hope LE is exploring this angle.

Jussie Smollett says now is the time to be 'blacker and gayer' - CNN

"The "Empire" actor said Tuesday that he was attacked by two men who were "yelling out racial and homophobic slurs"..

Smollett said one of his attackers put a rope around his neck and poured an unknown chemical substance on him.

During his concert Saturday night ... .Smollett told fans that he wanted to clarify that following the attack, he was bruised but his ribs were neither cracked nor broken. He also said that he went to the doctor immediately, but he wasn't hospitalized, and physicians ...cleared him to perform at the concert."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drumgirl29