IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime Jan 2019 #5 Smollett indicted”

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should protest. (But dont block traffic! lol)

People who have evidence proving their crimes are let off all the time. Protests have been happening regularly for almost 5 years. Its America, this is hardly new.

And im strongly against that, of course

Screaming in the streets doesn’t achieve the same thing as having cases handled by the book.

A jury letting someone off, is not the same as a prosecutor doing something unprecedented, when the suspect is a celebrity.

If the prosecution cited “lack of evidence,” that would be one thing.

Instead, they have said the opposite.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant protest to get justice served.

It's what people in this country have had to do when someone who had evidence against them for a heinous crime is let off because of perpetrators employment. Protest in search of justice.

Basically, “this happens all the time, but quick, find the cases that illustrate that this happens all the time.”

CBS 2 has obtained an internal email from the Cook County State's Attorney's Office regarding a search for felony cases dropped under similar circumstances to the Jussie Smollett case.

We are looking for examples of cases, felony preferable, where we, in excersing [sic] our discretion, have entered into verbal agreements with defense attorneys to dismiss charges against an offender if certain conditions were met, such as the payment of restitution, completion of community service, completion of class, etc., but the defendant was not placed in a formal diversion program,” the email states.

CBS Chicago on Twitter

Started with..We are looking for examples of cases, felony preferable, where we, in excersing [sic] our discretion, have entered into verbal agreements with defense attorneys to dismiss charges against an offender if certain conditions were met, such as the payment of restitution, completion of community service, completion of class, etc., but the defendant was not placed in a formal diversion program,” the email states

Yet they forgot something so simple that was done in the Kelsey berreth case with KKL.

..and admittance of guilt, and keeping their trap shut after we give them the sweet deal.

Maybe he didnt do it, or they felt they couldnt win.
He's doing the very same punishment he would have been sentenced to.

That simply is not true though.

Even Magats said yesterday they had the evidence to convict him. Magats also said he knew JS was not innocent either.

This is very reason this sweeping under the rug deal shouldn't have ever happened.

Imo

Someone mentioned other cases have "actual victims".
This case has a number of victims as well: the LE officers assigned to this case who spent hours working this case for nothing, the taxpayers who pay said LE salary in order for them to investigate crimes, anyone who may wear a MAGA hat perceived as racist due to this supposed hate crime. (doesn't that display hate as well? having them wear a MAGA hat to stereotype an entire group of people who are for MAGA?).....I could go on and on.

JMO

ETA: What about other actual crimes that didn't get the time that could have been devoted to them due to LE being focused on this?

Who said anything about "put away for life?" The man broke the law. His charges were dropped and the deal was sealed. I think people want to see justice in action, not preferential treatment for people with friends in high places.

Personally, I think he should have gone to prison.

I'm not militant about how long he would have gone - I'd be happy with 6 months; I'd have been happy with 6 weeks - as long as it resulted in a real change in his circumstances that gave him time to reflect, on the general "Scared Straight" principle (or maybe, "Scared out of Lying"). This experience has taught him nothing, except maybe the wrong things; and clearly the prosecutor's office doesn't care if JS 100% misrepresents (or straight-up lies about) their treatment and consequences, as "exonerating [me] of all charges".

No. You keep saying that. It’s not true.

Precedent involves an admission of guilt, and results in a criminal record.

That is the absolute biggest punishment of all, and is a standard one.
I have to say it's hard for me to forgive and move on when Smolett hasn't admitted guilt for the horrible things he has done. JMO

Based on precedent wouldnt he get similar punishment anyway? I mean dropping the charges is weird, but I do think IF he did it he should confess.

But if he didnt, I dont think anyone should make false confessions ever.
If he says he didn't do it, then he needs to be given a fair and transparent trial like anyone else.

Someone mentioned other cases have "actual victims".
This case has a number of victims as well: the LE officers assigned to this case who spent hours working this case for nothing, the taxpayers who pay said LE salary in order for them to investigate crimes, anyone who may wear a MAGA hat perceived as racist due to this supposed hate crime. (doesn't that display hate as well? having them wear a MAGA hat to stereotype an entire group of people who are for MAGA?).....I could go on and on.

JMO

ETA: What about other actual crimes that didn't get the time that could have been devoted to them due to LE being focused on this?

Chicago is a big city with many many many officers. "other crimes" were not ignored.

Now if this was a small dept say like Effingham, IL, then I'd agree with you.

If he says he didn't do it, then he needs to be given a fair and transparent trial like anyone else.
Right, no special treatment. But understand that means there will be no difference in punishment other than a legal charge of guilt. He would likely be sentenced similar to other similar cases

The deal was sealed, so we don't know what the deal is other than the charges were dropped.
They literally said he has to do/done community service and pay 10k.
Thats more than what what other hoaxers had to pay. Thats just the facts.

If he's guilty there should be a trial. I agree on that.

JS was arrested for DUI in California in 2007. He gave false information identifing himself and signed his brother’s name to the arrest ticket.

He pled guilty to the charges and finished his penalty

Why is this lesser (misdemeanor) guilty plea on the books when the arrest with 16 felony charges was removed from all records?

JS was arrested for DUI in California in 2007. He gave false information identifing himself and signed his brother’s name to the arrest ticket.

He pled guilty to the charges and finished his penalty

Why is this lesser (misdemeanor) guilty plea on the books when the arrest with 16 felony charges was removed from all records?

Why was this NOT considered to be a previous record??

Its not true that he had no criminal record. just not true.

They literally said he has to do/done community service and pay 10k.
Thats more than what what other hoaxers had to pay. Thats just the facts.

If he's guilty there should be a trial. I agree on that.

Why would he do community service and pay a fine if he did nothing wrong? The charges were dropped, which means there is no punishment.

Where does the money factor in? Did he buy (bribe) his way out of the charges?

He paid a fine and will do/done community service.
Thats the precedent for this crime.
Justice has been served tbh.
It was not court ordered community service that he was credited for.
Nothing that I saw states that he has to commit to any hours of any court ordered community service in the future. Apparently the volunteer help that he did prior was counted as community service done. The fine was paid by the bail that was posted after his arrest.

I get that, but its the same crime. Precedent shows this is the kind of punishment it receives. No celebrity should get special treatment, good or bad. So why do people want him put away for life for something other people continuously get fines/community service for.

I'm not sure where are you are reading such, but it is not here.

Moo

Folks here are more upset oh, that I have seen, that he did not have to admit to it. And that part of the prosecutor's sweet deal not only included such to admit it, but keep his mouth shut.

I disagree, this case does set a precedent. The two cases you linked to did not involve celebrities/actors and did not make global headlines.

The person who faked this nauseating hate crime hoax is not an Average Joe. He's reasonably famous, is a known activist, and has friends in high places.

This was a staged hate crime in a city that has a high rate of violent crime and sometimes volatile race relations.

What if an innocent person was murdered because of JS's hoax?

What about all the real crimes that needed police attention, but resources were diverted because a celebrity staged a hate crime to get attention?

Why all the secrecy around the charges being dropped?

IMHO there are no similar hoax cases that received so much publicity, with far-reaching consequences.

ETA: in other cases where hate crimes have been hoaxed the person who created the hoax usually apologizes and admits to what they did. Smollett is as smug as ever, gloating that he got off and is still faking his alleged "attack". He needs to come clean instead of hiding behind his celebrity status.

We'll agree to disagree. Moving on...

moo

I love your post- cause you said everything i was thinkng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads